Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

blambert posted:

This is the best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuUya0fimmQ

This... this is a thing of beauty. Thank you for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

:downs:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Sockington posted:

250fwhp and a Mazda G-series FWD transmission;

Goodbye 3rd gear and the diff.
drat, now you make me fear my Protege. Thanks sock, I will now have terrible visions every time I take off from a stop sign.

\/\/Sup, mazdaspeed buddy! :hfive:\/\/

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Nov 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Sockington posted:

So here's how they fail;

1. Diff pin fails
a) To fix, weld diff pin and replace w/ a welded MSP diff or a mFactory one

2. Second or Third gear shreds to pieces (as pictured)
a) To fix, replace w/ expensive aftermarket set or swap in a new gear box

3. The power causes the aluminium case to flex between shifts as power is re-applied (second to third usually) and the shafts destroy their mounting points inside the transmission.
a)To fix this, a thick plate is machined to fit where the shafts meet the 1/4" aluminium mounting point on the transmission.

Or to fix all of this, you simply replace the G-series with a Toyota E-series from a FWD Solara or a AWD Celica (if you have an AWD BG chassis car.)
Would that E-series bolt into a Mazdaspeed (BJ chassis, 2.0 FS-DET engine)? I ask for possible options down the road, and to avoid ending up in this thread.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

N183CS posted:

C130's are loving strong machines.
Unless they're used for firefighting duty. :haw:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

:smith:

Now I feel bad.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

InterceptorV8 posted:

Don't.

I think if that didn't happen, he would have rigged it to happen.
Oh.

Well, if I'm not being an insensitive prick... I'm cool again! Drinks are on me!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

My mom got two office chairs from her old job in 1996, when I was 8.

I am sitting in one of them right now.

They were free.

:smug:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Crazed_Capybara_Rider posted:

This is how you break a transfer case

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

And your rear end

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

loving 2000 Durango. Shittiest thing I ever owned. I put a new rear end in, a new transfer case, and then the transmission blew. :argh:
:aaaaa:

From your tone, I'm assuming it wasn't modified in any way?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

rscott posted:

did you fill your radiator with nacho cheese or something

Looks like fondue to me.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

peepsalot posted:

A "High flow" cat after use. Sorry for blurry phone camera pic.

From what I've seen they all fall apart eventually, blocking up exhaust and causing poo poo performance.

That's just another reason to go full catless.

Shame they won't pass emissio... oh wait, I live in Florida!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well, I was driving along my merry way today, when upon shifting into second gear and applying throttle, I heard the most horrendous grinding noise coming from my transmission. Engine sounds fine in neutral, so I suspect my tranny may have poo poo the bed. Holding out hope that it's just a bad clutch, but I have a sinking feeling that my car may belong in this thread soon. :smithicide:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The car's a 2003 Mazdaspeed Protege. I believe it has a mechanical clutch. The thing is, it seemed to be actuating the clutch just fine; I had no problems getting into gear. Once in gear, though, it wouldn't hold any power above idle.

I got it towed to the nearby dealership where some of my class buddies work, they should be removing the transmission about now to see what's going on.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

some texas redneck posted:

Pretty tame, but I don't think I've ever had a motor mount do this before.

My car is no longer a 4 wheeled vibrator.

I swapped my motor mounts out for urethane ones back in the spring, and all 3 were like that. Mazda figured their already-weak rubber bushings that went out after a few years on regular proteges didn't need to be strengthened for the turbo model.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

peepsalot posted:

This was a while back, and maybe you already found out yourself, but your LSD split in half. It happens to every Mazdaspeed Protege, including mine. I recommend you get an aftermarket replacement from MFactory, cause the quaife's are loving expensive as poo poo.

Well, the car's owner (who is totally not my mom because that would be the gooniest thing) decided to replace the entire transmission "just to be safe". The tech who did the work took my old one home and plans to crack it open to see what's what, but we both already suspect the diff.

Oh, and I finally fixed an exhaust leak I've been putting off for far two long; the leftmost two bolts on my manifold backed themselves out and left the stage. Pulled the mani, turbo and downpipe out to put in a Corksport downpipe... only to find out that my wastegate won't close all the way. It's not the actuator, the arm retracted fully when I pulled it off the gate lever, and the gate wouldn't seat no matter how I fiddled with it. As far as I know, internal wastegates can't be replaced, so if I want the turbo to spool as quickly as stock (to the mindblowing pressure of 6.5 psi), I'll need to pony up 3 grand for a new turbo. :suicide:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Post Stories of Subtle Mechanical Failures.

Getn Rod atAnimecon posted:

This happened a few months ago to my protege. Is it an easy fix or do I have to use a jackstand and an engine lift?
Jackstands for the car, I did mine in my school's garage, so I had a lift. A jack to support the engine, preferably with a 2x4 or something to spread the load so you don't crush your oil pan.

The passenger's side and front are fairly easy, just have to twist them to get around obstructions. Driver's side (technically the trans mount) is a bit more involved, have to pull the airbox off, but still not too bad. The one on the firewall, however, will make you want to kill yourself. I had to take off the intake up to the throttle body, and it's still a tight squeeze to get onto the engine bolt so you can crank the nut loose from beneath. The three nuts holding it to the car are even worse, they are blocked from the sides by the walls of the mount, and from above by a harness bracket, which is held on by two nuts... one of which is just above the mount nuts. Rough diagram:

E: Uhhh... new page... here's this again:

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Nov 23, 2010

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

peepsalot posted:

Dude, the wastegate is a freakin metal flap on a hinge. It should be pretty easy to diagnose what is wrong. Either it got bent somehow, or there is some debris/gunk in the way. I would not recommend spending 3k without at least trying to fix it first.

I've even seen someone go so far as to cut off the stock flap, bore out the hole and weld in a bigger flap, in an effort to reduce boost creep. It can be fixed.
Oh, I'm certainly not spending money on something like that anytime soon, don't you worry. Didn't appear to be bent or gunked, it was as if the flap was... hanging, I guess? too far down from the hinge, so that rather than sealing flat, the inside edge contacts the body, leaving a gap at the far edge of about 1/4 inch. I'm not too worried about it all things considered, it does still build boost, it just spools and peaks more slowly than stock.

Comedy option: I recently picked up a freshly rebuilt T3/T4 from a friend for $80. Slap that thing on there, crank up the boost and haul rear end for two miles before I throw a rod through the block!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

MikeyTsi posted:

This is probably something where a picture would serve best. There's something out of spec or bent that's probably causing your problem, and it's likely really easy and cheap to fix.

I agree, it's a bit hard to convey with words. The manifold, turbo and downpipe have to be removed as an assembly, and the radiator has to be removed for that to come out; for removal and reinstallation, it's about 6 hours of work (for me at least), and I don't have access to the school's lift like I did last week, nor a driveway of my own to do the work in.

Once I do get a chance, I will throw some pictures up here and see what the goon collective thinks. The turbo's leaking coolant out of the banjo fitting for the return line, so I may have to pull it pretty soon anyway to get that sorted.

Oh, and last night the tube on my charge pipe that the BOV attaches to snapped off. I have it superglued for now, but I've got a new one on the way. Aftermarket saved my rear end, because Mazda list price for the stock replacement was $560, because the Speed models are scarce and therefore parts cost 10 times what they should.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well, for the ice thing, ice forms not necessarily at the top of the can, but whatever point is highest with respect to gravity. That pushes the rest of the soda downward, building up pressure on that side. A can suspended upright in the air would blow the bottom out first.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

NitroSpazzz posted:

Out supercomputer cabinets are liquid cooled with radiators above and below the computer modules. The r134a from these radiators is cycled back to a heat exchanger which uses chilled water to control the temp of the refrigerant. The whole system (4 cabinets and 1 heat exchanger) is charged with ~250 pounds of r134a.
Holy hell, the A/C on an Excursion only uses about 1.5 pounds. It's a good thing nobody was standing next to it when this happened, they most likely would have suffocated.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Nerobro posted:

I don't see what the apollo 1 fire has to do with this at all. They were running a ground test at +something psi on top of 14.7psi at sea level. So they were in a super concentrated pure o2 atmosphere.

I think that's what he meant, just worded strangely; like being in atmosphere vs. stored in tanks for gas mixtures like they do today.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'm trying to figure out what that little loop diagram is next to the rotary joke. Some kind of simple turbocharger system diagram?

E\/\/Right, yes, the big version... which I totally clicked on the first time. yep. moving on.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Feb 13, 2011

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

insta posted:

That was the tires.

B-But mythbusters PROVED that you can't light tires on fire, it's completely unpossible!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Looks like the power cord sparking as it's ripped out.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Your average household extinguisher can't do poo poo for a magnesium fire, and a hose will make things worse, since magnesium decomposes water into oxygen and hydrogen gas. He did the right thing calling the fire department and staying away from it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Two Finger posted:

Do you own anything that doesn't rust?

Well, the Mazda 5 has an all-aluminum engine so there's that.

Oh wait the cylinder liners are cast iron.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CommieGIR posted:

Its gone from suck, to blow!

Considering the stages of the Diesel cycle, that's like some kind of double pun right there.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Root Bear posted:

Had this little gem dropped off last week, the owner said he "just needs the rear lower shock mount re-welded".

Ummm...

:stare:

Did... am I seeing... did they use the bolt to fill in the gap between welds?

E\/gently caress, I completely glazed over that somehow.\/ Tell me you didn't actually work on this chucklefuck's car without replacing literally everything, root bear.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Sep 14, 2011

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

haxality posted:

I don't want to be a downer, but have some insane footage of the Reno Air Race crash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HExCjKpQNH0
Jesus gently caress, I guess we know what a Kamikaze attack looks like now. Christ, that's pretty horrifying.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Paul Boz_ posted:

Just got replacing the motor mounts on my wife's 2002 Mazda Protege... Let me just say that this one was the worst offender..

Ouch, I've got an 03 Mazdaspeed, I've been in that boat. Did you have fun with the rear mount?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

EightBit posted:

I live in south Texas and my Jeep's A/C fan won't spin (the blower itself is fine but the knobs or wiring is hosed elsewhere), even days where it gets to 105 F I get by just fine without massive sweating. Maybe you people just need to take your doors off :smug:

Works fine in Texas. Here in Florida, we get 80%+ humidity all summer long; that sorta puts a damper on evaporative cooling.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So my cousin just posted pics of his new toy on Facebook.

280Z, body looks very clean. Wonder why it's on a trailer, though?

Dunno, eveything looks to be in pretty good shape up top. What abou-

:stare: Ah.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Nerobro posted:

I doubt you could get it hot enough to sustain fire while being actively air cooled.

And i wanna see an engine melt down :-)

Easy enough to remove the fan belt, I imagine.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

meatpimp posted:

Hella toe, the new stance.
What fortuitous timing.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Micromancer posted:

I'm amazed you arent strutting about because of the bomb pun you dropped.

It might have been unintentional, but I'd hate to put a damper on your mood.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Root Bear posted:

2006 Ford Explorer. "There's a clunking noise in the rear."

Good to see that Ford at least learned how to make springs that won't puncture a tire when they shatter completely. :ughh:

That's an 06? Jesus, Sockington must have gotten to it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

General_Failure posted:

I thought thermostats used a bimetal spring. Shows how much attention I've paid to them.

Well, household HVAC thermostats do, so there's that.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Boat posted:

Drag racing thing. They literally fill half the block's water passages with cement (or a purpose made substance) to strengthen it. The decreased cooling isn't much of a concern when you're only going flat out for a 1/4 mile at a time.

Plus a lot of those cars are running alcohol fuels, which burn cooler, so there's not as much cooling load.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Groda posted:

Nothing failed here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_0xifuTqVA

Fairbanks-Morse model 32D stationary engine with an interesting exhaust setup...

I suddenly want to see a motor that size in a car. Like a 10:1 scale Miata.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Haha you think the average Camaro builder knows what a torque spec is. Most of the ones use the German specification of Guten-Teit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

some texas redneck posted:

Reading the story behind that just made me nauseated. And irate as hell.

Goddamn that's lovely. Question, though: Could they not have put the car in neutral and avoided this?