Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm

Unfortunately the phone on which I had pictures of the cracked block in my 89 Civic is now dead, so instead here's a completely different sort of cracked block:

(Actually, I don't even know if that is a block.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm

insta posted:

Industrial shredder?

I get the feeling it was probably a hoist failure, or somebody tried to put it on a table that wasn't strong enough. I found it on a BMW engine-swapping page, but the only information I was able to find was that it was a dropped block, and the picture was "'stolen' from Rob Nicol".

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

tater_salad posted:

Looks like you need a new muffler bearing there.

See this wouldn't have happened if he'd been diligent in checking his muffler fluid every 3000 miles. Running it dry can throw out the bearing, and if that happens when you're at speed it might punch a hole in the tie-rod sump.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

Veeb0rg posted:

http://imgur.com/a/JSntv

Bunch more from this "incident"

Note: When connecting jumper cables to the dead battery, make sure you don't mistakenly attach the positive lead to a block of thermite.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

Jusupov posted:

I watched a doctor change a tire with the manufacturers own scissor jack. Luckily his hand wasn't broken when the jack slipped and he for some reason had his fingers under the tire.

I've got a nice gouge in the tarmac in front of my house from a slipped scissor jack. Or rather, the gouge is from the rear suspension as it dragged along the pavement for a foot. Between that jack and the wonderful orange wheel chocks that did absolutely nothing to stop my car, I'm lucky I managed to walk away without losing my arm, leg, or brake drum.

gently caress it, now everything I do is getting a full four-point jack stand treatment, even if I'm just loving around with a single tire or something.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

peepsalot posted:

I hope you guys use jackstands. I don't get under a car unless it's on stands. Don't rely on any jack to hold a lifted car stably.

The only reason I didn't have mine on them was because I figured I was only dealing with one wheel, so there'd be no need to use them. (FAT CHANCE DOUCHENOZZLE LOL.)

I'm just a bit reluctant to go all out because where I live now, if you have a car up for any reason the homeowners' association naturally considers it to be precisely the same as putting a rusted mid-1980s Chevette up on cinderblocks for an indefinite period of time, and they send people out to bug you until you stop beating your wife, listening to southern rock, and drinking wine coolers.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

Coasterphreak posted:

Please tell me you spend sunny Saturdays chilling in a lawn chair on your driveway wearing a Speedo and sipping Smirnoff Ice.

Nah dog, Hanes and Private Stock.

Jork Juggler posted:

This looks similar to the jack in my old 1970 Toronado, which was taller and lifted the car by its bumper. I had to use it once. Very scary, but it got the tire changed.

Automotive Insanity > Post Stories of Jacks and Jacking Points

If they included one with my parents' 1981 model, it was the best part of the car by a fairly wide margin. A few months before it died, the engine decided to have apocalyptic diarrhea all over the engine compartment, and coated every single square inch of the inside of the hood with tar that I assume used to be 10W40. We didn't even bother cleaning it up, because I'm pretty sure our drive would have become a Superfund site.

A few weeks later it dropped its entire store of gear oil on our driveway. After that the muffler fell off. Then my father had to do something that involved flames coming out of what was probably the carburetor. Finally, in a fitting end to the piece of poo poo, it seized up as we drove it into the junkyard. It ended up rolling into a sinkhole, which is honestly a better grave than it deserved.

The only good part (aside from the bizarre amount of rear legroom considering it was a 2-door) was that we got $100 for it, which we used to help pay for a new Camry.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

If we can add in retarded design and previous owner failures to the thread, this is what greeted me when I pulled my CD player out to try to fix some grounding issues.

Bad design: The cup holder on the 2nd-gen Legacy is a pop-out design sitting right between the climate controls and radio, so if anything spills ever, it will fill the whole goddamn thing with a sticky residue that is about as tenacious as genital warts.

Previous owner: Yeah man, gently caress wiring harnesses and adaptors! Oh, and all those electrical tape-covered connections were lightly twisted together, and several of them had completely detached. I'd seriously consider a loving stereo delete, just to be rid of it, but my engine doesn't sound good enough for that yet.

As for the "grounding issue," the same jackass that did those poor-rear end connections and clipped all the harness wires simply took the radio ground wire, stripped off about two inches, then wrapped it around a bit of metal. Did it work? Yes, theoretically.

Revolvyerom posted:

And you kept driving it with an engine coated in oil? How was that not a fire haz-
Oh.

Well he did dab some of it off with paper towels, but yeah, several of our cars had problems with "mysterious" smoke. My dad's the kind of guy who makes a plumbing repair which requires two plumbing repairs to fix.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

There's something elegantly sublime about a connecting-rod-through-oil-pan picture. It's horrific failure in its purest form. None of this "what the gently caress is that and is that a crank that is now in seven parts and why is there mayonnaise?" It's just rod, pan, boom.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

MrChips posted:

There's always flywheel explosions, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYIdJCvK4uQ (embedding disabled, sorry)
I was watching that without sound and the moment the hood popped up I said, "Wheeee!"

Wheeeeee!

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

dor1 posted:

I suppose its lucky this happened where he had a runoff area.

The really freaky part was how the center part of the rotor was completely detached from the braking surface. I suppose that failure mode would be far superior than shearing the bolts off or something though.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

So last night I was reading about WRX turbo engines, and discovered a site devoted to Vanagon owners who use them in their old VWs. Pretty interesting stuff, but you really have to be careful about what you click on over there because holy poo poo.

Here's the picture, try to guess what it is:

Here's a hint: The title of the thread is "The Mouse that killed my engine..."

quote:

When I took the pan off there was thick stringy stuff clogged in the oil pick up that obviously starved my engine of oil. I always had good oil pressure even with the clog in the pick up, but there was enough debris to clog critical oil passages to the crank and rods causing this failure.

The mouse obviously crawled down the crank breather hole. There was a short period of maybe a day or two that I did not have this breather hole covered. Despite all of my meticulous efforts in keeping the engine clean and free of foreign objects, the worst case scenario occurred.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

Shampoo posted:

Boston also has everyone in the fill part of the city sitting on piles. I believe that the Trinity church has something like 4500 piles that it sits on.

Well, they built my high school on a fault line, and it's doing pretty well. I mean, just look at...

Oh.

But in the school system's defense, the roof must have caved in because of snow, and not because the building was in any way flawed or...

quote:

For more than 10 years leading up to Blacksburg High School's gym roof collapse, school administrators knew of significant structural problems inside the school and, particularly, the gym.

Three separate engineers hired by the school district warned director of facilities Dan Berenato that cracks and settling in the building's foundation must be evaluated more closely or permanently fixed, according to engineering reports from 1999 to 2004.

One engineer noted the possibility of structural failure in the southwest corner of the gym, the same area where the gym roof first started to fall in February this year.

(From The Roanoke Times)

Well how about that. Well at least that old building is gone for good and our 20th reunion will be in a nice new...

quote:

Blacksburg will not get a new high school, the Montgomery County Board of Supervisors decided late Monday night when it rejected its school board's request to replace the damaged building.

(From those commies at the Roanoke Times again)

Jesus Christ.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

flacoman954 posted:

Could be fuel... injector leaking? Smell the fouled plug ..

As I once told a coworker after I removed an ice cream machine backsplash, "be careful before you sniff this." Then again, if your spark plug smells like buttermilk-flavored vinegar, you've got bigger problems to worry about.

One of mine looked like that when I replaced them, but I think it was because the last person to do so about 10 years and 100,000 miles ago (!?) failed to tighten it. I actually removed it with my fingers, unlike the other three that needed a healthy dose of elbow grease to begin to move. (At least I'm hoping that was what caused the blackening.)

As I do more and more work on my car, I lose more and more respect for the previous owner. Speakers not even attached to the door? Check. Wires spliced three times in one four-foot run, then attached to the speaker with one or two bent strands? Check. Screws that were too big for the hole being overtorqued until the plastic cracks? Huge loving check. It's like I've rescued a pitbull from a dogfighting club, only without that nice "just saved another living being" feeling. Oh, and I discovered what the owner's mother meant when she said he had an iPod adapter if I wanted it: The little box below the CD unit had a hole drilled in it, and the front two speaker wires and their grounds had some insulation removed for a 1/8" plug to tap into.

I need a fuckologist, because I don't know what.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

And this.

"Okay, gotta keep control, can't let it flip...."
*BOOM*
"poo poo, where am I? Who am I? I'm in a car.... that means I've won the Daytona 500! Woohoo!"

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

On the subject of tires:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no5VqlgsAI0
Sebastian Vettel talks about how he got to see Lewis Hamilton win the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix on TV.

But it's okay, Uncle Bernie's there to console him.

Ridge_Runner_5 posted:

More sister stuff

I guess I'm my own sister, because my first car died because I uh... um... never changed the oil. And I almost killed this one by driving on a bad rear wheel bearing (on an AWD car no less) for the past 5 years, and... errr... also never changing the oil.

Thank God I got interested in cars again, because otherwise I'd have ended up on a third car, which would have... never gotten the oil changed either.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I mean only when it's below 35F outside. I'm sure it's an electrical issue.

This post . How's that hellaflush working out for you?

I'm not sure what would have caused the front tire to fail, but based on the rear one I'd imagine the underlying cause had something to do with being stretched over a rim that was two inches too large. That's some Spanish Inquisition-style torture right there.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

The website for the Get Nitrogen Institute mentions all sorts of reasons for pumping your tire up with N2 but the main one they're on about is leakage, though they also bring up oxidation and rust.

They have a calculator on the front page that's supposed to tell you how much you'd save per year on gas and tires by using nitrogen, but I don't think they include the actual cost of tire filling itself in that, which at $6.00 a wheel isn't exactly negligible.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

some texas redneck posted:

A broken CV joint would just result in the car coasting to the side of the road, possibly with chunks of the joint or bearings hitting the road.

That would be either a tie rod failure or ball joint failure.

When the front right CV went out on my Subaru, that's pretty much exactly what happened. That was the day I found out that the vehicle speed sensor is attached to the drivetrain before it connects to the wheel, so my speedo said I was going 85mph when I was pretty clearly running about 85mph less than that. But yeah, no smoke or wheels exploding or anything like that, just a nice leisurely slowdown accompanied by horrific grinding noises from the right side of the car and horrific swearing from my mouth.

Ballcock posted:

In Formula 1, Ferrari actually used HFCs (R404a) and CO2 in their tyres for a while for improved heat transfer from the tyre to the wheel. I think it might actually be a form of phase change cooling, with the freon evaporating from the inside surface of the tyre and condensing on the rim.

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/arti...ts_of_the_f2007

I give it 5 more years until it catches on as an optional extra.

Street racers will call cars with it "Hella Iced" and there'll be all sorts of web forums devoted to how many BHP you get for every degree the temperature in your tire drops.

Then Weapon R will start selling blue billet aluminum valve caps that say "ICE" on them, "for an aggressive performance look sure to impress and intimidate."

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

Sockington posted:

edit: drat, wrong thread was open

EDIT2:

I bet his metal shavings pan has been slightly contaminated with oil.

For content, here's a Fiat Punto engine literally making GBS threads itself.

(From youtube.)

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I know it didn't.
My friend is the guy who made that thread.
The STI owner is an engineering student at VA Tech.

Wait... That STi? I'm pretty sure I saw that thing putting town a while back. I'm going to have to start taking my camera with me around town, just so when the dude fires a rusty connecting rod through his block I'll be ready to capture the moment.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

peepsalot posted:

and hes replies to a post on the first page of a 143 page thread.. amazing

To be fair, the same incident appeared in completely different video on the most recent page of the "Things You Find On Youtube" thread.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

Over on the Subaru Legacy International forum, there's a thread where a guy talks about his new breaker bar, and how he was using it a bit too literally.

The best part is this response:

Garrison posted:

Gotta lay of the 'roids duder.

Does your hulking mass make it difficult to work inside the engine bay?

I've had a couple of regular 1/2" to 3/8" adapters go before, but those were cheap-rear end ones made in China. I can't imagine getting enough force to break an impact socket.

Sponge! posted:

I loving HATE road salt. Rusted straight off... Just the bumper beam itself though, thankfully the mounting points are rock solid.

Road salt sucks biblical amounts of rear end. My current car is missing a couple of bumper braces because they rusted and broke off, and the bottom part of my driver's side fender rusted through so badly that the force of me removing my headlight assembly caused it to snap.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

Petekill posted:

I don't know what year Commodore that is, but they don't appear to be the most hardy cars in existence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJl2aZMN4MU

Man, gently caress Holden, go Ford!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgOxWPGsJNY

Whee!

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

Bondematt posted:

But you're missing the point that it would be UHMURRRICAN made and therefor superior even without the ability to stop properly.

You terrorist you.

I'm pretty sure studies have shown that when combined with heavy braking, the impact of an airbag on the head damages between a 100 and 300 brain cells. And if you bought a Sonic you don't have much more than that to begin with, so the missing brake pads were obviously a safety feature rather than a mistake.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

some texas redneck posted:

I didn't let mine get quite that bad, but when I had a friend press the old bearing out of the steering knuckle, it just... exploded. Like, the entire bearing and races just shattered and went everywhere, a few of the ball bearings even shattered when they hit the floor. And the hub was a lovely blue color. Good thing I ordered a new hub.

It had gone from "oh an annoying humming noise indicative of a bad wheel bearing" to people turning their heads as I drove by to figure out what the hell was making that horrible horrible "what the gently caress is making that horrible metal on metal wail IS THAT A CAR IS IT ABOUT TO EXPLODE?" as I drove by. I don't get how it got that bad in only 6 months either.

That's why I always recommend replacing the bearing itself rather than pulling an entire used hub/bearing assembly from a used car and swapping it in. That extra bit of work at the press, as annoying as it is, at least means that the bearing is shiny and new, rather than one that may already be very close to becoming a delicious steel and grease chutney while you're going down the road.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

Mahnarch posted:

He left the tires/drum in the customer's parking lot until tomorrow. [I think he was just cold.]

It's not lazy, it's installation art. Tell the customer he can sell tickets, because it'll be there until March 5th when it goes back to the MoMA.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Here is the rotor off of the 3500 Chevy my brother is working on.

E: I made a hub insert for our SAE Baja car with IIRC a 2 thou tolerance using a terrible belt driven lathe with a completely worn out belt

Okay I might be showing my ignorance here, but how the hell does that happen? I know it's not unique since we had a couple of pages that were nothing but worn-to-hell rotors, but it seems like there would have to be no pad at all, and the driver would have to be holding both the gas and brake pedals to the floorboard for an entire trip for that much metal to be taken off.

dissss posted:

That's a whole duffel bag of gently caress right there. But I'm sure that in about 40 years it'll be one hell of a wreck dive.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

gently caress. Looks like I better get a bike up and running so I can avoid the metro.

That explains the "gently caress this loving city" Facebook status from one of my DC-area friends then. I thought it was just another case of some more ceiling tiles falling on people since that's not too unusual.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

Godholio posted:

Who cares!? What was the monthly payment?

I'm predicting that the answer will be "Yes."

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

Aurune posted:

Not a car, but a failure.
Cheap Target lamp with a screw on plastic top. I unscrewed the retaining nut and bang. The plastic top shattered. I didn't know plastic could do that.

I've owned two lamps like that and they both failed in exactly the same way. One of them had a goose-neck lamp on the side with a shade from the same material, and when I went to turn the thing off after the main shade exploded, the other one went too.

I didn't even bother with taking it apart when I threw it into the dumpster, I just heaved it like a javelin with a farewell "gently caress ya!"

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

Itzena posted:

What did he flush it with - custard?

Dude I'm pretty sure that's a sauce you get with Thai food. It's piquant, with just a slight hint of ethylene glycol for sweetness.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

Those flasks are absolutely insanely well-engineered. You could stand alongside a truck loaded up with one chock full of transuranic waste and you'd pick up less radioactivity than if you stood on a hilltop for an hour and begged cosmic rays to hit you. IIRC the American one was also designed to last 10,000 years buried about 600 meters beneath a desert, deep within a layer of salt that would eventually grow back around it and seal it in permanently.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Sadly I don't have a picture (couldn't get my cellphone out of my pocket while driving and it's illegal anyway) but there was a CR-V on my commute with both the upper and lower control arms torn free of the chassis with the wheel hanging loose inside the inner fender and jutting out at a severe angle. Looked like there was a strut on the hub as well but I couldn't tell for sure.

From what I could tell the CV shaft was still attached to the front diff, but it was at a pretty extreme angle and dripping grease onto the ground.

I'm guessing that one of the balljoints let loose, and then they kept driving on it until the other balljoint let loose, ripping the entire upright out of the car.

Good thing that costs less than a tow, right?

I'm imagining it looked a bit like this:

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

Some unfortunate Elise owner who took his car to Forged for a full engine build posted:

They failed to put fluid back in my transmission and ran the car on their dyno unitl they broke the gear selector. Gave the car back to me, would not stay in 3rd gear. I contacted them and they would not do anything about it. Claimed they didn't touch the transmission, however my particular car (Lotus Elise) is impossible to remove the motor without pulling drive shafts from the transmission (wihich drains the fluid).

That's comically terrible. Oh, and the kicker?

quote:

They also blew the new motor rebuild on their dyno and I had to pay to rebuild it twice in their shop.

kastein posted:

That holds nearly as much water as "these aren't my pants, officer."

It's more a case of "Oh, these aren't pants, it's a kilt and it's not mine because I'm male and men don't wear kilts and by the way that's not a crack pipe it's a sandwich."

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

xsf421 posted:

Not going to lie, I saw the thumbnail and assumed it was a Dale Earnhhardt themed bottle jack. This is what living in the south does to me.

The other side has a sticker of Calvin peeing on the Harbor Freight logo.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

Colonel Sanders posted:

I am an rear end in a top hat and I would much rather give you an award for not helping and criticize the guy who volunteered the forklift.

I'd have volunteered the forklift in an instant, just so I'd get to see the glorious destruction up-close while laughing and saying "you stupid, stupid motherfucker."

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

The front gear shake at 1:09 is loving mental. I bet it would have been deafening in the cockpit, assuming you could hear it over the flight crew making GBS threads their rectums convex.

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

Fucknag posted:

Hot drat, if I'm counting right it's even got 24 big and 24 small spokes! So you could have a 24-hr clock with 1/2 gradations, or 12-hour with 15-minute ticks.

Now I wanna do it.

It doesn't matter what time the thing says though: Every time is "Just Get a drat Bus Pass" Time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I imagine you have a friend who rides with you wherever you go wearing a black suit and leather gloves who carries a Bren gun, just in case you encounter any protagonists.