Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Don't think you can buy a cheap beater to run errands with in Florida and not get reamed. Not counting sales tax, it is $450 to get a loving new tag here, thanks to Dick Scott. The tag for my beater S-10 that I really only use to shuttle hay rolls from the feed shop was literally 30% of the cost of the entire vehicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Some mechanical, some just plain loving stupidity on my part. Cleaning up after the tropical storm down here, I got a little too close to the flooded part of my property. It's double stupid that I loving even tried it with those turf tires on.

It's the only time I haven't been able to walk that fucker out with the loader, but the ground was too soft to get a good enough grip to push it back. You can also see all the bark missing from a nearby tree where I tried to use it for leverage.

I actually made the guy behind the counter at tractor supply say " you poor bastard " when I pop a 6000 pound cable puller and 40 feet of towing strap down on the counter.

I don't gently caress up often, but when I do... :suicide:

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

I got it out!

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

sofullofhate posted:

Glad to hear it! I have to admit that I cackled a bit when I saw your picture. That's some terrible-looking poo poo.

Hope you weren't hit too hard by the storm.

Just wet. It flooded about 25% of my 6 acres. According to the meter about half a mile away we got 21" of rain in 48 hours.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Ferremit posted:

And in OTHER news...

And the best bits- Dealing with Subaru Australia...

He's in Adelaide with me for reference.

The chewed up bracket: $220 and has to come from Sydney
The Idler pulley: $107, In stock in Adelaide
The belt: $61, from Melbourne
The bolt and washer: $4.50ea from JAPAN

Chasing wreckers now, but unfortunately the EZ30 motors nowhere near as common as the 4 cylinder motors!

How was that not whining like a cat caught in a loving wheat thresher? Almost every tensioner/idler on its way I've seen usually picked up a high pitched whine before it goes.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Hmm.. I wonder why I was getting misfires on #8

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Coils and plugs on that whole side. 2003 linc Ls V8. It's just routine maintenance on these coil eating motherfuckers

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Root Bear posted:

Luckily the lift was just barely off the ground when the hose popped, and that it did so under the shield instead of into the open air.
It turns out that whomever installed this lift undercut the hose just enough to have to be pulled taut between both the rack and pump unit, which are just over 21 feet apart. When I unbolted the pump unit from the floor, the tension pulled it away from the wall at least 4-5 inches. :ughh:

A proper replacement hose costs drat near $200 and has to be custom made. :smith:

I hate hydraulic leaks. As expensive as hydraulic oil is nowadays, when I inevitably pop hoses on my tractor or FEL I just start tossing 20 dollar bills on the ground limping the fucker back to the garage.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

kastein posted:

Huh. Another one (stolen from a friend on another forum)

I had one fail in a similarly catastrophic manner in a 91 Chevy 4x4 when I was a kid.

The bearing started getting wonky around the pinion so that the torque was sucking it in until the carrier began to nail it every time it rotated.

Sounded like a rail car with a bad wheel when it finally let go.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Someone was kind enough to leave the entire tread of a Semi truck tire in the middle of the left lane on I-10 in a spot where I have concrete on one side and a SUV on the other. Of course I end up running over the goddamned thing at about 85 MPH, resulting in having to buy a $120 housing and a new bulb, because gently caress me that's why.

I'm still pissed about it. I guess I should be thankful that I didn't lose one of those thousand dollar HID headlamps.. but gently caress truckers and their hosed up retreaded tires that fail all over the place.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Krakkles posted:

Also, those headlights aren't HIDs.

Actually, they are.

e: the low beams, not the highs 2003 linc LS8 luxury sport

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 14, 2012

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

I had been putting off replacing the steering cylinder in my tractor due to the fact that it's a $350 part ( Deere of course ) The ball joints are integrated on that part and usually fail first, but I rode it till the cylinder itself developed a hydraulic leak that would make a urologist proud.

When it finally popped free, I realized how dumb I was. Luckily none of the bushings were harmed.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

PainterofCrap posted:

So-long, unnamed Da-Glo tool. We hardly knew ye.

Recommendation: Porter-Cable...if they sell them in the UK.

A little late but, Makita makes the best Circular saw. Bar none.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

This would be one of the times I would absolutely throw a head across the shop. Not mine.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

it's an EZout. I found this one on reddit.

When I have time and I encounter something that's in danger of getting wrung off, I found that about a half ounce of diesel fuel works wonders :)

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 11, 2013

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

I wish I had gotten pictures of what came out of it, maybe next time.

I was visiting with my father in law yesterday and my nephews were in town, ages 6 and 4. To help keep the little rugrats occupied, he always gives them little jobs to do. The job yesterday was to wash his almost new JD Gator with about 30 hours on it. He didn't keep a close enough eye on him, and when he want to start the gator to put it up, she wouldn't fire up.

FIL turned it over long enough to get it to fire, drove it down to the barn and it stalled again. Upon closer inspection, there was water dripping from the air cleaner housing ( oh poo poo ) and water in the muffler ( oh poo poo ). I pulled the dipstick and it was a quart overfull and a nice milky white ( Oh gently caress )

We drained it, flushed it out, and got it back right again, but I am disbelief the loving thing didn't hydrolock with a quart of water in it.

Also reinforced my decision to never have kids.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

The new ones are more ATV and less crawler. It's a slightly smaller version of this one http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US/products/equipment/gator_utility_vehicles/recreational_utility_vehicles/850i/rsx850i.page

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

How can something that is shorter than the ink pen in the background and no more than 3-4" inches tall weigh 20 pounds without either being pure tungsten, lead, or a Meteorite. Even the first two is a stretch.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Slavvy posted:

If it's an early sti/evo the red calipers turn a crusty pink like a a pot-plant that's sat out in the sun for a few years.

I've heard that called "the Brownbo effect"

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

^^ I'd love to see the chemistry behind that one. Wow.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

jammyozzy posted:

A stationary 20 year old vehicle gets ploughed by a truck going 65mph and they're not singing its praises that some passengers survived? :confused:

For once I think Chrysler are absolutely right, if it passed all of the safety standards in place at the time then they're not required to do any more. If there's a flaw in the safety regulations then every vehicle built to them should be recalled at the same time, singling out one or two models retroactively sets a horrible precedent.

I agree with this as well. It does make you wonder how much fun it must be for your main competition to be mostly government owned when dealing with regulatory bodies.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

:stare: :ohdear: I, uh, I'm gonna go get a flashlight and check mine right now.

The MazdaSpeed 3's are apparently bad to break motor mounts.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

The aforementioned Speed3 motor mount

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

The torque steer, the mounts, and apparently a really aggressive camber is what finally steered me from a speed3 to a WRX.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I've seen a set of leafs held together with tack welded coathanger wire. Dumb knows no limits.

A coat hanger makes a serviceable filler rod in a pinch :v:

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

My dad would always pour a pencil stream of water into the intake plenum of a hot and running engine about half throttle

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

I've done it on a TBI GM 2.8l V6 and it blew a bunch of carbon and poo poo out of the tailpipe.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Believe it or not, that motor ( in a '94 S10 ) was pretty damned well bulletproof. Except the front and real main seals :v:

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I am dumbfounded that Bosch still exists as a company. Every experience with a Bosch product (both electrical car components as well as non-electric parts) has ended with my throwing up my hands and vowing to never buy Bosch again.

It all started with a vw coilpack.

Their dishwashers are decent :)

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

I've done quite a lot of general cleaning with an aerosol sprayer and a can of methyl ethyl ketone. It will make a throttle body shine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butanone

Just don't have a lit cigar around it when applying.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Oooh gently caress that. I have serious post-traumatic stress poo poo going on from dealing with lexus customers when I worked at a Toyota dealer (dual brand dealership). They expect you to re-engineer the car because it does something they don't like which they chose not to bring up when they test-drove the bloody thing.

One guy was complaining that the car made a clunking noise when, and only when, he drove over catseyes. So he would deliberately drive down the center of the road with the right hand wheels on the catseyes so he could hear the noise and complain about it. We told him the car wasn't designed to be driven over catseyes and, really, he should just not drive on them constantly.

Guess how well that went down.

This. Right. loving. Here.

This is the kindred bond between auto techs and IT people.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Remember what people used to use pop tops off their beers to replace fuses and usually melt their fuse blocks? I think a pop top from a Bud light comes in at 200 amps or so.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

kastein posted:

Not so fast, he's such an agressively ignorant, unskilled chucklefuck he could probably manage to make TIG welds with a $20k machine look like that. And be proud of it, too.

That kind of obstinate, ignorant redneckery is why we have to deal with vehicle safety inspections :argh:

Edit: that jeep is basically cargo cult automotive fabrication. No idea what he is doing or why, but it's supposed to look about like this so gimme dat welder and them thar bits o rebar and steel toob, jethro! :banjo:

He probably watched too much Red Green as a child and no one told him it was a joke.

My theory is a harbor freight acetylene torch with a patented coat hanger filler rod.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Apparently someone over in reddit land got a raptor in that ran a tad bit lean..

http://imgur.com/a/RWPSY

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

I've heard some rumblings over durability on those 6.2's, strapping a blower on one and a tune probably intended for an industrial generator is probably a damned good way to see daylight through the block.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

God dammit. I did the rear brakes on my son's '96 Mustang this weekend because they started making a hell of a grinding noise. Pulled the left rear to find the caliper slides completely locked up sentencing one pad to death by maximum grindage. I KNEW I should have taken pictures as soon as I logged on the SA and remembered this thread.

Probably from power braking it to make large clouds of tire smoke

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

UPS talk: Considering how cheap a 10/100 ethernet card is nowadays, APC charges 300 bucks for that card on their standalone 1500's

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Isn't the GM 4.3 literally a GM 5.7 with two cylinders chopped off?

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

I had an 87 in high school and I straight up abused it. That truck never let me down, not even once. Carbureted 3.9V6 that was just plain bullet proof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

My grandmother is on the hook for about 100 grand in medical bills above and beyond the insurance payout from the texting 20 year old girl who ran a red light and t-boned her at about 50 MPH.