Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

oxbrain posted:

2500 miles and no mechanical failures that weren't as the factory intended.

The wail from the power steering pump that's louder than the engine? That's normal.

It is for my ford.

I should hitting 123456 mi very soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

The damage to my motor isn't nearly as bad as the catastrophic wreck my heart became when I saw this. However I couldn't post a picture of that so here's some mild carnage.

Tappet adjuster nut is on the loose somewhere in my engine.

top one is not damaged.
the one on the right is fine.
the one on the right is for comparison.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 16, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

CommieGIR posted:

What engine is that?

Honda.

Sockington posted:

Guessing a bike of some sort judging by the '750' on the valve cover and the rubber connecting bits to the head.

Yep.

Valt posted:

It's a 70s SOHC cb750, most likely a k motor as well

Someone get this man a CIGAR!

it's a 77 CB 750K.

I still haven't pulled the engine yet but I'm sure I'll find more mechanical failures when I do.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Nerobro posted:

No, it was a turbocharger, it's now a hosed turbo.

off topic:

what bike is that in your avatar?

my guess: a later CB, probably DOHC 81 750?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Nerobro posted:

It's at 1980 GS550. It's still in my garage. It needs a new wiring harness and the carbs sorted once and for all.

I knew it was a bombproof bike of some sort. I was right about the DOHC though.
Good luck with the carb issues. they can be a real PITA

/threadjack

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

peepsalot posted:

This was a while back, and maybe you already found out yourself, but your LSD split in half. It happens to every Mazdaspeed Protege, including mine. I recommend you get an aftermarket replacement from MFactory, cause the quaife's are loving expensive as poo poo.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...SD-Failure-LIST
Fun fact: I googled "LSD Failure" and that thread is #1
yes. this sounds like an excellent solution.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

joehein posted:

this is/was the center section from a ford 9in out of my 71 bronco. although it had seen better days it did drive onto the trailer.

from the days when men were men.
I can picture your bronco saying "it's just a flesh wound" as it hops up onto the trailer.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

cross post from my "bout to have a 5th alternator on a 2000 ranger" thread

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Maker Of Shoes posted:

dropping the gas tank in my Neon.

i'm on the 5th fuel pump as well. i'm in the habit of just always having a spare and the proper tools to either remove the bed or drop the tank if i happen to have a jack or ramps or the like on hand.

i blame 10% ethanol.

Brigdh posted:

Kinda debated posting this here with the "hurr apex seals hurr", but drat, this is some messed up dammage

http://www.rx7club.com/album.php?al...pictureid=32801

HAHAHA

oh.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 7, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

grover posted:

I got to the point where I could change out the alternator on my camaro in 15 minutes. 7 failures in 12 months will do that. I wasn't even doing anything wrong- they were just lovely rebuilt alternators and each one was failing for a different reason (though there were eventually some repeats).

GnarlyCharlie- looks to me like your bolt backed off and the loosened connector shorted the terminal to ground. Whoever installed it hosed up.

it was me and the nut u see is the locknut. the other one melted completely.
neither of them moved before turning into liquid.
the cause was some godawful wiring (splicing 8ga to 2 ga) done to "repair my dangerous wiring" by a local dealership.

I wish I had gotten a picture of the last "new" alternator they gave me. catastrophic bearing failure after 50 mi

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 7, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

grover posted:

Why haven't the horrible alternator rebuild shops been sued out of existence yet?

because it was a "new" not rebuilt one.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Alereon posted:

Potentially stupid question, but why don't engines have some sort of thermal protection that shuts them down before they get hot enough to catch on fire or sustain damage? I mean clearly there's a temp sensor since an overheat light comes on, why doesn't it just shut off?

apparently honda had this hard wired into their bikes in the 70's

ride it till it overheats, engine seizes and stalls out.

wait till it cools off and it starts right back up again like nothing ever happened.

Some diesel engines have something along these lines. It blocks the intake so no air gets into the motor and prevents this from happening:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zx3qKX_Pno

or this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4fxjKnuI4Y

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 11, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

slidebite posted:

Am I a bad person for wishing the car completely went up?
"first start after a year long rebuild"

Yeah, that's a pretty terrible thing to wish upon a Defender.
Now if it had been a VW or some douchecanoe with a smoke mapped cummings then I'd have wished the same thing.

edit: owait i misread. *ahem*
what I really meant was I haven't prayed for something so hard in my life.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 12, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

dietcokefiend posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlNDPh7j3aI

Part 2 has an awesome start

oh the CARnage!

cadillac cts ftw

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Veeb0rg posted:

Not nearly as fatal, almost the same result for the car though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKkqB2sJGmY

I'd be so conflicted about what to do in that situation.
I think the car lover in me would think and go save the Audi. (but give the guys keys to the po-po)

On the other hand... I really want to see his reaction when he wakes up and his car either won't start or shits the bed at the turn of a key.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

KaiserBen posted:

Wait, whaddya mean oil's not supposed to be green-blue?

you obviously do not use Motul oil.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

my cb750 K2 is a horrible mechanical failure.

I wonder how long the p.o. rode it like this:

what amazed me was that everything else seemed kosher. The gaskets were in great shape, the valve tappet clearance was spot on, it's almost like ht just rebuilt the motor and then forgot to put oil in it. Or it was like this when he tore it apart and he just put it back that way.

This cylinder rocks!

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 1, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Ola posted:

that poo poo!

McDeth posted:

Did those cylinder rocks come standard?
nah, aftermarket. but the PO threw them in for free with the purchase of New Old Stock tuner air.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Paul Boz_ posted:

Undiluted industrial ez-off is good at cleaning the worst oil stains off of concrete

I think you mean cleaning the worst concrete off of concrete.

I would attempt to get most of the oil up with purple power and a broom then hit it with some muriatic acid. That usually does the trick without creating craters.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Skyssx posted:

Brake fluid is also a great liver killer.

don't do this if you or any of your neighbors have pets.

you'll find 2 dead squirrels and a dead cat in your yard the next day.

edit: actually I was thinking about ethylene glycol...

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Apr 6, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Skyssx posted:

I must be doing it wrong then.

just add some antifreeze. that'll fix 'em

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

pending horrible mechanical failure.
x-post to "what on ur car"

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Shroomie posted:

what in the gently caress?

valve and guide have a bad breakup? the kind where she throws all his poo poo out on the street followed by gasoline and a match?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Splizwarf posted:

Which is why they fill time with speeding tickets. It's hard to find anyplace in VA where people don't speed, so one place is as good as any other to set up shop. And by shady mechanic we mean in this particular case Pep Boys. So vv

yea not to mention that NOVA has some of the highest Police per capita ratios in the entire country.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

I think that most mothers don't think that vehicles (let alone lawnmowers) need maintenance of any sort.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Shubs posted:

Watched contact for the first time last night.

http://youtu.be/RZn825jemqk?t=3m53s

Is the first cgi mechanical disaster posted in this thread?

I think so. congrats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PMl...feature=related
I want to know what caused this.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 20, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

KelvereseAysen posted:

..Oh.

that is the first time i've ever seen a briggs do that.
Once I drilled the jet on one of mine out and fit an intake trumpet from something or other I had lying around with a mesh screen as a filter.
Reassembled, taped the handle down, and took cover expecting it to eventually reach something like 10k rpms and explode. Never did. Actually It ran out of gas with no drama.

I used it to mow the lawn (really fast) for the rest of the season and left it there when I moved.

For all I know my friend is still using it to cut the grass.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

sharkytm posted:

They just start floating the valve, they don't rev any higher. Haven't you seen the Nitrous+lawnmower youtube series?

no but then there was something seriously wrong with mine because it would not idle normally. it just revved to high heaven.

maybe I put something back together wrong?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Shroomie posted:

I'm about 10 pages and 1.5 months late in replying to these, but gently caress it. Original post.

That last one actually isn't very far from the truth. As far as we can tell, the previous owner ported the heads and made the valve bowls thinner than they should be, then a blown heater hose on the highway caused the engine to overheat, cracking that area of the bowl. Finally, the head got pressure tested which lead to the pencil-sized hole you see in the photo.

We actually only changed it the once (well, twice if you count the replacement head) before deciding to get the head tested. It was still incredibly aggravating.

Moral of the story: Don't buy a racecar some redneck built in his garage and expect it to be fine.

I'm really glad you actually responded to this. it's been bugging me for about 10 pages and 1.5 months now.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

What kind of clutch is that? That's a lot of plates.

haha that's what I said. I'm not sure what bike it's from but I'm trying to find out now, that and just how the hell it happened.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

KozmoNaut posted:

Oh dear...

Backstory?

i don't know exactly how this happened. a friend sent it to me.

I do have the backstory on this though:

my friend with the mustang posted:

I should have bought bigger injectors a while ago.

Little bit to lean, all 8 look the same. Except for the #8 intake valve. The seat was cracked and why I was loosing compression. All of them white as snow except that one that is blacked out.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 28, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

peepsalot posted:

now THAT'S a 2 piece wheel

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Joe Mama posted:

3 months old. I have no clue.

[...backstory...]
At work we have a 1990 C2500 diesel that used to get used in the 90's but has mostly sat since. We recently decided to give it a second life by getting rid of the useless winch assembly on the back and put on a flatbed. When I went to start taking it apart I noticed the electric lift pump wasn't doing so hot so I replaced it. The whole fuel system was coated with a thick, sticky varnish substance (probably due to previous biodiesel use) along with what appeared to be pulverized rust or something. So I systematically clean everything in the fuel system. The tank had to be emptied, steam cleaned, dried, repeat. After that, this new sending unit/dip tube went in. 3 months later, the truck is running like crap again. After checking everything else possible I finally decide to check the tank. That above is what I find, covered in rust/varnish/vaseline/?, plus a tank interior that looks just like someone had coated it vaseline and threw black sand at it. 3 MONTHS. How in the hell did this happen? Help me.

how did you clean the tank and did you coat it afterwards? red kote, por15, fuel, etc...

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

ratbert90 posted:

I have to ask, is a timing belt considered basic maintenance? My brother snapped his timing belt and gave all sorts of excuses as to why he didn't do it, including "it shouldn't have to be done/a shop should have told me/it's not basic maintenance."

The belt is cracked and looks terrible, along with the idlers and tensioner. Stupid, preventable poo poo like that pisses me off.

For your brothers sake, I'm hoping you mean serpentine belt. Which is also basic maintenance. If your brother is looking to blame this on a shop that didn't tell him he needed it done... then smack him for me.

trouser chili posted:

If you are changing your timing belt at the right interval, you should be able to lay it down next to the new one and not tell them apart.
Funny thing about that, you're right. And it sucks when you have a terrible short term memory.
"Oh gently caress... which one did I take out?"

While we're on the topic:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Billy Tully posted:

That sucks man, there is a recall on Scirocco gas tanks for rust so you could have gotten a new one for nothing.

ding! ding! ding! we have a winner!!!
if you're not looking to replace it than etching it could work (although it's a total pita)

Get a bunch of phosporic acid (home depot sells phosporic etching acid with a rust inhibitor built in) and swirl a few (properly diluted) gallons around in your tank with some sand or nuts and bolts or whatever other abrasive to knock the worst of the rust off.

Then coat it with a tank liner if you feel so inclined.

Another option is electrolysis. (sorry to those who don't have the archives upgrade. you'll just have to google it)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

Mechanical failure in progress at the shop. Somehow someone grounded the battery to short on the brake hardline and the master cylinder is boiling over and the lines are glowing red. On standby with the extinguishers.

this happened to the clutch of my friends integra.
he wondered why teh hell he couldn't get it to start... then the smoke came.

I guess that stainless steel braided clutch line wasn't such a great idea after all.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

KozmoNaut posted:

I don't think any motorcycles since the 1950s have called for straight-weight oil, shared-sump gearbox or not.

This. Shared sump do call for Motorcycle specific oils though. Generally they have a higher zinc content and no friction modifiers, etc...

Lawnmowers on the other hand... (here we go again)

edit: holy massive picture batman!

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

thelightguy posted:

Plus I'm sure the local fire department loved having an excuse to actually use their foam, considering most places end up just dumping it on car fires before it goes bad in the tanks.

(Or they could have been boring and used a class D extinguisher or sand, but the former are loving expensive and the latter was probably unfeasible given the amount of metal there unless they brought in a front end loader.)

I wonder if my soda blaster would have been able to take care of that.