Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Near where I work there is a small auto repair shop. I hear an explosion so loud I run outside expecting the place to be engulfed in flames. Nope, just a couple guys standing around a mid 90s firebird scratching their heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Car runs but won't go into gear? I wonder what that could be... Clutch slave and master work, lets pull the trans!

Looks like a quality machining job on the flywheel, no run out at all.

Hooray for road racing. Don't know any of the back story on this one, just saw it by the dumpsters at Road America.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I got to go to the 25 hours of thunderhill this year and crew for Boothman Racing. I knew some of the drivers from the FFR series in the great lakes region but had never seen this particular car before.

We'll be racing this

We qualified 9th I think, and the start of the race went well. About 4 hours in the car won't go into gear. Pulling the trans shows us this.

Pop in a new clutch, send it back out, it seems like smooth sailing from here on. We've had our big failure for the race right? Dropped back to somewhere around 60th overall, and climb back to the top 30 through the night. Around 6am the driver gets on the radio and says "the cars on fire, I'm getting out". This was maybe 5 minutes after a stop, new driver and full fuel.

The race is red flagged and a couple minutes later a worker tells us the driver is ok. 25 minutes or so later, this is dragged in.

(pics from daytime because all the night ones I took sucked)

Another worker took a picture during the fire. They say they tried to put it out, had no effect, and waited for it to burn down first.

19 hours down, 6 to go. Inspecting what was left afterwards we found the front mounting points of the fuel cells straps had failed where they were welded in to the rest of the chassis. They had bumped the tank from 22 gallons to 32 if I remember correctly and didn't reinforce the mounting points. I believe this was it's 5th 25hr.

In car video from the start of that race. That channel has lots of good in car FFR action with no music too.
http://vimeo.com/33401052

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Savington posted:

I was the head mechanic for 949Racing/Supermiata (E2 winner/8th overall and E2 3rd place).

Congratulations! That's a fantastic finish for any team, much less a fresh one. Any chance I could get a copy of that video or a youtube link? I don't have PMs at the moment but if I need to I'll pick it up for this.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

This suspension setup really goes against the grain.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Did they bypass the stock filter or was that installed for no reason.

Edit: is that next to the fuel pump?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Jackie the Mick posted:

That's what I meant. The ball joint on the lower control arm. What I told the shop was "It's making a clunking sound when turning at low speeds and I suspect the Front Left LCA needs replaced.") Regardless, am I wrong in my diagnosis? I just don't have tons of experience with suspension components, but it seemed pretty straight forward.

It's leaking grease but that doesn't mean there is any play in it yet. You would have to jack it up and pull on a pry bar between the lca and knuckle to check.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Ola posted:

His improvised jack stand certainly was NSFW.

Thread title right there

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I figured he was referring to the spectators.

Spectators are self clearancing.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Now they get to run people over without it showing up on liveleak.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Lime Tonics posted:

Just a little play in the suspension.

Someone is scratching that trucks belly.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Lowest setting on my impact can bapbapbap forever and the torque wrench still turns the lugs to hit 85 ftlbs. Best of both worlds.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

The size of those wrenches is what kills me. 10-15mm seems like such an odd spread.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I think I've used the most weird size metric stuff in German cars. It's been a while though.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Fastener chat is the worst thread pitch I've ever heard.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Terrible Robot posted:

Come at me bro :colbert:

I did try repeating the same joke louder. I'm the shitposter.

:negative:

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I worked on a car once that had an injector resistor box spliced in by twisting the wire and then heat shrinking them. No solder or anything.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

First reaction was being angry and thinking hella flush had gone to far.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Fermented Tinal posted:

Horrible Mechanical Failures: Please Don't Sodomize Your Cat

How else would I get a stock looking test pipe?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Fuel:air air:seal?

It's not a flaw it's a feature. They automatically lower compression under high boost.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I was kind of expecting it to pull up to some staging lights.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

It's the soft line behind it...

Edit: no kink shaming

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I can see some insane fucker prepping a cnc machine, clamping themselves on the work table and starting it up as they lose conciousness from anaesthetic

God that's horrific to think about. Then I started thinking about work holding and what you would program. Then I thought about having it start with a part probe booping them on the nose to pickup z and lost my poo poo.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I also love the people who drain the last bit of coolant, way oil, cutting oil etc and then don't say a word to anyone. We have a guy to order that stuff, it takes 2 minutes to let him know we're out and problem solved.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Ground through a bearing will weld the balls to the race? Possible grease fire too?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Prescription Combs posted:

Crosspost from the Jeep thread.

My 'new' replacement engine after taking the valve cover off. :whitewater:

Were gonna need a young priest and an old priest.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

joat mon posted:

I think I need a new throwout bearing.

For sale, throwout bearing, very worn.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Is that an original Pollock?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

chrisgt posted:

Ditto to flaring a brake line without putting the flare nut on...

I just tried to throw a wrench after reading that. I don't even have a wrench near me.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Darchangel posted:

I just want to note that I love the contrast between your user name and your avatar.
(and I've done the stupid flare nut trick, too)

:3:

Best part is I got it from a drunken rant playing planetside with goons.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Breakfast Feud posted:

Sometimes you find an install just hanging on by a thread or maybe held together by some unholy spirit the installer had summoned and when you get it all good and proper it just can't handle the change.

Ask me about moped ignitions...

I can't guess how many times a new customer would show up, I'd take their car for a drive, stop in the parking lot without leaving it, and ask them how often they added brake fluid.

Every day.... They all dumped more brake fluid in it every day.

Replace a caliper, a line blows. Replace the line, another part starts to weep. Rust is like a fuse for pressure.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Sent a race car out with no gas. It took the green flag and coasted behind a worker station before turn two.

Spent an hour trying to start a car that had 2 out of 3 plugs in the ECU.

Got a newer Grand Prix fully strapped onto the dyno, wide band and sensors hooked up, rear wheels on the rollers. Customer walked out then and let me know it was fwd. I think it hurt his feelings as much as mine.

Multiple rwd dyno stalls due to ebrake. (I worked on a lot of Hondas ok)

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Not me but i worked on a 90 Integra some guy had bought for $500 with a b16 swap. Po never got it to run. New owner came to us, we were shop number 3 to take a crack at it. Hooked the ECU ground to the thermostat housing and had it idling a few minutes later.

My foreman at my current job bought a b16 swapped 90 civic for $500. The guy who did the swap gave up on it ever running right. Handed him cash, pulled out his pen knife, and trimmed the cracked bit of vacuum line going to the map sensor. Dude was pissed.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Beach Bum posted:

Regarding brake failures, this one will forever be my favorite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGuzVk0HTsU

That was amazing.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Wait till them kids in the Vostoks see these piiiiiiiiiiipes...

That's thread title poo poo there.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Ask me about the time my car got stolen and I had to pay for the parking ticket and towing of a stripped chassis.

(Don't ask I'll start hate posting)

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

eddiewalker posted:

Start with the go-kart build series. I think it’s the best over-all intro to Tony.

I prop up the iPad and make my 4yo watch “metal movies” any time a new ToT vid comes out.

I did this. It was awesome, thanks.

Rip free time for a bit though.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Chrysler makes Tesla look good. On the plus side, my ex/bff runs a Mopar dealer service shop, so he gets billable hours fixing all of Detroit's fuckups!

Also: "customer of the day: feuding with his neighbor; had half a tank of diesel last night; today he has a full tank and the fuel is foamy and after he started it the motor died. we are conducting experiments to see if we can figure out what exactly has been put in his tank"

Any ideas?

Horrible mechanical failures: Chrysler makes Tesla look good

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

We should show some resistance to this current trend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I don't think most people know what recirc is or what it does.