Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Ola posted:

At first it might seem weird that the diesel guy types the titles and descriptions in all caps, but not when you realize he speaks in all caps as well.

This sums up this guy exactly, and now I'm going to be stuck watching his videos all afternoon because of his hilariously entertaining enunciation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

IT WAS FRIDAY AFTERNOON, BEER WAS CALLING " HEY I'M IN THE FRIDGE COME DRINK ME"

Fixed that for ya

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

drzrma posted:

They do tend to collapse if buried, and they rust like nobody's business if they are allowed to stay damp. I thought I saw someone in AI that had built one into a pretty decent looking shop, but I can't remember who or when.

I remember that it was a turbo dodge guy, if that's any help.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Which motor in your Camaro?

I think my dad sold his old 3.8 with a bad HG for a lemon LT1.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Friends 05 Subaru Legacy GT.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Neons seem to love to catch fire. At rallycross a few falls ago we were just hanging out and random lovely craigslist neon is on fire a few cars over in the paddock. oops.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I broke a lateral link on my subaru :psyduck:

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Shroomie posted:

How about impending horrible mechanical failures?

I drove my truck around all week with 2 quarts of really burnt 20W-50, 2 quarts of SAE30 compressor oil, and a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil.

I'm going to flush it and put good oil in it tomorrow, but I'm all but convinced the 302 is invincible (mostly because I drove it for a few hundred miles with just the 2 quarts of 20W-50 in it).

Yes, they are. We took a 130k+ mile one, strapped on a supercharger running 8psi, and ran it at the track. It was pushing so much oil out of every nook and cranny after a few summers, but still ran fine.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Hillridge posted:

so much for that.

What state were you thinking about doing this in? I may have a good location in NH (also near a train yard!)

If this happens in NH, I would come on a weekend. Could try and get sis to bring her fancy rear end DSLR. I wanna see poo poo get hosed up.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

So should we start a "melt the gently caress out of huge motors using crazy rear end science + oh yeah new england AI meet" thread?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

kastein posted:

do it!

I am officially offering my redneck yard full of jeeps, parts jeeps, tractors, and home renovation debris as a cookout/destruction location. Plenty of parking available, so long as you have at least the ground clearance of an 01 Audi lowered 1".

(I'm central mass, right at the 84/90 junction, if that's too far from everyone, nevermind)

I'm fine with starting the thread, I just don't want to step on Sponge!'s toes since he brought up the melting motor awesomeness.

We do need to get a spring new england AI meet thread going though. Plus I wanna see some sexy MJ's kastein...

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

kastein posted:

you are looking to the wrong guy if you want to see sexy MJs.

Mine are all basket cases.

Trick question. All MJs are sexy MJs.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Cross post from my stupid project ramble fest thread:

gently caress

Drivers side 1:

Drivers side 2 + 3:

There you have it. Three pistons are hosed on the drivers side of the motor.

Either headgasket failure with coolant in the combustion chamber, or poo poo tune leaning out and destroying pistons? I'm not sure what to think really. Cylinder walls are also smooth as well... Motor is coming out ASAP. Hoping to have it rebuilt for memorial day weekend.

(Ford mustang 302 turned 341)

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Lord Gaga posted:

If that motor isnt naturally aspirated check out the lifter valley and other crack prone spots as well. It doesnt take much power for detonation to cause a block to split.

8psi procharger supercharger. Will inspect it thoroughly next time I'm working on it.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

So this happened today.

At a rallycross.

On a WRX.

The thing SUCKED dirt in like no ones business.

Black poo poo came out of the intercooler.

Lets get some gas to clean it out:

After running gas through the intercooler and cleaning out the inlet and y pipe, AND doing an oil change (with shinies in the oil), it got bolted back together and we headed home. The wrx went into limp mode.

We get to maine and start pulling codes with a code reader. Idle air control valve blah blah blah other codes blah blah blah. Then the turbo started making funny noises.

They're driving it 2 hours north. Hopefully it holds together and they can swap a spare turbo on. Whoops!

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Dielectric posted:

Or, the car's ABS could just be total crap like Subaru's was around 2003. Braking hard on a ripply surface in my WRX was rewarded with the ABS going apeshit and the pedal sinking to the floor. Stock wheels with whatever Falken's were popular at the time. It liked to do that in snow, too. Tons of guys just pulled the ABS fuse in anticipation of aggressive driving.

Impreza 2002 owner here. Yep. It was poo poo. I pulled my ABS fuse and sensors and wired up my bulb to flash on key on because seriously, the abs is going to hurt more then help. I learned to drive on a jeep without abs and know what threshold braking is. The abs used to go apeshit on my RS under tarmac braking.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Post Pictures of Horrible life threatening car work situations.

Guy working on a minivan in the air with a scissor jack and nothing else.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

sharkytm posted:

Facing the wrong way on a one way... Stay classy Maine, stay classy.

Jokes on you. Waltham Massachusetts. We're classier than that in Maine, our low incomes do that poo poo in dirt driveways.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

I blasted the Volvo's flywheel on so

My RS has had its flywheel impacted on every time. Whoopsie

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Not mine. Friend works in a shop.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Transmission on my free parts forester

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Geirskogul posted:

:wrxdrivers:

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

subaru owners are loving idiots.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

My Outback Sport has a hood scoop and vents. Sorry you guys are poor.

You can actually unbolt the vents to get some more airflow but I don't really see the point.

They also leak water onto things in the engine bay if you take the covers off.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I've done that. Didn't torque the lugs on my RS and drove a few feet and things start feeling funny when I'm pulling out of the driveway. Scored the gently caress out of the inside of the rim with the brake rotor. Just zip wheeled the rim and bolted it back on and didn't tell a soul about my stupidity.

Until now.

Oops.

This is why I have a service crew now.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

Driven in today :stare:

Subaru!

I've actually seen them with the dealer rear diff skid where dirt gets in their and rots out the cast casing.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

We were wondering what the hell that plate used to be :v:

Yup its common for the diff skid to hold sediment and moisture against the rear cases and erode them away. If you have one on a car its a good idea to at least pressure wash poo poo out of it at least once. Luckily subaru rear diff swaps aren't a bad job to do, especially if you have oxy ace.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Technically it hasn't failed yet.

This came out when I dropped my rally car skidplate today.

I also put it back in, no fucks given. I'll fab better attachment means this fall.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Local idiot didn't change his timing belt or something:

Slow is Fast fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 9, 2014

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

some texas redneck posted:

Looks like a DOHC Subaru. If it is, that's the intake cam gear saying peek-a-boo.

An AI goon's timing belt video turns up when you GIS "subaru dohc timing belt" :v: I wanna say that's jamal, but I'm not 100%.

DOHC subaru

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Gear wrenches are great when the nut is already free spinning and needs to go on or off. If you need to break stuff loose or get a nut off through a pile of rust smegma threads, then you need to use a regular wrench to save the gearing in the gear wrench head.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Root Bear posted:

1997 Dodge Caravan. The left front strut tower rotted to the point of decapitation:

I wasn't about to even try putting it up on the lift to find out what else was wrong with it, this one is done for.

http://www.dormanproducts.com/Pages/advancetraining/strut-tower-repair-cap-kits.html

I don't even

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

loving deer ran out of the woods and hit my dads old DD mustang right around dawn one day and then rolled down the side of the car:

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?27716-How-not-to-do-an-engine-swap-%28my-12-valve-Cummins-into-97-F-350-thread%29

This whole thread of PO fuckery.

I was going to start relinking pics and stuff, but holy hell just read that whole thread. I'm still shaking my head.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Seconding ford 302.

We fed it 8psi of boost through a procharger for years and it was finally retired because it was pushing so much oil out of every crevice it caught fire. Still ran great after it was put out and some wiring fixed up.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

It's usually always that lower driver side one too. They fail before the belt ever does.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

This is why I have a fire extinguisher in every car I drive. And if I am driving a car that isn't mine I will move a bottle over. A few toots would have made everyone's day a lot easier.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Just Subaru, as far as I know (though almost everyone seems to be going to high-boron steel for at least part of their unibodies, which should offer similar side-impact protection). They offer special guidance and training for firefighters to teach them how to cut through the frame with the jaws of life, but early on they didn't do that, leading to firefighters having to figure it out the hard way:

Yeah this makes a ton of sense why my B pillar didn't move but my C pillar section got what the gently caress owned.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I'd go get the gun