Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Being able to fix your own stuff is a huge economic advantage. I think seized brake calipers alone would have bankrupted me on all the old shitboxes I owned when I lived in the NE, if I were paying shop rates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, I got home from deployment one time, made it home, couldn't get in 'cause the landlord changed the locks, decided to go to Starbucks and wait for him to get up and answer my texts. Blew a 2" rusty scab off the brakeline between the master and rear splitter. Drove to the shop with the e-brake, $200 for a new hand-bent and flared line, something I had neither the tools nor time to do, they had it done in like 2 hours.

When I got the keys back they quoted me $1,200 bucks to replace the rear brakes, which were worn. No thanks guys, I can get 30 minutes and a six pack at some point.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

Fortunately, the donors are all automatics. On the other hand, they all magically have "60k miles" on them. :lmao:

But yeah, all in all, not a big deal. I do agree its funny to money shift in 2023.... one of those BACK IN MY DAY things for sure

Haven't you moneyshifted a few K24s by now, or am I thinking of someone else?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The fastest race cars use completely bald tires, therefore traction and grip improve as my tires get balder.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Can't park there mate.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

BobHoward posted:

Tin whiskers are the wildest thing. Like what the gently caress, tin, why you do that??? Sensible metals aren't supposed to just spontaneously grow micron-diameter whiskers!

(as i understand it we don't even understand the reasons why tin whiskers grow, either)

They cause so much annoyance in industries where super high reliability is a necessity. Conformal coating is one of the ways they'll try to reduce tin whisker shorts, and if you ever have to rework or probe a conformal coated PCB assembly for any reason, it's a goddamned pain in the rear end.

I recently learned that they're a huge problem in spacefairing electronics, tin (and other metals, particularly zinc) sublimate in vacuum, which increases the whiskering quite a bit.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

sleepy.eyes posted:

Jesus, I've never looked at one of those close enough to see how tiny the rear window is.

It doesn't matter, since the tonneau cover normally blocks it completely.

That tonneau cover being deployed will also be absolutely necessary to get the stated range.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

No. 6 posted:

Two Finger salute

Because your thumbs are broken and it's too difficult to scroll past 3 or 4 posts?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Ulf posted:

I wouldn’t mind seeing one clad in cor-ten.

That would actually look really cool.

Until it gets road salt on it and dissolves into a pile of rust flakes.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

weg posted:

When are we gonna see the first cybertruck that's purposely corroded into a hipster patina?

Probably real soon, sooner if one of my neighbors gets one and parks it where I can get to it with a spray bottle of vinegar.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Fuckin go all out, make it out of Inconel 718 or Haynes 230, or Titanium alloy, that'll keep it from corroding.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Gonna fill my Cyrbtr<k with RFNA to season it.

RFNA could be used to passivate stainless steel, as long as you limit exposure time, however, citric and regular nitric acids are more effective and significantly less hazardous.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The kids are calling it "eyeballing"

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Jonny Nox posted:

I don't know if the Buick version is better or worse:

Lol GM parts bin, my Bolt has the exact same entire center console, except the "m" button is replaced with the toggle for one-pedal driving.

It's really intuitive and easy to use once you get used to it though, you can tell which button is which by feel, easier and better than a traditional column shifter for e.g. quick 3+-point turns.

I'm a little more partial to the Nissan Leaf's weirdo little... thing though, still really easy to use without looking, but more esthetically pleasing, imo. Down for drive, up for reverse, straight and hold awkwardly for a long time for neutral, push the top for P.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

SlowBloke posted:

My 2023 Avenger BEV has an open recall for missing omologation stickers on the drivetrain battery, so the tradition still holds strong.

My Leaf got recalled for the defroster glitching out and not doing anything if it's really really cold and you set it to max, the solution? Jam this loose "supplemental" page into your owners manual telling you not to do that.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

`Nemesis posted:

do trains actually use dpf's/urea injection?

That looks like a ~1MW-ish diesel genset shoves in a container.

I don't think either use DPF though, but I haven't used like a brand new one.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

LifeSunDeath posted:

not a fail but check out this awesome Strong Zero shifter lol

it'll get u lit

That poo poo tastes like soda pop and a 6 pack will knock a seasoned alcoholic on their rear end.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

You can just turn the auto feature off if you don't like them.

I never used my highbeams much, but on my Bolt the lowbeams are incredibly bright, with a laser-sharp cutoff set about 50' from the car, which is the worst possible thing for driving on dark highways at night, so the auto highbeams are actually really useful, I turn them off when I'm in urban areas at night, especially if it's rainy, because they're not the best at sensing taillights, but it's just a button on the same stalk so it's not inconvenient or anything.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The Door Frame posted:

Whoever at GM decided that reverse lights should stay on for a minute after the car is turned off should be taken out back behind the shed. I understand that the extra illumination is nice if you're somewhere with bad lighting, but that should be an optional setting or just an extra set of lights that don't indicate a car is going to move backwards

GM just REALLY loves poo poo turning off well after the car, my mom's early Equinox had the radio stay on until the door was opened, something they still do.

wolrah posted:

My car does not have DRLs but I've still had plenty of "why aren't my headlights on? why the gently caress is this knob in off!?!?!" after taking my car in to a shop for something. They tend to switch the lights hard off so they're not staying auto on in the bay, then never switch them back to auto. I wish the "Off" position were a momentary selection, there are situations where I want to turn my lights off but they are not the norm.

My '22 Chevy does that, the off position on the headlight switch is momentary, and only lasts until the vehicle is power cycled again. I'd honestly prefer manual lights, just because I turn the headlights on every time I drive. With DRLs and auto-headlights I've gotten lazy, fortunately my car's lights are pretty sensitive, and will turn on during super overcast or very rainy days.

I think the wipers and headlights should be connected, if the wipers are on, the headlights are on.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

hellotoothpaste posted:

I turn my car on/off now like I am plugging in USB-A when I park because of this poo poo

I open and shut my door, so when it's time to actually get out it plays a big whoosh noise and the screen lights up with the bow tie and stuff.

That "greeting" when you open the door fucks with me, because my fiancé's car does the same thing, but you just step on the brake and shift into drive, my car you have to push the on button. So sometimes after driving her car on a trip or w/e, I'll get into mine and sit there flicking the little gear selector nub like a moron.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Colostomy Bag posted:

Last thing I'm going to trust is airbags/circuits/logic/sensors on a vehicle. The entire industry is a clusterfuck.

Seatbelts are the go to.

What does this mean?

You wouldn't wear a seat belt if airbags were more reliable?

You rip them out of every car you buy???

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

builds character posted:

Those are failure points. It’s engineering.

They're mechanical fuses!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

kastein posted:

I warned her going in that I knew those motors were high strung about oil pressure and it might not be a runner. She said it has an oil level sensor and shut off automatically so should be no damage.

Most engines will shut off automatically shortly after dumping their oil pan, level sensor or not.

:haw: