Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

Boat posted:

Yeah on the long drive home from PA to FL last week, we pulled up on a semi whose rearmost passenger side trailer wheel was glowing orange and throwing sparks.

I'm assuming you're stupid like I am and drive on I-95 and I-10 whenever given the opportunity, but aren't the amazing gouges down the right third of the freeway lanes through Virginia all the way to the Alabama border awesome? I'm guessing some of these truckers must pop their wheels during the night and drive all night long without needing to look at the right mirror and seeing the shower of flaming asphalt trailing out from behind them.

I've actually had to avoid trailers that reek of flaming rubber because there's a blister that's about to pop as they fly past me through the urban areas. I guess they don't notice because the trailers are loaded?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

Nerobro posted:

How about O2 poisioning.

http://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/sep2/lawrence/lawrence.html

I don't think this is the same incident (the diagnosis is from NSW, not anywhere near the North Sea, and it doesn't say anything about "unknown to medicine") but hey, it covers a bad gas mix at 47m deep.

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

I helped a friend replace his clutch a few weeks ago (and whined about it somewhere else on here). One of the things that stood out to me was what was left of his old clutch fluid after god knows how many years...

This stuff was green in color and basically gelatinous. It didn't run under the force of gravity. As we both said - no goddamn wonder pushing on the pedal wasn't doing anything anymore.

I don't know if that's so much a mechanical failure, but this seems like the best place for it.

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

Quasi-crosspost from the stupid questions thread (friendgoon Susan Calvin is the owner of the car, I just took the picture)

:woop: - The tire keeps going flat, I guess I'll take it to a shop and have something looked at.

:haw: - We replaced your TMPS sensor with a plain valve since we don't have the replacement part. Here's the old one. Stop using metal valve caps.

The body of the sensor is fine, but that's a pretty sweet valve stem failure, especially when you consider the cost of the unit is (she's told) $140+ from Ford/Mazda. Thanks, technology! Too bad there isn't a mandatory 8yr/80k warranty for the stupid safety poo poo the feds mandate like with emissions equipment.

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

That's what the guys at pep boys claimed. I don't know if it's corrosion or weird forces from being heavier than the plastic caps that they would blame, though - as far as I know, they only said it was the metal cap to blame, no speculation shared.

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

Many years ago, I was driving my (old) Beetle on a mountain road frequented by open-trailer log and nickel smelting-related trucks. I suppose it happens more frequently than I might have imagined, but as I rounded a bend, an oncoming truck threw a rock at the ground, which then bounced up and hit my windshield (and I am not exaggerating) directly in front of my face.

As was said before, the noise that this makes is astounding, and expect it to take about 15 minutes to get back to reality. I had to pull over and just stare at my steering wheel for a while.

Anyway, I don't think the glass in that car was modern safety glass. I don't even know if it was classic safety glass or, if it was, what revision of the technology it possessed. It shattered and threw glass shards and dust onto my face and torso; I am extremely lucky I have such stupidly light-sensitive eyes because, but for wearing sunglasses, that dust would have gone into my eyes and I would have been in for an extremely unpleasant afternoon after I either wrapped the car around a tree or hit an oncoming vehicle.

Blinky Blinkerson posted:

Did you have to "Ace Ventura" that poo poo home ? Never seen anything like that before.

I certainly did. The shatter pattern made by my rock was about the size of a basketball, so I had two choices - look out the left (out the window) or look out the right (in da hood). Thank god I could turn around and go home in less than half an hour.

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

I had to check my PO box today and there was a sick castered-out HHR parked out front

(clickable for bigger, in case the oopsies isn't clear enough)

Not that I care, but hopefully that's just some slipped lugnuts and not something that'll ruin the drop boxes for a day or two till someone gets it towed. Especially towed, since the parking lights were on with no sign of a driver nearby.

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

This is more a horrible failure of some sort than a terrible car thing, but it's definitely :ughh:worthy either way.

Guy's reverse lights were on while in D; we were all trundling along at about 60mph, hence the lovely quality (steering wheel tripod and shutter without looking).

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

:stare:

Someone in my neighborhood drives this; it was parked next to me when I left home this morning. I'm amazed it still holds air.

e: I guess this is more of a horrible mechanical success, then.
double e: Yeah so today I learned there are five spoke steel wheels now. Leaving this here for posterity, thanks for making me feel dumb, GM.

nurrwick fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 22, 2013

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

It's a five-spoke alloy of some sort, unless hubcaps and steelies are getting way more advanced these days. Unfortunately, I wasn't paying close attention to what kind of car it was, but I'll look for it when I get home.

e: I believe it to be a Saturn Aura XE, based on some mild internet detectivry.

nurrwick fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 22, 2013

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

Wait then, did they put a wheel cover on top of something that's not a standard steel wheel? Why?

^^^ beaten i guess. Well, you learn something new every day...

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

lazer_chicken posted:

Saw this on the side of the highway this morning. It didn't appear as though there was an impact of any kind.

It was still there this morning; it's amazing how long Maryland State Police will allow things to sit by that weigh station sometimes.

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

stump posted:

drat, I was convinced they were alloys but you may be right. Some wheel trims are pretty convincing now.

Edit: Yup, those style wheels are trims on steels, I'm I'm an idiot!

Don't feel too bad, I did the exact same thing in this very thread sometime last fall.

That said, if that car is just a year old, it'll probably end up in here before too long being driven into curbs like that. They did it hard enough to take two bites out of the tire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

ACVW and the 36mm nut is a castle nut with a cotter pin

On my first, those parts were fine. Twas the splines inside the brake drum that continually failed. drat thing ate three drums from the inside out. With a stock 60-horse mill minus years of PO abuse.

He also swapped it over to some kind of five-lug pattern with adapter rings and therefore required idiot 16-year-old me to continue feeding it crappy five lug drums instead of regular crappy four lug drums. Dunno if that had much to do with it or not. Tire diameter was more or less stock... Anyway, "ask me how I know what drum splines smell like" I guess