Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I've only used a MIG welder. I've never seen anything like that. MIG is easy, it's like a hot glue gun for metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
My volvo 240 told me the motor mounts were broken by no being able to move the shift lever, didn't even have to look at them.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

I guess that's one way to do... something.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Beats me, I just saw it in the neighbor's driveway while walking the dog. The driver's side has a donut on, maybe they blew out both tires somehow and don't know how to use a jack/it's broken. Our neighborhood is decently friendly, I would've lent them some jack stands. Is it going to break anything sitting on the drum?

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
That's from some undeveloped country where industrial goods are hard to come by and guys sit on the corner welding with car batteries, right?

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Re:T hat Mazda I posted was back on the road the next day with normal wheels, so I guess it didn't hurt anything.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Just sharing this from the D&D picture thread. I think there's still something fuzzy left down at the bottom.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Imagine being a passenger at the next station when gore-train pulls up...

:catstare:

I was on a train that killed 3 people, they didn't let us off to go look at it though. We were stopped for four or five hours outside of New Orleans while they hosed it off. Some dip-poo poo with his kids tried to beat the train through an un-controlled crossing. Still made it to Chicago on-time, somehow.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
How do you weld that bad? Is he using the wrong equipment for what he's doing or not prepping it or what? I haven't welded much, but using a mig welder is almost like using a glue gun.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Geirskogul posted:

Real men use propylene glycol coolant, because real men have dogges and cattes they don't want to accidentally kill.

420 vape PG e-cigarette "smoke" everyday.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Colonel Sanders posted:

At least it's named right. . . I'm not quite sure if I would feel safe using this thing or not. Video filmed at four frames per second.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E4GmFX3Puo

Well, it has some safety features, unlike the first one posted. Looks like it makes a big mess though.

What is wrong with hydraulics? Couldn't you use a little engine like that to pump some hydraulic fluid through broken down excavator parts bought at the junk yard? Too complicated than welding an axe head to a big wheel?

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

jammyozzy posted:

I guess this poor rim wasn't up to having my fat arse coming crashing down on top of it. :(

Secondary failure pictured: awfully fitted garage door that lets leaves blow in under it.

Double walled rims and more important: properly tensioned spokes means a 500 lb man can ride on that poo poo with no problem.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

kastein posted:

Keping with this thread, here are some MOSFETs that have shuffled off their mortal coil; entered the great conduction zone above; etc.

I have one of those:

It's from a Chinese designed e-cigarette-which is basically a thing that pulls between 3.7 and 6v out of a 18650 battery. This failed because the previous owner decided to keep turning a screw, which didn't tighten the screw any more, but it did twist the assembly that it was in. This twisting turned the positive connection wire (that goes to the load/atomizer where you vape) into a ball of spaghetti. This tight ball of 20 awg wire ended up resting against this poor little chip. After running 10 amps through the wire many times, the chip finally melted.

I was hoping to fix it, but it has no markings and the mfg wouln't tell me what it is. I'd prob. gently caress up trying to solder something that small anyways.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Slavvy posted:

How do you get an e-cigarette with a previous owner? Like, what is the used market for e-cigs like?

Bustling. I simplified it by just calling it an 'e-cigarette.' It's actually a 'regulated box mod." It's a battery in a box with a voltage regulator you can adjust. There are thousands of different kinds of mods. Some are basic unregulated tubes-you press a button and it makes a circuit, some are regulated like the one this chip came out of. Almost all of them take high-drain 3.7v 18xxx batteries. They can cost $10 straight from china or $400 because there is a whole boutique industry around (like most hobbies.)

There are also throw-away e-cigs you can buy at gas stations, and slightly larger re-usables that comes with 14xxx batteries-which is what you might think of when you say ecigs.

There are other great mechanical failures with ecigs: If you're dumb and use batteries with the wrong chemistry and pull too much current from them they can explode.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Slavvy posted:

What the gently caress is happening in that first picture? It looks like iron man exploded.

I'm guessing it's the detcord igniting right before a big ol explosion.

Here's some pics for those who don't Reddit:

unbuttonedclone fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 23, 2014

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Ringo Star Get posted:

Make sure you let your neighbors know what pure doing with the tire. My S-10 years ago got a bulge that I didn't know about and after parking it I guess my sudden weight shift of getting out must have popped it. The noise was incredible and the police came by (the department was down the road) thinking I shot a gun off.

What I'm saying is shoot it with a gun and then if the cops ask say it was the tire popping.

I was riding my bicycle once with a worn out old tire. Right as I passed some teenager on a BMX bike the tube slipped out and exploded— which isn't probably as loud as a care tire, but it's still loving loud. Poor kid got off his bike and started walking because he thought his tire blew up.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

spog posted:

That's frightening.

Even more frightening is that there are appears to be a fetish channel for girls failing to start cars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8keJXjguM0

Hadn't heard of that, but stuck cars has been around for awhile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA2YvVPpDNc

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
The Guy who posted that on Reddit said parts aren't too hard to find, but its cheaper a lot the time just to make new ones.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

nmfree posted:

Not a mechanical failure, per se, but a failure nonetheless.

Why the self-serve American junkyard is dying

Perhaps because you can buy brand new Chinese made parts for less than junk yards are charging for the same part.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I had a bird print on my motorcycle helmet for awhile. Felt like getting hit in the head with a softball. People that don't wear helmets are mechanical failures. I woulda had a tumble if I didn't.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I've put 4000 miles on my $700 95 Taurus. It hasn't broken down yet. :colbert:

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I saw a guy in a 00's Cadillac CTS with like a 1 inch tree in his trunk yesterday. He had his hazards on and kept pulling over to the side of the road to let people pass him because he was going like 20 mph. Part of the tree was dragging on the ground (and bouncing up and down, grinding the tree even more into the road.)

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Speaking of car keys, being able to stick a screwdriver behind the door handles on the 2nd gen Taurus to pop the locks is a great mechanical failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

New runflat technology seen at the gas station.