Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jacteh
Jul 10, 2007
Here's some pictures of a pretty catastrophic failure of a poorly designed rocker in a 3 shock suspension setup on an FSAE car.

partially assembled "before" shot

the keying rounded out and one of the plates snapped

again, with the broken section

resulting chassis damage

resulting sump damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jacteh
Jul 10, 2007

Amykinz posted:

My husband sent this to me saying, "new guy had a bad day"

https://youtu.be/haSs4YdspTM

Reminds me of watching the new race engineer trying to clean shock oil off the ceiling after cracking open a damper without dumping the air first.

jacteh
Jul 10, 2007
From my time spent looking after electrical systems on racecars, I had a horrible mechanic failure. Electrical looms were all white tefzel. Old supplier of semi complete looms laser marked each wire every 150mm or so, new supplier didn't have any markings at all. Mechanic proceeds to drill through one of the thickest sections of the new style main cabin loom that wasn't laser marked, then couldn't understand why I was so pissed.

Laser marked wire is extremely common in my experience in aerospace. I don't think I've touched an aircraft that didn't have it.

jacteh
Jul 10, 2007
I had a Braille B128L burst into flames in a v8 supercar while on charge (Braille charger). Filled the car with thick foul smelling smoke. Managed to snip the cables and whip it out, but not without probably doing horrible things to my lungs. Minimal damage to the car thankfully. They're the control battery for the category (and many others). There were plenty of other (less spectacular) issues with the batteries/chargers with other teams too.

I've also had some experience with prismatic cell based lightweight car batteries (sponsor supplied) and was pretty horrified. The balacing circuit was on protoboard free floating in the battery enclosure. Unsurprisingly one of the piddly internal terminals broke with all the movement. Horribly cheaply made with every corner cut.

jacteh
Jul 10, 2007

You Am I posted:

Eh, you see that a lot very summer time in Australia. Some old Land Crusier or Patrol with an incorrectly balanced boat trailer behind it

The IRS commodores are my favourite, running on the bump stops with only about 25mm of the inside edge of the tyre touching the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jacteh
Jul 10, 2007

quote:

Poorly secured battery chat

What's the worst that could happen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ9WcHPLTg0