Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Slavvy posted:

I find it hilarious how people run around criticising soviet tanks for lack of crew safety and other stuff like that but somehow 1 in 4 chance of death from using the death prevention device is totally ok.

On the other hand, riding a jet into terrain at any speed is ~ a 1 in 1 chance of death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

ReelBigLizard posted:

Apparently there isn't. I saw a documentary which looked into it and they couldn't find any evidence of such laws anywhere. It's usually corporate policy, made under the false assertion that such laws exist.

Yeah, there's a higher-end fast food place that I eat at occasionally called Pret a Manger that donates their unused food every day to charities that distribute it to the needy. A really nice move on their part in my opinion.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

xzzy posted:

And why not make the cruise ship out of whatever they make the lifeboats out of? Bunch of dummies!

Why not just attach huge helium balloons to the ship to keep it from sinking? In fact, design the ship so that it can fly through the air! An air-ship!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

kastein posted:

You guys are being obnoxious

And no I didn't report this or anything else, for those who apparently care hard enough to think I did and shall go unnamed

Also, apparently the GAWR of a 6 lug semifloat chevy rearend is "less than that"

poo poo, was this you hauling construction supplies?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Raluek posted:

I just thought the whole deal with fluid ounces was that, when the fluid was water, they weighed an ounce. I guess not? :shobon:

Water has just become heavier over time.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

`Nemesis posted:

Another view

"The Little Engine Who Couldn't Because He Was A Lazy Bum Like Your Father".

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

kastein posted:

I'll shank you

Not quite. Most parts retain their existing fastener type and size until they are phased out, and/or are chosen by whatever company designed that particular part of the car. Which is why you get weird poo poo like:
- on a jeep 4.0L, every single bolt threaded into the block itself is SAE, because it was an ancient 258ci i6 dimensionally on the outside. But every single bolt threaded into the intake manifold is metric because it was redesigned in the 80s for the new motor. Except for the pipe threads, those are NPT because we're in America god damnit we don't want none of your loving BSP or metric straight thread + O-ring nonsense.
- all the bolts holding the bellhousing to the engine are SAE because again, it's designed to fit where a 258 did, EXCEPT the two crank position sensor mounting bolts which are metric (and have an 11mm head!) because that was introduced with the EFI system at the same time as the new intake manifold etc.
- the bolt that goes through the starter into the bellhousing is SAE, because the bellhousing pattern is again, the same, and SAE, BUT the bolt that goes the other way through the bellhousing into the starter is metric, because they introduced a new starter at the same time and it was made by Nippon-Denso so it's metric.
- the studs that hold the (metric-native, designed in the 80s by New Venture Gear) transfer case to the (metric native, designed in the 80s by Aisin Warner) transmission are all SAE, because the pattern was pre-existing and each side of it was designed to be compatible with earlier components.
- All the body hardware is metric EXCEPT the things (like fuel tank J-bolts, connector hold-down bolts, and selftapping sheetmetal screws) that were borrowed from existing products or were standard hardware purchased in the states for assembly and were therefore cheaper to get in SAE than metric.
- all the nuts and bolts in the axle assemblies are SAE because they were existing legacy Dana/Spicer designs from previous decades, except the suspension link hardware and anything related to the calipers and unit bearings, which were new designs and thus metric.
- the steering box has SAE bolts holding it to the frame, a metric pinch bolt keeping the steering column shaft hooked to it, metric O-ringed hydraulic fittings, and an SAE thread on the sector shaft to the pitman arm, because it was designed by GM to work with existing chassis parts, but new body and powertrain equipment.

I think my favorites are the two starter bolts and the tcase to tranny pattern. They really throw people off.

Seriously? That's hosed. I've never seen GM do that (sure seems like they stick with metric for everything I've worked on except SBC stuff), but Ford I wouldn't be surprised by. The Rover hermaphroditic bolts amuse me every time you mention them.

As for horrible failures, here's a 1/4" wall frame rail after a friend's flywheel exploded and went right through the bellhousing, since it was just cast aluminum:

Front of transmission:

Clutch and transmission input shaft:

Everything else:

looking up from under the truck before the engine was pulled: (if you look up from where the flywheel should be, you will see the clutch disc and what's left of the pressure plate!)

Aftermath in the engine compartment: (hi again, clutch disc)

Total damage list:
engine block
crank
bellhousing
input shaft of transmission
everything inside the bellhousing
exhaust
fuel lines
brake lines
frame rail
a 40" offroad tire
the impact at the front of the transmission was so severe that it broke the transmission tailhousing in between the trans and the transfer case, at the back of the transmission
wiring harness
firewall
the DBW throttle pedal

oh and a big chunk of the flywheel hit the asphalt so hard it was embedded 2" deep.

Most concerningly, it set the leaking fuel on fire and destroyed the throttle pedal while he had it floored, wearing only tennis shoes. He walked away without a scratch.

When he rebuilt it, he put an SFI rated blowproof spun steel bellhousing in for some odd reason.

OK, so what was your friend doing that made this happen? Also, why rebuild? Is there something special about the body? Perhaps it's just me not being a mechanic, but if that happened to me, I'd scream for about an hour straight, then scrap it ASAP.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Godholio posted:

It's all fun and games until you have to avoid the idiot that's texting, then the tail wags the dog and you roll over and your insurance denies your damage and bodily injury claims due to negligent operation.

Guess it's time for a classic video of the towing genre:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyXgMal3C1U

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

djhaloeight posted:

Speaking of lugs (and studs too!) being AWOL:

Bobcat at work this morning. Guy went to top up oil etc, went to drive off and the wheel fell off. Sheared all the studs right off.

Did he fill it up with... heavy weight oil?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Note the guy doing a slow jog toward the remains: he figured that half a lope was better than none.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Fermented Tinal posted:

Yeah, but when you buy the whole animal, beef is only like $1/lb.

Yeah, but then you have to take the animal out back and Glock it, and all the rest, and...it gets complicated.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

kastein posted:

Yep, that's the big six bolt pattern from 2.5 ton rockwells not the little one from yota and half ton chevy/FSJ axles. He probably snapped the kingpins or knuckles, that happens when you abuse those axles too much.

As for ripping off the chassis... time to find a YouTube video :banjo:

E:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHlS7OPkTkU

Description and video are both premium sister-fucker content. I will never understand mud bogging in big hackjob trucks with hackjob lifts a foot taller than they need to be.

OK, dumb question: in all this retarded 'mud bogging', those trucks are so high up that I don't see how the motive power gets from the engine to the axles / wheels. Someone clue me in? I don't see (or maybe don't recognize) the usual drivetrain in the video.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

slothrop posted:

Walked into my mechanic a couple of months back, he's my bosses brother so I kinda trust him. We saw a couple of huge slicks sitting in ther corner, I asked him about them. Turns out they aren't slicks, they came off the back of an X5. The owner so was shocked that 335 35 r20 (?) cost HEAPS even when you buy lovely Chinese knock offs she balked at replacing them. She was failed on local inspection and had to replace them. Imagine her repsonse when he suggested the fronts were also terrible and they needed replacing too...

I think someone on these forums explained it prety well - An X5 is an aspirational car and now people who are wrapped up in "I own a BMW X5" can own one for cheap. They just don't understand that the luxury car that makes them look like they own the world on the school run comes with high service costs.

People mock me for my 20002 grandma Corolla. Guess what, I can afford it. And the service costs.

ed: Party like it's 19999!

How did you bring it back from the future? Have they solved war, poverty, and SJWs in the 200th century?
ed: Party like it's 19999!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Nice follow-up pictures.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/three-tonne-tyre-suddenly-explodes-10333725

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Mother Ukraine

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3760335/He-s-having-bad-Dae-woo-Motorist-s-miraculous-escape-driving-hole-cliff-65ft-drop-sea.html

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Nice carbecue

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Saw this in the OSHA thread and thought of folks here. Hopefully it didn't come from here.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Midjack posted:

I'm... actually I'm everything in this video but I'm especially the driver's side windshield wiper.

I'm the hydraulic lift honking like a sad Canada goose.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

The Door Frame posted:

Do you have to have any CAD skills to use a 3D printer? I've always been fascinated by them

If you're in Dayton, OH, just go to a bar.
https://www.protobuildbar.com/

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Dave Inc. posted:

Oh poo poo I just got it. This is brilliant.

It's a pretty slick ad.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Wanna see that lathe that can hold a 500 lb part

And what uses are there for a 500lb ball of inconel anyways?

Not around anymore, but...

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

um excuse me posted:

Definitely not why.

*Reads an email about a Boomer retiring after 54 years in a single job*

There was a supervisor at my work that retired a year ago with 58 years in the government. She was 80 and a total bitch her whole life.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Powershift posted:

started laughing hysterically when it clicked

At least it's not a station wagon with a dog leash and collar tied to it...

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

That's quite a Car-B-Que

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
https://i.imgur.com/mrP1w45.mp4

It's obvious what happened here.
The vehicle had some gas

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Pham Nuwen posted:

always makes me think of this gif:

excellent post / avatar agreement

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

BloodBag posted:

E2: Once I was done, the parts would get autofrettaged.

Read this as "autofrottaged" and was momentarily shocked at such kink.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Just warn the neighbors that you're spraying for mosquitoes.

Incidentally, Seafoam will to a fantastic job of driving off mosquitoes.

Does it help your engine like videos claim it does?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

StormDrain posted:

Could you imagine trying to wear a flip flop if it was permanently split like that?

He'd need a custom Tabi sock, I'll tell you what.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
So a person is driving a truck in Florida, and the truck is driving straight along the highway but the body is at an angle to the line of travel. What causes poo poo like this? The vehicle doesn't look bent in some weird non-euclidian way.
https://www.newsflare.com/video/353685/how-is-he-driving-florida-motorist-spots-diagonal-facing-vehicle-driving-down-highway

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Thanks for the replies, I learned a lot!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

LifeSunDeath posted:

wish they would bring back trucks like that, esp ones with the side loading ramp:

SEKCobra posted:

Ok, that is baller as gently caress.
I would drive that without a hint of irony or shame in my heart.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

That's amazing. I would sneer at my neighbors as I cut my grass with that.

Ed: A guy called Jeep2003 made it, he seems to have some really amazing stuff on his channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_jWh_ADNe4KmJTQprRPseg

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 11, 2020

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Godholio posted:

What is going on here?

Gwyneth Paltrow wants you to put this in your vagina

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Darchangel posted:

That is some really satisfying schadenfreude.

As always: almost every car has 4 wheels, all of the brake, and two of them steer. Please, pray tell, let me know why your "4x4" can stop and steer better, once you've achieved ludicrous speed in a blizzard?

A former supervisor of mine used to say, "It doesn't matter how many wheels your car drives with if you're naturally stupid to start out."

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
X-post from PYF:

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qlnp2i7TsD1r0uzl6.mp4

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
I remember seeing a video like that, the guy seemed clueless

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

tactlessbastard posted:

I wonder if Australia has a cannonball run.

I don't know, but it looks like Petite Martinique maybe has a cannonball crawl

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
X-post from PYF Tasteless Tattoos:

Memento posted:

I've been stealing these from Just Rolled Into The Shop

Caption: Is there a possibly I am pegrent?

So is this just a case where old age caused the hose to deform, or does it indicate a blockage somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Space Gopher posted:

Probably old age, maybe abuse or a manufacturing defect.

Radiator hoses are basically made in three layers, a bit like tires: an water/air-tight inner liner, a structured carcass that supports the hose against internal pressure, and an outer protective layer. If the inner layer is compromised because of old age, abuse, or a defect, then pressurized coolant will work its way through the reinforced carcass and create a bubble under the outer protective layer. That outer layer isn't really designed to hold pressure, so it'll eventually burst, but in the mean time you see that huge swollen bubble.

Thank you!