Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

pacheco posted:

Wasn't there a post somewhere on the forums where a guy was doing some hot welding and used brake cleaner before welding. One time he didn't let the cleaner evaporate and started welding ontop of it and he inhaled a bit of the fumes. Few days later he had major liver and kidney damage as well as severely incapacitated, all due to him inhaling just a bit.

Yep. Apparently that poo poo turns into phosgene when burned at a certain temp. or something.

http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

Motronic posted:

R-12 and R-22 also decompose into phosgene when burned. They teach you to be careful around that poo poo in fire school. Car fires are so routine and easy to back away from you get tempted to not bother with the SCBA. Until you remember the whole phosgene thing.

I will certainly remember that, because I did not know that until now.

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

Lowclock posted:

You can't even buy chlorinated brake cleaner in a lot of states anymore, and most parts stores don't even carry it in the states that do. It's not really a thing to worry about anymore.

I have no problem getting it at any of the parts stores here in LOUISIANA.

Does the chlorinated stuff work any better than the non-chlorinated?

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009
Where can I purchase this "aircraft remover" ?

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009
What's the best way to clean up after you've stripped your paint with that? The previous owner painted my e30 like 3 different colors, so I need to fully strip it and bring it to a shop to get painted. This poo poo makes it looks like a pretty easy job. I'll make sure to shut the garage door while I'm in it during this process.

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

This happened to an S2000 at a local autocross:
Lower ball joint screw backed out and then sheared off at the cotter pin holes. Lower control arm dropped down, contacted the inside of the rim, and then acted like a lathe bit, cutting the wheel in half.

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

Paul Boz_ posted:

Was that in New Orleans this morning???

Yes.

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

meatpimp posted:

VW thread, or mechanical failure thread, or you put what on your car thread. Stolen from reddit.

Nobody gives a poo poo about it except for you. Make another thread about it so you can get laughed at.

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

Paul Boz_ posted:

gently caress you. About as much fun as punching myself in the dick.

what did you end up using to raise the engine?

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

I cannot put together what the hell happened. He hit something? Looks like both steers just blew simultaneously...

Major design flaw if you ask me... and I thought they were supposed to be tethered so full separation like that couldn't even happen. I remember that race pretty vividly and my reaction was just *jaw drop*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

Brain Issues posted:

2012 Audi S4 3.0 Supercharged. Had a misfire on cylinder 2 that took a little while to figure out.

Just curious, did it have a modified ECU tune?