Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

orange lime posted:

I can't figure out how the piston (or whatever) seems to just...materialize in midair. There's a bang and then something appears to shoot out of the side of the gas tank, but there's no leaking gas or visible damage to the bike. It almost seems like it's just some random piece of the intake manifold or something that cracked off when the engine backfired/exploded.

Bingo. Some sort of backfire through the intakes because it was running nitrous (can't remember the specifics) that blew the airbox out and the tank off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Crank goes kaboom!

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
GSX1100. Happened flat at as well (probably pushing 250km/h).

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

IOwnCalculus posted:

Jesus. I imagine the rider's nomex underwear came back browner than before, too.

I imagine so. If bike racers wore nomex underwear.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sponge! posted:

If I had nearly 200 angry HP between my thighs I certainly would.

Or you could just do what racers do when the bike catches fire. Bail.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Throatwarbler posted:

There is literally no automotive problem big enough that the LS1/T56 cannot fix. :911:

Can you please stop using that lovely image hosting? Use Waffle or Tinypic or something.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
How the gently caress would that have happened?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MisterSparkle posted:

In the immortal words of my car buddy:

++Ignition -Fuel

Doesn't that punch a hole in the top though? Not in the skirt like that?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

trouser chili posted:

Under the hood is another hood. This one is harder to open.

Yo Da- No. No, I won't do it.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Less yappy, more bangy.

KABOOM!

Note please, the two objects near his boots. Yes, they're what you think they are.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

D C posted:

As of like last year, and I cant say I've ever seen one on the road.

You probably have, they don't really look that different from the ordinary "sports-pack" Lancers.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hooooooly poo poo. Would that have gradually crushed in, or just collapsed suddenly?

(Please say the latter)

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hmmm, there's something not quite right about this photo...

Hey, maybe this video will explain it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMN_ydMcvvo

Ah, all is revealed.

The bike. What the builder has said happened:

quote:

Ok so here's what happened. Lack of oil pressure due to the scotts reusable oil filter trying to suck itself inside out. I did an oil change the night before the & found a little bit of poo poo in the filter when I opened it up. Said the famous last words "She'll be right",as I was planing to pull the motor down after the dyno day anyway, to replace a worn output shaft.
I rode to the Explosive Racing (fitting) Dyno day (45min ride) & all seemed nice & smooth so I thought I'll stick it on the dyno & see how we go.
Did a few pulls & it was down on power, on the last one after taking longer than usual to rev out it went pop......& the fireball ensued. The vid that CC posted is the cut down version, hopefully they'll post the full version soon.
Anyway pulled the motor down today & this is what I found.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
That was a loving turbo?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Any impact damage on the suspension links? Might have hit some debris on the road?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Turns out Jude Law is a machinist.

:psyduck:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Beast Pussy posted:

that thing was in an old corolla? naaaaaasty

Do Americans not run <10sec passes in tiny old Japanese econoboxes?

Also, I want to know more about the Kingo wagon in the other vid on his page.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Throatwarbler posted:

The F-150 Raptor apparently isn't as sturdy as its made out to be.

Found On Road Dead am i rite? :haw:

http://raptorforumz.com/showthread.php?t=14208
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f39/houston-we-have-problem-bent-frame-thread-3103/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vuuUSUmwP8

I would've thought that big impacts from jumps etc etc taking up all the travel would bend the middle down, not up.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Shroomie posted:

Not my picture, but how in the gently caress does this even happen?

It's certainly an interesting situation when the tyre is holding the wheel together.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'd put good money on Ford having wrecked a few Raptors in testing with poo poo breaking and decided to engineer some give into the frame and deal with the flak with some bending, rather than getting sued endlessly when morons roll their trucks jumping at 100mph and something actually completely breaks.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

McDeth posted:

Apparently he was taking a swig out of his coffee while cresting a slight hill on a freeway on-ramp. CalTrans had just installed a brand new metering light (this was the first day it was up and running) and the car in front of him had just got the green when he cleared the crest.

Tell your friend he's a poo poo driver and a danger to everyone on the road in that truck.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

einTier posted:

I'm still assessing options.

Send it here for fun and games?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

some texas redneck posted:

Bet that made a nice noise.

:stare:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Brake failure chat reminds me of the aftermath of one I came across a week or so ago. Pulled up to a red light on the bike, put my foot down and nearly slipped over after I put foot down on what was clearly the backing plate for a brake pad :stare: I don't even want to imagine how bad the brakes must've been for the plate to actually fall out on the road whilst stopping.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

KozmoNaut posted:

Voting CBR1100XX Super Blackbird engine, 140hp should make that little car hustle along pretty well. Alternately a 929 or 954 engine if you can find them would give you 150hp.

I'd go 'Busa myself. It's the kit-car-bike-engine of choice, and you can hack and re-program/re-map the standard ECU, unlike a Blackbird motor.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Related: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnJdEFigY2I

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

:krad:DOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRIIFTOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooohshite

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Blammo http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vxeIFoDRub8

e: "Hmmmm, there was a bang and a whole shitload of fire came out of that hole. Yes, I should definitely stick my head in there."

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 8, 2012

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Pretty undramatic from the inside but pretty spectacular: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ST6FQV2GBIk

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Sideways into a concrete divider/median/barrier.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

General_Failure posted:

Cynical, maybe. But they are as crooked as they come too. That reminds me, did the soulless ginger bitch actually get her pay rise through? If so, then she is pulling in more than Obama. I guess if I were a puppet positioned to be at the focal point of a nation worth of hatred I'd want a good pay packet too.

Trap sprung, LNP supporter spotted.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Delivery McGee posted:

My friend has a Honda Civic, and is from a mountainous area, so she reflexively puts the parking brake on every time she switches off the ignition. It's rather useless and I've been trying to train her out of it, now that she's in northeast Texas. That loving car will not move with the handbrake on, as I discovered the first time I borrowed it.

Sounds like it isn't the handbrake that's useless.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Root Bear posted:

Is he buying wheels and tires on an installment plan? :confused:

:10bux: says they swapped the stockers on for burnout purposes. A common sight in :australia: is stupid "street machine" Falcons and Commodores wearing massive 20"s on the front and 15" steelies in the rear for smoking.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Das Volk posted:

I can't count how many parts are YOSHI HASHI KURO KATANA MIYAGI BAKA JDM DESIGN that come straight out of the loving valley.

Yoshimura have been in the USA for 40 years though, slightly different situation.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Flipped over a wall: http://jalopnik.com/5909629/this-is-what-happens-when-you-roll-a-cadillac-over-a-wall

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Is that a home-theatre sub?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
"Will it start? Right, then I'm driving it."

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Sponge! posted:

I assume he's currently in an all expenses paid government run mental health institution, right?

Depends on what your opinion of Summernats is.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ola posted:

Haha yes! But do you think the gunk is broken down oil or simply the oil washing away built up deposits better? If the latter, things will probably start improving.

That was my thought as well, the Rotella might actually be working really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Aurune posted:

911 GT3 center lock failure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbE6OzjyVV0

Found that after a bit of googling. Came up after hearing about another incident where a wheel came off at 110 mph. The nut was intact and still had a part of the hub attached.

Scary

Someone didn't follow the wheel fitting process properly! http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2012/01/suspension-walkaround-supplement-porsche-center-lock-wheels.html