Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Powershift posted:

and 9:01 monday morning his insurance company is going to tell him to gently caress off, and he's out 40 grand.

ouch.

When I used to amateur race a lot of the track days were called "driver training" that way it wasn't racing and could be claimed on your insurance*

*Or so I was told after watching someone flip their M3 over a wall. I always drove beaters and didn't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Rear Admiral BOOYA posted:

gently caress it, it's still got four wheels and a straight frame. It doesn't even look like it's out of alignment. :v:

What do you expect? It's a Toyota (I think).

I drove this one home last night after a friend rolled it.

Hard to tell from the picture the A-pillar is shoved in about 6". It came to rest with the back bumper on the pavement and the front end pointing to the sky. Wrecker flipped it back onto 4 wheels and it started right up and drove fine (A/C doesn't work anymore).

obso fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 16, 2012

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

You Am I posted:

Why the gently caress did you do that for, other than trying out insurance fraud?

Because it was less than a mile down the road. It was a single car accident and they only had liability so no one's getting defrauded. If I didn't think the engine would rip my samurai in half I'd keep it.

obso fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 17, 2012

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
Driving down the road, heard a bang followed by the familiar smell of gear grease.

My samurai decided it had too many parts in the trans. Found all this scattered along the road.

Nothing a little JB weld can't fix (and a generous dollop of silicone later to stop the leaks).

Those rods/pins were apparently unnecessary because its been a couple weeks now of driving it every day and it seems no worse for wear.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

atomicthumbs posted:

From those parts and his description, it sounds more like he blew out neutral.

I think you're right. I just went out and put it in neutral and it didn't go anywhere :( I do have to say though, the Samurai ranks right up there with Jeep 4.0's and Toyota Hilux's as tough bastards to kill.

Have some pictures (Hope I haven't posted these before, this threads been going a long time). Here's what happens when you feed a turbo Z a little too much NAWWZZZ.

Conrod soup.

Custom 3-piece crankshaft.

DefaultPeanut posted:

What the hell is that thing hanging? A Condenser?
Yeah, you can see it hanging off the back of the alternator in the first picture (80's electronics!)

obso fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 12, 2012

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

DJ Commie posted:

Neutral isn't a gear, its a grouping of detents on the shift rods. He lost the detent hardware it looks like, so now the translation from the shift level to the sliding of the gears on the shafts to engage various gears is now not working correctly.

:what:
I though atomicthumbs was being sarcastic. Now if you are too, it blew right over my head. As far as I can tell the trans shifts exactly the way it did before (and neutral is still neutral). I drive the truck every day to different job sites for work. Best $400 I ever spent.

VVV photoshop?

obso fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 14, 2012

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
Yes that's a hit and miss. Diesel.. I have no idea, probably. But under load they sound like a normal engine. Think of the "miss" part as a rev limiter, they shut off cylinders to maintain speed.

obso fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 19, 2012

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

kastein posted:

wow, only a couple in:

Says 709 on the top, AC line fittings on the rear of the compressor, coolant tube for heater core, battery placement, valve cover shape and material, and ignition wire location are all a direct match for... looks like a 95-96 Jeep Cherokee

If you wanna pick jeep parts out of that gallery, this looks an awful lot like a 4.0 water pump that went until the impeller rusted off!

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Seat Safety Switch posted:

How does that even happen? Seriously hosed tranny cooler?

The tranny cooler is just a tube coiled through the engine coolant. Doesn't take much to corrode and start letting the 2 mix.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Beach Bum posted:

Removing the studs is going to be a blast :flame:

Those look like they hammer out like most other studs. It's easy.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Sockington posted:

He's more worried about how it'll do into a wall/barrier/car/so forth.

Then take it to one of the "driver improvement" track days so you can cover it under insurance if you mash it up.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
Hah holy poo poo. What repair was it in for?

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

PhotoKirk posted:

Does this count? (My Flickr account, by the way.)

Is it on fire there? That's how much cruise ships normally smoke when they are setting in port. The big spoiler thing is where all the different engine exhausts come out.

obso fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 19, 2013

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
Yeah I see some coming off the roof behind the GIANT tv there. But all of the black smoke up top looks normal.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
To be fair only the first one looks like something vice grips couldn't fix.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Dizman posted:

We checked the rest of the rockers and two others were showing stress fractures. Pretty sure that rocker let go during the run when the tire blew out/half shaft sheared, otherwise I'm pretty sure he'd have a blown motor. Pushrod length measured exactly what it needed to be, not sure how all those rockers are going. Could have been a bad batch I guess. I don't think the accident caused it. I've seen motors pulled out of cars that were in much worse shape in the front, with nothing wrong.

High ratio rockers and supa stiff valve springs don't play nice together. Or they don't have the right valve springs for that amount of total lift and they are collapsing/binding.

obso fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 12, 2013

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

BoostCreep posted:

Didn't need those anyway.

That looks like someone's special effects project. Why do the front wheels re-materialize when he hits the wall?

edit: VV now I see it.

obso fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 27, 2013

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

jkr266s posted:

Is it really common on other lines for warranty work to be paid lower than the time it actually takes?

Yes extremely common. I can really only speak for powersports companies - Yamaha, Kawasaki, Polaris, BRP(Can-am) But flag hours on warranty work is almost always laughably low. It's not uncommon for the actual time to repair to be 2-3X more than what they list/pay. When I asked BRP why they only pay 45min to change both front ball joints on a can-am spyder they told me that is the time their mechanic can do one start to finish using only hand tools, I call bullshit. The job takes easily twice that, even after doing 6-8 of them to get warmed up.

Then occasionally you will find one that has a sane time allotted but they are few and far between. I don't know many dealership mechanics that won't go into a tirade as soon as warranty flag hours are brought up.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
This one will take a sharp eye. (4-wheeler trans for context)

There should be engagement dogs on the side of that gear. Don't neutral drop your 4-wheeler kids.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Used Sunlight sales posted:

I've blown up enough two strokes to know that I'm looking at a CR125.

Did the rod run out of hours or did you twist it to 14,000?

I don't see any heat discoloration on the crank so I'm guessing the latter. (And I think it's from a YZ125)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Powershift posted:

The 4 stroke BRP puts in their high end seadoos are 1.5 liter, supercharged, and still only 215hp.

215HP is NA, Supercharged is 265hp