Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Those things are probably there to route the air a certain way so as to maximize cooling. A bit like how a computer runs cooler if you keep the case closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

I hope BP is tallying up the ever-increasing costs of containing their gently caress-up. Maybe after that they can multiply that by the number of rigs they have in the Gulf and reevaluate whether using better prevention technology could really "cripple" them more than having to pay to fix issues those could have prevented.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

One would say China has a focus on personal responsibility. For example, if you're just walking on an ordinary sidewalk at dusk and get hit on the head with a brick, you should have known that the completely unmarked bit of sidewalk you were walking on is a construction zone, and that workers inside the building are dismantling the interior and just throwing the bricks out the door. That particular example (which I've seen myself) was in the downtown area of Shanghai, not in some small town.

Workers are also responsible for their own safety gear. They get paid squat and pro equipment is expensive, so they have to show some ingenuity.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Wasn't it Steven Seagal who made a train movie?..

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Imagine that, a FF car understeering...

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Manny posted:

Your avatar makes me cringe every time

Don't make bombs in your basement, kids! (no, it's not my hand)

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Well, there's a nice spill of something there.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Note to self: if you're going to a Saudi/Emirati/Kuwaiti car event, bring your own fire extinguisher because evidently no one else will think of bringing one...

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

rscott posted:

We make the big green thing.

Radar, I assume?

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Explosive Racing indeed

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

some texas redneck posted:

FHP Accident Report - FHP thought the impact occurred at 120 mph, and found ~193 ft of skid marks before the car left the pavement.

If I had kids, I don't care how responsible they are, they sure as gently caress ain't driving a 500hp BMW, especially to a party. A Mercedes 240D would be a bit safer, methinks.

(edit: the kid was driving his dad's brand new M5 after leaving a party)

It's easy enough to imagine what happened -- arrogant idiot child takes dad's M5 down the runway, decides to max it out (~200 mph) because all he can see in the dark is more runway in front of him, doesn't take into account that he's going to have to slow down the car at some point. Also he's probably pulled similar poo poo in the past but didn't change the tires since.

It's rather sad that he decided to take passengers along.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

dietcokefiend posted:

Still doesnt beat the stupidity found in this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP28pbcz4tM

Is that the same street as the other video?

I couldn't believe the people who jumped out of their cars... brilliant, let's leave the one environment that's designed to protect you in case of collision and instead jump onto the roadway while there are other cars sliding out of control around you. Great idea.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Also why do people think that they need to use more power when their tires lose grip? What you want to do is shift to a higher gear and use less revs, that limits the torque that's sent to the wheels and reduces the chance of spin. Of course I grew up in a place that has proper winters every year, maybe that's why I know that...

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

MonkeyNutZ posted:

You can imagine how good the people in the neighboring, similar buildings felt about their home purchase after seeing that.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Well, I had a bit of a "Snowpocalypse" experience earlier today... it was snowing all day, an annoying sort of fine snow that seems to turns into pure slipperiness (ABS and TC were kicking in all afternoon). I'm coming back home from the market, and coming right to a steep downhill bit of road about a mile from my place.

Right away I think "this could be tricky", and I was right. The Accord in front of me locks up his brakes and slowly slides right into a car parked on the side of the road. Of course I touch the brakes, start to skid, then everything turns a bit slow-mo. I release the brake, spot a gap between the Accord and the car in the right-hand lane, add a bit of throttle and I make it through without any contact. That BMW winter driving course I took a couple of years back paid off.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

It's a shame that driver education isn't more extensive and really doesn't cover anything that falls under the "unexpected conditions" umbrella. The path to a license should be longer and more demanding, like it is in Finland.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Interestingly enough you now have to use winter tires between mid-December and mid-April (IIRC) in Quebec, which has the side benefit of forcing you to have a look at your tires a couple of times a year.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

VikingSkull posted:

at least it didn't catch fire

It's not an R8, a Gallardo or a 458 Italia, why would it just catch on fire unexpectedly?

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Runaway diesels:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zx3qKX_Pno
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw2r_lIRgpY

That's a lot of smoke.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

my1999gsr posted:

My service advisor called the customer with the early estimate (a cool $12,000) and the customer told her that the reason he didn't stop was because it was snowing too hard and he didn't want to stop.

That's quite a "never give up, never think things through" attitude... I must say, though, I'm surprised at how much that engine costs.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Good point, I indeed hadn't included that.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Automotive Insanity > Post Pictures of Incredible Mechanical Resilience.

Another example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFfuGRsHGbs

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

I'm sure whoever was driving it at the time shouted a word that also started with an F and ended with UCK.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

dissss posted:

But that Astra was available as a sedan in other markets too.

It was just a positioning and pricing stuff up all around.

Calling it a Saturn in NA didn't help.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Jaguar even used to have a rear badge to indicate the presence of disc brakes, just so other drivers would be advised to keep their distance.

And that Merc incident led to motorsports being altogether banned in Switzerland for 55 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

It's kind of amusing to see this sort of video (especially the intro) when Ford is telling us that these trucks were never really meant to be *that* tough:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3DPkGSOK7M