Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Make sure to wash that rubber debris off the paint before it sets, otherwise you'll have to get something like the Mother's race rubber remover.

We had a tire failure like that turn into a few hours with rubbing compound and claybar just before the winter hit last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
At least it's still in production unlike a lot of other supercars on track. :) I'm sure McLaren's bodyshop will be overjoyed to see one that actually died in battle.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

BlackMK4 posted:

So... what about sportbikes. We somehow live. :v:

Owning a sportbike is like accelerated natural selection. If you make it past a week without being killed by an SUV or lowsiding at 200kph you're already in the top 1% of riders anywhere. :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

jamal posted:

Does this go here or the hellaflush thread?

What is that intruding into the boot? I can't tell through all the grease.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Terrible Robot posted:

Looks like the adjustment screw on the bottom of a coil-over shock.

That's what I assumed it must be but that thread looks way too long. That poor car.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I doubt it would even hold the oil in the pan once you fill it.

Looks like we have an opportunity to find out though :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Reminds me of this article on Jalopnik recently where the writer patched it with jb weld (magic stuff) and permatex. Sounds like the jb weld just slowed down the oil contamination though and he ended up just permatexing around it.

http://jalopnik.com/5935258/the-super-hacky-oil-pan-emergency-repair-fix

Some guy in the comments used a wax crayon to slow down the contamination enough to jb weld it.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 12, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

some texas redneck posted:

What the gently caress happened here :stare:
Counterfeit Chinese airbags.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Just don't hit anything, or get hit.

Pretend you live in China and the airbag will kill you anyway.

Seriously though I can't really see a shop skimping on the airbag of all things. They're expensive, but so are lawsuits, so if anything they'd buy a stolen one.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Canadian Tire is not really a tire store so much as it is a collision between a Harbour Freight, 3/4 of a Pep Boys, a Sears tool department, a hunting shop, a Target housewares department, a Walmart tire department and whichever half of a Home Depot you don't need anything from at the moment. Your success in finding anything is directly proportional to how much time you invest in finding it.

Their tire selection is utterly poo poo but their in house tool brands ("Mastercraft") are usually quite good (with many exceptions once you start going down the scale of tool quality). It has its own fiat currency printed by the same supplier as our Mint. :canada:

All my torque wrenches are 1/2" so unfortunately I can't really help in this discussion but figured I would chip in. FWIW my 3/8" socket set from Canadian Tire doesn't go below 10mm, but it also came with a free hammer so the quality is suspect.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 29, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Speaking of Canadian Tire, I just took advantage of their 75% off Maximum impact socket/3.5A impact gun pairing. Normally it's like four hundred stupid dollars but it was only $87. I just had to go to a few of them to actually find it (totally worth it).

Buce, I'm so sorry to hear that. :( I hope everything starts to look up soon for you two.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
One of my new neighbors has been driving around with 4/5 lug nuts for a little while. When I first saw it I thought, hey, he lost or broke one of the lugs for one of his wheels, he'll fix it when he has a chance.. not like lug nuts are expensive or hard to come by.

I was out walking the dog and noticed that all four wheels are like that. If it's good enough for Hondas...

e: It's the flash washing out the pale beige colour. vvv

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 30, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Why do you have a $3000 clutch in a Soarer of all things?

The only thing I can think of is that it must be an absurd race car that rips off lurid powerslides 24/7. :allears:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

b0nes posted:

I guess I should check my tires more often. Happened at 2am going 60mph.

:respek: Hey highway speed tire disintegration buddy.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Puddin posted:

Like really far past. They're almost slicks.
Yeah, that was the point. I bought the wheels and the tires came with them for free. Then I proceeded to go "You know what tires with no tread depth are great at? Being sticky!" and went autocrossing in a distant town. :v:

On the way home after a successful day of hammering on them, they blew up. I was probably asking for it and I learned a valuable lesson (two, if you count "keep your spare tire filled up").

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

b0nes posted:

3 for me. Scissor jacks suck rear end, especially when you don't have the proper parts. My car has a factory one but I couldn't figure how to get it out of the compartment. So I had to use an old crowbar I had in my trunk, on a sloped street It took forever.
Luckily my buddy was driving in a convoy with me and glanced in his rear view to watch my right front tire turn to dust and my four-way flashers come on. He had a handy trolley jack.

Next summer I'll use these random four year old RT615s that I got with my Miata. They have tread, guys, tread!

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Dec 11, 2012

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
From the local club.. Subaru 2.5L oil pickup strikes again:

Got it out just in time.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Geoj posted:

So what models/years is this a problem on? My wife wants to get a used Impreza hatchback in the semi-near future :ohdear:
Seems to mostly be a problem on the 2.5L turbo models, because Subaru is cheap and brazed the pickup together instead of properly welding it. Cat Terrist got bit by it too I believe.

You can get an aftermarket pickup from a few vendors (such as Killer B). I've yet to see an NA motor with a broken pickup though I did see a turbo 2.0L pickup shatter once when the front suspension collapsed taking a jump on a rally stage and the car bounced off the oilpan..

I had my pickup replaced two years ago and it wasn't that bad, just had a few small scratches on it. I put in a Killer B pickup and crank baffle.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Some of the Subaru forums have some comparisons between various oil filters but it mostly has to deal with stuff like drainback pressure, filter volume and filter material. I'm not entirely sure how you would quantitatively measure an oil filter without having a pretty complicated test apparatus.

Here's one thread, if you're curious: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f113/subaru-oil-filter-comparison-99130/

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Throatwarbler posted:

Do you guys all have cars with wierdo expensive oil filters or something? The OEM filters with the actual car maker's stamp on the side is usually cheaper or the same price at the dealer as the orange FRAM ones from Canadian Tire. Why would you use anything else? An oil filter for me is like $5 at the dealer, even if the FRAM one was half the price at $2.50 why would you bother? I'll slurge on the extra $2.50 in case I have to sell the car to some rear end in a top hat like Godholio.
For Subarus there are basically two (now really three) kinds of filters, "blue" and "black" and one of them is somehow better than the other. The horrible US dealerships used to sell the good Japanese kind but now only sell the bad American kind.

As such there's a bunch of debate about which filters the good Japanese kind are based on, where you can find them now, etc. It's pretty dumb, I just put on whatever the dealership sells in quantity at like $5 a pop.

Reportedly now the "third" kind of filter (designed for the entirely different FA/FB engine) is somehow better for EJ engines than the black/blue EJ filters were.

That said, you've been on the Internet long enough to know that the busiest topics on car forums involve oil.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That is one tough bastard of an engine.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Looks like a camber bolt snapped off. They'll do that, especially in salty-rear end climates like ours. :(

Top and bottom camber bolts. Pimpin'.

Everything else under there looks pretty clean, and I don't recognize the control arm or those endlinks, but the caliper looks familiar... what is it?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Dizman posted:

I'm talking to the guy via PM on that message board. Apparently he's finding metal fragments up in his dash. He's luck as gently caress that it didn't go through his feet.

I guess you could say it was shear luck. :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
How long did that vise grips trick work?

Seems to me that'd hit the glass during normal use as it slides past.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

This is the second or third time I have, check the Audi build thread to see me pull drive line Allen bolts with an easy out FROM AN ANGLE :catstare:

One of these days you'll use up the last of your ez-out luck and the entire garage will collapse.

In the meantime though.. :worship:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Bucephalus posted:

Because it's uninsured.

Yeah, that's gotta be it. I doubt they've got money to repair it though - it looks pretty done for.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You try building a car out of a dealership part catalogue some time.

I am curious how you'd even start rebuilding that. It doesn't look too bad, the floor pan and firewall seem mostly intact.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
When you run a tuning shop sometimes people bring in poorly modified poo poo to get tuned. This was running on the stock tune, complete with turboback exhaust.

I think those are drywall screws.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, it's a good idea to deal with a heat problem by further insulating it and preventing it from shedding any IAT.

Additionally, are those glued to the ports? Lacking an engineering degree, I'm thankful that I can't even imagine the full extent of what's wrong with that from a statics perspective.

The new Subaru intake manifolds are plastic, but it's ABS plastic blended with some glass fiber stuff that makes it more resistant to heat than the old steel manifolds were.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Raw_Beef posted:

I think this is the only OEM external gauge ever. I could be totally wrong. No idea why it didnt catch on :rolleyes:

Trans Am Turbo did it too, although the utility of its gauge is questionable at best.

TURBO CHARGE: HIGH.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
We always thought it was encryption, but it's just a Caesar cipher on a Kaptain Ballistik post!

No wonder nobody could decode it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Not mine, but a friend's.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Yeah something like this happened on our highway a few years ago. Someone was on the way to the dump, didn't bother securing his washer-dryer set in his pickup and poo poo out a top-load washer onto the left lane of the highway right after a blind corner. IIRC a Golf caught it in the nose and seriously injured the driver.

A lot of people have called me old fashioned for wanting blatantly ignorant sociopaths like that to have their hands cut off, but I think if anything it doesn't go far enough.

While not a mechanical failure, here's a video from another part of that highway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyVk126eilE TONGUE WEIGHT WHAT'S THAT?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 17, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Good recovery. I always figured hammering it and trying to get up as much speed as possible was the way to tuck it back into shape but I dunno if I would be able to react fast enough to catch it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I like to imagine that truck tire shops have some kind of robot like a police bomb defusal robot to poke those tires into submission.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'm actually sort of surprised it was the front wheels rather than the rear ones. You'd think the ones that have to deal with the engine force and also extreme (relative to the front) slip angles would go first, although I guess there's more weight in the front.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
What the hell makes coolant milky white like that?

Hard tap water?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Gators are those 6x6/4x4 quad tractor things that public parks use to haul drunks around in the back of.

Note handbrake. This is significant.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

PainterofCrap posted:

My nephew brought over his 2006 Subaru WRX Sti so we could replace the front rotors, which are warped. Figured it'd be a one-hour job - it's two bolts per caliper, and nothing holds the rotor on.

[...]

I've been working on cars since 1975. Never had anything remotely like this happen to be with disc brake calipers.
My sympathies. The Brembo bolts are kind of infamous for doing that and I'm not really sure if there is any way to really prevent it when you're maintaining them (other than maybe replacing the bolts every time and using copious antiseize). They get really hot because they're massively heavy cars that are frequently driven hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
50-50 acetone and atf mix is supposed to work well for stuck bolts according to others in AI; better than the commercial premixed stuff apparently.

I need to remember to try it sometime. Always forget to pick up acetone at the store.