Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

We used to have a push mower older than I was and aside from topping up the oil when it ran out and one spark plug that I know of that fucker lasted almost 27 years.

My dad had a Masport mower like that. Was used it for 26 years and pasted down from my granddad. The wheels had no black plastic on them, so they effectivly were just off white rims. It was eventually retired after someone hit a buried 6 inch concrete fence post and bent the crank by about 10 degrees so the blade cut on an angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

Bang Me Please posted:

you can't see the brake failure but the end result is impressive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIYFTDbW22s

Fuuuuuckk. Straight through all the concrete too. I guess if he lived it would have been because he was sitting so much higher then the barrier itself.

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

Slavvy posted:

I'm in new Zealand, we have an upper weight limit on our trucks that was only lifted recently. There are no such ramps in the north island, where I live, as far as I've seen. There may be some in the south island but I'm not aware of it. The overwhelming majority of very long straight sloped roads are motorways which are totally enclosed; there aren't many (or any) mountain roads I can think of that trucks actually use because most mountains are usually circumvented.

This is really interesting and I genuinely had no idea such things existed until reading this forum!

The other interesting thing to remember is that here in NZ the rules about weight and brake limits per axle are half the rest of the world. Which means that our standard milk tankers ie Fonterra are Rated and licensed to weigh no more then 48 tons, despite having 8 axles across the entire Unit. You can get heavier truck and these can be seen via those fluorescent 'H' on the front and back

So looking at that image 48/8 is 6 tons (6000kgs) per axle where as those axles are rated at 10/11 tonnes from the factory. Another reason for the massive overbraking on HGV in NZ is due to the lack of those emergency roads. Often with many roads lacking the space. The road that joat mon posted has definitely been installed as a result of campervans and tourists.

But this is not the trucking thread.

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

daslog posted:

Here is that picture. Can't really tell how bad the throw-out bearing is.

I feel like the huge gap on the left side of the bearing and the general off center-ness of the outer helps with determining how worn the bearing is.

The answer is Very.

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

tater_salad posted:

Um is there any background on this?

I saw it on imgur but its from r/Justrolledintotheshop/

Anphear fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Sep 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

Plankalkuel posted:

They are not the most collectible cars, since they lack the flair of the DS/SM/CX and their brand is not exactly held in high regard (at least here in Germany). As far, as I can tell, the common XM driver still uses the car as a daily or even workhorse (the break version has a huge trunk). The lucky cars are maintained technologically, but even then usually not kept in showroom condition.

The hydraulics do not suffer prolonged neglect well. The hydraulic system covers not just suspension, but brakes and steering as well. Old hydraulic fluid will affect multiple systems, failure to replace the hydraulic spring elements (~60€ per wheel) will wear out suspension parts, and so on. Since these cars reach quite high mileage with maintenance and without the need to replace lots of hydraulic parts all the time, I'd wager that the reliability can't be that bad. In fact most people, I talked to who actually owned these cars did not recollect issues with the hydraulics. In the end, you still drive a 20 year old technological wonder-car and for that, it is really not so bad ;)

My Uncle in Auckland had an XM for about 12 years. Top spec model with the 3L Maserati tuned V6. He drove the poo poo out of it all over the North Island of NZ.

It died a sad death when he walked into the garage one morning and both front strut tower gave way breaking away from the rest of the chassis, smashed the bonnet and dented the sump too.

He replaced it with a Audi Q5. Which with the Turbo diesel and the DSG, hauls. Never have I merged to smoothly from Newmarket.

Anphear fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Apr 19, 2015