Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Ugh probably hosed the suspension, becsuse he has way more bricks than he should in that bes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The Locator posted:

The one in the background is on fire too. Having a hard time believing that two of them would fail and catch on fire at the same time without some human intervention.

possibly a software glitch that didn't' feather the blades correctly, or allowed them to over-speed and couldn't stop them.

edit: Maybe the guy from office space messed up on the decimal point.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

0toShifty posted:

And the tire BECAME the Michelin Man.

Wow that tire is hosed.

Edit quote for new page

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Edit for clarity

We found the cause of this

it was

0toShifty posted:

And the tire BECAME the Michelin Man.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 17, 2016

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'm a fan of the penis shaped indentation in the piston.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

slothrop posted:

Came here to say this. Should we get married now? Oh wait it's not legal where I live

I'm in a legal state so you want to move?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

A lot of lpg vehicles are dual fuel, I think someone had a Saab in AI questions thread that wouldn't kick into lpg because a sensor was bad and and some kind of temp was reading too cold so it would only run on liquid gasoline.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Do they not attach wheels in Russia?

You see you capitalist pig, with your moneys, and all your taking from the poors, having all your lug-nuts is a luxury.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Stanley locking adjustable wrench!!

Best adjustable wrench ever. It is a disgrace how long I went without owning one of these.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Nothing a dremmel can't fix...

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

bolind posted:

Newer ones? Around here, people buy old cars of that size and then poo poo a brick when they hear that a single tire is the price of a full set for the Corolla they had previously.

X5's and Cayennes now hit the mark of Cheap enough for the poors to buy a 10 year old one.
My work parking lot have been recently filling with these and I know why: (It's not like I work at a place where the majority makes bank. I"m probably in teh top 10% of earners in the building and I don't earn that much. ).
People buy them because "HEY I can get a Cayenne/x5 for less than a 2013 civic, time to live the baller style life I wanted 10 years ago when they were 70k!"
Drive them on the tires that came form the used dealer which were probably passable at the time, and don't align it because they can only barely afford the car.
Shop says you need tires sometimes soon.. that'll be $1,200
Continues to drive on bald poo poo tires with no alignment until tax money comes.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

starter is telling you your new house is haunted.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Riiiiight.
Perfectly fine to catastrophic overnight, i'm sur ehtere were no warning noises or pulsing brake pedals.. it went from new brakes to pads sliding off.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Right but generally pads have wear bars.. I figured what was being posted was they wore down. And fell out

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

jamal posted:

Wear bars on brake pads? How does that work? You do usually have a little tab that squeals, but they don't always get installed, or put on the right side so they just pop off. But the people that let the pads fall out of the caliper probably aren't going to notice that anyway.

Yeah that's what I'm talking about, that little tab.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

so it works like everything else on a VW.. varied

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Engineers "it's um designed to be more efficient on highway drives where you don't need the same gearing as city driving.. um.. yeah that's it!!!"

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

This is not fun.

Post your engine history.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Lime Tonics posted:

words AKA why I won't own another ford ever in my life even if it's free

you'd think ford would have figured this poo poo out.. My 2001 focus had door opening recall issues that was 16 years ago you'd think they would have figured that poo poo out by now.. like extra careful after the first time they had issues like that

Other recalls on my focus:

Front springs broke, not fixed until they broke, there were incidents of springs tearing tires on the highway because they didn't fix till the springs actually broke, luckily mine broke coming out of the driveway.

Fuel pump: stopped working 3 yers into ownership.

wheel bearings wearing out

front seat reclining all on its own.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Geoj posted:

There was a TSB for this that included a very generous extended warranty. I had mine replaced outside of the factory 3/36 warranty free of charge.

Am I alone in feeling that wheel bearings are a wear item and their eventual need to be replaced isn't out of the ordinary? Or did you mean "wearing out quickly"?

Yes there was a tsb but sure sucked parking my car one night, then. It going into work the next morning because my fuel system stopped working.

Both rear wheel bearings died prematurely, like within 35k.

What I listed was the stuff that was wrong what I listed was fixed for free except for the bearings, either the tsb/recall didn't really extend that far, or I forgot to check for one before replacing.

Not listed, all the other poo poo that wore out or broke before other cars I owned with twice my fords mileage.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Apr 1, 2017

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Discount tire = Mavis discount tire?

I will never go back, I tried to take a tire off because they failed me on brakes (which I knew was good). I was standing and jumping on the breaker bar to get the lugs loose.

I called and asked the store I'd they actually used the torque sticks that they had hanging behind the counter or if they were for display only.. they told me they always use them and have a video of each Bay so they are sure their mechanics always use them. A 200lb person bounce on a lug wrench should not be required to break the lugs free after a 5 min drive.

They failed my safety inspection(why I was taking the tired off) for brakes with 'excessive rounding' I asked what the gently caress they meant and they gave me some bullshit answer, got it inspected 30 min later somewhere else and had no issues.

gently caress that place in the rear end.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Boogalo posted:

The transponders like EZpass are also a racket. You have to keep them preloaded and can't just pay a bill at the end of the month.

how is that a "racket" I put $25 on mine then don't worry about it for several months or more I think you can go as low as like $10 for preloading.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Wait what?

I really want to test drive the car and figure out what it feel like to brake.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Just add 20 dollars to the base price of the car.

And not add the straps and you get another $20, in profit.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Does they make it a biturbo?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

id' be interested to see what happens if you ran one in reverse!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Under spoiler for personal injury :nms:

Oh gently caress!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Like maybe if you are in North Carolina, here in the Northeast even the 1 stage showthrowers are basically useless unless you only get a dusting

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I saw that coming a million miles away.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'd like video.. I want to hear the noise.

it just gets more and more beautiful each time I watch..

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

That's a lot of shear force in parts that aren't designed to take it.

Itz probably a solid bar rear axel held on by a bunch of bolts which are totally not designed to take a 20mph bounce off a curb fully sideways

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

No sound on these videos sorry guys. I mean the turbos sounded good but I wanted to hear the kaboom where the engines extremely bottom end decided to let everything above the crank go feee

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I literally knew nothing about this until four days ago, since I'm thinking of getting a water softener and RO unit installed. Apparently people have run their RO water lines to their on-demand hot-water taps at their sink, with subsequent catastrophic failure of the copper holding tank.

I had a softener kill a washing machine because it sped up the galvanic corrosion. Thank you Whirlpool for using an aluminum "spider gear/arm" on your stainless steel washing machine drum.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

CornHolio posted:

My bad, I thought it was her minivan. I think it's their other vehicle. Ford Escape I think.

Old I know but.
My buddy's parents had this happen to their Escrap. Soooo they bought another Ford. You'd think they'd figure out the simple poo poo like shock towers by now.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Never have I ever rebuilt a Type 1 VW engine then had to write in all my reference books in sharpie "distributor installed 180* reverse firing order" Not even once have I done this.
Also gently caress those god damned split cases bearings I bought like 4 sets because one would manage to move when I put the case back together.

edit: the mechanical failure is coming from inside the thread

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

BloodBag posted:

Worst I ever got was trying to push a lawnmower spark plug lead further down the plug because it was slipping off, while the engine was idling. :science:

I still remember my dad pulling plug wires on my be cabriolet while it was running and hearing him yell "shut it off!!!!!"

One of the wires was leaky.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Data Graham posted:

TURN IT OFF poo poo THERE’S ELECTRONS GETTING EVERYWHERE

Mostly on his body.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

My buddy was talking to me today in the lunch line.
Buddy: Went to mow my lawn yesterday and it was blowing smoke like crazy, I've got to take it into the shop on lunch tomorrow. I thought there was something on fire down the street it was so smokey and it was also down on power a bit. [somewhere in this conversation he mentions something about adding oil]

me: So did you change the oil or did you just add some?
Buddy: Just added it it's been sitting all winter
Me: Why did you add oil, did you check it and it was low? Was it leaking oil, why did you add oil? Also Sometimes mowers that have been sitting will have some seepage so it may be normal for it to blow a bit of smoke after sitting all winter.

Buddy: well it felt a little down on power too.. I think I"ve lost compression or something.
Me: When you added the oil was it low on oil? When you filled it was it low or full?
Buddy: It wasn't too low, 1/2 way between full and empty
Me: Was it halfway up the dipstick or halfway up to "full"
Buddy: "It was halwfay up to full not the dipstick"

He then texts me at night
"I just got home, checked the dipstick the oil was way over full going to remove some tomorrow before I take it in to the shop"
me: how long had you let it run
About 5 mins or so.

Here's to hoping he doesn't need a rebuild on the engine that was rebuilt last year because he's a dipstick.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

yeah I assume he didn't murder it, It's probably a 15-20 HP mower engine. hopefully he learned his lesson.

No the only time he's ever worked on his vehicle is under strict supervision from another friend who has an auto-shop.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Godholio posted:

:stare: How big is this lawn mower?

Commerical ride ons are in the 20-25 HP rating.. I don't think his is a commercial, but still shoudl be about 15HP.
I Think my 80s era Rider is a 12HP Brigs.. so 15-20 in a modern mower is not a whole lot to ask for.