Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Poing posted:

Speed up random video + Yakety sax = comedy?

No, it needs to be done like a proper Benny Hill video, with sound effect and laugh tracks in addition to the speed up and yakety sax.

Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZr3R5cKkXQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

^
Could have been a LOT worse than it was. "Destroying" is a bit strong for the situation, you could probably do more damage with a baseball bat.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

FatCow posted:

Good for mythbusters, I've seen plenty of burnouts leave flaming piles of rubber in their wake.

I'd tend to agree with this, mainly because they have to restrict what they show from a legal standpoint. If they say "yeah if you drop your clutch at 5000 RPMs you'll set your tires on fire" guess who is going to get sued when some dumbass goes out and does what he just saw on TV and ends up setting his car on fire.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

dietcokefiend posted:

Are you seriously comparing the legal qualms of showing people that doing a long duration burnout to start tires on fire is different than exploding cars, homes, tractors, doors, fake people, etc with home made and military explosives?

Most people don't have access to military or even home made explosives. The number of viewers in their audience who have cars, however...

Plus how many times have they had to say "we were going to try this but our lawyers/insurance said no loving way so we're putting in a human analog instead"?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

I'm surprised you don't see the opposite of that happening - a trailer finally giving up after having however many other trailers (not to mention traditional rolling stock) pulled behind it. There has to be a limit to how much weight you can tack on behind a semi trailer and not have it split in half - right?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Crustashio posted:

There was a case near my work where some guy was renting spots in his huge barn to store classic cars/sailboats and his insurance didn't cover poo poo when it burned down. I would hate to be that guy.

Cases like this make me believe insurance is little more than a scam. Homeowners/liability insurance won't cover the car because its a car, and the car insurance won't cover it because the building collapsed on it/burned down around it (etc.)

There needs to be a law that if your insurer decides they're not going to pay out on something or drop you for any other reason than the policy holder was on drugs at the time of the loss they have to refund 100% of your premium payments.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

el topo posted:

That's quite a "never give up, never think things through" attitude... I must say, though, I'm surprised at how much that engine costs.

Well you have to figure in markup + labor. A (new) crate engine's probably only $5-6k.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

RoboCriminal posted:

Can someone more knowledgeable explain this to me?

Also bonus (unposted I think) content:

Valve dropped out of the head and into the cylinder. Probably the result of an improperly installed/failed valve retainer.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

^
When handling caustic poo poo you'd probably want to use something more like this: http://www.princessauto.com/surplus...esistant-gloves

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

scapulataf posted:

Yeah, the ad notes that they are alkali and acid resistant. I don't know if they would be resistant enough though.

I would guess they'd hold up better than the sandblasting gloves. Usually gloves rated as "chemical resistant" are safe to use with anything you can buy over the counter. I wouldn't be surprised if the sandblasting gloves would start to break down immediately upon contact with a strong acid/base.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

^
Considering most rail in the US (everything outside of light commuter rail) is privately-owned, I'm absolutely shocked there's not a bottomless government subsidy for the rail industry for track maintenance and upkeep.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Godholio posted:

Is that a loving wooden spacer?

Like I said in the other thread, I really, really hope this was just a case of "hey lets do a mockup to see what it'd look like with 20mm spacers" before pulling the trigger on a set of $350 spacers. Otherwise, I'm rooting for the asteroid at this point

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Shroomie posted:

Was this your piston from a few pages back...?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Also, how is a remote filter setup not "environmentally correct"? Because it adds a quarter to half a quart to the pan?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

My friend was unable to shift his '00 Focus into gear while it was running...

I guess he loaned it to a guy he works with who lives about a mile away from the shop they work at so he could go home and check on his kids. When he got back he asked him "did you know you can shift your car without pushing the clutch in"? The issues with being unable to put it in gear while running started shortly thereafter.

See also; why I refuse to run a sprung clutch disc.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

DJ Commie posted:

A few failures out of tens (probably hundreds) of millions? You'd rather wear the transmission earlier because of an extraordinarily rare failure probably caused by abuse?

So a little extra vibration is going to cause my transmission to poo poo itself a few thousand miles earlier than it otherwise would?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

^
I've had an unsprung clutch on my car for 70,000 miles and the transmission (with 130,000 total miles) is fine.

When do you estimate my unsprung clutch is going to cause catastrophic failure?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Nerobro posted:

The guy treated a syncro, FWD transmisison as a crashbox. yeah, that's gonna break poo poo.

Not questioning that this caused the problem.

To me, I'd rather risk my transmission making GBS threads itself 5-10,000 miles earlier at the very end of its lifespan than run a clutch disc with springs in it. Its not like a sprung clutch disc throwing a spring and requiring a clutch replacement (or worse) on its own is something that's completely out of the question.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Tactical Bonnet posted:

What else are they supposed to do? The assembly line they work on is at a dead stop!

Sweep the floor until the line is running again. Never worked in a shop setting with a sadistic manager?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Sponge! posted:

How about a "Safety meeting", with donuts and coffee. Looks good for the company, and the workers get to relax.

You don't pay employees to sit around. If you must have the meeting, schedule it before or after the shift and before or after everyone clocks in or out.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Where do you think this is coming from?

There's a significant difference between blue-collar and white-collar jobs. I worked in a lumber mill for 2.5 years after graduating highschool. If you weren't working on the shop floor you weren't being paid. Meetings that were mandatory were scheduled before or after your shift and were unpaid. If you didn't like it the managers (there were three of them) would wave a stack of job applications in your face and tell you you're replaceable.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

If it wasn't clear I'm no longer working there ("...worked [there] for 2.5 years after graduating...") The place folded about a year after I left because the owners (three brothers who inherited it from their father) wouldn't be able to run a curbside lemonade stand, much less a medium sized business.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 2, 2011

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

DJ Commie posted:

There is a reason that nearly every OE clutch package has them.

My guess is preventing everyone who buys a manual transmission equipped vehicle from bringing the car back in the day after buying it and saying "its chattering, fix it" is higher on the priority list.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

EightBit posted:

Must be nice working in Chinalovely third-world hellhole of a sweatshop!

I could write a small book on the horrors I experienced at that place. Like management turning a blind eye on a career alcoholic who would routinely show up 4 hours late in his bar-hopping clothes from the night before and be sent home a half-hour later because he was still poo poo-faced. Or the time they narrowly avoided being caught by the fire department spraying in an open shop. By the time I left they had it in for me to the point where they told my co-worker on a rip saw to work me so hard that I would quit. Had I known at the time (it came out when we were fired at the same time) I would have sued them for hostile work environment.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

^
Also one of the states that charges you annually (up to a limit of something like $600) when you have points on your license...

Actually, Virginia is so traffic ticket obsessed that I was shocked when I wasn't cited for hitting a deer there two years ago.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 4, 2011

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

^
Wow...I'm kind of at a loss for words. I don't think I've ever seen an engine block that was utterly destroyed like someone put a bomb on it.

Any idea if the head was reusable?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

bolind posted:

It's two-stroke, diesel, and kept at a very low RPM (redline at 108 or something.)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this also allow them to direct drive the propeller? Couldn't do that with a turbine, at least not without an equally big gearbox (which would result in drivetrain losses.)

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Two Finger posted:

Yeah, this poo poo.

Does that have to be heated to decrease viscosity or does the engine use some kind of hammer of the gods injection system to ram it into the cylinder at room temperature?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Skyssx posted:

Note there are TWO air filters pictured. This is a common occurrence.

As in its common for idiot owners to buy a new air filter and somehow jam it on top of the existing filter...?

Also please tell me they denied the warranty claim...

Geoj fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 18, 2011

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

IOwnCalculus posted:

That said, I do like the OHC GC160 my dad put on our little go-kart. Easy as hell to start and ran drat well once you tweaked the governor to get a little extra RPM.

Seconding this, I have the same engine (in vertical configuration) on my lawnmower. Bought it at Lowe's two years ago and it hasn't given me any issues. All I've done is change the oil and run a little seafoam through with the first tank of gas of the season and it still starts up on the first pull (now running on its third season.) I get the feeling the engine is going to outlast the rest of the mower.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Motronic posted:

As a long time hazmat technician for emergency response, I was horrified that this was all the driver's were expected to know to get the endorsement.

You can probably thank shipping/trucking trade groups and their lobbyists for this.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

kronix posted:

Good luck I had a pothole rip a tire straight off a rim once and didn't get poo poo. Chance are if you live in a populated area and there was a pothole big enough to do that to your car, chances are it did something to 10 other cars and you better believe less than half are getting settled.

This. I once hit a manhole that had sunk 8-10 inches below the surface of the road and trashed a snow tire and the wheel it was attached to. When I contacted the city their response was "we've been running notices in the local paper about that for two weeks now, you should have known about it." The fact that I live 30 miles away and therefore was not a subscriber to the local paper didn't seem to register, nor did my question as to why they couldn't be bothered to put a cone on it to warn people.

Oh, and I never got any kind of reimbursement either.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Motronic posted:

The bonds issued to build the turnpike were paid off on schedule and it should be a free road now according to the bill of goods sold back then. Surprise, that's not going to happen.

I would argue that if the PA turnpike was well-maintained the tolls would be justified. Here in Ohio I'll gladly pay a few dollars to use the Ohio turnpike because they actually do a good job of maintaining it and its 3 lanes from Toledo to Youngstown (minus a few miles in the middle between Ohio route 8 and 480.)

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Splizwarf posted:

What does it cost to cross PA on the Turnpike now (at least 100 miles longer than my trip), like $18?

I think its been higher than that for a while. Last time I crossed PA on the turnpike (leaving from Edison, NJ to Ohio) it was something like $21 or so and that was in 2008 (on return trips to Edison I've taken 80 instead, its about the same distance and no tolls and just as boring.)

Just checked the toll calculator...to take 76 from the PA/OH border to the Delaware River Bridge is currently $30+ (even more if you're not using an EZ Pass.)

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Wiglaf posted:

The turnpike in OH is actually pretty awesome. It only takes a few bucks to keep most of the derps out. And depending on where you're headed it cuts out quite a few miles.

Its been kind of annoying ever since they raised the speed limit to 70 though. I still cruise at 75 and people tailgate me in the middle lane now. And don't even get me started on Michigan drivers...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

At least we don't come into your state and drive 5 under the speed limit in the left lane like Ohio drivers do in Michigan.

You're right, going 5 under the limit is much worse than going 25 over the limit and acting like an entitled asshat when someone doesn't immediately pull over on the shoulder to let you pass.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

^
Try to understand the mentality of your average Michigan driver. When he says "5 under the limit" what he really means is "5 under the 20 over everyone here typically drives." Back when I would go to Michigan for work on a routine basis it wasn't uncommon for me to go 85 in a 70 and get tailgated in the far right lane.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Muffinpox posted:

If someone can pass you on the right you shouldn't be in the left lane.

Who said anything about sitting in the left lane? Its not uncommon for me to have a car with Michigan plates tailgate the gently caress out of me in the middle or far right lane when I'm already doing 10 over the limit.

Muffinpox posted:

It is actually, in the US most places specify that vehicles in the left lane always yield to faster traffic.

Also, most places in the US also specify that you're supposed to obey posted speed limits. If I'm active passing someone/a line of slower moving traffic in the left lane I'm not going to get over until I'm done passing because someone else thinks that 95 is an acceptable cruising speed and they own the road.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 4, 2011

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Das Volk posted:

Move to Germany, England or the Scandinavian countries where the drivers test is actually pretty hard and being a road user requires some commitment.

You're right, and anyone who has driven in Northern Europe has seen the wonder that is immediate yielding regardless of speed, attention to lane space, signaling and all the other behaviors that "should" come natural.

So in those places, is it common practice to run into someone in the middle or right lane to clear the way for someone who comes up behind you at 25-30 over the posted limit who can't wait another 10-15 seconds for you to clear the slower-moving traffic? Basically, even if someone is in the act of passing in the left lane they should get the gently caress out of your way - even if it means causing an accident - because they're not passing fast enough for your liking...?

Godholio posted:

What the gently caress is happening in Africa? That chart isn't including genocide, is it?

Remember the thread where the Danish Belgian couple drove across the DRC?

Geoj fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Das Volk posted:

...the closing speed can be upwards of 75-100 MPH in some instances on the Autobahnen,

Name one highway in the US (hell, North America for that matter) where it is legal to cruise at 140+ MPH. US Interstate system =/= German autobahns.

Das Volk posted:

How is this so difficult for you? Pay some loving attention to the traffic coming up behind you instead of being an arrogant little snot that has to impose his will upon other road users.

Here is a common scenario I frequently encounter on the Ohio Turnpike (the highway that started this discussion.) It is three lanes for 80% of the highway, with a constant 70 MPH speed limit aside from construction zones. I routinely drive at 80 MPH because the state highway patrol won't pull you over until you're doing 11-15 MPH over the limit.

Often, I will end up passing a long line of slower moving traffic in the right two lanes (at 80 MPH) that can take anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute to pass before a gap opens up in the middle lane. In such a circumstance, I am left with three choices when some rear end in a top hat who thinks he owns the road parks himself a foot and a half off my rear bumper; 1) continue passing at my current speed until it is safe to change lanes 2) floor it until I bounce off the speed limiter because no matter how fast I go the guy behind me has to go 5 MPH faster or 3) cut off someone in the middle lane so I can get out of the other guy's way, because you know, "not passing fast enough for his liking." Bearing in mind that US interstates =/= the autobahn, what do you suggest I do?