Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
You guys know that you can buy wire testers that will do that? Implanting magnets in your fingers isn't the most efficient way to get the job done.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-Non-Contact-Voltage-Tester-NCVT-1SEN/100661787

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Or if the light comes on you could just go and have a look at your pads.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

rndmnmbr posted:

IIRC the "cloth" was asbestos, so I hope that squirrel enjoyed it's mesothelioma.

IIRC Asbestos is harmless when ingested. It's the breathing it into the lungs that gets you.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Why does a stock, modern car need a vacuum pump?

http://www.bmwforums.info/general-guides-and-how-to-s/4638-bmw-valvetronic.html

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
All VAG products still have 12 year unlimited mileage warranties against rust though. Some carmakers still care about longevity.

http://www.vw.ca/en/owners/about_your_volkswagen/warranties.html

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Kidney Stone posted:

Well, he's got some other nice cars in his garage...

A 1996 Maserati Ghibli GT, a 1977 Ferrari 308 GTB Carburettor, a Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano HGTE, and a 2000 Maserati 3200 GT.

Other than the 599 all those are like $15-$20k cars.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

8ender posted:

Why not buy a Mazda 2 in Canada and take advantage of our lovely exchange rate?

The Mazda 2 isn't sold in Canada either, although I was surprised to learn that there's still a 2016 Mazda5.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
120 accidents and 30 injuries from people running over themselves because their Chrysler gearshift is too confusing.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/autos/u-s-investigators-find-fiat-chrysler-gear-shifters-confusing-1.2768952

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The gearshit that confused me was the Suzuki Lianos/Chevy/Daewoo Lacetti/Buick Excelle from the old Top Gear star in a reasonably priced car, on the AUTOMATIC, you have to press down on the shifter to push it past N to P or R on the PRNDL. This is so that you don't...confuse down for up and accidentally throw it in P when you want L2? Boy those were the best cars to rent with no one to tell you how the shifter works I tell you what

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Kind of amusing that it only affected the beige interiors? Could you even get them in any other color?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Why would any kind of environmental dust gather only on the cam gears and nowhere else? Cam gears aren't even really exposed to the environment, they have covers. And why would it only gather in side the timing mechanism of VWs?

I mean it would seem to me the simplest explanation would be that VW has hosed something up in their process of designing and building cars, but that's pretty implausible isn't it?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

totalnewbie posted:

Wait until GPFs become common.

And urea injection too since high compression DI gas engines are going to run into NOx emission limits.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I wish the EPA would ban Australians from posting on car forums.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

The Door Frame posted:

I understand economic pressures, but why buy a discount utility car built to only meet import standards and nothing else? Just buy a year or two older Honda or Ford or whoever makes even uglier Subaru BRATs

You jest, but with a few years of research, it might produce enough thrust to get its own fuel supply into the air

This is why developed car markets will never sell a super cheap bare bones car, generally (I mean unless you are mitsubishi and have literally nothing else to sell), because there's really no market for it. People who want cheap cars will just buy a used real car. They're never going to start selling new 1993 Ford Rangers again guys.

It's amusing how a lot of the commentary on Chinese products seem to miss the forest for the trees. "Every piece of poo poo I ever bought that somehow was 1/10th the cost of the item that I probably should have bought has been made in China therefore everything made in China is poo poo".

Why not turn it around - "Suppose there is a huge insatiable market in this place called "America" for absolutely bottom of the barrel junk that sells for a couple of bucks, and clearly there is because here we are talking about it, where would I make the products that will satisfy this market? Switzerland?".

All of Apple's poo poo is made in China, and while I don't like them, they are undoubtedly well built with good workmanship. Whatever problems Apple products have originate in Cupertino, not China. You can buy a fake Apple product for 1/10th the cost too, and it too will be built in China. If you're constantly on the search for Apple products at 1/10th the cost, well I don't know what you expect.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
VW buys stake in Navistar

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The last year they made that body style was like 2006.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
If the DI carbon thing is really as serious as VW apologists claim then we should be hearing a lot about carbon buildup on Hyundai/Kia, GM, Mazda(skyactiv) and Honda DI engines, none of which use secondary injectors.

What's more likely, that all these other companies that sell many times more DI engined cars than VW does are wrong and somehow there has been no public outcry? Or that VW is just bad at making engines?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

FuzzKill posted:

drat, first time I've heard of that. Sounds like they put a non-vented battery in its place to save a few bucks or possibly worse some shop/store did it and/or didn't hook up the vent hoses.

If the only thing stopping the car from murdering its occupants with H2S is lack of a vent hose on the battery that's pretty terrifying.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I actually really like the taste and mouth feel of UHT milk.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

If I actually drink milk, I'm going to be chained to the toilet for the next day or so.

I can handle it as an ingredient, and can even handle a bowl of cereal, but actually drinking a glass of milk makes my digestive system go into "gently caress you and die" mode. A smoothie makes me gassy as hell for a bit, but I'm not making GBS threads myself with them.

Somehow Winco only charges a little over $1 for a gallon, while even Wal-Mart is around $3. Guessing they're selling it as a loss leader..

I'll probably go through a bit more milk once I get a blender again and start making my own smoothies. But for now I pretty much only use it for cereal, oatmeal, coffee, and I add it to scrambled eggs before I cook them.

Generic Lactase pills are like $5 for a bottle of 60 at walmart, if you enjoy milk products it's an acceptable expense I think.

Another thing that is common where I come from is making yogurt at home, you can buy a yogurt maker for not much money - it's essentially just a hot plate set to just be mildly warm and then turn all your excess milk into straight unflavored yogurt or you can strain it into greek yogurt too. It's filling and good for your digestion.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
New set of cheating software discovered in VWs.

http://www.autonews.com/article/201...ng+News+Feed%29

quote:

FRANKFURT -- A U.S. regulator found software in some Audi vehicles that lowered their carbon dioxide emissions if it detected they were being used under test conditions, Bild am Sonntag reported.

The California Air Resources Board discovered the software in an automatic transmission Audi last summer, the German weekly newspaper said, without citing any sources.

CARB had no immediate comment and Audi was not immediately available for comment on Sunday's Bild am Sonntag report.

The paper said the device, which was not the same as the one behind last year's diesel emissions violations at Audi parent Volkswagen, was also used in diesel and gasoline-powered cars in Europe.

VW's admission that it had installed software that deactivated pollution controls on more than 11 million diesel vehicles sold worldwide, triggered the deepest business crisis in the German carmaker's history.

Audi, the main contributor to VW group profit, has also admitted its 3.0- liter V-6 diesel engine was fitted with emissions-control software.

Bild am Sonntag said the software discovered by CARB, which was installed in vehicles with certain automatic transmissions, detected whether a car's steering wheel was turned.

If it was not, indicating laboratory testing conditions, the software turned on a gear-shifting program which produced less carbon dioxide than in normal road driving. If the wheel was turned in any direction by more than 15 degrees, the program was switched off, the paper said.

Audi stopped using the software in May 2016, just before CARB discovered the manipulation in an older model, the paper said, adding that the carmaker had suspended several engineers in connection with the matter.

Bild am Sonntag said a spokesman for Audi had declined to comment, citing ongoing talks with U.S. and California regulators on a proposed fix for cars with 3.0-liter engines.

SO basically it sounds like the transmission loaded a different shift program if it detects no steering angle, like on a test dyno. Not the same thing as the diesel cheat which concerned NOx emissions, this one would just be for fuel economy (i.e. CO2 emissions), it's not clear if it neccesarily violates any laws.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
That Porsche Exclusive program will do anything these days.

EDIT: OTher than a manual transmission

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Cojawfee posted:

A friction jack seems perfectly reasonable in a world where the gas tank goes directly under the driver and navigator.

That's not really a bad place for the gas tank to go, the Honda Fit has it in the same place. It's better than having it somewhere closer to the edge where an impact will cause it to explode.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I read gud

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
It's a probably a wrap?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Wasn't one of the truck posters here complaining about GM and rust? Sometimes the mounts rust and then your cab falls off.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

astropika posted:

I was surprised to find that there are no publicly available porsche 911 crash test videos, I was wondering how the frunk functioned at a crumple zone.

I looked on https://www.nhtsa.gov/ratings and porsche is 25 pages of "Not Rated". So I guess crash testing isn't mandatory for US legality?

There are some standards, like cars have to have horns and wipers and certain colored brake lights and whatever and there's some requirements about safety, but the star rating system on the NHTSA website is purely voluntary and has nothing to do with whether a car can be sold, you can sell a car with zero start crash test ratings, and companies like Porsche and Land Rover never actually submit any testing.

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

What happens to them after the reviewer is done? Is there a way for the public to buy one? Sounds like a great way to get a nice car for a nice price...

Well they could be used for crash testing.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Sagebrush posted:

Do they have to submit testing to the ECE or whatever the European equivalent of the NHTSA is called?

I'm sure they have to submit to some testing and achieve a minimal standard but again the "star" rating system isn't part of that. All those Chinese cars (Brilliance BS6, etc) that got zero star ratings were still sold in Europe. The Chinese maker I don't think initially even participated in any of them, those tests were actually done by private organizations just to poo poo on Chinese cars. There's nothing telling us a Land Rover Disco from the same time would have gotten more than 0 stars either because participation in that scheme is voluntary.

All the interviews and writings I've read by Bob Lutz (who ran both European and American carmakers) says that the EU regulatory system is far more corrupt and in bed with the industry, especially the German camakers, than the US government is. Just look up some stories on how they do fuel economy tests, which came into the spotlight in the wake of dieselgate, itself a pretty glaring symptom.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Goober Peas posted:

Just because we like to dog on Dexcool - I'd like to offer the below article as a counterpoint. Author does a nice job of concisely laying out the issues, and aligns with just about every Google on DexCool.

http://ricksfreeautorepairadvice.com/is-dexcool-bad/

The only thing he misses on: He calls out the 3.1/3.4 engines correctly, but misses the 3.8.

It's a good read and should stir interesting conversation.

I think the 3.8 might have been a different problem to do with the EGR pipe "cooking" the plastic around the upper IM gasket, which also caused a coolant leak but maybe wasn't due to any coolant interaction?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
A British car with shoddy build quality? Well I never

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

IOwnCalculus posted:

Seems like you'd also be trading the efficiency in the trans for less efficiency in the final drive, and then you also need to have crazy stump pulling ratios in the low gears.

On top of that, it's not like manuals are the target of ongoing mileage gains anyway. Automatics don't really have the same mode of operation. Things like auto stop/start that are easier on automatics would have a larger real world return.

Auto start stop is actually easier on manuals and hence why the early systems were only available on (European)manuals and dual clutch boxes - it's easy to make the engine start and stop in the glacial amount of time it takes a human to clutch in and shift into 1st gear. Meanwhile early torque converter autos had difficulties becuase they relied on the idling engine to keep the trans fluid circulating.

On that topic, the new Toyota CVTs are actually 2 speed transmissions, with a fixed 1st gear for launches and a 2nd gear that is the CVT belt/pulley system, that way you get more responsive launches and a wider gear ratio spread. Odd how no one thought of that before.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/m-MLyKjYqSw

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The new Wrangler's front axle is attached to the frame with booger welds and they are failing.

https://jalopnik.com/new-jeep-wrangler-frame-welds-are-failing-and-now-fca-i-1829551649

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
All the *good* engines BMW ever made used traditional throttles. Coincidence?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Yeah I don't think my 200 came with a cabin filter from the factory either, it was only on the higher trims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
S600 and all SLs except the V6 had ABC too.