Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
Kinda debated posting this here with the "hurr apex seals hurr", but drat, this is some messed up dammage

http://www.rx7club.com/album.php?albumid=4114&pictureid=32801

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
eh. I'm a blind idiot. Ignore this

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

remote oil filter

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

EightBit posted:

Imagining the noise that must have made makes my teeth hurt. :psyduck:

theres been worse posted in this thread

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

at least it wasn't lifted like 80% of the trucks around here. They'd probably run right over my corolla.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I have constant diarrhea in my radiator too.

me too :(

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

The Scientist posted:

So like a square inside of a .... pentagon?

more like a + inside of a 5 pointed plus

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

My brother decided the timing belt on his car wasn't maintenance. It went for 100,000 miles until the water pump seized and snapped the belt in half, taking 6 intake valves and the head along with it.

When I tore the thing down the idler pulleys and tensioner were so trashed that they were loud just spinning it with my hand. When I asked him about it he said "oh yeah, it was getting a bit noisy so I just turned my radio up."

:stonk:

You bought him a bus pass, right?

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

I made him take the head bolts off. 18ft/lbs at 90-90-90.

I made him use the 3/8ths breaker and no cheater pipe. Needless to say it was really funny watching him try and get those fuckers off.

18ft/lbs? I'm hoping that's some kind of typo, or your friend is sick with some kind of muscle degeneration because that's not a lot of force

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Sponge! posted:

I read it as "Torque to 18 foot pounds in the correct pattern, then begin the pattern again turning each bolt 90 degrees further, then again, then again." for Torque-To-Yield style bolts. Its 270 degrees beyond spark plug tight. They would be reasonably tight at that point.

Ah, makes a bit more sense then

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Lord Gaga posted:

Some way some how you will convince yourself what a great idea it is to buy that car.

needs to be cleansed with a gas fire first

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

I've had good luck clamping vice grips onto the head and unscrewing it

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Crustashio posted:

I did that once with a stuck distributor cap bolt, only to twist the head clean off. "No problem" I thought, since I could then remove the part. I then twisted off the remainder of the bolt, leaving it flush with the timing cover. Distributor cap is now held on with 2 bolts on that car...

meh, then an eazy out or any other method would probably have had the same results. At that point, you are left with EDM or drill and retap. I'll admit, the vice grips don't work every time, but certainly more than anything else I've tried.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Godholio posted:

For the record: I don't drive with my fogs on. However, what's the problem with them? They're generally low to the ground and not especially bright. Unless we're talking about Daylighters or something.

Edit: I definitely get the rear fog light hate.

Fog lights are typically as bright as your low beams, just aimed down so that they don't seem all that bright.

other than the rear fogs being an issue, front fogs reduce your ability to see distant things by lighting the gently caress out of the road right in front of your bumper. Also, some people mistake their fogs for their normal lights and end up driving at night with only their fogs on.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Why would you ever want only half the water jacket filled with cement? You're blocking all the coolant passages either way, why not fill it up and get more rigidity?

I'd guess weight.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

sofullofhate posted:

I think this wins the "rotors worn into the vanes" subthread.

"Yeah, the brakes sounded pretty terrible for about 25k miles but they got real quiet and smooth a little while back so I forgot about them."

I'm surprised the pads didn't get ejected and the piston is all chewed up.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Bang Me Please posted:

No. Some newer Hyundais have no spare tire nor do they have runflats.

Probably comes with fix-a-flat then

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I had no idea that spares were optional on so many cars now. That just seems like a horrid idea.

Manufacturers are trying to cut weight to boost MPG while cutting costs. Omitting the spare is an easy way to do both. However, I agree. Its a lovely thing to do.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

The legit thing to do is to force them (by lawsuit if necessary) to do a recall of the rest of the heat-treated versions to protect everyone else who bought one.

Why they wouldn't do that voluntarily after paying out for his bills is beyond me, they've already got an admission of guilt on the table then and that's chum in the water for American lawyers.

Easy, some accountant figured out the cost of a recall ($X) vs the cost of paying out for the expected number of failures ($Y), and figured out that the recall would be more expensive ($X > $Y).

It happens all the time.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

It would run forever on literally any grade of gasoline, but people would find the distinct shape of the seat divisive.

Also it wouldn't have a key, you just turn the handle and it goes

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

BoostCreep posted:

I assume you tried screwing bolts into those two smaller holes and that didn't work?

The smaller holes are not threaded. They are used to hold the rotor to the hub in the factory. What am I missing here?

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

kastein posted:

Not sure whether this belongs in horrible failures or awesome AI poo poo.

A friend of mine broke all of these dana 44 parts (and a few 60 parts) in his jeep over the course of 2 years. Was going to scrap them, and then decided to do a little welding instead.

I'm voting for wrong thread here...

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

its in the terrible car stuff thread. The going theory is that the guy didn't have any washers around, but must have had a bunch of keys (was a locksmith?)

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Friar Zucchini posted:

What is that, a diff? That doesn't look goo:stare:jesusfuckingchrist

Can't even imagine the noise that made.

Diffs don't have pressure plates, transmissions do

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Hey, at least GM gets it right when they don't run coolant in the intake itself; they've run a plastic intake on the LSx since 1997.

Interesting comparison point, the regular Mazda MZR gets a plastic intake in the 3, but the turbo in the Mazdaspeed version gets an aluminum intake.

Plastic intakes prevent the icing problem?

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

They heat the throttle body, not the manifold. There is a coolant pipe running from one head to the other under the intake manifold, but it's metal and not actually part of the manifold.

Oh duh. Reading comprehension fail on my part

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

MrYenko posted:

Not to mention that the incredibly valuable aircraft full of people and explosives that snapped it is now most likely too slow to go around, and is now pointed at the water.

I haven't seen the video, but they are supposed to basically "punch it" once they think they've caught the cable in-case they missed or it snaps so that they can take off right away and try again according to a science teacher I once had that used to work on aircraft carriers.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

You wanted the door unlocked, right?

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

I don't see a 2x4 and a bunch of keys attached to it so its probably good for a few years yet

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

I did it again. :tinfoil:

I choose to believe you could have gotten it out with your finger, but rigged up the ez-out as an elaborate hoax to troll AI

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Non-horrible mechanical success:

:smug:

ZALGO LIVES!

Again?! Who did you sell your soul to?

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Ok who did it? Who bought it?

Oh, man that was brilliant. I was laughing hysterically to tears. Whoever did it had a perfect idea

I will be purchasing one of the wrenches, it looks drat handy and would likely work better in tight spots than my current 2 ft long Irwin

Brigdh fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 26, 2013

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

ewiley posted:

Not too horrible..

Guess the adhesive didn't have enough contact patch, never seen a mirror tear the glass off the window :(

I haven't seen an OEM one tear off like that, but the parts store ones seem to do that after a month

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

The RX-7, if I recall correctly, is a special case because it has lug bolts rather than lug nuts, and I think they're made of aluminum* so if one of them it torqued incorrectly, everything will work itself loose*.

*Or so I am lead to believe

Most first gen RX-7s had lug bolts, but as far as I know there were not aluminum. I've also never heard of any special torquing procedure or issues, other than sometimes putting the wheels on were a PITA. Most first gen owners seem to convert to lug nuts, which is fairly easy.

The first gen GSL-SE, second gens, and 3rd gens are lug nuts.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

thebigcow posted:

Can anyone recommend a jack stand pinch weld adapter?

xp67 posted:

It's a hockey puck with a slot cut in it.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

`Nemesis posted:

I always rent from Penske... the equipment has always been in good shape and with my AAA discount they're not a whole lot more expensive than the uhaul garbage.

I must have had odd experiences.

Rented Penske once to move cross country. Windshield was cracked and we were told by the rental place that we had to take it as is because it was the only truck available (unless we wanted to downsize to one half the length). A complaint to corporate got it replaced in my sister's driveway while we were packing. Half way along the way, the truck threw a CEL. After waiting for 2.5 hours on the side of the highway for the service guy, it turns out the coolant was low. The limiter was set to 70, which was really 65 according to timing mile markers. Speed limit most of the way was 75.

I rented a Uhual pickup truck and car trailer to pick up a car that wasn't running right the next town over, and everything was brand new. Helped two of my friends move across town in Uhual trucks, and they seemed to be in better shape than the Penske truck.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

13 INCH DICK posted:

How many pages abck was the glowing AC clutch? On my phone and it's arguing with me about loading all images per page.

5 pages back
Direct link: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3222431&pagenumber=371&perpage=40#post426110420

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

And yet, there are de-icing agents that are non-toxic and don't destroy chassis.

Beet juice and cheese brine? Often used to augment rock salt, not as a replacement. Surprisingly enough its easier to get a ton of rock salt, than a ton of the alternative.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

Or you know, studs and driving for the conditions.

Granted if studs were legalized in most of the lower 48 states our roads would get torn to poo poo, but anywhere they get a persistent snow layer they are amazing. Plows only need to smooth out fresh powder and it's good to go.. no chemicals needed.

Studs are legal here in CO. I've seen quite a few folks run them year round (Denver area, so not the mountains. We haven't seen snow in at-least a month). Most of our roads that haven't been resurfaced on the past few years are absolute poo poo, and apparently our DOT doesn't have any money to fix em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Maxwells Demon posted:

In parts of the West Coast with snow they will often use ground-up cinder. Acts as a de-icer without changing the water chemistry and doesn't cause rust.

Could you specify how it acts as a de-icer? A quick search on google seems to indicate it is just an abrasive for traction - ie replaces sand.