Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

jdfording posted:

This is the right landing gear of a Citation Jet CJ2. The aircraft blew a tire on takeoff and was lucky it was on a 10,000ft runway so they aborted and stopped before the aircraft went air born. Closed our runway for about 5 hours. We had to use air bags and a dolly to get it off without doing further damage. The brake was embedded into the runway. Aircraft is currently on full jacks in a hanger awaiting parts and bags of money. Just to fix the sheet metal damage the tire did to the flap will probably take over 100 hours. The wheel and tire alone costs about $10,000. They will need to replace the strut as well and all the sheered brake lines.

We had an A-10 do this at Davis-Monthan around 2007, except it was on landing. I wish I had photos because it was the craziest thing I'd ever seen. The radial wire from the tires was sticking out from the wheel pod and wing like hair and the jet had slid down the runway far enough that the break assembly was totally torn away and the hub where the axle went through was ground flat. It looked like someone had cut it in half with a saw.

Crew chiefs were driving around with the strut in the back of their little flightline pickup showing it off.

-Zydeco- fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jul 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

This should qualify on the grounds that failure is inevitable.

kastein posted:

Holy hell I want to know what this idiot was smoking.
http://www.nc4x4.com/forum/index.php?threads/finally-my-xj-to-keep-for-good-innovative.145236/

At least he only turned a cherokee into a worthless pile of scrap, it isn't like there aren't more of those around.

:stonk:

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

kastein posted:

For those not familiar with Cherokee suspension, that is where this moron has taken two stock lower control arms (which locate the front axle under the vehicle and handle braking forces on pavement and braking+acceleration forces with 4x4 engaged) and chopped them both in half, then half assedly stuck one over the other and booger welded along the seam to make a longer control arm to handle the suspension lift.

Cherokee lower control arms are something like 10ga pressed sheetmetal from the factory. And he's relying on one spattery line of boogers to keep them from folding up when he hits the brakes :stonk:

That is far from being the worst transgression, too.

Don't forget his winning personality.

Moron posted:

ok, I guess i'll close the stupid thread. You guys are loving LOOSERS!! always wanting to bash people with their stuff. its my jeep, my build, i'm happy with it, like the looks and gently caress OFF if you don't.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Terrible Robot posted:

Can some kind person upload his pictures and post them? I can't see any of them, on the computer or phone. The picture posted has so much wrong it took a minute to notice the control arms, and now I really want to see the rest of this abomination.

Also I loving love it when kastein tears awful hack jobs apart.

These are the only other ones I could get off there.

Apparently that tubing is from a trampoline frame.

The thread is a good read and there's more stuff just no more pictures.

-Zydeco- fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 23, 2013

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

Couldn't find this thread before for some reason, so crosspostin' a sight I had at work from the terrible images thread. Fits better in here, anyway.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Cakefool posted:

Any goons here that work in aircraft maintenance? I attended a little talk at work a couple of weeks ago that talked about how the designers took "maintenance" and "what is humanly possible" and no part exists in isolation" into account when designing systems, fastenings, plumbing, routing etc. It was all very interesting & they showed some cad walkthroughs of an engine mounted on a wing, maintenance doors opening, human arm and recommended tool comes into view, bolts & brackets get removed, parts come out & in again.

Basically is that how it is in real life?

I worked avionics on A-10s and I could see how stuff was easy to get to when it was built. In the 70s. Now after so many modifications and additions it's a horrible multi-layered mess in some places. Still wasn't as bad as an F-16.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Crossposting from the terrible car stuff thread.

jaegerx posted:

The ghost is coming from inside the car

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f14_1393634596

How does that even happen.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Was working on some local biogas power projects today here at the local landfill which has this old site that has been capped

Very brief description is bacteria digest nitrogen and phosphorus and crap methane in the absence of oxygen This is fine and normal, but methane is a nasty green house gas and normally you try and keep landfills from doing this, but with the right gear you can trap the methane and use it to run one of these guys

You use that to generate electricity and sell it to the local power company while also charging the local landfill to take care of their nasty methane issues and you make a nice bit of money every month (until natural gas prices crater and undercut you :argh:).

This is all fine and good and very green, but if the guy who buys and sets op the system has never tuned an engine before, much less to run on methane, unfortunate things happen.

This was presented to me along with the comment "apparently it was running too rich".
That lump top dead center on the edge is apparently one of the valves.

We're trying to get another project capping a local universities cattle and swine manure lagoons to run a small block V8 off the ground. This would be in concert with undergraduate engineering design students, so looking forwards to some really dumb failures next year.

-Zydeco- fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 7, 2015

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

totalnewbie posted:

Out of curiosity, what spark plugs do you use for those engines?

totalnewbie posted:

They don't have to be, but that's a good point; they probably are diesel.

That is indeed a diesel. I don't know what particular model, but it's a Waukesha I6 if that helps.

-Zydeco- fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 7, 2015

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

What the hell is going on here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSN6gSlNdRE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

This empty quote button sure is annoying.

-Zydeco- fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 23, 2016