Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
So did you come unglued as well when that happened? (sorry, had to)

Seriously, I'm not familiar with the suspension setup - what broke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

Return Loss posted:

Don't be so cryptic. I have no idea what that thing is, I don't have encyclopedic knowledge of all auto(?) parts, but I would like to learn something.

Looks like a distributor rotor that is extremely old. The left end would be the metal contact where the "spark" travels through. As it is very worn & blackened I also wonder how it ran.

/\/\/\ Really?

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Wow... was that driving still?

What's with the keys?

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
I couldn't see the wood for the keys...

(Sorry)

Totally missed that the first look.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

General_Failure posted:

I don't know if it's a bad idea but can't the hypothetical standard TPMS have a backing plate / tab that is attached to the wheel via a suitable adhesive?

It would be no different than a stick on wheel weight.

Edit: centripetal force would be holding it against the wheel. The force on the glue would be from rotational acceleration (both +/-)

Edit 2: haha holy poo poo I was thinking about it backwards. Never mind. Glue it to the tire :smugbert:

Timmy Cruise fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 7, 2014

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

OTOH this goes for petrol engines as well. E.g. the Ford Focus EcoBoost 1.0 100hp, 59mpg UK on paper, 39 in real life (extra-urban). The NEDC test is ridiculous and close to useless.

Canada changed the test procedure to a new one that gives numbers more in line with reality. On my Mazda2 the old combined was 6.7, now it's 7.4 (l/100km). Last tank I hit 7.3.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

14 INCH SLIT posted:

From osha.jpg

I'm choosing to believe that's urine under the truck, not coolant.

Its like mad max irl :stare:

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
:science:

concentration cell corrosion is what that is called. When you get a small space like that Ir accelerates the corrosion. I used to work on snowplow/sanding trucks which get salt everywhere. Alot of older trucks had the laminated frames which would have to get taken off of the road since they would have so much metal missing.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

Powershift posted:

The ford F-series trucks, and i would assume the dodges and chevies as well downshift to maintain cruise control speed.

Mazda's Skyactiv drivetrain will downshift to maintain speed going downhill. Surpised me when it did it at first.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

Crustashio posted:

i'm the bolt welded to the trailing arm.

If you can call that "welded"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007
Ballast for pulling or a front end loader. You fill the tires with water (with CaCl sometimes apparently) for extra weight. Helps with balance and traction.