Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BIG HORNY COW posted:

"Bro, we should get our kayaks."

no, you should call the coast guard or for gently caress sake at least the harbormaster

Hey bro, they're Team Demshitz, bro. I think they know what they're doing, bro :colbert:

Bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Splizwarf posted:

That's pretty frightening. So, I guess this isn't exactly a car question but what's up with the camera in that? It looks like someone is recording a projection of another video on a waving screen.

Rolling shutter effect :science:

It mostly plagues cellphone cameras, but some consumer camcorders are affected as well.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Stormangel posted:

Apparently diesels will run on burnt phone books too!

Let's see, page 34 "Fuel mixing guidelines":

"For usage of discarded phone books, mix 6 parts paper with 2 parts used engine oil, 1 part paraffin, 1 part coal dust. Set fuel quality lever to 4. Allow engine to suck in loose sheets as needed."

:haw:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Doctor Zero posted:

Is the H2 really just a Suburban with a different body or is that a myth?

A little from column A, a little from column B.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMT800

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ericadia posted:

It's basically just a tarted-up Suburban, right? :v:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sponge! posted:

If I had nearly 200 angry HP between my thighs I certainly would.

You don't? :quagmire:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

oxbrain posted:

What's even scarier, a lot of us secretly desire to build experimental aircraft.

http://tindeck.com/listen/kfrb

"Aeronautical Insanity: Eh, duct tape ought to hold it"

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Armacham posted:

that'll teach you to put mayonnaise in your crankcase

Then what the hell is he supposed to put on his fries? :colbert:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ola posted:

I wonder if British sports coverage was like that in the 1970s. This Sunday, before the race: A one hour special on valvetrains.

I wish all sports coverage was like this. But that doesn't satisfy the lowest common denominator, so instead of informative high-quality engineering-oriented TV, we get Orange County Choppers and American Hotrod :eng99:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

bolind posted:

The yard workers also went on strike if the weather was good or it was a funny date or just because. Think General Motors, just with ships. The whole shipyard is, unsurprisingly, closed today.

Sounds like Lindø to me :v:

Not sure where I got these (perhaps this very thread!), but it sure is a failure:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

meltie posted:

Some people are suggesting it was a protection mechanism that got triggered. I can't imagine a scenario where turning turtle is the best protection however.

What if someone comes charging at your with a forklift? :tinfoil:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

grover posted:

Exploding dremel cutoff discs are painful. I've learned to always hold it so that I'm never in the plane of rotation.

I've learned the same thing and I've got scars to prove it. I never turn on my cheap-rear end Dremel knockoff without putting on safety glasses first.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, it's totalled. But if it's a 530d (which I think it is), someone could be doing a pretty cool engine swap soon.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

evobatman posted:

No, definitively an E91.

330d, then :)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Oh dear...

Backstory?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Scientist posted:

I was thinking about making a thread for "unique" solutions to mechanical problems - like how I once used a ratcheting cargo strap to compress a leaf spring on the front of a ford ranger so that I could get the spare tire on (in a pinch). I was doing it for a bunch of morons on the side of the road that I pulled over to help; the strap was rated for 10,000 lbs and I said "it shouldn't break, but if it does you can say that you curled 10,000 lbs. But if you here that loving truck so much as groan or creak, you get the gently caress out of there."

I wish I could think of more examples that I've used in the past, but they escape me at the moment. What do you guys think, what a thread like that go over well?

I vote yes, we need a jerry-rigging/redneck repair/git-r-dun thread.

Ratcheting straps, is there anything they can't do? :allears:

(I have a whole bunch of the drat things for securing my bike to ferries etc., the really cheap flimsy ones are the best thing ever.)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I love how people elevate northern Europeans as paragons of driving who do no wrong. These people have obviously never driven here for more than a token holiday.

• White van men rubbing bumpers in highway traffic.
  • BMWs+Audis+Mercs+Range Rovers+any powerful car tailgating like they own the road no matter which lane you're in.
  • A deep-seating misunderstanding of merge rules.
  • Yield? Ha, never!
  • People barging in to merge in front of you even though you were actually in front.
  • Stuck in a queue? Head for the breakdown lane and reverse up the nearest onramp.
  • Stuck in a queue for more than 5 minutes? Get out of your car and begin walking up the road to see what the cause of the holdup is.
  • On a bicycle headed for a busy roundabout? Go straight across, the cars probably won't hit you.
  • Right lane is for trucks, don't ever go in the right lane because trucks are dangerous!

And the list goes on. I see mindbogglingly stupid driving every single day. It's ridiculous.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

chutwig posted:

• The British will park anywhere, anytime, on any road, of any speed limit, of any width, on a blind curve.

This is called Copenhagen Parking in Denmark. Just put on the four-way blinkers and park your car anywhere you want. In particular, delivery vans and trucks love to do this and block half the road during rush hour. Never mind the people who park on the bike lanes or sidewalks because they're too lazy to walk from the nearest parking space.

We also have three colors on the traffic lights in Copenhagen: Green, taxi green and biker green.

The Hells Angels don't give a gently caress and just randomly block off intersections from time to time.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Stolen from the cycle pictures thread in CA:

That swingarm used to be straight :gonk:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

trouser chili posted:

motorcycles with shared-sump gearboxes and International trucks with the SV-family engines (gear timing) recommend straight-weight oils.

I don't think any motorcycles since the 1950s have called for straight-weight oil, shared-sump gearbox or not.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

And my understanding on why they use straight weight oils is that they lack rubber seals on their valve guides, so multiweight (lighter when cold) oil would leak past the guides.

Even a hypothetical 0w60 oil is much lighter at operating temperature than it is when cold, so there would be no significant leakage unless the tolerances are gigantic.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Scientist posted:

Don't certain patrol cars have superchargers for stuff like this (I imagine those chargers I see are pretty badass)? Still I wish a motorcycle crash on no-one. A friend told me about his cousin who (pretty gnarly, especially if you've been in a bike wreck before):After having a bike laid down, got road rash on his leg so bad that they had to take a wire brush to remove all the asphalt from the wound - they told him it was gonna hurt so bad that it would counter-act the morphine

My mom told me how she fell off her bicycle when she was a kid, she was wearing shorts and a t-shirt and she crashed downhill on a dirt road. They had to do the same thing.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Bondematt posted:

They run very happily on engine oil pouring through the turbo.

They sure do (warning: LOUD)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zx3qKX_Pno

I'm amazed it kept going as long as it did, actually.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

DJ Commie posted:

edit: If anything I'd put another motorcycle engine in, definitely fuel injected and probably Honda. The G10 turbo Chevrolet Sprint motor is too heavy and hard to find, also still likely too large.

Voting CBR1100XX Super Blackbird engine, 140hp should make that little car hustle along pretty well. Alternately a 929 or 954 engine if you can find them would give you 150hp.

EDIT: vvvv Very true, but keeping it Honda-powered would be really cool.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Sep 12, 2011

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

/\/\/\ I see no problem with this.

BlackMK4 posted:

Because you don't need to, the blackbird was carbed. :v:

Not since 1999, it wasn't.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Hell, I've gotten chain grease on my rear brake disk on the motorcycle before and sure it the rear brake sucked for the next 100km or so, but after that all the grease had cooked off and it worked just fine again.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ijustam posted:

I was going to add an attempt to be witty but apparently this is a thing: http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=385

:monocle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_DE96qt5CI

Woah!

So that's what they used on the vandalized car I saw a couple of weeks ago. I figured ordinary brake fluid would do some damage, but nothing that severe. That is some powerful poo poo right there.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

kastein posted:

One of my favorite blogs... PS, ClF3 (yup, holy poo poo, you can start running now) is even worse than FOOF. It's a stronger oxidizer than oxygen and will spontaneously combust on contact with such reactive things as wet sand, asbestos fireproofing, cement, rock, glassware, lab assistants, etc. Same guy has a pretty good article on it, I think it's titled "wet sand won't save you now".

All this talk of horrible sulphur and flouride compounds, and yet sulphur hexaflouride is inert and completely harmless. Hell, think about how dangerous "sodium chloride" sounds for a second.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Captain Postal posted:

Yeah, but it exists in equilibrium with S2F10, which is really NOT harmless. Those guys doing the anti-helium voice thing with SF6 on youtube? They're idiots.

Yeah, but it's still hilarious and you can do it with xenon instead, which just works kinda like nitrous oxide.

I love how Wikipedia states that S2F10 is a possibly by-product of electrically decomposed SF6 and that SF6 is an essentially inert insulator used in high voltage systems such as transmission lines, substations and switchgear.

:supaburn:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ossetepo posted:

As far as SF6 being harmless, I wish someone had told the EPA and the NRC before they made us both replace all of our gas-insulated switchgear and promise to never, ever use SF6 as a tracer gas for air inleakage ever again.

That may have something to do with SF6 being a greenhouse gas more than 22,000 times more potent than CO2 ;)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

Front shop came running out thinking something exploded.

Which is an entirely appropriate description of what happened, the way I see it.

There's a reason tractor tires are always inflated inside steel cages.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Rujo King posted:

The website for the Get Nitrogen Institute mentions all sorts of reasons for pumping your tire up with N2 but the main one they're on about is leakage, though they also bring up oxidation and rust.

They have a calculator on the front page that's supposed to tell you how much you'd save per year on gas and tires by using nitrogen, but I don't think they include the actual cost of tire filling itself in that, which at $6.00 a wheel isn't exactly negligible.

It's also completely irrelevant for anything other than high-end racing series.

Tires, wheels, valves etc. have been designed and built for more than a century to handle atmospheric air and normal moisture levels. The only reason to use nitrogen is to have slightly more predictable pressure fluctuation due to temperature. Or if you live in a swamp and your pump doesn't have a functioning moisture trap, I guess.

Think about it, even if you fill your tires with fancy non-reactive nitrogen, the outside of the tire is made from the same rubber and is constantly exposed to atmospheric air and UV light. They will dry rot and crack long before the insides are harmed to any measurable degree by the oxygen in the air inside them.

I have never seen the inside of a tire or wheel have any noticeable corrosion or damage due to moisture or oxygen, but I have seen plenty of tires that were cracked and dry rotted on the outside, yet looked completely pristine on the inside. As well as steel wheels being covered in rust on the outside from road salt and damage, yet smooth as they day they were made on the inside.

Nitrogen in tires is a gigantic scam unless you're in a high-end racing series.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mr.Peabody posted:

The only way to pump in the moisture is to use a direct pump like the 12v cigarette lighter plugin deals. Any system that uses a tank is going to have a moisture trap and dry air performs almost identically to nitrogen, since it's already 78% nitrogen. I would say nitrogen is a scam unless you're in an aircraft.

I'm using one of these cheap foot pump dealies, so I'm filling my tires with however humid air is around me at the time. Doesn't seem to affect anything.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Skyssx posted:

Yeah, this and that. If you check and adjust your tire pressures regularly, you're not going to see a benefit from nitrogen. Unless you check your tire pressures annually, or you're driving an actual race car, you can get as good a performance as by just checking and adjusting your tires 4 times a year.

4 times a year is probably a bit too lenient. I check mine every couple of weeks and I usually have to add .1 bar or so. That could add up over a three-month period.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cakefool posted:

You have a slow leak, probably at the bead. My v70 needs 2 psi every week or so on one wheel, I submerged it in a kiddiepool & found the leak, but it needs a new or refurbished wheel and :effort:

It's always been like that, on three different sets of tires and two different sets of wheels.

Both the original tires on steelies, winter tires on steelies and summer tires on alloys do it. But oddly enough, even after having been stored all winter (4 months), the winter tires had only lost .2 bar.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mr.Peabody posted:

You'll never notice, but the water vapor will expand and contract more than dry air with the temperature change in a tire. So you'll have a larger variation between a cold tire reading and warm tire reading than you would if you used dry air.

I know, but the difference will be so slight as to not matter at all.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Philip J Fry posted:

So, uhm, don't drive around with leaky acetylene tanks in your FJ. Or something.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/general-discussion/139018-i-blew-up-my-fj-literally.html

:stonk:

Holy! poo poo!

I would love to have watched that from a safe distance, it must have been quite a sight.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

EightBit posted:

I'm pretty sure that at 28 years old and in ok shape, I'd have a loving heart attack or two running from that stuff.

To be fair, it's actually pretty hard sprinting all-out while screaming profanities.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

otaku69 posted:

The first generation mustangs still kill more people per year in rear end collision than that little pinto incident.
http://forums.mustangworks.com/f10/safety-issue-64-70-mustangs-21016/

403 forbidden? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

bolind posted:

It turns out that auto transport train cars are slightly higher than normal train cars.

Not anymore! :haw: