Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Billy Tully posted:

I had the same thing happen to me on an ancient small block Chevy, EZout did the trick.

All EZout success pictures should be just like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Fucknag posted:

Almost looks like the fiber mats were stretched over a wireframe as opposed to being laid in a mold, might have something to do with it. Those front fenders look wrinkly as gently caress.

I don't think I've ever seen homemade carbon fiber look "good", really. I've seen some very functional poo poo, but never anything that is highly symmetric.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

MadScientistWorking posted:

No they fixed the problem where an inordinate amount of them failed early. Capacitor rot as a failure mode is incredibly common especially in older devices because of the inherent problems of having a device that relies on water to operate correctly. I just dealt with a 200V power supply that I assumed was going to catch on fire because my initial assumption was that the electrolytic capacitors were completely devoid of any water.

That's...not how it works. Capacitors from like the 50's and poo poo have electrolyte that dried out after decades, but aluminum electrolytic capacitors are entirely sealed. Devices from a decade ago failed due to the "capacitor plague", where stolen (incomplete) electrolyte formulas were used by lovely no-name manufacturers. Over time, this bad electrolyte broke down and generated gas, causing the capacitors to vent. Other (good) capacitors fail due to being exposed to temperatures or voltages they are not rated for, which can also cause them to break down and vent.

But they aren't filled with water. They are filled with electrolyte. It's what capacitors crave.

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 19, 2014

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Hillridge posted:

I'll get a video of ours this weekend. This is the same style tube being test fired by some guy in his kitchen. The green is the coolant line that goes through the tube and connects to a chiller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03u-r1KW2LA&t=97s

This is comically unsafe.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

SlapActionJackson posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfnEuRA7-vo

This video appears to be about the same incident and has some explanation (and some gruesome details of his death). Basically his fatal sin was using a common 600v multimeter to probe a 2300V circuit. It touched off arc flash and sent a threw a mean fireball straight at his face, burning him to death.

Unfortunately, no.

Haha, did you even look? Those two videos are completely unrelated. More than one dude has been fried by an arc flash.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Terrible Robot posted:

while he had remembered to put a fuse in the circuit, he had installed it on the ground side :fuckoff:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but this doesn't really change anything. There are probably standards and best practices and stuff, but a fuse doesn't care which wire it's on.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

drzrma posted:

It does if there's another path to ground that doesn't include the fuse, which is what sounds like happened. In an ideal circuit with only one possible path it shouldn't matter.

If there was another path to ground then the switch shouldn't have worked at all :confused:

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

drzrma posted:

The switch was likely in the correct place, on the positive side. Insulation melts before the fuse, shorts to chassis avoiding the fuse. Switched supply is still providing power, now directly to the chassis/negative side.

If the insulation is melting off your wires, then it still matter where your fuse is, since you'd potentially have uninsulated wire on both sides of the fuse.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

True, but the closer the fuse is to the +12V source, the less likely there is to be a short-to-ground on that side of it.

Oh most definitely, it just seemed like the fuse was a total red herring in this instance.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Agent RE-RE posted:

Absolutely, if i had any say in the calipers we used they would be dial calipers. Unfortunately I have NO say, and since our tools must be calibrated and certified biannually, I can't just bring the lovely set I have at home. :mad:

All of ourtesting equipment (multimeters, oscilloscopes, power supplies, airflow sensors, force gauges, adjustable-torque tools, etc...) is calibrated every 6 months as well, but the place that does it will calibrate basically anything (I think we send our stuff to Tektronix, who surprisingly will calibrate any manufacturer's stuff). This includes stuff I've brought from home for a couple of random tests, and dollar-store stopwatches.

Next time we send stuff for cal, I want to try to get a traceable calibration for my ruler...

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

freelop posted:

More of a mechanical success from the point of the view of the gate

If you're just going to repost poo poo from reddit, at least post the explanation:

http://www.visir.is/flips-car-in-parking-garage/article/2014141029556

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Some of the Sheep posted:

And where's the explanation in that link?

Memento posted:

There isn't one. There is no explanation beyond "maybe vodka, maybe meth, maybe an argument, maybe just stupidity".

If you need an explanation beyond "Iceland" then I don't know what to tell you.

The place is weird

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

kastein posted:

The problem is that the Braille reps claimed (verbally, so unfortunately no proof) that this battery had internal balancing, and the Braille-branded chargers that were used with these batteries claim to have magical balancing capability while only connecting to the end terminals of the pack. Clearly this is bullshit, because at least two packs have failed due to cell unbalance, one causing a fire, and I'd bet a significant amount of money that the other two will show severe cell imbalances as well if I crack them open and measure each cell pair.

I completely agree that lithium based batteries should be balanced regularly, preferably during every charge. And I can't believe these guys are making $300 (less operating costs, labor, etc, of course) off each of these batteries while making these verifiably false claims. Am I the first person to actually open one of their batteries up or something?

I dragged the remains of the one that caught fire out of the dumpster this morning and am debating taking some pictures of that as well. It's pretty hosed inside, though the outside looks mostly alright. The best part? It got hot enough that those goober-soldered cables on the battery tabs melted loose and slid around, because they broke the usual rule of wiring which states that splices shall be mechanically stable without solder, even if soldered, so they don't come loose and wander around if the solder melts due to a failure. SURPRISE!

If I could show pictures of the internals of the li-ion battery packs we have manufactured for our devices, you might break down weeping. Multiple die-cut solder tabs, a molded plastic cell holder to prevent cell-failure chain reactions, wiring laid out by actual engineers, etc...

The wiring thing, however, is common. We have some batteries that have the tabs soldered directly to battery circuit board, and others that have wires running from the tabs to the PCA. No further mechnical reinforcement is added to those connections (beyond tape) because they can never move, and also because if the battery has gotten hot enough to melt solder than multiple levels of protection have failed* and that battery should be in flames. I think we had one version of a battery with a single tab that wasn't soldered--i think we had a PTC thermistor spot welded to one tab, with a wire crimp on the other side. Other than that, every battery i've seen from multiple extremely-reputable supplies has been designed this way.

*Specifically, our batteries have multiple thermistors (connected to the smart battery IC) and thermal fuses.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

kastein posted:

:effort:

So I dug in further. If anyone wanted to make a case for fraud, here you go.

Tore the two failed cells out of the pack, then realized the labels were definitely two labels on top of each other, not a single custom printed heatshrink sleeve as most companies use. So I peeled the outer label off:

:lol:

This is a 4S2P pack constructed from A123 Systems ANR26650M1A cells. A123 is good poo poo, but...
A123 Systems produces a 4S2P pack. It is professionally spotwelded and heatshrunk and uses high strand tinned super flexible silicone insulated wire leads, far superior to the garbage Braille used.
This is a Braille 4S2P pack, built with the same exact cells.

So, I think these are LiFePO4 cells instead of standard Li-Ion. This means they are safer when overcharged, which is a benefit for preventing self-ignition of unbalanced cells during charging, but does nothing to mitigate damage from over-discharging. It's still inexcusable not to balance charge them, but it's somewhat less dangerous than with normal Li-ion chemistries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Meydey posted:

Heading home after an hour in a warehouse parking lot. Wife thought she could handle a low traffic neighborhood street on the way home. Guess not.

To get a Learner's Permit in NJ when I was 16 I needed to spend a few hours with a driving instructor. He just drove me to some random residential street, had me take the wheel, and then just had me drive out of the suburb (so i could practice not hitting anything) and straight onto the highway ("make sure to go at least 70 here, only suckers do 50") so we could go pick up the cigars and whiskey he wanted.

Those were my first 10 minutes behind the wheel, because there is no other way to learn Jersey Style Driving.