Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
From the OSHA thread, but it's more a mechanical issue:

https://i.imgur.com/h0t6Knp.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Wait for it...

https://i.imgur.com/pj4dcmf.mp4

I bet it was a 10mm wrench, right?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Platystemon posted:

https://www.csparks.com/watchmaking/CycloidalGears/RichardThoen.xhtml

quote:

The "big wheels" at (Picatinny Arsenal) were adamant and would not permit deviations from the drawings of that era, 1940. They maintained that these gears had been made before so why couldn't Kodak make them? Of course they had, with non-generating milling cutters. We had a war to win and wanted to mass produce these items (with conventional generating cutters) . ... Millions of dollars could have been saved and much better fuses been made if it had not been for the asinine, arbitrary decisions of those who didn't know the "score."

At one time I spent 300 hours making enlarged metal templates of the diverse gears in the FM45 train . ...My tooth form was completely interchangeable with... the existing cycloid. Came the day when the fuse Committee met at Kodak for a regional conference, which occurred bimonthly. They came to my department -- the whole galaxy of "brains." I showed them my templates mounted on a big board about 5 x 10 feet. ...The brown plastic templates were cycloids and the steel ones involute. They toyed with these templates for a few minutes, ...and then walked away nonchalantly. My heart sank. George Ensign, Master Mechanic at Elgin National Watch, stayed behind ... and really got into the problem. ...When he left he said, "Lou, I am sorry for you, but what can you do with those S.O.B.'s? They might as well be working for Hitler."

Sounds like the hidebound bureaucracy of DoD

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Darchangel posted:

Delicious.

Unrelated, but related presumably to the wording on the side of the car, MAN, I sure do love me some folks moaning about "are freedums" while simultaneously rejecting the notion that those freedoms do not include being free of the consequences of their actions or decisions. That's what they really mean by "their freedoms". That one's not in the Constitution, chucklefuck. Or reality.

Yeah, every time I hear about "muh freedums" or "cancel culture", I want to shake people and tell them that it's called "responsibility culture". You can say what you want, within limits, but the net of responsibility for your words and actions spreads very wide indeed.