Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
About a year ago I had a car fire from the fan assembly of my neon freezing up. While in a normal car the fuse would trip and the car would overheat a Dodge doesn't work that way so this occurred.

The fan assembly actually fell out

Burned the coolant tank pretty well

Radiator needed to be replaced and was pretty crispy

Wish I had more and better pictures but its been over a year now since it happened. Amazing thing was my dad picked the car up and in a weekend had the drat thing fixed and running again. It idles high now till the engine warms up but he uses it to get back and forth to work now and hasn't had a problem with it at all otherwise. Neons don't loving die :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

At least we don't come into your state and drive 5 under the speed limit in the left lane like Ohio drivers do in Michigan.

No that's because when I drive through Michigan they look for any reason to pull you over if you have out of state plates like Ohio. I have been pulled over for 5 over when people were passing the cop at 70 (gently caress the UP goddamn so many people where pulled over on my ride through that hell) and I got pulled over for doing the speed limit on the interstate and that time they never even gave me a reason. Hell they said it was cause of our plates and that we weren't speeding!

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Geoj posted:

A good friend of mine in former law enforcement...in Ohio at least its common practice to not even bother until someone is going more than 10 over the limit. I routinely set my cruise control at +10 over the posted limit and can blow by LEOs doing traffic duty with impunity. Unless you do something else to provoke them (swerving, not staying in your lane, not using turn signals, etc.) you're not going to be pulled over for only doing <5 over the limit in 99% of cases.

Or at the end of the month when they suddenly start caring. Troopers might not care so much from what I heard about latetly in Ohio but the townships and cities sure do. at just about 5 over none of them care unless they think you're drunk but other then that they really don't. End of the month is always the best though. So many people get pulled over for just blazing.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
If that happens to me I'd just say gently caress it I'm not going in. That's an omen if I've ever seen one to how bad my day would be.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Collateral Damage posted:

And I'm guessing the whole thing is at least a six figure fuckup?

Probably 7 figures. Steel alone would be almost 5 figures depending on the grade to 6 figures. They probably will make a new one because you never know how bad something can be messed up even if they can fix the bent plates in the first place.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Our place has started doing the 5s crap about a year ago now. Busibody manager is a good way to put it. Giant easels that were used for about a month that no one bothers with now except to write notes to themselves, labeling that got beyond stupid in a month, and the guy not having any idea about a machine shop so trying to reduce cycle times with no idea on what he was doing. Some of the ideas are good such as identifing our main places that cause us to lose money because of idiocy and cleaning up the piles of junk that accumulate in our shop but most of its a waste of time and money for little gain. We honestly have probably lost money from this stupid thing.

They haven't got my area yet thank god. Night shift means they never see me and as of right now I'm the only one that is actually trained and knows our equipment enough to start the process. And until one guy quits it won't happen because he's an idiot. An idiot that puts machines together backwards and upside down.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
the loving chuck? jesus christ theres so many steps to get the drat thing off in the first place. Should make him put it back on with .00001 runout

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
If it was allowed and wouldn't violate ndas I'd take a pic of some of what we do, some of the poo poo is just plain weird. Lots of exotic material that they want plus or minus a few tenths on that the sinker manufactor laughed at us when we asked. New stuff from one is this super dense and light diamond composite that you can technically machine, but God help you trying to edm it on a sinker, the machine barely sees it.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
I'm sorry to say but most of those classes don't teach you poo poo. I'm taking courses because my boss wants me to and I already can teach them based on what I have been learning. At most in lab you learn how to make chips and maybe make a small design.

Also theory on chip velocity and how they fly when cut? Jesus Christ you need your money back.

UCS Hellmaker fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Dec 17, 2018

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Actually that is based on old design stuff where you would base stuff off one corner or edge and everything would then be machined to that spot, it's from when most stuff would get almost finished before heat treat then grinded to size after heat treat. It was easier to do it to one corner then to a central hole when that hole could drift. We have one customer that does stamping dies and punches and everything they do is based off the top right corner as 0,0. It's pretty prevelent in old tool and die shops still even with cad software and new tech to finish stuff hardened.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Who here hasn't been guilty of banging their head into the keyboard for a program or cad file. Hell I learned mastercam that way when the head of wire edm quit and we had no one trained. That was fun, learned how the whole drat thing worked through gently caress that didn't work effort. Taper and 4 axis was hell though.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

mekilljoydammit posted:

I suppose I should elaborate. It's not "everything referenced to one corner or one hole" It's... the first hole referenced to a corner, then the next hole referenced to that one, the third hole referenced to the second one, the fourth hole referenced to the third...

The response when I brought up that I was redoing the drawings so I could make prototype parts inhouse was "well, the Chinese factory doesn't complain" Well no but they also don't make parts in spec.

oh my god they do everything incremental? holy balls I've seen some bad loving prints but never one like that in actual production.

Also we have fixed some Chinese jobs for roll forming mills, concentrically was a prayer and runout was "what is runout". I think if I remember right usually we would tell the customer that its not worth it to attempt to make them usable because the chroming and time required equaled the same as making them brand new.

UCS Hellmaker fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 18, 2018

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Colostomy Bag posted:

No worries as long as you don't buy from Harbour Freight.

They do make good toolboxes and tool carts but yeah I have some well weird poo poo from there in the toolbox

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
It's that loving dimension the engineer wants everything based from, which is a second dimension that can only be done if this datum is right and that needs this datum to be right and in the end this feature here needs to be true to datums A B E and F by .001 but if datum B is off by .0005 then A and E are out gently caress you just do it

Don't work in medical production btw.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Rad-daddio posted:

Awesome!

My boss emigrated to the USA from Argentina. He'd been a machinist since he was 10 years old, and he said one of his apprentice duties was to show up to the shop early to light the fires to warm the place up in winter.

When he interviewed for his first job in the USA, he was handed a drawing and told to make the part. He did it, and it was dead on, but he'd made it backwards since metric prints don't use third angle projection. He still got the job at least.

I don't know if I;ve posted it here, but here's one of the parts we make. It's made out of a magnetic alloy (Hymu er something like that):

That looks like wire cut right?
We do something a bit similar with iconel, just make these triangles to act as rotor spacers on a gear.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
No a thou is a thousandth of an inch don't confuse me or I'll gently caress up this part. (Engineers would do this and confuse new guys so bad)

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Rad-daddio posted:

I wish it was. I finally talked the owner into sending it out to an EDM shop. Even then, it's still a 4 axis job.

The way I used to make it took 1 cnc mill op, and then two separate manual mills to do the under cut angle and the final parting off. I used a woodruff keycutter to undercut the part off of it's base. That also establishes it's final thickness. As best as I can tell, it's some kind of probe rest for an atomic force microscope. I'm just glad I don't have to make the drat things anymore.

You did this all on a mill? Jesus, yeah this is a simple 4 axis program you could do with a 1 cut to make the whole piece, it probably would be cheaper and less scrap hassle to do in a wire. At most I could do this in two ops in a wire with a half rear end setup, Likely you could make a whole run from one piece of material if you program and setup the job right in one of my machines. I'm happy you donlt make them on a mill anymore that sounds horrid

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
66k miles and the clutch went? God she must have always had it depressed

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

bolind posted:

(I know nothing about this. Found on imgur.)

so its a wooden beam, sitting on two ladders, which are sitting on blocks, which are sitting on PROPANE TANKS?? Jesus gently caress I thought my jerryrigging was insane

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Memento posted:

Yeah I have no memories of getting home after getting a vasectomy. I know I organised a mate of mine to come get me and take me home, and that I had a light dinner that evening and went to bed early, but in my mind there's lying down on the table, [SCENE MISSING], wake up next morning with sore nuts.

I got a general for that after hearing some other dudes discussing it on another forum, and one guy saying "yeah I got the local anesthetic, it wasn't that bad, but I could feel the dude tugging on the little tubes inside my balls". No thanks.

you dont just feel the pressure of them tugging on your balls. theres an unearthly feeling as they do the operation. Also you get to see smoke rise from your balls as they do it which is nuts in its own right

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
I think it be fine until you hit a bump then Jesus take the wheel as that tire goes all over. Turning would definitely be an experience though.

The noise alone must be insane, let alone the noise from the bearing which has to be shot.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Is that a frieghtliner flatbed that someone put two cut up truck beds on in a mindbogglying display

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

NoWake posted:

I was building a base for a backyard shed, and took my colorado to the quarry for a bed's worth of graded aggregate base. The operator happily obliged. Later on, after repeatedly tagging my bumper on the street at the incline of my driveway, I looked below and I found my leaf springs were shaped like lazy W's.

This was one reason I was happy that the place by us would just bring a truck and raise the bed to dump gravel when we got new gravel for the drive way. Absolutely terrified I'd gently caress my dad's truck bed up.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Holy poo poo the welds are some scary bunged up cheese, the suspension has multiple cracks and holes, the bumper is literally just a tacked on piece of tube stock.

You keep watching and more and more comes out that makes you go what the gently caress. Including bolts that have inches of washers on them for reasons I don't comprehend

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Knowing nothing about air suspension even k could look at that lift axle and go wtf is that

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Did he hit a bump or the suspension drop?

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Pulled the darts clutch the entire thing basically disintegrated

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Darchangel posted:

...isn't there supposed to be friction material on both sides?

edit:

yeah, I should.

Yes. If the new clutch is an indication.
I believe said material was present everywhere but the clutch.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
I think Aussie is pretty flat on most of the areas those truck conveys run, that and those have max speed of what 50? My understanding is that at a certain point you basically can only run in mining areas though.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
What in the gently caress

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Legit how does any gas station not call the cops when they see him take his loving wheel off and then that travesty.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Bp at some stations has the pumps switched, everywhere else it's green for diesel, seen a few bps where gasoline was green and black was diesel, all on the same pump. Almost hosed my wife's car up because of it before but caught it because the nozzle is bigger.

When I drove interfacility ambulance we had that every few months from new hires or tired people. Some of our squads were diesel, others were gas. Really easy to gently caress up after a long shift and from someone dead tired or brand new.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Seen Chevy ones fail, mainly it being that the drat gears strip because they cheap out and make them plastic.

Then again snow belt areas and people do gently caress with them hard and try to let the small motors move 100 pounds of snow.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Never have I ever just kept putting air in a tire once every 3 weeks because I was to lazy to fix whatever the rim leak was

Or had to replace the wheel bearing yearly likely due to said rim leak

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Or sold said car for basically a case of beer knowing that it needed a clutch and timing belt while also literally being 90% rust

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Doesn't the y have the back seats that will absolutely break your neck in a collision because of a bar there? Like the thing is only able to fit small children and anyone else is basically stuffed in and liable to die

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
visceral reaction in real time even knowing its a joke thing because goddamn

that torque one jesus

the guys face when the jackstand breaks is me irl

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
At that goddamn rate I'm surprised his vasculature isn't causing his legs to die, or they haven't looked at prosthetics because Jesus. Thats a seriously lovely roll of the dice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

wesleywillis posted:

THIS IS WHY FORD IS making GBS threads THEMSELVES AT THE TRUCK THAT IS SO MUCH SUPERIOR TO THE F150.

Ford doesn't give a gently caress though? Rivian is much more of a danger then Tesla to them electric wise.

Dodge might be a ared of Tesla, but dodge basically doesn't exist outside the Dodge ram at this point especially when the charger and Challenger lines get shut down this year.