Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
I'd be willing to bet that many are "lost" rather than lost, because no one wants their contents to be found

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

nm posted:

Men (speaking as a man) are loving stupid about stuff like this. We figure if we can still walk, talk, and breathe everything is fine and we'll get over it.

As a fellow man, if I ever inhale something whose use is considered a war crime in quantities well above LD50, I would go see a doctor. Actually, I'd call an ambulance and then a loved one.

I know we're all dumb, but we're not all that dumb.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

All this talk of horrible sulphur and flouride compounds, and yet sulphur hexaflouride is inert and completely harmless.

Yeah, but it exists in equilibrium with S2F10, which is really NOT harmless. Those guys doing the anti-helium voice thing with SF6 on youtube? They're idiots.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

nm posted:

Nonsense, this is Russia you're talking about. they did this:
(potentially NSFW ads)http://englishrussia.com/2007/12/07/from-river-to-river/

Since that thing's not counter balanced like the Falkirk Wheel, it's not relying on no work being done and small motors being used (the falkirk wheel runs off four washing machine motors); they have gently caress-off big motors lifting a huge weight and doing heaps of work.

Then part of me wondered how much its a case of the lift is there to raise barges over the dam, and the dam is there to just power the lift.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
who said he earned it?

"Daddy I want a GT-R"
"I said I WANT a GT-R!"

Also, he didn't buy an Audi built properly with 700bhp because he wanted 1200bhp, and 1200>700 so clearly a GT-R with $250k spent is better than any supercar

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

I know appearance and functionality are often not hand-in-hand, but it really looks made of silver-spraybombed cardboard.

Yeah, but does it have functionality at all? There's a space frame underneath it that actually does all the structural poo poo. CF is only really useful in monocoque structures, isn't it? Other than the spoiler and splitter (which don't look that bad), that's all "cosmetic", in that GF makes an aerodynamic fairing just as well for a lot less time, cost and effort. Or he could rip all the other poo poo off and drive it like an Ariel Atom.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

jamal posted:

It's a good way to make light and stiff surfaces that see high aerodynamic loads. He would definitely be better off driving it with less giant wings on the car though. Generally you want to get the drivetrain and chassis/suspension dialed in before throwing huge aero loads into the mix. From a basics standpoint, it has a big splitter and big wing and such so there will be a reasonable amount of downforce. But there is no way of knowing how that downforce will be applied and what will happen at speed. If I had to guess, very pitch sensitive and unpredictable.

Well, sure, those body fairings would see fairly high aerodynamic loads at M>0.5, but at car speeds I would have thought regular old fibreglass could do the job about as well. Those panels have small surface area, are not intended to generate much lift, lots of mounting points to the frame, not much bending moment... why would you bother with CF? (I say that not having done any CFD analysis on a car before). I'm sure the larger airfoils need to be CF, but he looks like he made those properly.

edit: But yeah, perhaps he should have spent those 6 hours of testing on the drivetrain before worrying about aerodynamics.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jun 26, 2013

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

jammyozzy posted:

Nobody wants to build a heavy race car, especially at an event where your engine loses power as you go. The other problem you have is that the panels sit relatively high where you especially don't want the weight, so there's all the more reason to choose CF. I'm not saying you can't make a very light shell from fibre glass, but it's much easier if you start with something less dense.

You're right. Money-no-object, CF will be lighter and I guess those few fractions of a pound matter at the pointy end of the racing industry.

jammyozzy posted:

The final reason is gently caress sanding fibre glass, that poo poo loving sucks. :argh:

But you've never worked with CF, have you?

silicon fiber is recognised as a foreign body, but carbon fiber is biologically inert. So silicon fibers get coated in little cyst thingies so the sharp silicon fibers can't cut/damage your cells, where sharp carbon fibers don't get coated and continue to cause cell damage for the rest of your (reduced) life. Very bad in the delicate tissue in your lungs when you breath them in

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

jammyozzy posted:

I actually haven't no, my Uni has just finished building an autoclave for next year's Formula Student car but I leave tomorrow. :shobon:

If you can, offer to do the lay-up of the pre-preg, and let the other schmucks in your group do the handling/sanding. We have a couple of autoclaves for UAV work, and the take-away is that we always build in GF unless we really need to use CF

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I'm amazed at how little it takes to total a car these days. A couple of weeks ago my buddy banged up his SRT-4. Worn tires + rain + whatever unholy amount of power that thing is making now = making love to a guardrail. No mechanical damage whatsoever. Just a banged up front fender and a nice deep scrape across the doors and back fender. Even though those cars seem to hold their value well its very much totaled. I've been trying to convince him to buy it back and swap the engine into a K-car.

We don't get that anymore in our part of the world. The government eliminated "repairable write-off" so now a car must be one or the other. Insurance companies will repair damage right up to the value of the car. It sucks when you're looking to sell and have a well timed accident, and it also pushes everyones insurance price up, but it does stop/slow backyard chop-shops and re-birthing.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

You Am I posted:

You'd think that, especially with some of the dealer charges that get slapped on cars. I remember one Australian car magazine doing an investigation into what the dealerships do for them to charge you close to thousand dollars, and all it ended up with at most dealerships was a $1000 car wash.

I think it's about $600 for the car wash and $400 to remove the plastic wrap on the seats and interior.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Cakefool posted:

Any goons here that work in aircraft maintenance? I attended a little talk at work a couple of weeks ago that talked about how the designers took "maintenance" and "what is humanly possible" and no part exists in isolation" into account when designing systems, fastenings, plumbing, routing etc. It was all very interesting & they showed some cad walkthroughs of an engine mounted on a wing, maintenance doors opening, human arm and recommended tool comes into view, bolts & brackets get removed, parts come out & in again.

Basically is that how it is in real life?

See if you can find the 777 anti collision light example. The 777 was designed from scratch on CAD and they did include a little human figure to see where arms can reach and what can be accessed with what range of motion and what physical strength and so on. They still managed to build the dorsal (or maybe tail) strobe light so the bulb could only be access from inside the dome but outside the pressure hull - so you'd better hope the thing lasts 20-odd years because there is literally no way of accessing it. I think there was something similar with the 787. The system exists but it isn't fool-proof.

(They ended up doing an absurdly expensive retrofit to access it, but after the production line was in full swing)

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

murphle posted:

I want to know more about the gigantic gently caress-off novelty sized micrometer in the background of this photo.

I believe it's a prop for teaching kids how to use a micrometer

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Devyl posted:

How does something like that happen?

well, the text is russian so I'm guessing Siberian winter (which might even be pushing the glass transition temperature of steel) plus many, many big loving bending moment cycles plus the finest of Russian maintenance

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

2) Make the regular fuel system run rich as you inject the nitrous. All the idiots "rolling coal" could probably get quite the extra power by adding NOS, since black exhaust from a diesel is from running rich.

There's a special circle of hell for you if you're encouraging "rolling coal" dicks to add NOS. Even for just suggesting it as something they might benefit from.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 13, 2014

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

vvv --- Well, I'd prefer if they'd just pipe the exhaust into the cabin, thereby solving the problem in another way, but if they added NOS they wouldn't be "rolling coal" because all that extra fuel (that comes out as black smoke) would be burned instead, giving MORE POWA and less soot.

True, they wouldn't be dicks who "roll coal", but they'd still be dicks. So I say you shouldn't (unwittingly) encourage them.

Unrelated fact: The best way to really piss off 'dem fag tree huggers is to prove that global warming is total LIEberal bullshit by piping your exhaust directly into your cab. Those hippies fuckin' hate that.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Well, wouldn't that just make them ordinary "car enthusiasts"?
I would argue no, because a) they at one stage were "rolling coal" and they have to live with that for the rest of their lives, and b) anyone who uses NOS or N2O on the street is just a bit of a dick.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I'm sorry, don't you mean LIEberal? :freep:
Fixed.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 13, 2014

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

:stare:

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Craptacular posted:

Somebody tell me why F1 (and Indy cars for that matter) still run open cockpits. Wouldn't an enclosed cockpit be safer? Is it just tradition and so they just deal with it being less safe, or is an open cockpit actually safer somehow?

An enclosed cockpit won't save you if you're hit by a full wheel @ 300+kph. Nothing will save you. However, an open cockpit is easier to get out of in a fire, and making an enclosed cockpit that is as easy to escape from would probably be very heavy. I suspect it ultimately comes down to the lightest solution that meets the safety requirements of minimum evacuation time.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

xzzy posted:

I'm not sure these days an open cockpit is easier to get out of.. have you seen drivers climb into a modern F1 car? It's like giving birth in reverse.

I swear I heard it somewhere that there was a requirement on ease of removing the steering wheel and exiting (with help?) in the event of a fire.

But yeah, sitting with legs raised to chest height, hand holds above shoulder height and bum down low at the bottom of the car can't be easy to get out of without help.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 15, 2014

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
From a driver safety point of view, it wouldn't matter what damage you did to the car getting out.

I'm guessing but it might be in the event of a breakdown; the driver gets out and over the barriers and the marshals need to move the car out of the way, so having a steering wheel easily re-attached might help?

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Jesus loving christ I don't even know if anybody I've met in the US has ever been insured for 7 million dollars, let alone 20mil (or euros or whatever). :psyboom:

At least in my state most people I know are between 250k and 1mil, leaning more towards 250k. I'm insured for $500k for each one of the three categories (I forget what they are at the moment.)

I've never even seen a policy with less than $20 million third party property cover here in Aus. Some idiots drive around without any TPP cover though. Third party injury is compulsory to have and is unlimited $.

That's what happens when you have compulsory insurance and a rational legal system.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

VOR LOC posted:

Christ that sounds like the most German engine ever. There is a BMW engineer with a cutaway of this engine hung on his wall with the caption "Perfection" or some bullshit.

I'll see it with a Napier Deltic:

And raise a prototype Napier (which I think is called a Deltic although it clearly is a Quadric):

Apparently it got to prototype stage...

Taco Box posted:

Why have just *two* crankshafts when you can have three? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napier_Deltic
:argh:

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Memento posted:

Oh sure, getting speckled with hot stuff definitely happens. It's the price you pay for not getting your chest caved in by a steering column, and fair enough. But they have chemicals in them that retard actual flame fronts from developing.

Didn't one of the first cars with airbags have a design "feature" that vented the hot gasses directly onto the drivers' chest/lap?

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Slavvy posted:

This comes up on this forum every once in a while and the only people to bitch about diesels, from what I've seen, are americans. I don't know why this is. Do you guys expect them to be like a petrol, or something? Everyone else seems to have cottoned on to how great they are and always have been.

diesel != diesel.

Different markets formulate diesel differently. Euro diesel is nicely refined and works well in cars, Aus diesel has more sulfur compounds and is generally poo poo in euro diesel cars, China diesel is not much better than bunker oil and will ruin a delicate euro diesel car engine and so on.

It could also be that Americans on average don't understand that there will be differences with petrol, but delicate, efficient, clean diesel cars outside the EU are generally poo poo due to the fuel being poo poo.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 9, 2015

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

For some reason, I have this mental image of a weary UPS guy on his last day at work. They bring him into a room and through a window is his delivery truck. His daily partner for so long. His friend, his companion, his rock. This is the vehicle that helped put his kids through college, put a down payment on a house and financed that new pool that Frank down the street is so jealous of. Then they begin strapping him into a chair clockwork orange style and force him to watch as the vehicle is stripped and then crushed in front of him. As tears of sadness run down his face, they unstrap him from the chair, hand him his final paycheck and wish him a happy retirement.

Pretty sure they make a cheap watch out of the scraps which he's forced to wear to remind him of the impermanence and futility of existence for the remainder of his days too.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

kastein posted:

Alright, I'm going to do something I rarely do now and [review] a specific brand of aftermarket automotive component. [...] Braille batteries are right for you! :thumbsup:

This'll be on their testimonials page pretty soon. Gotta be careful about wording that poo poo.

Also, :catstare:

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 13, 2015

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Northern Cape, South Africa

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Bet they had to wash the driver's seat after that

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 19, 2016

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
A minor hydraulic fluid leak:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYQlNA2NJBI

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Memento posted:

Komatsu responded really quickly and really well. Looks like the crowd at the end was a lot larger, they got some decent publicity out of it and turned it into a positive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtdoSqPBjEQ

That's a really good spin on it. I imagine that eventually everything that big has oopsies on site, and showing they can get decontamination done and the unit back in service that quickly is probably a good look given how much of a pain environmental regs are (or supposed to be) about spills

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Elmnt80 posted:

Actually, I thought he did a fairly good job in this. Not only did he show off how easy it was to repair the larger piece of equipment, he also got in some feel good environmental management stuff and showed off another one of the company's products without coming across like a ~salesman~.

From a marketing perspective, the environmental protection mentioned isn't there to make greenies feel good, it's there to make board members not violate EPA rules. So it's actually much more effective than you give credit because he's speaking to the operations managers who are responsible for the mine revenue to tell them how easy it was to get back online, and also the chief internal salesmen, and to the board who don't want to get sued out their rear end for breaking environmental laws and are also decision makers who write the cheques.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Apr 19, 2016

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Powershift posted:

Doing a little research to do some dumb poo poo to my BMW when i came across this.

:stare:

Dumb question: Why are there weights on both sides?

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Slavvy posted:

So which end is the photo of?

The lip is the end of 7 near the arrow, and the pin is 5. Not pictured is a large portion of 2

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
Since we're talking horrible mechanical failures at Oxygen vs. Nitrogen (compounds)

tldr; BOC Gas installed gas lines at a hospital. Mixed up O2 and N2O lines in the neonatal care unit. One new-born baby dead, another is a vegetable.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

fridge corn posted:

i think commercial aircraft components have to adhere to international standards so chinese made engines will have to pass all the same tests any other manufacturer's

They no-poo poo make two versions of their aircraft; One that complies with the rules and can fly outside China, and a domestic version that doesn't and can't. There's no reason this'll be any different.

The main difference between the two aircraft is part tracking and log books. Domestic aircraft will fly until they break, foreign ones are supposed to have parts swapped out before then, but that's assuming the engineers actually did the work to calculate the service life, and having dealt with Chinese engineers, I highly doubt they did. I also guarantee that parts with unknown history or exceeded allowable service life will find their way into the foreign aircraft when a contractor somewhere decides to cut costs for a quick buck before going bankrupt and reopening in the same factory with a different name.

tldr; don't fly on a Chinese built aircraft

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

http://www.miningreview.com.au/news/drill-offsider-run-tracked-vehicle/

quote:

A drill offsider escaped with minor injuries after being run over by a tracked vehicle, according to a Department of Mines and Petroleum significant incident report.

The August incident occurred while the worker was tramming the tracked vehicle on his own, returning to the shore of a salt lake to refuel.

According to the report, the offsider got out of the vehicle to talk to the two occupants of an approaching tracked vehicle.

Both of the vehicle’s control levers were strapped in position so the vehicle could move forward without the offsider continuously holding the controls.

Upon returning to his vehicle, which had continued moving, he slipped and fell while trying to climb back into the cab.

The vehicle ran him over, with one of the tracks passing along the length of his body.

A person from the other vehicle managed to stop the unmanned vehicle, which was clear of the offsider.

“Fortunately, the ground was very soft and the offsider was pushed down into the ground by the vehicle’s track,” the report said.

The worker received injuries to his head and face, and a fractured hand.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
Saw this on FB. I think it qualifies as a horrible mechanical failure. I have no loving clue how you would do this

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
Fuckit, lets have a double post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Friar Zucchini posted:

What am I looking at?

For reference, it should look like this. Note the front wheel and first bogie