Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I have no idea what's going on here, but I doubt it's working as intended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_zC7QK64Ks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Revolvyerom posted:

"Hm, that looks kind of bad, but if they shut it down maybe they can..."
:monocle:
That was comedic timing.
That was my first thought as well.

"Huh, that doesn't look right, but maybe it's just leaking fuel into the exhaust, no big d..." :stare:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

More like a horrible design failure. :wtc:

Swedish car magazine "Teknikens Värld" puts the Jeep Grand Cherokee through a standard 70kph (43mph) evasion test. All three sample cars fail horribly, and in 7 of the tries they even blow a front tire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaYFLb8WMGM

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Chrysler's response is pretty funny.

quote:

During the evaluation, the publication was able to capture images of a Grand Cherokee on two wheels as it performed an extreme maneuver in an overloaded condition.
The "extreme maneuver" is something everyone with a driver's license in Sweden gets to practice during learning.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Tekne posted:

Finally, Germany's Auto Motor und Sport ran their ISO standard moose test and couldn't destabilize the Jeep with any load even up to maximum weight, which is curious when you combine that with Teknikens Värld inability to produce these results when Chrysler's engineers were present.
In the video they had Chrysler engineers tinker with the ESP (Shown at 1:14) to see if they could resolve it since it seems like the ESP isn't doing its job. I would assume they remained for the actual test as well. It's possible that Chrysler's higher ups weren't aware of this when they put out their statement though.

Either way I'm sure this will get more media attention as it develops and we'll just have to wait and see.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

grover posted:

I've heard many a firefighter say how much they love getting a chance to do this:
I saw the aftermath of a car that had parked in front of an emergency lane at the wrong time. Firetrucks gave no fucks, drove right on and rammed the car out of the way. Unfortunately this was before the time of camera phones. The guy's insurance company most likely told him to get hosed too.

Don't get in the way of firemen's work.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

I find it disturbing that someone actually dared get close enough to take that picture.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sockington posted:

My sister's rotors weren't very far from becoming two-piece.

The brakes loving HAMMERED when pressure was applied.
I guess rust runs in the family? :haw:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You said you wanted a differential lock. It's locked. What are you complaining about? :colbert:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

At least it went out and not in.

I'm guessing there's some sort of shielding on the inwards facing side so you don't shower the passengers or cargo with shrapnel in case it blows?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

InitialDave posted:

poo poo, Bob, get the cordon from the cafeteria queue set up around that hole before someone hurts themselves!
Too late. 75 people died in that "accident". :(

("accident" because the plant operators knew the #2 turbine was vibrating out of spec for a long time but didn't want to spend the money to fix it.)

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 8, 2013

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

On the topic of nuclear reactors, Sweden's first experimental nuclear reactor R1 was built in the basement of the royal institute of technology, smack in the middle of our capital, in a time when nuclear research basically amounted to "let's smack these two things together and see what happens :pseudo:".

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 8, 2013

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Would you download a car? :v:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

"Sorry, didn't see you there mate."

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Tactical Bonnet posted:

I believe the word I used to describe it was "awesome."

Tractor pulls are also awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km2ktOaV5kk
Yes they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsjRvYnjDUE

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

There's everything from kids classes where you run basically souped up lawn tractors to the superheavy classes where you have machines with 3-4 supercharged V12s, quad gas turbines, etc all fuelled by money and madness.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Soodonim posted:

imageshack is a flaming pile of poo poo
A horrible internet failure you might say.

e: Nice to see SA translations are still around. :allears:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

a nest of hornets posted:

The Detroit People Mover definitely qualifies as a horrible mechanical failure.
Why's that, out of curiosity?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

nitrogen posted:

In Los Colinas where I used to work, we had one hell of a boondoggle of a monorail there. For the longest time, it only operated for a few hours in the day, from like 11a-3p for lunchtime. Since DART expanded to the area, it runs longer now to ferry people from the DART trains now.
I always liked the idea of people mover systems, maybe because 20th century visions of the future always included these sleek, fast hover/flyer trains zooming between space age buildings.. :)

Too bad most existing systems are crap.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

And I'm guessing the whole thing is at least a six figure fuckup?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Around here they usually just have rubber flaps that you drive through.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I've been a passenger during a landing in very turbulent crosswinds once. It's definitely one of the most pants-making GBS threads moments in my life.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If I were to guess, I'd say a combination of a rusted frame and overloading. Then you hit a pothole and it's the straw that literally broke the trailer's back.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

http://theaviationist.com/2014/03/05/tunguska-out-of-control/

:stonk:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

piston was hiding
That looks like an impressive crank salad.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Off topic, how are you liking that Sculpt Ergonomic? I'm a zealous fan of the old MS 4k Ergonomic but have been eyeing the Sculpt.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Just get some gears and make a U12. :getin:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The N2O made it run super lean and probably melted half the engine.

e: Happy now?

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Apr 13, 2014

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Do they pull and rebuild the same engine between each run, or do they have a spare engine they swap into the car while rebuilding the one that recently ran?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

They also like to hide inside helmets.
I'm glad I live in a country where the worst thing I might find inside my helmet in way of spiders is a common house spider, which is pretty big and ugly but completely harmless.

Content related to Fire Storm's exploded battery. Not quite as dramatic, from a 2U rackmount UPS.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

revmoo posted:

You can tell it's clearly a knockoff battery, nice.
Which is curious because the UPS is about five years old and as far as I know the batteries have never been replaced since it was bought.

Anyway a replacement battery pack from APC was about $300 and a completely new UPS was $400 so we quickly decided not to waste any effort on it, junk the entire device and get a new one.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Lead-Acid batteries last about 5 years, then it's time to replace them regardless of what battery tests say. Normally they don't fail quite as spectacularly as Fire Storm's or mine, they'll just silently stop holding a charge. Starting to bulge like that is a trait of Gel/AGM batteries, usually happens when they've suffered overheating or overcharging, but can happen when cells start to fail with age as well.

This is why you should always have a support contract on your main UPS that includes battery replacement at regular intervals.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

From reddit.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Hillridge posted:

Most APC UPS systems use nothing fancy for batteries. It's usually a bunch of 12-7 or so Lead Acids. Find decent quality replacements, swap them out, and you're good to go. The main electronics will last a long time, no reason to buy a whole new unit.
The problem in my case was that the battery had swollen to the point that it was impossible to get it out with less than taking an angle grinder to the case of the UPS, and at that point the cost in time outweighed the cost of a new unit.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I have a irrational fear of truck tires after watching too many youtube movies of explosive tire failures.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Not quite that drastic, but yes, shooting it from a distance behind cover is the preferred way.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Zemyla posted:

I was expecting that to spell out words at the end.
Someone photoshop it to form dickbutt.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Do all multimeters feed its entire voltage through the probes in resistance mode? I would expect there to be a resistor or something to prevent shorting it (and doing dumb stuff like kill yourself).

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Xlorp posted:

Your sacrifice is acceptable to Fingat, patron deity of horrible mechanical failures.
But Biscuit Joiner didn't post from the hospital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Tommychu posted:

Just googled jubilee clip, and my ignorant North American brain is once again confused by British automotive nomenclature. A hose clamp isn't really deserving of the term 'clip', and the preceding 'Jubilee' makes even less sense. The hell?
Jubilee Clip is a just a trademark that has caught on as a generic term, along the lines of Kleenex, Styrofoam, etc.