Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
Was that pump feeding standpipes, sprinklers, or both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
So, not a horrible failure:

But that piston is seized hard. Even disconnected I can't move it more than 1mm by hand.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Bugdrvr posted:

The best way I've found to remove stuck pistons is to leave it hooked to the car, hang it as low as possible, put a catch pan under it and just pump the brakes until it falls into the pan.
If it's all frozen like that it's going to need to be cleaned and have new seals installed anyway (if it's not all corroded to hell) so there's really no point in trying to Rambo it back in.
Even easier, order a new one from Autozone if it's a common car.

It's off a 91 Civic RT4WD, and new ones are $50. I'd consider rebuilding it but I don't have the much in the way of tools at this point.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Joe Mama posted:

I can't find a picture but the Ford Aerostars were great for caved-in under bodies. They were kinda hard to get right on a lift and most mechanics would be like, "Oh, I'll just lift it up by the pinch weld." only to have them fold. I've seen a few with nice big crushed spots in front of the rear wheel openings.

Weren't Aerostars on the Ranger chassis anyway, meaning they should've had a really obvious frame to use for lifting?

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
Or one of those "$5 for 5 swings with a sledgehammer for charity" events?

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Carteret posted:

Isn't that the Cummins badge on the fender?

It also says diesel in the listing and the non-SRT V10 wasn't available in '05.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

I had to figure out why the passenger footwell in my Grand National kept flooding during rainy days. Pulled the whole loving front end off to do this job:

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Dr.Smasher posted:

Dear god I can only pray this never happens to mine. gently caress

Edit: I know this will happen now, after I replace the fuel pressure regulator and swap the Powermaster for a conventional hydroboost brake system.

Well...

1. This was longggg after I converted to vacuum boost brakes
2. Heater core wasn't the problem! Turns out the weatherseal that sealed the whole assembly to the firewall failed

:suicide:

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Dr.Smasher posted:

I may have asked this once already, but what kit did you get to convert to vacuum boost? Christmas is going to be better for my car than it is for me.

Some guy on the turbobuick.com forums was selling kits, but really they were just Monte Carlo vacuum MC/booster assemblies. They were a direct bolt in, only had to tweak the brake lines a bit to make them fit. I'm pretty sure the pedal assembly was the same as well.

Honestly if I were you I'd just try to find a good used vacuum setup from a same-year G-body and swap that in.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Root Bear posted:

"I bought this truck not long ago and I get a bad clunking noise when I put in 4-wheel drive. Think it might need a u-joint or two."

:cripes:

E: This was just the right side. The left side u-joint was a bit worn as well, but still all there.

Is that from a TTB setup?

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
Namechange to Slim Slippins.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

To begin with you can't just inject diesel and NOS into the intake as you would in a petrol engine. The injected fuel would ignite far too early in the compression stroke, way before it should.

How? I honestly don't understand how injecting something incredibly cold like N2O in a diesel would increase instead of decrease preignition.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

kastein posted:

^^ For once you can actually trust the customer's report of the vehicle "dying" in the parking lot. Seems pretty literal to me.

It's the extra diesel that is the problem not the N2O here. The N2O requires extra fuel to burn, though.

On a gas engine you can just shoot extra gas in along with the N2O and it only burns when the spark hits it unless boost goes too high for the octane rating and compression ratio of the engine. On a diesel, the whole point is that ignition happens due to compression, so if you inject diesel along with the N2O as you would on a gas engine... it preignites whenever the hell the compression sets it off, which could be well before TDC, which is BAD.

So a lower A/F ratio in a diesel can directly lead to preignition? Or does the N2O make that possible? Man I know so little about diesels.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

kastein posted:

You should probably re-read what I posted... that's not what I said at all.

So more air and fuel than designed in a diesel can cause preignition, because there's more volume being compressed and therefore it hits its ignition point earlier in the compression stroke?

Snowdens Secret posted:

N2O adds oxygen, raising the A/F mixture, not lowering it

I know this much. kastein said the extra fuel is the problem, I'm trying to understand why. N2O serves the same basic function as a turbo or supercharger but diesels love boost, so what makes N2O different is what I'm apparently failing to grasp.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
Edit:

kastein posted:

Stop thinking about the N2O at all, it's WHY you need to put more fuel into the engine as well, but it has no part in causing the preignition.

Preignition in this case is caused by putting diesel into the engine before the injectors fire (because you're trying to bring it in along with the charge air.) Diesels work by compressing the charge air to well above the point that will cause self ignition when the fuel is injected by the injector; then you just inject the fuel when you want it to ignite. If you put diesel into the charge air, it ignites at some uncertain point prior to then - depending entirely on when the fuel hits the flash point for the given cylinder pressure it's presently at. This could be significantly before TDC, which is going to try and turn the engine the wrong direction when it's already turning pretty quickly the right direction, which only ends in sadness, crushed bearings, lunched pistons, and "customized" cranks and connecting rods.

That's why they typically put propane in with the charge air on nitrous injected diesels, as mentioned - propane has a high enough octane rating that it won't preignite, so it just goes along for the ride with the nitrous and charge air, then burns along with the fuel when the fuel gets injected and instantly starts burning.

Is my post VVV (didn't see your post before I replied) more accurate, then?

CommieGIR posted:

No no no, you are missing entirely: Diesel fuel is not present in the air like gasoline is in the air of a petrol car.

Diesel Cycle:

Intake (Air Only)
Compression
Injection of Diesel Fuel and Ignition
Combustion
Exhaust.

The diesel fuel is injected AFTER the air is taken in and compressed. If the diesel fuel was added during intake, it would never reach TDC and detonate, once again reversing the engine direction catastrophically.

So the compression stroke superheats the air and at TDC the fuel is injected, which is ignited by the hot air. Do I have it now?

I'd always thought that the fuel was injected before TDC, so that the air and fuel were mixed pre-TDC.

SyHopeful fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 13, 2014

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Yup, thats how it works. Fuel is injected at roughly 0.1- before TDC, but VERY close to exact TDC to maximize the efficiency of work.

The fuel burns right when it enters the air, they are mixed by a 'burn bowl' on the piston that encourages the diesel fuel to mix more efficiently with the air.

Okay. I got it now, thanks fellas. :downs:

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

My brief (7ish month) stint in Portland and southern Washington convinced me that the Pac NW has the worst drivers I have ever encountered. Especially Portland. Rains every day, but gently caress if they can drive in it.

This is true. Drop of rain hits a windshield and OH poo poo PANIC BRAKE TO 15 BELOW THE SPEED LIMIT ALSO INEXPLICABLY MOVE TO THE LEFTMOST LANE

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

nm posted:

Yeah, we've only half filled portland.

also, Bend

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

nm posted:

Californians moved to Bend?

Oh yeah. Look at Bend's population growth over the last 20 years.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

What model Audi are you driving? I test drove an old 5000 and the turbo lag was quite noticeable to me. My understanding on turbo CIS applications is quite limited and I know there isn't any feedback from the turbo into the computer, but those air plates are really sensitive and finnicky... I imagine the computer helps smooth out the fuel delivery when boost sends the plate flying sky high

The B21FT in my old 242 Turbo had pretty bad turbo lag, but I always thought that had more to do with the ridiculously low compression ratio, something like 7.5:1

The cheese-soft aluminum Volvo used for the head is a horrible engineering failure :mad:

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Budget Monty posted:

This is the front left tire off my Six-Fo....

This belongs in the Awesome AI thread. Holy poo poo. Get some video of you hittin switches please.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
LC2 motherf*ckers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007

Anghammarad posted:

Hrm, something not quite right here, but i can't quite put my finger on it...

When did VAG move into commercial electrical supply?