Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

thecobra posted:

This is too funny not to post.
http://youtu.be/uwp0K7Huisw

Idiot A drove 12 hours from the US to come to this place in Ontario where Idiot B does all this stupid poo poo with cars and other creations. Idiot A decides he's going to race another guy, but before that takes his Mini out for some hooning, rolls it and pretty well totals out the car. So they pull the car into the shop and backyard it back up to highway condition.

That is an absolutely astounding bodge-job. I'd never let any of those guys anywhere near any of my vehicles with any kind of tools, not even my bicycle, but I'd sure as hell watch them bodge the hell out of someone else's car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sir Cornelius posted:

Don't be that harsh. I've wrenched your vehicles in an absolutely non-sober just-awoken Sunday state of mind. There's been incidents and accidents.

We speak not of the brake incident.

Also, you're not Canadian.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Beach Bum posted:

I think we need to hear about the brake incident now :v:

No, I'm sorry, but it must remain a secret.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sir Cornelius posted:

If they get me sufficiently drunk, I might tell them anyway. Just go ahead.

Only thing I have for my defense, is that even drunk and unexpectedly torn from my bed, I really can't take a Fiat Panda Diesel serious.

P.S. If you do this, I'll just repost a picture of your Bandit600 brake fluid. "Fluid" is a kind way to describe that somewhat liquid slime. Yes, I still have it available. I use it to scare the kids.

Oh alright.

Cornelius helped me change the brake pads on my Panda and I tried them out in the parking lot, everything seemed to be in working order. But on the way home as I was stopping at a red light, the brakes went *BANG* and started to grind horribly, while I lost about 50% braking power.

I limped it back to Cornelius' place, but he was off somewhere in a huff, ranting about something I guess. So I borrowed his jack and pulled the brakes apart again, only to notice that one of the pads had been put in backwards. I should have taken a picture, as the shim is currently completely annihilated and the back plate has a big-rear end groove in it.

Cornelius came back, we put everything back together again and wowed never to speak of it, due to sheer embarrasment.

RE: the brake fluid, that one's on the previous owner of the bike, not me.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

McDeth posted:

Tax and registration are a quarter of the cost of vehicles in Denmark? Holy poo poo...

Try 105-180%, ie. between half and two thirds.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Splizwarf posted:

I'm curious, is the same true for motorcycles?

Yes, the value breakdown goes like this: the first 0-8,900 DKK is 0%, 8,900-24,900 DKK is 105% and 24,900+ DKK is 180%.

As an example, a V-Strom 650 is 80,000 DKK MSRP including taxes, about $14,130.

On cars, there are various rebates and penalties for good/bad gas mileage, safety equipment and so on. None of that counts for motorcycles.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 19, 2012

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

^^^^ General_Failure is in Australia. Cornelius and I are in Denmark. Ola is in Norway and is making light of Denmarks gigantic amount of coast line for its relatively small area.

Splizwarf posted:

So pretty much a dick in the butt for anything with a combustion engine? What's the upshot?

Yes, apart from scooters and the like, which have a significant amount of their value below the tax limit.

The upshot is that we have some of the best social services, free healthcare, public services and well-maintained roads in the world, despite people constantly moaning about them. Spoiled brats, the lot of them. Admittedly, it has been going a bit downhill the last couple of years, along with the rest of the western world.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

R1200GS decides that it doesn't like its carbon fiber exhaust anymore:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

That's what you get for putting aftermarket exhausts on BMWs. Tasteful BMW owners (REAL BMW owners) know that you don't put loud pipes on a BMW.

He replaced it with this:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ola posted:

I haven't done empirical exhaust note vs penis length myself, but I am willing to risk money on no significant correlation.

Inverse correlation.

In my defense, the previous owner installed the carbon fiber exhaust :v:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This is the obvious solution.

tbf I've seen plenty of this from every age group. The problem is that 99% of American drivers are fuckwits and invent new ways of being bigger fuckwits every day.

I've seen plenty of cars driving around here with the brake lights permanently on. It's either electrical faults or people resting their left feet on their brake pedals, I guess. Some of them have had the distinct smell of toasted brakes about them.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Rocket Salad posted:

Huh? What does it say on the ticket, like, what was the actual violation?

If it's anything like 'round these parts, you can run either your low beams, your fog lights or your DRLs, but you must run one of them during the daytime. Run more than one of them and you get a ticket for unnecessary use of lights or some such. It's to prevent people from blinding each other with walls of light. At night you must run your low beams at all times, or high beams if at all possible without blinding people.

Rear fog lights are only allowed during severely impaired visibility and when there are no other cars immediately behind you.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Rocket Salad posted:

I have a green car and I like to drive around in the woods and hills so I keep the fogs on to be just a little bit more visible to oncoming traffic, since I really blend-in with the foliage in the shade - except for the fact that I'm moving considerable faster than the trees.

But still, that's a lame ticket. How much?

Minimum ticket these days is 1000 DKK or ~$170 for any traffic-related offense, if you're in or on a motorized vehicle. It's a bit cheaper for cyclists.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Sponge! posted:

I'm curious. Are "all season" tires available there like in the US? Or is the German MoT smart enough to know that there is no one tire that can handle an entire Deutschlander calendar?

Of course they are, not a lot of them on the market since I assume you mean real actual all season tires and not just warm weather tires used all year round by idiots.

AFAIK, the Goodyear Vector 4Seasons is the top dog among proper all seasons. It has above-average performance in warm weather and around average performance in cold weather, slightly worse in actual deep-ish snow. I believe it's even M+S rated.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

some texas redneck posted:

I don't think you can even find straight 60 anymore, can you?

I know Kroon Oil makes a cheap straight 50 for vintage old-rear end Harleys.

Best chain lube I've ever used.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, report that poo poo as soon as possible, before someone gets hurt due to the owner's penny pinching.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cakefool posted:

I hate spacesavers, I hate French cars, I hate whichever idiot decided under the rear of the car, exposed to years of salt spray was a good space to store a critical spare. I hate myself for never checking it.

My French car has a full-sized spare. In the trunk. On an OEM alloy wheel to match the ones the car came with :smug:

I honestly don't mind spacesavers that much, but the cheap and lazy cop-out of throwing in a can of fix-a-flat instead of a proper spare wheel needs to end.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Gorilla Salad posted:

Whoah. I've seen any number of side bulges in my time, but this is the first time I've seen the actual tread blistering out.

For some reason I find it incredibly disturbing. Imagine driving off with a tyre like that :stonk:

I find it disturbing that someone actually dared get close enough to take that picture.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Godholio posted:

Shooting it seems like a much more interesting solution. Or poking at the bump with a long pointy stick.

When in doubt, poke with a stick.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

nm posted:

Get those clunks checked out folks

That is apparently all the way off. Only one unseen tab keeping that attached.

Oh god, my car is clunking in the rear :gonk:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Not a horrible failure as such, more of a horribly smelling failure.

The plastic cover on top of the valve covers on my parents' Citroën decided to just fall off and land on the exhaust. 12 years' worth of road dust, oil and various chemicals burning makes quite a smell when combined with melting plastic.

Leave it to the French to attach things to an engine using brittle plastic fasteners.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

D C posted:

I have a dealer info book from 1987 for the 300 klasse. Over and over the marketing speak spooges over how the ENGINEERS WOULDNT LET IT BE ANY OTHER WAY.

The one that sticks out is them using only analog gauges because the Engineers thought that digital ones weren't as easy to read or robust.

They're partially right. The W124 and particularly the W201 are extremely overengineered and over-specced. If it wasn't for rust killing most of them, I'd probably be driving a 190D 2.5 5-cylinder turbodiesel right now.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

sharkytm posted:

:lol: Tank commander. That's perfect.

'Round here, we call them "burka drivers" :ninja:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I've never seen the coolant temp needle go anywhere above 90°C on the gauge in my car, but the oil temp needle goes all over the place depending on how hard I drive. It's nice to know that it works.

Actually, I kinda like how the normal operating temperature range is marked out on the gauge. So oil needs to be between 90°C and 140°C, while the coolant needs to be between 70°C and 90°C.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I think it actually is an ashtray!

According to this, at least: http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/car_info_lightburn_zeta.htm

quote:

Dividing the facia was a vertical plastic tube, covered with a perspex mask marked with calibrations. Up and down this the fuel mixture roamed, and this acted as the fuel gauge. It could read anywhere from full to empty depending on gradient or throttle. It was merely a bypass of the gravity-feed fuel system.

To the left of this was a pull-knob that released the bonnet, and to the right a swivel-type ashtray.

:supaburn:

E: Yup, it is an ashtray. Have a picture:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Rudager posted:

Why in the gently caress would you want too? :psyduck:

It's basically just macho bullshit. They do it because diesel engines are "manly" and big smoking stinking diesels are even more "manly". Same thing as big-rear end semi-style smoke stacks on pickups, it's a direct reflection of the owner's insecurity over his own penis size.

Some even do it specifically to "smoke out" people who drive around with open windows for whatever reason. Others do it because "gently caress the environment". These people are worst kind of scum.

E: I love the juxtaposition of the two entries here http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Rollin%27%20Coal

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Feb 10, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's the same segment that insists on decatting their gasoline-powered vehicles to "unlock the power", while stinking up the environment for everyone else. Nevermind that cats have had practically zero performance impact for decades now.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That rod looks perfectly straight to me. It just isn't attached to the hub at the right angle, that's all.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

No, I'm pretty sure that's an Aston Martin, although it's hard to tell the difference.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

InitialDave posted:

I'm sure it's completely innocent, but I love the fact there is a brand of batteries called Lion.

Really?

I simply must have one for my Peugeot.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Kidney Stone posted:

If your engine is a 1.6l TDCi from Peugeot (PSA), then it might very soon end up being a mechanical failure - you need to remove the filter from the banjo bolt which supplies the oil to the turbo. If that filter gets blocked (the problem is caused by badly designed sump. Removal of the sump drain plug does not result in total removal of old oil. Leaving sludge in sump.at some point due to the way the oil sump is constructed), your turbo will fail.

To add a bit onto this, the problem is exactly as massive as it sounds. This engine is used in basically every single model from Peugeot/Citroën, loads of Fords, MINIs, Volvos and so on, and they're all affected.

Removing the filter is a workaround that gets you slightly dirty oil to the turbo instead of no oil at all. Mekonomen (a Swedish chain of mechanics) have designed a sump that solves the drainage problem, the permanent fix is to fit one of those in place of the OEM one, I believe the official policy for PSA here in Denmark is to do exactly that.

I can't imagine how embarrassed their engineers are right now.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Apr 12, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

InitialDave posted:

Based on previous experience of PSA build quality, I have a hard time imagining them giving a poo poo.

I can only speak from my own experience, but my 406 runs as smooth as anything and hasn't got a single spot of rust despite 12 years on the road including winters. I have one issue with it, a broken speed sensor, which was cheaper to replace than I thought. Sir Cornelius has one as well with more miles than mine, he's had very few problems with his, too.

My parents are on their second Citroën C5 now, no major problems to report from them either, apart from normal wear and tear (my mom has a 50km commute each way).

Of course, none of those cars are turbo nor diesel, which is probably a factor to consider ;)

As long as people keep spreading rumors, people like me will have plenty of great, inexpensive used cars to chose from.

jammyozzy posted:

Anybody know if this affects the 2 litre DW10 mill too? I'm getting paranoid about my Pug now. :ohdear:

It probably doesn't affect the DW engines. The 1.6 is a newer design from the DLD family, which was co-developed with Ford. The only real issue I've heard with the DW engines are EGR valves sooting up (as seen above on a VW engine), which I think is common to most diesels. EGR blocking kits are available, if you're worried.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Shai-Hulud posted:

Well why do you think the turbos only four month old? Yep, exactly that problem killed the last one! We've taken the filter out of the bolt when we replaced the turbo.

Wait, is the filter inside the banjo bolt?

Hasn't anyone ever learned about maximizing filter area?

E: Goddammit, this is exactly what they've done, probably the stupidest idea ever:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'm not an expert on oiling systems, but some googling leads me to believe that it's a common occurrence, for whatever reason. But obviously not in conjunction with a sump that doesn't allow you to drain all of the old oil from the engine.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

InitialDave posted:

Every PSA car I've had personal experience of has shat itself in a mechanically terminal fashion, the only exception being an AX Forte my dad had new. That just had plastic parts disintegrate.

I call that "culling the herd" ;)

But seriously:

• My 2000 Peugeot 406
  • Sir Cornelius' 2001 Peugeot 406
  • My parents' current 2007 Citroën C5
  • My parents' old 2001 Citroën C5
  • My uncle's 2001 Citroën C5
  • 199x Peugeot 205 that belonged to a colleague at my old job and made 250km trips back home every weekend
  • My dad's 2011 Peugeot Boxer company van
  • My dad's previous company vans, 2x 2009 Peugeot Expert
  • My dad's company vans before that, 2x 2002 Citroën Jumpy
  • My dad's secondary company van during that time, a 2002 Citroën Evasion
  • 1998 Citroën Xantia my dad got as part of a trade for an old car

I think my dad may have had 3 of the 2002 Jumpys at one point, but my memory is failing me. Out of the 13 PSA cars that my friends and family have driven and currently drive, only one has had a failure that could be described as even remotely serious, and that was a broken electric cooling fan on the Xantia. Perfectly driveable, as long as you didn't idle for too long. Other than that, there has been a stuck CEL or two and couple of minor things like that, we use our cars, it's inevitable. We also take care of them and keep them maintained.

And yeah, the soft-touch rubberized trim in Citroën C5s does disintegrate, that's just how they are after a couple of years of wear. They went away from that design for a reason. No show-stopping faults on any of the cars, though. If you want to talk sucky cars, my go-to car is the 1996 Mercedes C250 diesel my parents drove before their first C5. That car was nothing but trouble.

Jeez, I actually had no idea how PSA-mad of a crowd I actually run with. Take that as you will :)

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Apr 14, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

joat mon posted:

(ball bearings)

No, those are very clearly kidney stones.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

D C posted:

He had a R34 GT-R, I dont know if i remember him having a R35, he got the GT3RS after he sold the R34 though I remember that much.

I think a friend of his had the GT-R while he had the GT3RS. I think he got a Focus RS after that, but didn't like that it was FWD. After that, I don't know, probably another Porsche.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

shoopeach posted:

My C63 came with one of those, and like a 105 wide tire, thankfully only had to change the rear tire once in an airport parking lot.

You should totally get four of those spares and try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPh90yNX-mY

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

PainterofCrap posted:

I have kitted out my cars for years with portable trolley jacks.

I have one in the trunk of the '66 Bonneville because the factory jack is a bumper jack and aside from me not trusting it, it wil mar the finish on the bumper. Never had a problem with them.

That's the one I have, too.

Be aware that the very same jack is also sold in blue with a 1 ton rating. Don't trust the 2 ton rating.

Other than that, it's great for hobby use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Jonny 290 posted:

-E36 rockers can rust from the inside out.

Same as the first couple of years of the pre-facelift Peugeot 406. Water can get in through the mounting holes for the kickplate and the lower door seal, and if the drain holes are blocked by dirt, water accumulates and rusts the gently caress out of everything. It takes upwards of 10 years to get really bad before you notice it, unless you happen to catch the sound of water sloshing around in the rockers. I've seen some real horrible pictures of cars that have never had anti-rust treatments. Mine's a later facelifted model, but I make drat sure to be on time with my anti-rust treatments every time now, and check those drat drains.

This was completely invisible from the outside, according to the guy who posted it:

As was this, on a different car:

No matter what you drive, check those drain holes!