Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwashedBuckles
Aug 10, 2007

Have at you!

Beach Bum posted:

In the spirit of the thread, somewhat. This is an example of a horrible mechanical SUCCESS. I walked away.

drat, did someone run a stop sign/red light?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwashedBuckles
Aug 10, 2007

Have at you!
Any progress on the Superleggeras, einTier?

SwashedBuckles
Aug 10, 2007

Have at you!

nurrwick posted:

Quasi-crosspost from the stupid questions thread (friendgoon Susan Calvin is the owner of the car, I just took the picture)

:woop: - The tire keeps going flat, I guess I'll take it to a shop and have something looked at.

:haw: - We replaced your TMPS sensor with a plain valve since we don't have the replacement part. Here's the old one. Stop using metal valve caps.

The body of the sensor is fine, but that's a pretty sweet valve stem failure, especially when you consider the cost of the unit is (she's told) $140+ from Ford/Mazda. Thanks, technology! Too bad there isn't a mandatory 8yr/80k warranty for the stupid safety poo poo the feds mandate like with emissions equipment.

Is this a problem with the TPMS modules or could it happen to any valve stem with a metal cap? Are the TPMS ones made of some particularly corrosion-prone metal?

SwashedBuckles
Aug 10, 2007

Have at you!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the frame bending actually be preferential to blowing a shock? Not only for the rationale that you can still drive with it but the cost of replacing one or more of those racing shocks is probably more than the $500 quoted to straighten the frame.

SwashedBuckles
Aug 10, 2007

Have at you!

einTier posted:

gently caress. I just let all the smoke out of the Cayman S at the track today. I might be posting some really great photos soon, we'll see. I'm hoping head gasket, but it might be "new engine".

poo poo, hopefully it's not too bad. First the Superleggeras and now this... :sympathy:

SwashedBuckles
Aug 10, 2007

Have at you!

bolind posted:

...right...

Yes, we Europeans lust after the V6 Mustang (screw the GT) for our high-speed autobahn driving. In fact, it's selling by the thousands 'round these parts. It's the great fuel economy, low price and substantial dealer network that seals the deal.

Jesus cartwheeling christ what a dumbass. Hope the dealership denies each and every one of his warranty claims.

Assuming this guy was smart enough to have kept the video off of the internet, what were the chances of Ford honoring a warranty claim on the failed driveshaft? Would they be able to tell the speed the car was going when it let go?

SwashedBuckles
Aug 10, 2007

Have at you!

Billy Tully posted:

I also have an old saw you might like so I'll bring it along of we all do this thing.
I'd be down for a NE AI goon meet/destructothon. I'm about an hour from Nashua so that works for me

SwashedBuckles
Aug 10, 2007

Have at you!

You Am I posted:

Why the gently caress did you do that for, other than trying out insurance fraud?
I'd bet it's illegal to drive due to the damage but what makes that insurance fraud?

SwashedBuckles
Aug 10, 2007

Have at you!
Freeeedom!!!

But why did he assault a random person? 'Roid rage? Reefer madness? Or just channeling his inner Ed Hardy?

SwashedBuckles
Aug 10, 2007

Have at you!

Raw_Beef posted:

I've never owned one or had to use it, but ive worked on many porsches with what i consider a horrible spare tire setup. First off the car is so low you need the OEM low profile hand crank jack, then the spare itself is deflated and collapsed on itself from the factory for storage. You need the OEM infater can to activate the spare. I'm pretty sure its a one time use thing, since i cant see how the tire would re-fold itself to be stored in its little holding area.

This also means youre probably putting your full sized wheel with the flat in your back seat or something, sinc it cant go where the inflate-a-spare did.
Is there a DOT or similar requirement for every car to have a spare? That's the only way a setup like you've described would make sense to me, as if you ever actually had to use the spare you would be cursing Porsche's engineers. Maybe they assume if you get a flat in one of their cars you'll just call a tow and take it to the dealer.

SwashedBuckles
Aug 10, 2007

Have at you!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I don't get it. Why would he need more? They paid for everything and cushioned it a bit so he came out on top in the hospital and with better equipment. Or is it because suing is 'MERICA as gently caress?
Think of the trauma he went through; he'll never be able to shoot again without thinking his weapon is about to blow up in his face. Pain and $uffering and all that

But more or less america

SwashedBuckles
Aug 10, 2007

Have at you!

kastein posted:

Not sure whether this belongs in horrible failures or awesome AI poo poo.

A friend of mine broke all of these dana 44 parts (and a few 60 parts) in his jeep over the course of 2 years. Was going to scrap them, and then decided to do a little welding instead.

Nope, definitely awesome. If the AI art thread hasn't fallen into archives I'd put it there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwashedBuckles
Aug 10, 2007

Have at you!

CommieGIR posted:

Lighter yes, but flow better?

Maybe a smoother interior surface due to the manufacturing? :shrug: