Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?
My work truck just decided it didn't need all those fiddly gears in the diff anymore...

thumb is for scale

it left behind a pretty good bit of metal
We'll have it apart soon, I imagine the pinion should be in interesting condition too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

^x2^ I see your busted head gasket and raise you:

close up of cyl 3 and 5's valves

The other side wasn't bad, but we're looking at a rebore and rebuild anyways...

Can anyone think what the crap in cyl 5 would be? We took the piston out, and the ring is still intact. The cylinder wall isn't damaged nearly enough to create that much material. The headgasket didn't seem busted enough for the material to make it through that way.

As a note, anyone pulling an engine from a junkyard, just because you can turn it some of the way without it seizing, that doesn't mean it will turn 360 degrees...

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

'95 z28 Camaro. The car had only been in the yard for about 3 days before we got it, but I'm guessing it sat in the owners driveway for a while. We got it in January though, and yes, before you ask, this is for Lemons. Part of the reason we're still going to fix it rather than junk it is it'll be a learning experience for everyone on the team. None of us have done bottom end engine work before :).

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Kinda tame compared to some of the stuff in here, but my brother in law was complaining that his clutch wasn't quite working right:

And he says he doesn't shift hard...

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

At that point, does it really even count as compression?

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Is something trying to escape?:

First you always pull the plugs:

Uh oh, looks like something happened in this cylinder:

Hey, where's the piston?:

That piston really is completely gone:

Oh, there's the piston:

All pictures from a Ford Futura who's last race at LeMons didn't go so well.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

I assume he's talking about the fact that it's a visually different plug, with bronze/gold colored stuff on it. I think they just are cheap and mixed brands of plugs.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

So I went to a Stomach Cancer fundraiser/track walk at Sonoma/Infineon Raceway/Sears point this morning and our pace car was Kyle Busch's Nascar truck. We try and keep an eye on him as he goes around the track, and heading into turn 10 there's a big cloud of white smoke, which follows him all the way into the pits. When we walk around to that area there's a huge spill trail for about 200 feet. Obviously we check it out once we get back, and immediately something was amiss, as the hood was drooling:

There was no opening the hood, but on the dash was a hand-written piece of paper that said "DO NOT START, LEAKS OIL"

"Leak" might be a bit of an understatement. For his sake I hope it just blew an oil cooler line, but nobody was able to give us a definitive answer.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Oh man, we just put a Wilwood setup on our LeMons Camaro, because one of our guys insisted the stock hubs would fail...

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Engine off a thunderbird pitted in the garage next to us at LeMons. The ring laced around the crank is a nice touch.

Minor one of ours that shows the promise of worse things once we open the diff cover.

Something blew out the abs sensor, and we raced on it for a while before discovering just *why* there was diff fluid everywhere....

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

So at my work we use one of these little guys to haul smaller-than-forklift loads

They can handle up to 1000lbs according to the info plate, pretty awesome little things. That being said, ours started handling funny, and well, I'm glad we checked out why:

That's cracked all the way through on both sides. It could have ended really badly. We've had three carts like this before (one still is running) that are much older and have seen more abuse and none have failed this way. It's pretty horrifying.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Wasn't that Horrible as it happened as I pulled into my friend's place, but I'd been on the freeway 5 minutes earlier, so I'm glad it waited. As it was going, the truck was definitely pulling to the right, and it felt like the toe had gotten way off! Now I know why. On the plus side, those may be the 47 year old original tie rods with newer boots, so I guess that's a good lifespan for them.

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

I'd just toss that in an electrolytic rust removal bath and then wipe it down with something lanolin-based

if you mean Electrolysis, I'm pretty sure this is a huge no-no on anything chrome-plated. Electrolysis will create Hexavalent Chromium and turn your bucket into a super-fund site. Apparently bad idea for stainless parts too. Acid-based rust removers are fine though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

Guys I think something isn't right with this motor:

There's a few more extra oil breathers than originally came from the factory:

Oh, maybe this was the problem:

Yeah that is definitely sub-optimal:

Now to turn it into a coffee table!

It's a M62TU out of a 540i, so the same as my car, but my car didn't have to die for it! My buddy's shop took it out and obviously didn't have a need for the lower end.