Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
RE: Dipshits leaving lug nuts loose

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHT84A5t418

"IT FELL THE gently caress OFF."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

sharkytm posted:

Why is this 4 runner misfiring?

That might explain it. The mighty Bosch Platinum +0/.

Don't run Bosch plugs in a 4Runner. At least with mine, it runs like dog poo poo with anything but OEM NGK/Denso twin-tip plugs. The 5VZ is really picky about plugs and wires, for some reason.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

The Midniter posted:

When I was around 13, I was walking from a video rental store that my dad dropped me off at to the CVS he was at across the street. An 18-wheeler took a right turn too sharply and squeezed one of the tires against the sharp curb, and the tire proceeded to explode. This was about 50 feet in front of me, and not only was it the loudest thing I'd ever heard in my entire life, but it propelled sand and dirt right into my eyes. I'm surprised I didn't have a heart attack that day.

I was working at a bulk storage terminal (where the tankers get gas) and when I was up by the road, a passing tanker blew out a tire. I hit the deck and expected to be blown to bits in the next nanosecond. When you hear an explosion and you are surrounded by 500k-1mil gallon gasoline tanks, your life does indeed flash before your eyes.

Apologies for the double post, I had some catching up to do with this thread.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
I love that test article. They beat that engine like a rented mule and it just begged for more, and it was down ~30 ci from what they thought they were working with. It pretty much puts the high-dollar, high-strung import engines to shame in every possible way.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

two forty posted:

You don't really have to disassemble a 240 quite as far as that picture shows, but it is labor intensive. Mr. Benstein has a nice write up at http://cleanflametrap.com/heater_core/ 240s are kind of like Legos, they can be really easily disassembled and reassembled. I never did a heater core but ended up disassembling the entire dash for various purposes over the years and it's honestly not as bad as it looks. And I didn't have one single dashboard squeak after reassembly in 6 years of driving them while learning the ropes of auto work. Your move, GM.

The URL cleanflametrap in itself is a 240 inside joke. We're weird like that (but still not nearly as weird as Saab people.)

I wish I had like ten 240s and all the time in the world to play with them like Art does.

My father-in-law bought an 850 wagon for $400 last week. It was belching oil smoke and leaking oil like crazy but was in excellent cosmetic shape. He cleaned and removed a plastic piece from the flame trap and replaced a cam seal and it runs like a dream. No more smoke or leaks.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Previa_fun posted:

I had to Google this to visualize it and hahaha holy poo poo

The 5VZ-FE that Toyota replaced that shitpile with is a markedly improved design. Power is still unimpressive by modern standards (183 hp, 217 lb-ft TQ), but that thing has run like a goddamn clock for 228k miles and gets just about 20 mpg no matter what.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

kastein posted:

The fact that the company did a recall that usually covers the frame really helps there, it is a costly repair otherwise. My aunt and uncle had one done, they ended up with free new brake lines gratis and had to pay for new shocks because they fell apart being removed. Then I did a new exhaust from the manifold flanges back, some new o2 sensors, they tossed new tires and brakes on it and it is basically good to go another 150k now. The cab and bed are rusting a bit, but that isn't really structural...

Those exhaust manifolds were designed by a moron, or someone who never heard of rust. Jesus.

Amusingly it has the same transmission under it (on an engine making 80-100hp more) as 87-01 cherokees with the 4.0 had. That was the weirdest feeling ever, looking up at the transmission and wondering why it looked so drat familiar :v:

(This thread is the last place those transmissions belong. I've sent two to the scrapyard broken, but it took incredible abuse to do so. I've been trying to kill the one in my beater DD for four years now, thought it was dead in November but it was just out of fluid, then took it out still shifting firmly and running perfectly last weekend despite my best efforts. They are absolutely bulletproof.)

Bulletproof until the trans cooler in the radiator bursts and lethally injects coolant into your transmission. Of course, that's not the transmission's fault. The Jeep equivalent of the A340 is the AX15, right? My A340e keeps ticking right along after 230k miles with almost zero maintenance.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

kastein posted:

Careful, the 3vz-fe is quite different from the 3vz-e, I don't know if the bellhousing pattern is the same. And the 3vz-e is an awful engine so please don't put it in anything but the scrapmetal dumpster next to the 305s :colbert:

The power of a 4-cylinder with the fuel economy of a V8 :v:

God, what a shitpile the 3vz-e is. Quite literally ZERO redeeming qualities. If it were at least reliable, you could forgive thirsty and underpowered, but that went out the window with the whole headgasket thing.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

iForge posted:

I was sent that pic with the wheel stuck in the guys face back in October, and the story went that he is a Union boilermaker working in a refinery and couldn't fit the grinder in where he needed to cut off a flange stud so he took the guard off.

The best option would have been to get a torch but at least at my local refinery, it takes an act of congress to be able to use a torch on anything still attached to process equipment. Back in October I spent a couple days hacksawing 1 1/2" studs about 3/4 through then using a chisel to break them because the line contained residual oil and h2s and they wouldn't issue a hot work for a grinder or torch.

I'm surprised you were even allowed to use a hacksaw without a hot work permit. I've done groundwater sampling at terminals and we had to use metal buckets with grounding straps (no plastic because of static, I guess), a special snowflake of a peristaltic pump that was intrinsically safe, and we had to cajole and beg to use an interface probe to gauge depth to groundwater in wells and a water quality probe to monitor temp, pH, ORP, conductivity, DO, and turbidity. I totally understand the reasoning behind the rules, but it doesn't mean they don't make my job a hell of a lot more difficult.

We did have to get a hot work permit to drill wells out in the tank field :v:. I can assure you that the pucker factor of using a drill rig to put an 8" diameter, 90' deep hole in the ground about 4' away from a 2,000,000 gallon tank of gasoline is quite high.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

the spyder posted:

Sadly my uncle is one of these fellows and I can only assume the years of drug abuse throughout his teens/early 30's will not help his life expectancy. I know several other painters and they are all as described. Never quite right in the head after all the years of exposure. It's a shame. When I paint my FD, I'm buying a supplied air respirator/hood and installing a fume vent above my paint mixing area.

Ehhh, I don't know if supplied air is necessary for paint work. A full-face with a few extra organic vapor/particulate filter cartridges on hand should provide an appropriate level of protection, as the VOCs from the paint are the main concern. Definitely get some Tyvek suits too.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

kastein posted:

I don't work as a mechanic, I sit at a desk and design PCBs/write firmware all day. I do this poo poo for fun (there's something wrong with me...) and therefore workmans comp doesn't really help much.

No joke this is exactly what happened to me, except I was (barely) able to keep from pulling back, and only needed steroid eye ointment (guess what loving sucks to put on your eye twice a day?) instead of an eyepatch.

Wear your goddamn eye protection, guys. It's been 5 years and optometrists still comment on the fact that they can still see a slight mark in my cornea from that little incident. My vision is fine (20/15 corrected) but that eye gets dry and uncomfortable sooner if I'm dehydrated or out in the wind.

A while back, but at Boy Scout summer camp about 20 years ago, I was playing soccer in a large campsite and clotheslined myself across my left eye on bailing twine some shitheel strung between two trees. My open eye slid about a foot along the rough-as-gently caress twine and all I could feel was searing pain in my left eye. Doc had to pull some pieces of thread out of my eye and I wore a patch for a week, but I still see fine out of that eye.

To this day, there is scar tissue connecting my eye to my eye socket on the far left side of my left eye. Every new eye doc has to say something about it.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

jamal posted:

A guy in the bike threads had a squirrel get caught in his front wheel, which sent him over the bars at high speed, causing a scratched up face and broken collar bone.

I've had to come to a complete stop on my bike for deer and turkey multiple times.

My ex-wife's dad maced an aggressive dog and it's front leg went into his front wheel. He went over the bars but he couldn't kick out of his pedals before he went tumbling. He ended up with a spiral fracture going up his left(?) femur. Now he carries a little .38 pistol instead of mace.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Slavvy posted:

Yes, really. Some of the more superficial stuff seems to make sense and isn't too stupid, but as soon as you want to do anything serious you have to bust out the special tools and take half the car apart.

Timing chains are well documented as being on the rear end end of the engine in both longditudinal and transverse engines.

They have a habit of just making things cover other things which in turn cover other things which in turn bolt through other things, and then making a bunch of poo poo not removable without special tools. Off the top of my head: The steering rack on an RS5 is a structural part of the subframe. The stereo on a TT can't be removed without special tools. Taking the ignition coils out of a VR6 technically requires a special tool. You have to take the bumper off a Golf to do the headlight bulbs. To take one of the kick panels off on the same car you need to take off the boot upper trim, lower trim, two side trims and pillar trims before you get to remove anything at the front of the car. Why? Because every panel overlaps the one behind it and this stretches in a chain all the way to the back of the car. This includes the rubber seals around the door frames, which are overlapped by the hood lining, leaving you the choice of either crinkling the hood lining to get them out or taking the entire hood lining off to remove a door rubber.

This is just poo poo that I'm able to think of right this instant and I'm notoriously forgetful and every car I see at work blurs together for me.

My brother's old MK3 Golf was an absolute oval office to do anything on the interior. It was a 2.slow, so engine stuff was easy enough, but holy fuckin poo poo that interior was maddening. To replace the stereo, half of the panels on the dash had to come apart because every piece overlaps the next, and you had to start and the door and work your way to the middle. It was a pretty nice first car, but he treated that poor thing like poo poo.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
I finally have a mechanical failure at work that I remembered to capture on camera!

I work on commercial laundry equipment for a living right now. Not glamorous by any means, but it's steady work. The guy I work for owns 9 laundromats, and several of them are starting to show their age. I went to one today to collect money and fix any machines that were down and found one of the 25 pound washers down. I saw that the breaker was tripped, so I flipped it back on, and cranked the timer around to start the machine. It then let out the most godawful roaring/grinding noise while turning and promptly tripped the breaker again. At this point, I knew the bearings in the motor were smoked and the motor needed to come out to get rebuilt. What I didn't know was that the bad bearings caused it to pull waaaay too much current and do this to the high speed spin contactor

:catstare:

That was almost certainly a fire at some point this week, and I'm glad the whole store didn't burn to the goddamn ground.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

cursedshitbox posted:

hah! I run 300v in the moto and toyota red for coolant. Yeah p much this. Motul also smells rather pleasant.

Zerex Asian Vehicle Formula works quite well and is also red/pink too. Only comes in 50/50 premix though.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

MadScientistWorking posted:

Is the issue with the Rotsun that whatever ancillary stuff besides the engine just not capable of handling the power?

The chevy 4.3 made power, but had massive lag and kept breaking the motor. The new ford 5.0 makes massive power, seems happy doing it, but now breaks everything downstream. Expecting a T5 to hold up to 550 hp and 600 ft-lbs of torque was a loving joke, so naturally it broke bad on the second drag pass. The Subaru diff with 3.90 gears will be next to go, if the axles don't act like fuses in the driveline. If they want to do it right, a TKO500/600 and a better rear end situation will fix it. But that won't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

This is what happens when the bearings fail on a blower for a landfill gas flare. The fins and blower housing have had an unfortunate meeting.