Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Motronic posted:

YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH :argh:

(and get off my lawn)

I hate to say it...HA! IN YOUR loving FACE YOU OLD COOT! but he's right though.
I constantly catch flack from the older guys from going from a points to electronic ignition on my old motorcycles but it really does make a hell of a difference.

Yea... I know how to use a dwell meter, just happen to like consistent spark and not having to carry sandpaper and feeler gauges in my pocket anytime I leave the house.

...soon

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

lazer_chicken posted:

Oh god, the memories. I had this happen, to a lesser degree. I slid out on a bike (pedal bike, not motorcycle) while wearing shorts and scraped the poo poo out of my knee. The wound was caked in asphalt and the nurse at the ER used what I can only describe as a scotchbright pad soaked in iodine to scrub it out. It was easily the most painful thing I've ever experienced.

hard nylon brush has been the best and most forgiving tool in my experience.
it's easy enough that you can do it by yourself and doesn't tear away too much flesh like the brass brushes or scrubby pads do.
(urgh scrubbing coral out of my knee with a grill brush was the worst)

That and a handfull of morton's and you're good to go till you find a suitable bandage and some ointment.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

InitialDave posted:

Does anyone else get a slight :gonk: feeling when they find a random wheelnut/bolt lying in the road?

I got that feeling when I ran over someone's air suspension bag this morning.

I have no idea how it was even conceivable that it came off in one piece like that.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

stizu posted:

I imagine if you went looking at a car stereo store or website, you might find less gaudy solutions.

I find this both ironic and highly unlikely.
I don't understand how hard it is to just produce a set of clean looking terminals.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Phanatic posted:

Moreso the latter. Silver and copper are both better electrical conductors than gold, but they're both more reactive. A thin layer of plating isn't going to result in significantly better conductance, especially if we're talking about DC; high-frequency AC likes to stick close to the surface of the conductor, but DC doesn't care about that.

Which is why you commonly find Aluminum-alloy battery terminal blocks.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Aurune posted:

Oh it's never good to let the magic smoke escape.

Lucas makes a replacement smoke kit. It's alright, not the same as the oem though...

http://www3.telus.net/bc_triumph_registry/smoke.htm

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

some texas redneck posted:

http://i.imgur.com/JnzLMl.jpg

:what:
...:byodood: wait WHAT??

that hurts my ears by just looking at it.
I know it's completely irrelevant but it looks like the sleeve and the cam are unscathed. Was this the case?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

RoboCriminal posted:

Jesus, some engines "grenade," other engines "500lb bomb." That's seriously impressive.

Unrelated for the guy who asked about deer whistles:

Coming from a place where deer strikes were pretty common (the woods in CT), the whistles do absolutely nothing. Best explanation I have heard is that in terms of animal psychology the deer has absolutely no reason to fear the whistle, so it doesn't. Only case where that would be different is if that deer had been previously hit by a car with a deer whistle and survived.

Weirdly enough I used to drive this really backwoods route to work every day and was always worried about hitting a deer as I saw them back there all the time. The day finally came and one literally lept out from the side of the road as I was passing, crossed the front of my car from right to left and my front left bumper hit its back end at like 40mph.

Fucker did a 180 in the air, landed on its feet again, and as I slammed on the brakes I saw it just standing there in the middle of the road behind me just looking at me like "wtf rear end in a top hat" then ran into the woods. Zero damage, got lucky as gently caress the deer wasn't a little slower or I wasn't going a little faster or it would have been through the windshield.

The whistle is supposed to mimic a Doe's "HOLY poo poo DANGER EVERYONE GET THE gently caress OUTTA HERE" huff.

That being said, it doesn't.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

The Scientist posted:

Yeah that's where I used to live. They paved from the end of the shoulder to about 3 feet into the left lane, and about the same but reverse on the right side. I was at the end of a long road trip there just the other day. Everyone was driving with two wheels 3 inches higher on nice, smooth pavement, and the other 2 down on some scuffed up road foundation. I was out of gently caress to give so I just cruised, offset from everybody else, on some nice rear end pavement along the shoulder. There were no lines anyway, so who cares?

It still pisses me off that their are cones along the entire length of 95 in Brevard but only a insignificant, minute part ever has "men working" at any given time (if at all); but its all still "construction zone - speeding fines doubled"

95 sucks in pretty much any state it runs through.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Ola posted:

A typical spring purchase is a motorcycle.

did someone say motorcycles?

I'm not sure if this is a mechanical failure or :suicide:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwi_5YBaCFc

imo the bike should have fought back like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2GLrZSTsI8&NR=1

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 15, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

dietcokefiend posted:

Some cars the brake rotor houses the wheel bearing too.

yea this one is off of a 2wd ranger. the hub is built into the rotor... sort of.

and yes, that is a brake pad lodged in between the disc vents.
No, it is not mine... but it easily could be.

I think I'll be changing my rotors and pads tonight for peace of mind.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

This is the best thing.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

nitrogen posted:

Severely stripped PTO/water pump driving gears. It was running for quite a while with no gear oil at all.

I recommend the shop I do above because they replace these gears on all of their rebuilds and have the best warranty I know about. I'll use 'em when I have to have mine rebuilt.

Usually you have a very noticeable waterpump/supercharger rattle when it gets this bad.

Here's an even better picture of what happens if you don't get the supercharger death rattle taken care of:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Devyl posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Let's Get Geeky About Batteries.

(not mine)

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.jpg right there.

how'd he/she manage that?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Ballcock posted:

I dunno, some batteries seem quite tough...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExS43bv462M

This was the first youtube channel I ever subscribed to. I love this guy.

Watch the video where he puts a brick in a dryer.
Then find the one where someone gave it eyes and a soul.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Berserkerduck posted:

Wouldn't it be easier to find a D16Y8 engine? Should fit without too much trouble, and 120+ Hp would be fun in that car. There's also the MC engine options, but the lack of reverse gear would probably be a challenge.

You probably already have this, but anyway: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B-Rk2-5wop_INGQ3ODc3YzItZDgxZC00MDRlLWE0NTQtNmFlN2VmYjcyY2Ix&hl=en_US

FREE BLASTER OF JUSTICE!!!

Exploding Alpha flywheel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wazZTont8v8

I don't know what it is but the more I watch it, the harder I laugh.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

edit:
Mercedes-Benz SLS GT3 - KRK Racing
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brecht-decancq/6130935098/in/photostream

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 13, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Just found this gem on reddit:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Godholio posted:

That doesn't seem to be terribly rare, based on how many examples have shown up in this thread. That's insane.

Exactly.

And it scares me.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

A student posted:

I'm not sure what the problem in that pic is Gnarly.

he didn't properly lubricate the brakes.

I poo poo you not my friend lubed his brakes to get rid of 'that squeaking noise'

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

revmoo posted:

I'd take it to Napa and ask them to machine it just to get their reaction.

I wonder if you can still get the core charge?

Maybe even prorated since there's only half a rotor left?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Ola posted:

You are missing which end of the break broke brake pad it gets applied to.

yes. my friend took a can of wd40 to his pads.

Thank god he sold it after that.

Unfortunately he bought an 82 Bronco for $400. That thing is a loving mess.
We went to change the alternator last night and found out that nearly everything under the hood is just wired directly to the (10ga) alternator wire. Except the carb vent solenoid which was wired to the alternator's stator connection.

Oh yea and the regulator might be the wrong one and that wiring harness doesn't match any of the diagrams we've found. Not one bit; color, location, connections, nothing.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

DELETED posted:

Protip: Brake cleaner destroys nitrile gloves. The typical blue gloves shrivel up and look like they have goosebumps before falling apart.

chlorinated brake cleaner? I've never had a problem with my purple nitrile gloves, even fishing around in containers of mek and acetone. non-chlorinated brake cleaner can't even touch them.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

DELETED posted:

Yeah, maybe the purple ones are different or higher quality but the blue ones can't handle good old non-chlorinated Brakleen and similar brake cleaners. I did get some Gunk brake cleaner once. That stuff sucks, it doesn't smell like brake cleaner should and seems to only mildly inconvenience wasps.

I will say that ATF is a drat good cleaner for metal parts though.

engine flush = ATF and acetone. poo poo is BEAUTIFUL

mungtor posted:

I worked in a machine shop many years ago where there was a covered drum of 50% ATF and 50% acetone (I think). The head machinist used to call it "The Dip" right after "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" came out, and it had the same effect on various crap as the movie dip did on 'toons. Wasn't great for skin either.
Turpentine, Acetone, Benzine.

...ToonTown will be erased in a matter of minutes.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 21, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Ford Explorer bottle jacks are actually pretty good and quite small. I'd use one of those over a scissor jack. They are also a hot item and junk yards, so good luck finding one.

Harbor freight has some pretty baller ones for cheap. Wouldn't trust my life with them but they're actually a lot better than the one that came in my ranger.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

jeff8472 posted:

Just hope you never have to use the Volkswagen "widowmaker" emergency jack

no thank you. I can't even look at this picture without cringing.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

OneStopShop posted:

http://youtu.be/RLB8dmVIlGE

Scary as hell. It would be bad enough to have that happen on the street, but at 190 km/h?

break_rotor.flv

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Rujo King posted:

Jesus Christ.

Yea this was pretty much the most ridiculous thing. I'm still in shock that they're "repairing" it. It's pretty hosed. (NOVA goon here)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

flacoman954 posted:

Smell the fouled plug ...

I might have to steal this for my new custom title.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

CaptBubba posted:

Truing involves adjustment to the spoke tension at the hub, followed soon afterwards by the last spoke you attempt to tighten snapping off just as you think you're done.
loving 30+ year old motorcycles :argh:

The nice thing about metal spokes is you can actually tune them by ear like you would a guitar. Tap spoke wrench against the spoke and try to match the tones all the way around. THEN you get out the runout gauge.
I've attempted to true rims using just the runout gauge and it takes at least twice as long and never comes out quite right.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Wibbleman posted:

Heres something that just happened.

Helicopter crashes on a live camera feed.

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/raw-video-helicopter-crashes-in-viaduct-4561143

It was lucky there was a newscrew recording it, no one was injured thankfully.

HOLY poo poo.
why is there a loose cable just flopping around near the rotors?
why is the pilot not wearing a harness or helmet?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

JD Brickmeister posted:

Of all the possible parts, the steering wheel was the one he decided to save? Was it the airbag?

I think he means his dad drove while he pushed.

Skyssx posted:

oil pressure needle was bouncing between 0 and normal at a stop on a slight incline. Knowing his Ranger had a 7 PSI switch, I knew he either had no oil, or the switch was on the fritz.

FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKK MY RANGER DOES THIS! (but only when it's cold and there is certainly plenty of oil in her)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Motronic posted:

If it were a pressure problem it would me much more likely to happen when it is hot. Fortunately for you that sounds like an electrical issue with the gauge, sender, or wiring.

Getting a manual pressure tester on there is probably in order, just in case it actually is a pressure issue.

I mean only when it's below 35ºF outside. I'm sure it's an electrical issue.

This post :feelsgood:. How's that hellaflush working out for you?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Rujo King posted:

:stare:

I'm not sure what would have caused the front tire to fail, but based on the rear one I'd imagine the underlying cause had something to do with being stretched over a rim that was two inches too large. That's some Spanish Inquisition-style torture right there.

I'm accounting for the stupid tires. The stretch and poke is what makes it HELLAflush.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

InitialDave posted:

It'll get even better when they learn that propane is a better refrigerant.

I can't wait for this to become a thing. Someone alert the Darwin Awards.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Sponge! posted:

Mercedes has done it for a long time. Propane, Propene, Propylene, Butane, and Isobutane make great refrigerants. Not particularly dangerous, considering there's a tank of several gallons of hydrocarbons behind the driver already... What harm in a few more ounces up front?

I mean in the tires.

Please don't tell me that's actually a thing...

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I'm actually surprised this many AI posters actually even have A/C.
I think my Ranger does, but I NEVER use it. Not in the 8 years I've had the thing.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Writing off everyone who lives in the southwest? It regularly hits 140 in the cabin and surface temps of things like the dash and seat belt buckle can hit 165+.

It does that here in VA too...
I was actually hoping for more of a 'BECAUSE RACECAR' response.

Now, It gets hot as gently caress in VA during the summer. But I'd rather sweat than lose 10hp and 5+mpg by turning on the A/C. Besides, I love having the windows open.
I DO use my defroster but I'm pretty sure the windshield and floor functions don't use my compressor at all. 2000 2.5L ranger. please correct me if I'm wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

BlackMK4 posted:

Welcome to riding a motorcycle daily. :D
I knew there was a reason I took to 2 wheels so easily.

Impending mechanical disaster:
http://www.rs25.com/forums/f4/t168009-my-friends-soon-mega-fail-sti-rebuild.html

quote:

Leave in piles uncovered or oil passages unplugged.
Keep everything inside........... NOOOOOOOO OUTSIDE IN RAIN!!!!
Here is the soon to be death block.
Yes the head were rained in
Yes the block was rained in
No assembly grease was used in this production.

But don't worry he cleaned the block out super well......

quote:

yes .... you can't make this stuff up. he flipped the block took the oil pan off and filled the crank case with mineral spirits to get all the "gunk out"
so now the main bearings and rod bearings are 100% dry and sitting outside in the elements. last i saw it there was surface rust starting on the crank counter weights.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 6, 2011