Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I bet the engine in my work truck looks very similar to that BMW. The oil filter is rusty if that is any indication of when the oil was last changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

One of my friends just shot a plug out of his 99 Crown Vic. Threads are gone though, you got lucky.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

The Ford 4.6 hates spark plugs for no apparent reason.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

frozenphil posted:

Right, some people are shade tree hacks that have no concept of what happens when you screw a steel spark plug into an aluminum head without using anti-seize. That shouldn't be used as a mark against the Mod family in my opinion.

On the other hand there are millions of cars/trucks with aluminum heads that dont have a known problem with stripping the threads. Dont get me wrong, I love Fords but it is a mod motor problem.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Cakefool posted:

I need to bring you guys some photo's of the failures at work, cam followers I can't lift going bad & destroying their bearings (that I can fit my head through). We were lucky & didn't have to resurface the cam though (8ft diameter, 12" wide per lobe).
Also, the brake disc we had to get skimmed at a powerstation workshop, as no-one else could skim a 3m diameter brake disc

Please do! Do you work on ships? Sounds too big to be trains.

e: spellin'

shy boy from chess club fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 12, 2009

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Doesn't that punch a hole in the top though? Not in the skirt like that?

Not usually. My guess is the edges of the piston above the ringland has less metal, heats up faster and melts first rather than the thicker parts towards the center. This is from an ACVW I rebuilt when cyl #3 lost compression.

Cylinder #1 piston skirt broke in half. This engine saw some pretty serious detonation. The previous owner thought it was ok to run it "for a short time" without the belt.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Phy posted:

They were making four-stroke mowers 20 years ago?

Are you kidding? Looks like someone hasnt been reading my thread

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

ExtremeODD posted:

What since 1962?

If I could find a good cheap reel Id rock one out.

You can still buy them for around $100 but sharpening them costs about that or more when it needs it.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Crossposting my ill fated Chevy 283. Dropped a valve while I was doing a celebratory burn out. It didn't make any warning sound, it just stopped mid burn and then smoke came out everywhere.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I feel bad about killing the 283 but I got another 283 from craigslist that already has a hot cam in it

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Raluek posted:

Isn't the earliest hot cam the LT4 hotcam? Those require a roller block, which no 283 is. Is there an earlier one that I haven't heard of? Google is only showing me the LSx and LT4 hotcams.

e: or do you just mean a generic cam which is hot instead of the GMPP Hotcam? Maybe I misunderstood.

I didn't mean hot cam by name, just that its better than stock. Its the 327/350hp cam.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Hahaha, that sucks so bad, he really did ruin that car. I'm so glad nothing that bad has happened to me while acting like an rear end in a top hat to my car. Blowing the engine wasn't poo poo.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

bird cooch posted:

largest part of piston 3 found in the intake!?!

I posted my Chevy 283 that dropped a valve earlier in this thread that looks just about the same and I found pieces of the rings in all the other cylinders It keeps me awake at night trying to figure that one out. It was the exhaust valve that dropped and the intake valve was mashed into the head SO HOW DID THEY GET THERE.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

How is that not a bearing shell? It even has the notch and everything. What kind of noises was it making? HOW DID IT GET IN THERE?

e: The cams don't have bearing shells on those engines so it would have had to come from the bottom end which means it would have to squeeze upwards through an oil galley. I'm gonna tell myself the owner dropped it in through the top to gently caress with you guys and is laughing like a big rear end in a top hat right now.

shy boy from chess club fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 18, 2011

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Sponge! posted:

Mine's 22 this year...

I have a 27 inch RCA my mom bought new in 1990. I just replaced it with a plasma two weeks ago (it was cheap) so the RCA is going out in the shop where I can groan at Joe Elmore's terrible puns from the safety of under my truck.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Sponge! posted:

Hey my zenith is 1989 and the tube is in awesoeme shape. Granted it does blow three somponents on the flyback board very 4-5 years, but they're $6 and some soldering to fix.

My RCA has been losing the v-hold during some scene changes. Its very short and hardly noticeable but I'm sure it will only get worse. Is that something that is easy to fix where I could just send you the pc board? It has no external controls for it like the old ones.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Sponge! posted:

Direct connection to the cable line or you using a box?

I was using a broadcast tv box.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Leaf spring bracket failure on my uncles truck, not too horrible but its going to suck to fix.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Sponge! posted:

Oh god that's gonna be a few hours with some plate and a stick welder... Best of luck with that.

I don't think welding it would be strong enough, hes looking for a replacement right now.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Sponge! posted:

Come now we both know a good weld can/should be stronger than the joined metals.

Yea but the bracket is only slightly thicker than aluminum foil at this point and it would probably fail right the edge of the weld.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Sockington posted:

He's saying to simply remake the piece out of plate steel and weld that to the chassis rail (probably after welding a patch section there too).

It's a bit of work, but by no means un-reasonable for a week's work.

Oh yea, you're right but neither my uncle or I have access welder anyway so its easier to find the part somewhere.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

As soon as I'm able to get to them I will get pics of the collapses at my house that took out some automotive/farming history. The 54 Chevy pickup I had that was like Mooecow's was one of the victims

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

MrSaturn posted:

I feel your pain. The storage container I had my '65 Buick Wildcat in at my dad's house collapsed on it a few weeks back due to the weight of the snow on it - dad hasn't been able to get in there to see the extent of the damage, but I'm fearing the worst.

Oh NO! I really hope your Wildcat is ok, that's an awesome and rare car and I love them

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Paul Boz_ posted:

About nine months ago my brother was helping me bleed my clutch and he mashed the pedal hard, shooting me in the face with hot brake fluid. I scrambled to get out from under the car but slipped in wet leaves and face planted on concrete. I tried to brace my fall and tore all of the ligaments and tendons that provide lateral support for my left thumb. I was between jobs with no insurance so I put it off. To repair it the doctor drilled a hole in the rear thumb bone then routed a tendon from my wrist through it. Lastly he drilled a pin through it and set it in a hard cast to immobilize it until next Friday. Sorry for no details yesterday, my pain is at a persistent 5-6/10 even with hydrocodone.

Sorry about your pain and all and I feel bad laughing at the first few sentences.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I bet that guy was pissed when the third head gasket was leaking too.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

That engine was sitting for a long, LONG time and that is just bad corrosion from being improperly stored. What year vehicle did it come out of?

e: I can't read

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Jeep 4.0 throws a rod, has no oil pressure, still runs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg0Q...=1&feature=fvwp

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Geoj posted:

You don't pay employees to sit around. If you must have the meeting, schedule it before or after the shift and before or after everyone clocks in or out.

Have you ever had a job that has meetings? I've gotten paid for every second I've ever been in a meeting.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Ive worked plenty of blue collar jobs and still got paid. You're getting screwed, man. Even UPS paid for our meeting at the start of every shift and they are super anal about getting every second of work from everyone that works there.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

Forgot to add this one to the other post, not so much horrible in what failed, more a package deal. Heater core on a Toyota Previa.

Don't you pretty much have to do the same thing to change the front struts?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Holy poo poo I've never seen a failure like that. Were you able to determine what caused it?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Bucephalus posted:

Reinforcing my position that any Kohler newer than a Magnum is crap.

I like the Command series a lot too, so smooth and reliable. I hope I didn't just jinx myself.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Godholio posted:

Lawnmower chat ITT.

Edit: Actually I'm kind of surprised we haven't had that thread yet.

Right here. Probably time to bump it since summer is almost here.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Skyssx posted:

Command >>>> Magnum. There's just no reason to go with a Magnum except packaging. The line ended in the early '00s, but it's already a parts wasteland. You can get more and cheaper parts for a K series than a Magnum.

(horrible maintenance)

To replace the Magnum that I'm rebuilding it would cost around $2500 (short block) and to replace it with the Command, $900. The Magnum has also blown up previously and now needs rings, all before 2300 hours. I have a newer 260K with the Command and 1400 hours and it runs perfectly like brand new. Not that the Magnum is bad but the Command is so much better.

Oh god those poor machines. Those are probably the same people that drive to the next town over to save 10 cents on a gallon of gas but wont buy a $2 quart of oil to maintain something they paid hundreds or thousands of dollars for.

Pro-tip for you guys. Sharpen the blade on your mower more than once a year. I do mine every 20 hours or less. Your lawn will thank you. Unless you have a lovely lawn, then it wont matter.

We should really move to the alternative insanity thread. I could talk about lawn mowers for a long time.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

Briggs&Stratton mower.

This is key right here, gently caress Tecumsehs (after the late 80s/early 90s).

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

I take it they suck?

The engine itself is ok but their carburetors blow. I have a bunch of equipment that has been sitting around and the Briggs always run with new gas and a little engine starter, the Tecumsehs ALWAYS have to have the carb rebuilt and they get this nasty green stuff in them that is hard to remove.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Guys, seriously, post this stuff in the alternative insanity thread. People are looking for broken and exploded poo poo in this thread. I'm not gonna answer any more lawn mower questions here.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Beast Pussy posted:

so your car won't start? Oh, sounds like it jumped timing.

*work work work*

*crank crank crank*

*crank crank* BOOM

Scared the poo poo out of and deafened me from two bays over and brought everybody into the shop, even the store guys.

Oh my god that happened to me and I was standing right next to it. It was in a bay like that at the emissions station with cement block walls and floor. I went deaf for 10 minutes or so and I'm sure I lost some hearing permanently from that. It was so much louder than any gun I've ever heard.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Armacham posted:

I have still not used it a single time

Hand in your man card, right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

That reminds me of my fender incident with this old Honda scooter I had. I was driving somewhere at night and I started hearing a buzzing noise in the front. I was close to my destination so I was gonna see what it was when I got there. Not 2 seconds after I had that thought the front tire locked up and I went flying. Turns out the fender was working its way forward and that made the bolts holding it on rub on the tire until it caught and stopped it dead. I face planted on the sidewalk.