Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Dave Inc. posted:

If you've never been to an industrial factory you should give it a shot. It's like they're made for killing careless people.

Like a janitor at one of our plants who was cleaning around a machine mid-production without securing her hair or wearing the protective headgear (as required) and was scalped. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The Scientist posted:

Asian Driving [fail] Compilation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E4LDUe5K_4

I see this same kind of driving in Memphis on a regular basis.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Valt posted:

This whole page is a mechanical failure.

:words: :words: :words:

Guy's Trailblazer grenaded its transmission

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=22724

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

For the love of God, can we please shut up about Dodge Neons and post pictures?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

More, you say?

From a last Gen Landcruiser, I believe. Don't remember where I found these...they've been hanging out in a picture folder.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

MrLonghair posted:

Ever wonder how much of a beating a shipping container can take?

This recent mechanical failure from Poland was brought on by a large ship that suffered a mechanical failure and ended up poking the crane at the wrong place at the wrong time.

But this is nothing compared to the mega-crane that fell in Russia.

I bet that was one hell of a ride down from inside the crane's bridge!

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Sockington posted:

Move it to the Jetski thread. I want to hear more of this.

Are socks allowed on Jet skis?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

kastein posted:

Saw this this morning on the way to CT...

Well. That explains how bad it smelled, I guess.

Several years ago on our street, a garbage truck ran its compacting cycle and ended up depositing its contents in the street. The bottom of the truck had reached its corrosion threshold and the compact cycle pushed the contents out the bottom.

The smell was foul, and it was fun watching the city workers shovel the garbage into another truck.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I could go for airbags that shoot confetti and glitter. Fireworks, not so much.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Bovril Delight posted:

Not a mechanical failure but I saw the price for a replacement front bumper on an 06 Elise today. Over 6k. :staredog:

Ha! You think that's bad, check out the replacement cost for the rear bumper.

:staredog:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

A buddy of mine got tapped by a grandma in a parking lot in his 05. 12k for a new rear clamshell, including labor.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

leica posted:

Jesus, I'll stick with Miatas. I always thought I'd be able to afford to buy an Elise one day, but I sure as hell won't be able to afford to own one :(

Excerpts on Elise ownership from Grassroots' forum:

"There just seem to be too many drawbacks to daily driving one. Bumped in parking lot? Car is totaled. Run over a speed bump too fast? Car is totaled. Scrape too hard on driveway? Car is totaled. Run over a board? Car is totaled. Hit a possum or roadkill? Car is totaled.

It's awesome in theory, but the reality is that you have to have the right kind of driveway, the right kind of neighborhood, you have to scope out parking lots and make sure you can enter and exit without messing up your car, and you HAVE to use heart healthy parking. God help you if it's a small parking lot."

"Very good points, rotard. I'm not sure people realize how easy it is to damage a clamshell beyond (reasonable) repair, and how breathtakingly expensive they are to replace. For that reason alone, I would never daily drive one... and it is a big factor in why I don't own one right now.

FYI folks, rotard is almost not exaggerating. While a busted clamshell on its own won't total the car, you're looking at $5k+ just in paint and parts, never mind the labor, for something as simple as a parking lot bump. If anything underneath it gets damaged... look out.

EDIT: Yes, full coverage is a must. However, I can't imagine your insurance company hanging onto you after more than one pricey repair."

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/quickly-school-me-in-lotus-elises-2005/42507/page1/

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Doesn't the Honda Fit have its tank under the floor beneath the front seats?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

"Looks like we got ourselves a sinker..."

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Lord Gaga posted:

Horrible engineering failure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3QD59QfMdQ

The casting of the cylinder head is the bearing surface on Lamborghini Miura engines...and there isnt an oil passageway :psyduck:

'Modofocation'

:bang:

(I bet it's hooked to a manuel transmission) :ese:

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 9, 2013

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

You'd feel that one pop on the Richter scale.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

zundfolge posted:

P0171, you say?

:stonk:

It looks like a Volvo brownie :stonk:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Astroman posted:

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/ or google "gm oem parts" and a bunch of others come up. Click "browse catalog" at the bottom, put in make, model, and year and a list comes up of various systems (engine, brakes, body, etc). Then click on "available parts diagrams."

They are a bit pricey, but I usually can find the parts elsewhere once I've gotten the real name and part number from them.

A little late, but jumping on the 'don't buy from these guys' bandwagon. It took 10 business days for them to give me a tracking number on a part that was "in stock" that they "shipped" the day after I placed the order.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 15, 2013

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

BraveUlysses posted:

Weld in a new floorpan.

Or hire Fred and Wilma

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I like how they called it the Toyota MasterAce in Japan, but presumably someone in marketing noticed that it's uncomfortably close to "master race" and so rechristened it to "Van" when it came to North America.

Actually, it was "Van Wagon" when first released in '84, then they decided that was too close to "Vanagon" then called it "Van". Our family bought one when the first came out in '84, and I drove it after selling my '76 Continental. Beige with Wine interior. 5-speed, Dual HVAC, and our first car with a cassette player. Many, many, many hours spent in the back of it on family vacations throughout the 80s. It was a nightmare to work on, and ate batteries and alternators on an annual basis from new.

It had almost 400000 miles on it when I sold it and bought my grandma's '89 SHO.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

SuperDucky posted:

Your grandma seems like a cool bro.

She was -- her last car was a del Sol Si :science:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

CornHolio posted:

My sister-in-law saw this driving down the road over the weekend.

World's largest wiper blade :laffo:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Slavvy posted:

Wait, what?? Really? Which parts of an e55 amg are shared with a Ford? I've never heard of this.

"Half the parts" = one specific part - the intercooler pump made by Bosch.

http://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-sl63-amg-sl65-amg-r230/211741-intercooler-pump-replacement.html

Throatwarbler posts :rolleyes:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

One more derail on mid 80s - mid 90s Ford. The polycarbonate plastic they used for their bumpers didn't age well.

New, they were pretty strong. They integrated the facia and reinforcements into one molded unit and mounted them to struts.

They became brittle after about 10 years and any sort of impact made them crack and shatter.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The two pictures on this page were getting lonely. I hope this helps.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Rimshot

:rimshot:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Saga posted:

Isn't it the 75 where you drive with your arms straight out and feet strangely offset to one side? Now we know why; it's to avoid shrapnel.

Yes - the 75 is an ergonomic disaster. The steering wheel is always too far and the pedals too close. The steering wheel always blocks a portion of the speedo and tach. The rear compartment power window switches are right behind where the front passengers elbows land on the center console. The front compartment rear window switches are on the overhead console. The front window switches are directly below them on the lower console. The u-shaped parking brake looks cool, bites fingers and knuckles.

Etc.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I have an issue with the spare being under the load floor. Murphy's law says I'll have a ton of bricks in the bed when I get a flat.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

wolrah posted:

vs.

The new one looks better from the back, but the old front end looked like a truck where the new one is clearly a minivan with a bed.

Of course minivan with a bed is exactly what most suburban pickup truck buyers actually need, but image is 90% of the reason that crowd buys a truck anyways so making it look like a minivan is the worst thing they could do.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Iirc they were designed from the ground up as fleet wheelchair/medical transport vehicles?

Yes, and it manages to contain the same awkward styling elements of the Ridgeline. Or vice versa.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Whether he is or isn't, he certainly feels skeezy. I subscribed anticipating further skoodyfrood

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

That explains his curmudgeoness

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Hmm.. how does the stop/start work on the newest GMs when the ac is on? I heard the latest Malibus doing the auto start bit in the middle of summer with the windows up. I'm guessing they just cycle the engine back on when the evap temp gets too high? I have no idea if they had auto climate control or not, but I know it gets muggy as gently caress in a hurry in every car I've had with ac if the fan keeps running after the compressor cuts out/engine stalls/etc.

I was impressed how quick they fire up though - it sounds like 1 or 2 rotations. I know GM moved to a 58 tooth CPS trigger across the board around 2007-2008, I assume that helps.

On my Lacrosse, there are 3 A/C modes - off, Eco, Max

If set to off, autostop will keep the engine off until the battery reserve drops to 12v, then the engine kicks on.
If set to Eco, autostop will keep the engine off until above, or the measured in-cabin temperature or humidity delta hits a certain threshold
If set to Max, above except the delta threshold is significantly less

Max defrost will override autostop, but you have to manually select it (system reverts back to previous climate control setting after you stop the car and exit)

In any mode if you change the gear shift selection or any climate control setting (temperature, fan speed, mode) the engine kicks back on.

I keep mine on Eco, and only on the hottest/most humid days do I even notice. About that time the engine kicks on. It's a pretty slick setup.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I'll stick to my owner's manual recommendation of 5 years/100000 miles, if that is ok.

edit: It's DexCool :laffo:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'll give you that, but excluding the unmitigated garbage that is Dexcool, are there any documented cases of vehicles following the factory intervals for antifreeze changes and still running into problems? My WJ only has a 30k interval (and rarely goes that long without having some other reason to dump the radiator anyway), but the CR-V just called for its first change just shy of 5 years and the antifreeze that came out is visibly indistinguishable from what went in. No sediment or anything, even after letting it settle for a week. I realize antifreeze can cause problems without looking lovely, but I'd expect some sort of particulate evidence of those problems.

The other pain in the dick is that used antifreeze is not as easy to dispose of as used oil. None of the shops here want to take it and the city only accepts it four times a year.

Just because we like to dog on Dexcool - I'd like to offer the below article as a counterpoint. Author does a nice job of concisely laying out the issues, and aligns with just about every Google on DexCool.

http://ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com/is-dexcool-bad/

The only thing he misses on: He calls out the 3.1/3.4 engines correctly, but misses the 3.8.

It's a good read and should stir interesting conversation.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

You haven't lived until you've had to piss in a radiator while on the side of a deserted road.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

It escaped alright

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Didn't the Chevy Spark have a CVT final drive?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

Not really fair to fault GM for having belt-driven A/C on a non-hybrid, especially when Toyota's straight gassers are the same way. Electric automotive A/C compressors are expensive yo.

You forget the irrational hatred of GM in the AI part of somethingawful.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

InitialDave posted:

So much for Toyota reliability...

I love what you do for me...Toyota!