Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
So, uhm, don't drive around with leaky acetylene tanks in your FJ. Or something.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/general-discussion/139018-i-blew-up-my-fj-literally.html

quote:

i had an acetylene bottle in my truck, the valve was bumped so slightly and over night the truck filled with the gas. i noticed the smell, and opened the doors to air out the truck. i drove the truck out of the garage to get some more air movement. i went to roll the pass side window down and as soon as i touched the power windows. BAM. with me in the truck. i lost all hearing out of my right ear and got a scratch on the back of my head. all things considering, im alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

Yellow jackets from hell.

'55 Chevy apparently? What'd the owner do, park it in the garage with the window down in '57 and then die in their sleep for some poor soul to stumble upon?

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

It's a Jeep. You could be working on one in a zero-G environment with padded everything everywhere and still end up with lacerations, burns and smashed fingers anyway. Why fight the inevitable? :v:

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

Fucknag posted:

Run them in parallel.

Depends on the climate, really. Most owners that live in hotter regions will usually bypass the radiator cooler (heat exchanger, actually) altogether while colder regions keep it in the loop to help heat up the trans fluid. I ditched my stock cooler, bypassed the radiator in put in a large aluminum B&M stacked plate type.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

Well, it had potential to be a horrible mechanical failure. Air filter logo clip (Spectre) that sits across one of the filter ribs got sucked into a 4.0 throttle body. Thankfully it bottomed out on the intake manifold. Barely.

(not mine)

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

If you're not going to fix your electrical gremlins, at least make sure you or someone in your group has a fire extinguisher.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

kastein posted:

Man, that blows. Early model XJ, looks like... wiring? Fuel lines melt through? Puncture the trans cooler lines and it sprayed on the exhaust?

That's exactly why I carry a fire extinguisher in my POS.

1. carry at least a 10 pounder, preferably a 10 pounder and a few 5 pounders, you'd be surprised how little a fire extinguisher does if you don't have an ideal angle to spray from.
2. if the fire is under the hood DO NOT OPEN THE HOOD! It'll flare up, you should be shooting up from underneath if possible, if you have to, punch holes in the hood with something and spray through them. It makes a mess, but it limits oxygen to the fire while you're trying to put it out.
3. Most importantly, ignition off the second you realize it's on fire. No need to keep the fuel pump running, increasing your problems.
4. extinguishers should be within easy reach of the driver and preferably passenger as well while fully belted in.

'94 I think, suspected blower motor because it was always stuck on HI. So it started behind the dash.

Good fire extinguishing tips. :)

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

^^^
VTEC, yo.

And here's what happens when you cheap out on a proper lift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yr9Yt5yrIg

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

I think it was some sort of 'home brew' long arm with the passenger upper control arm left out. (3 link! :downs:)

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

Well there was only one upper connected, so it wouldn't have taken much.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

:stare:

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

Found some video of it, apparently it was in Quebec. Looks like a bunch of Canadians just trashing the poo poo out of old rigs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEuvm5IBV9M

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

Or the owner fully epitomizes that license plate.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

The 4.0 loves to run at 210 degrees (especially in northern climates this time of year.) You can get up to 3 MPG just by swapping the rec'd 195 thermostat out for a 205. I know a guy hitting right around 25 MPG in a '99 auto with 3.55's and 30" tires. With 3.73's and a manual he could probably hit 27+.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

Centrifugal clutch on a Gator...

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

Godholio posted:

I've been past Chicago a few times, but only actually checked it out once. Naturally it was overcast. The guy at the door of the Sears Tower (gently caress you, Willis) warned me that visibility was zero above about the 20th floor so I didn't go in. :(

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

kastein posted:

96-down XJs are known for blower motor switch and harness/connector failures just like that as well.

Yep. I didn't witness this, but I was at the same spot the weekend after to see the scorch marks on the ground. Bad blower motor, wheeled anyway, no extinguishers.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

That was actually the end of the trail, so it's just a short trip downhill along a dirt road for maybe a mile back to the campground. lovely thing is they left it there overnight, then came back the next day to pick it up and all but one bolt in the front bumper was gone and all of the tools, hi-lift and snatch blocks that survived were taken.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

Geico dropped me completely via mail notice after I called one day to inquire if my winch would be covered in case of theft. Because I occasionally take my vehicle off-road, I guess.

gently caress your insurance, anything I bend or break I'll fix myself for a fraction of the deductible. I just want coverage from rear end in a top hat drivers and thieves.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

dissss posted:

The first one looks like it could represent tyre pressure to me. No idea on the second.

It's clearly indicating that it's running low on Devo.

TIME TO WHIP IT