Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

This is probably a horrible mechanical failure being prevented, but I thought the sheer power involved fit the theme of the thread.

I was leaving the basement of the Georgia Tech Library last night when I heard a noise like a freight train start up. As I left the building, that turned into an incredibly loud roaring/hissing noise from the direction of the Georgia Tech Steam Plant. As I got closer (but still not in full view of the steam plant), the sound reached painful/damaging levels, and I put on my motorcycle helmet to mitigate it. When I reached the steam plant, I saw this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKfE9HThrxA

To put things in perspective, the steam plant is right next to the A marker on the map, and the library is in the top left. The pipe venting steam is in the area circled in blue. Bobby Dodd way is a major pedestrian artery to and from the library, and was being pretty heavily used at the time.

The sheer volume indicated to me that the venting is nowhere near normal, and I wondered what sort of overpressure catastrophe was being prevented. I peeked my head into a window of the actual plant expecting to see people running around, but instead I saw one guy, calmly working on something pipe-related. As I got to my motorcycle, I heard a sound like a giant valve turning, and the roar of the steam died down to nothing. I peeked back into the window, and the guy calmly working was nowhere to be found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

NOTinuyasha posted:

The fact that the driver was only severely injured seems more like an incredible mechanical success to me.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Can't imagine you'd want to be in the car for that, though.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Paul Boz_ posted:

I guess you've never turned over an engine that had a cat sleeping in it.

I met a girl who did that. She was parked illegally with her hood up, and I decided to see if I could help. There was a kitten wedged up behind her fuse box, with it's butt caught on an A/C line.

Two hours and a lot of tugging later, she adopted this thing:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

EightBit posted:

He meant "cat sleeping in/on fan or accessory belt". It's not pretty. It's also hard to tell a little girl that your truck ate her kitty because you didn't know the dumb animal would sneak up there for warmth.

I know. I just wanted to replace that image with a happy ending.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Cowwan posted:

All this fire talk reminds me of that drat bolt on my Civic's fuel filter; there is a bolt to let you release the pressure in the fuel line before taking out the banjo bolt. When I replaced the fuel filter and put the bolt back in the result was gasoline getting sprayed all over the engine bay; I managed to get it to stop, but in the back of my mind I expect that one day it is going to work itself loose and spray gasoline all over a hot engine.

Rumor has it that your block really isn't going to get hot enough to burn gasoline. Your cat, however...

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Disguise a fire extinguisher as a nitrous bottle. Problem solved.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

thecobra posted:

SUVs were just made for jumping poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GssvNBPB3A0

I think [s]he found the resonant frequency of a Ford Explorer.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Something similar almost happened to my 4cyl YJ. The harmonic balancer worked its way loose. I was driving in the south Georgia boonies, and I heard a rapid tictictictictictictictictic sound that came and went. When I got back home, I popped the hood and discovered that it was my serpentine belt being chewed to shreds, and loose ends were smacking into and wrapping themselves around the radiator hoses. I replaced that belt, and that's when I discovered it wasn't sitting right on the balancer. I must have driven 200 miles like that before getting it fixed.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

InitialDave posted:

I like the idea of DBW throttles, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the technology or the function. I do not like things such as not being able to left-foot brake because the car decides I must be accidentally hitting two pedals, and even if it's possible to change that with reprogramming, I shouldn't have to (and can't on things like hire cars).

Why are you left-foot-braking on rental cars? It's a cheap economy car you use to get from the airport to Grandma's, not Prodrive/WRC/97/001

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Jesus, I'd describe that as a mechanical success of everything except for the nut behind the wheel if your cousin walked away from that.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

It would run forever on literally any grade of gasoline, but people would find the distinct shape of the seat divisive.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Landerig posted:

SHE CAN'T TAKE ANYMORE SHE'S GONNA BLOW, CAPTAIN!!

Seriously that looks one or two PSI away from bursting and making one hell of a noise.

What do you do when a tire looks like that? Cut the valve stem with a 10' lopper, or do you evacuate everyone and just shoot it?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

"That's a pretty sweet looking offroad tread patter... that's not an offroad tire at all."

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

If that was a drag tire, that would actually be a good look (sans the gaping holes in the sidewall).

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Colonel Sanders posted:

Why do those rotors look like that? Is that normal?

Looks like rear drums.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I saw a Scion that was scorched from the windows up on the back of a flatbed today.
The roof was sunken and everything, but the bottom half of the car seemed unscathed. odd.

It's remarkable how much heat travels straight up in a fire, as opposed to sideways.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

The Autozone mirror on my Jeep did that pretty regularly until I ditched the adhesive that came with it and used a two part epoxy.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

PatrickBateman posted:

In aviation, that would be an airworthiness directive for the entire fleet to be retrofit.

Yes, but a 20 year old airframe is still considered pretty young.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

That happened to a friend of mine's RX7. I passed a car that had broken down in lane 3 of 5 lane Interstate and thought, "That looks like Chris's car!". Then I looked at the guy standing at the side of the road and thought, "That looks like Chris!"

Turns out he hadn't used a torque wrench, and had torqued his lug bolts unevenly. He learned that lesson. Fortunately, a cop was nice enough to grab his wheel, which wound up in the left side brakedown lane.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Ozmiander posted:

Who actually does that? I've never seen anyone do anything other than tighten them with a tire iron in a cross pattern.

The RX-7, if I recall correctly, is a special case because it has lug bolts rather than lug nuts, and I think they're made of aluminum* so if one of them it torqued incorrectly, everything will work itself loose*.

*Or so I am lead to believe

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I guess, like churning milk into butter, you can churn some oils into wax.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

I had this happen at about the same speed on the back of a VW caddy/pickup, full tread flew off leaving just coards and a flat tire.. I noticed it leaking and had filled it up a few miles ago at a gas station. Seemed like it lifted the whole back of that dinky little truck off the ground when it went and drat did it make a bang.

Sounds like a good customer to me.

Unrelated...on my brothers E30. Who can tell me what's wrong with this picture

Missing a bolt on the top right of that support. Missing a support around the bottom right bolt.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

You Am I posted:

Jesus that Audi must have been going bloody quick to cause that amount of damage

It's an Audi. It either gets driven really quickly until it slams into something else or it gets driven slowly until it needs a new timing chain, at which point it gets sold cheap to someone who will drive it quickly.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Hell, my motorcycle will alternate between cylinders if it starts to overheat.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Fucknag posted:

Tell me about it.

Drives me to loving drink.

The FS-DE was a halfway decent engine, just wildly underbuilt for the turbo they stuck on it.

My Mazdaspeed Protege by camerazn, on Flickr

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

This came up, I think, over in AI a while back. It's an actual product.
http://www.thestickler.com/

I'd probably use a big hammer rather than my leg to manipulate the wood, however.

Edit: Oh wait, this is AI. Maybe it was in TFR?

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 21, 2013

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Fucknag posted:

Ah, see I wasn't aware the MS3 had any electronics in the wastegate setup; my MSP just has a straight vacuum line (also a much smaller turbo running way lower boost).

Lower boost, yes, but the MSP turbo was actually gigantic. The MS3's turbo is about the size of your fist (or it was the last time I looked at one, which was in 2007-ish)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Why would they design a tunnel digging machine that is irrecoverable if it breaks down while digging a tunnel? That is retarded.

If I recall correctly, the boring machine isn't broken down, it's just running into bigger/smaller/less stable rocks than projected and is at risk of overheating. The assumption is that, if it can get through this section of ground OK, the more compact ground under the city will be easier to get through. It's really a failure to properly survey/engineer the project beforehand.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Godholio posted:

The article linked describes sand in the grease and potential bearing/main axle damage.

Ok, cool, I missed the link. I remembered reading about a previous delay in the same project, the URL of which I can't find now.

e. Or maybe I just misunderstood what I'd read previously.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Joe Mama posted:

This is sort of along the lines of why many Californians, including myself, are against the bullshit proposed SF/LA high speed rail. poo poo, BART wanted to dig a multi-billion dollar tunnel under the city of Livermore to a combined ACE/BART station downtown when every other station is along the 580 and would be easier and faster to do.

Quit standing in the way of progress. How will this country ever get high speed rail if we don't make a huge mess of it somewhere first?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

"I paid $40,000 for this car, it had better go until I tell it to stop!"

This is my mother, at least, whenever her 5-series needs something expensive.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

525i Sportwagon circa 2004 or so, with European Delivery. I think it was $40 and change.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Darchangel posted:

That is art. What does that even sound like?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW45Dq0FPKY#t=95s

Wow, double-beaten

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Sand drag racing sounds like a mighty good time. And hell, if you're in the UAE what else are you gonna do to have a good time?

Roll around in gigantic piles of money and mistreat foreign workers?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Mazdas are kind of like Japanese Italian cars.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

A Melted Tarp posted:

Which is interesting because it is used in emergency medicine as liquid sutures.

If you think of the inside of your lungs as one really really big cut that doesn't bleed but allows gas exchange, then imagine misting that cut with superglue, you can get a feel for what's actually happening.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like that's a chunk out of a hubcap, no?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Reminds me of when I got my first car. My friend came over and said, "drat, these hubcaps are really convincing" before trying to pull my alloys off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

All I see is a bunch of people not killed from taking a 40-odd-pound projectile to the face, so mechanical successes all around!