Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Not particularly mechanical, but I had this spectacular tire failure coming up I-75 by my house a couple nights ago.

Oh, well, that's bad, but it's not that...

Oh...

The car is now grounded until I replace the rest of the tires, they're all pretty worn out. That's what I get for trying to push old tires as long as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

grover posted:

How long were you driving on it flat before the sidewall failed like that?

A mile maybe. Dark, late, and in Detroit. I was trying to get somewhere safe.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

sharkytm posted:

Hints and allegations?

Hey, hallelujah!

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

$500 black rattlecanned 4 door 77 nova. First road trip away from home. Hot Springs, AR to Chicago, for a giiiiiirl with nothing but $300 in cash to my name.

Around St. Louis I brake hard and blew a rear brake cylinder. Pedal mush.

Eventually I figure out that I can pump it up and somewhat slow down, for a bit, with the assistance of downshifting and e-brake. Managed to make it without incident - I left at 5pm and this all happened overnight, so traffic was light, got there without incident at about 4am. The next morning we traipsed down to the nearest parts store and i got the silly $14 part and changed it in her driveway while basically teaching myself how drum brakes work. Still miss that fuckin' car sometimes.

What about the girl? What happened to her?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Scrolled down to this one and said, "Whoa" out loud. My three year old daughter looked up at the monitor and said, "Daddy, that bunny doesn't go there!" You are correct, daughter. You are correct.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

:stare: :ohdear: I, uh, I'm gonna go get a flashlight and check mine right now.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Farking Bastage posted:

The MazdaSpeed 3's are apparently bad to break motor mounts.

Thankfully I have a first generation NA bog standard 3. It's a nice car and all, but I'm currently 800 miles from home with my wife and daughters and with only my emergency road kit in the trunk for tools. So, when I saw those busted mounts on that red car, I had a little uncomfortableness.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I dunno what's going on with those cars but I see them blown out on old bikes all the time. Except they're not blown out from any excess current, and you can't see that they're blown out, because they're disconnected inside the metal end caps for unknown reasons. And the socket connectors they snap into frequently break.

One of the first modifications people do the Yamaha XS series (the kind of bike I ride) is to replace the fuse block and glass fuses with inline blade-type fuses. Why? Because the fuse block is plastic and is attached under the seat, so if you hit a big bump there's a drat good chance of your rear end crushing the fuse block and all the glass fuses inside. Good job, Yamaha.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

Why's that, out of curiosity?

It's not so much a mechanical failure, as it works like a champ and my wife and oldest daughter use it pretty regularly, but more a planning/leadership/infrastructure failure. It's a dumb automated monorail that only goes in a big circle around downtown. It's lame and isn't useful for much more than moving terrified white people from north of 8 mile from their parking lots to the RenCen/Joe Louis Arena/Cobo.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

dietcokefiend posted:

On that same note I wish I took a picture of it, but I saw a fairly new Mazda 3 that was rusting out to an extreme level. The third brake light in the trunk lid was heavily rusted and perforating, and both rear wheel fender lips were jagged from rust. It was like someone dipped the back of the car in acid. How the gently caress does a car that has only been existing for a few years show more rust than many cars built in the late 80's or 90's in such a short timespan?

Is stuff like galvanized steel not common on asian imports?

My '04 Mazda 3 is the same way. It's the rustiest thing and it drives me crazy. I'm going to have to do some serious rust abatement and body work this summer. I think it has to do with the quality of Mazda's paint and clearcoat around that time.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Geoj posted:

^
Seems like all Mazdas of that vintage have rust issues. My wife's '03 6 has a pretty bad patch in the passenger side quarter panel and I've seen plenty of other 6s with the same problem.

Yeah, I don't know what was going on at Mazda during the early '00s, but their paint is poo poo and the cars suffer for it. I mean, we had a '96 Protege that my wife bought new, and it didn't start to rust until it was well past ten years old. On the other hand, their mechanicals are rock solid. I sold the Protege to a scrapper for 500.00 with 250,000 miles on the clock, and the only reason I got rid of it is because we needed a newer car and I couldn't be arsed to track down all the Protege's electrical gremlins. Still ran (mostly) like a champ when it went on the flatbed.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Das Volk posted:

That poo poo cray.

:vince:

This is seriously not getting enough love.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

InitialDave posted:

They tried making it RWD with a live axle, but you wouldn't believe what kept happening to the pumpkin.

drat, son.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Farking Bastage posted:

In response to all the gently caress You pictures of Broken off extractors, an oldie, but goodie:

HAMMER: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate expensive parts not far from the object we are trying to hit.

MECHANIC'S KNIFE: Used to open and slice through the contents of cardboard cartons delivered to your front door; works particularly well on boxes containing seats and motorcycle jackets.

ELECTRIC HAND DRILL: Normally used for spinning steel Pop rivets in their holes until you die of old age, but it also works great for drilling mounting holes in fenders just above the brake line that goes to the rear wheel.

PLIERS: Used to round off bolt heads.

HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board
principle. It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

VISE-GRIPS: Used to round off bolt heads. If nothing else is available, they can also be used to transfer intense welding heat to the palm of your hand.

OXYACETELENE TORCH: Used almost entirely for lighting various flammable objects in your garage on fire. Also handy for igniting the grease inside a hub you're trying to get the bearing race out of.

WHITWORTH SOCKETS: Once used for working on older British cars and motorcycles, they are now used mainly for impersonating that 9/16 or 1/2 socket you've been searching for the last 15 minutes.

DRILL PRESS: A tall upright machine useful for suddenly snatching flat metal bar stock out of your hands so that it smacks you in the chest and flings your beer across the room, splattering it against that freshly painted part you were drying.

WIRE WHEEL: Cleans rust off old bolts and then throws them somewhere under the workbench with the speed of light. Also removes fingerprint whorls and hard-earned guitar calluses in about the time it takes you to say, "Ouc...."

HYDRAULIC FLOOR JACK: Used for lowering your car to the ground after you have installed your new front disk brake setup, trapping the jack handle firmly under the front fender.

EIGHT-FOOT LONG DOUGLAS FIR 2X4: Used for levering the fender upward off a hydraulic jack.

TWEEZERS: A tool for removing wood splinters.

PHONE: Tool for calling your neighbor to see if he has another hydraulic floor jack.

SNAP-ON GASKET SCRAPER: Theoretically useful as a sandwich tool for spreading mayonnaise; used mainly for getting dog-**** off your boot.

E-Z OUT BOLT AND STUD EXTRACTOR: A tool that snaps off in bolt holes and is ten times harder than any known drill bit.

TIMING LIGHT: A stroboscopic instrument for illuminating grease buildup.

TWO-TON HYDRAULIC ENGINE HOIST: A handy tool for testing the tensile strength of ground straps and fuel lines you may have forgotten to disconnect.

CRAFTSMAN 1/2 x 16-INCH SCREWDRIVER: A large motor mount prying tool that has an accurately machined screwdriver tip on the end without the handle.

BATTERY ELECTROLYTE TESTER: A handy tool for transferring sulfuric acid from a car battery to the inside of your toolbox after determining that your battery is dead as a doornail, just as you thought.

AVIATION METAL SNIPS: See hacksaw.

TROUBLE LIGHT: The mechanic's own tanning booth. Sometimes called a drop light, it is a good source of vitamin D, "the sunshine vitamin," which is not otherwise found under race cars at night. Health benefits aside, it's main purpose is to consume 40-watt light bulbs at about the same rate as a 25mm chain gun.
More often dark than light, its name is somewhat misleading.

PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER: Normally used to stab the lids of old-style paper-and-tin oil cans and splash oil on your shirt; can also be used, as the name implies, to round off Phillips screw heads.

AIR COMPRESSOR: A machine that takes energy produced in a coal-burning power plant 200 miles away and transforms it into compressed air that travels by hose to a Chicago Pneumatic impact wrench that grips rusty bolts last tightened 40 years ago by someone in Detriot and rounds them off.

PRY BAR: A tool used to crumple the metal surrounding that clip or bracket you needed to remove in order to replace a 50 cent part.

HOSE CUTTER: A tool used to cut hoses 1/2 inch too short.

12MM WRENCH: A tool that comes in handy when you need to weld a brace between the positive terminal on your alternator and the engine block, when you forget to disconnect the battery.

SPIRO LOCK: A spring like, tightly wound, carbon steel retainer used primarily to gouge forged pistons. Alternatively, the tool of choice for administering multiple fingertip lacerations.

Hmmmmmm... Yep, checks out.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

FatCow posted:

I had a buddy with some kind of small Japanese sedan who had 300k on the clutch.

When we got rid of my wife's old Protege, it had 280,000 miles on the clock and still had the original clutch.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Farking Bastage posted:

Content:

I had a little mishap involving a stray dog and my WRX.

That bumper cover is just hanging there on the passenger side. All the supports and plastic bits underneath are gone. Also has a foot and a half long crack in it.

What about the dog? :ohdear:

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Man, the missing wheel cover and the clingwrap and tape window fix really sell this picture.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

SouthsideSaint posted:

Are you friends with sperglordfirecock on facebook. Cause that sounds like him completely.

Was that the guy with the Nissan who couldn't drive a manual? From the "A Series of Bad Decisions" thread?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I'm surprised he didn't get himself banned.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

About a month ago, my wife comes home with the kids and says, "I hit a pothole (In the dark, at speed, on 75N) and now there's a bad rattle in the rear end of the Mazda." The next day I took it for a spin around the block, heard that, yep, there's a real bad sound coming from the passenger rear, then parked the fucker because I had neither the time, the inclination, nor the place to fix it since there was two feet of snow on the ground and it was -10f.

Yesterday I finally got around to putting it on the jack, and found this bullshit -

She hit that pothole so hard that both ears of the shock mount snapped clean off. The rattling was, of course, the top of the shock rattling around inside the wheel arch. The rust isn't that bad at all, just some surface rust. The mount is otherwise solid. The bolts are gonna be a bitch, though. So now, because we have the worst roads and worst road funding in the country, I have to replace the rear shocks in the Mazda. That's pure Michigan.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

That's totally considered surface rust in Michigan :colbert:

But, yeah. The bolts and nuts are rusty as hell, but as the bolts look to be part of the car, I'm just going to have to clean them up as best I can and replace the nuts with something new. The mount is, I think aluminum and just has that dusty surface corrosion on it. Once I get it off the car I'll be able to see it better, but it looks like it just broke at the ears due to the strain and shock from hitting the pothole. I'm the shadiest of shade-tree mechanics though, so I'm probably wrong.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

kastein posted:

If those are spotwelded or pressed in studs, just yank em out and put bolts and washers through from the top. Grade 8, please.

If they are MIG welded in, you can still do that, it'll just involve an angle grinder or die grinder and patience instead of 30 seconds with your largest drift punch and hammer.

That's a fantastic idea, and I'll likely do that now. And, yeah. I don't gently caress around with bolts. There's a Fastenal right up the street, so I'll hit them up.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Yeah, considering my M3 and your MS3 have the same body, they're totally a bitch to get to.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

kastein posted:

From the general look of things and the description of the noises, that shock has been wandering around freely in the tower banging into things as hard as a shock normally does, so I think he can probably forgo the usual punch-and-hammer rustbelt rot dowsing.

Yeah, the wheel well and tower are surprisingly intact. Now, if we want to talk about the jack points, or the sills, or the wheel arches then, yeah. They're rusty as poo poo because this thing suffers from an overabundance of Mazda rot. There's even bubbling paint beneath the center brake light in the trunk lid, it's pretty shocking.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I just... I can't... drat.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

A horrible mechanic failure courtesy of Hot Rod Magazine:

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

BloodBag posted:

How in the gently caress does one chew through ball joints that fast? Was he rallying with SiF or something? :psyduck:

Probably hit the 25,000 mile life-limit of Chrysler ball joints #justchryslerthings

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Preoptopus posted:

I just finished a timing belt/waterpump job on a pt cruiser and couldn't really test drive it because the ball joint was ready to fall out but the customer didn't wanna fix it. Also failing strut mounts, tie rods, and bearing.

Yeah, I mean, the "suspension parts die at 25,000 miles and transmissions take a poo poo at 50,000 miles" is a well-known joke for a reason.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

How the gently caress do you have a 97 Ram with only 30k?

It's probably in the shop a lot.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Fart Pipe posted:

I took this pic last year

Also the cat was bad at 12k so I replaced it. It was clogged and woudnt go more than like 60mph, then found out like a week later that there was a recall for it and I could have had it replaced for nothing.

poo poo, that thing is in good (cosmetic) shape. Also, apropos of nothing, but I love your new Immortan Stitch avatar.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

DiggityDoink posted:

This is just as much poor ownership decisions as it is a mechanical failure.

Found while washing it today. It's probably actually been broken for a while now and I only noticed because I last hit the brakes going backwards before I parked it, usually it's straight into the garage. Thankfully it wasn't out on the highway that I found out about it.

Christ. Took me a solid thirty seconds of looking, then an audible gasp and I sat bolt upright in my chair. Time for a new slider, I guess. On the other hand,

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I don't see what the big deal is, Harley owners never use their front brake anyway.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Enourmo posted:

ummm.... if u use the front brakes on a bike... u'll flip.... be safe and just use the rears....

(things I have actually been told by bikers)

Was this immediately before or after they told you the story about when they totally had to lay the bike down to avoid an accident?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

rainwulf posted:

Are you serious.. that there is a seriously human failure. Who the gently caress believes that...

Old, stubborn bikers, layerdans, and young kids who worship at their altars. Oh, and a lot of Harley riders.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Alabama just passed a law last May requiring motorcycle riders to have a motorcycle endorsement on their license. It goes into effect on January 1, 2016.

Prior to this, there was no requirement to have a motorcycle license to operate a motorcycle within the state. The test and endorsement were offered so you can legally operate a motorcycle in other states, but one was not required to operate within state lines.

Motorcycle training, like driver's training, is a joke in this country.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

ATTN AI GOONS: Did your piece-of-poo poo OS cause your hard drive to physically eject a platter through the side of your case and into your shin? No? Then it's not a horrible mechanical failure.

The gently caress?
:catstare:

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

Don't know about that story, but there are real, documented cases of people suffocating while being in the rooms the chains are stored, as their oxidation removes most of the oxygen from the air.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/ship-safety-failures-by-owner-led-to-suffocation-of-three-men-1-1040331

http://maritimeaccident.org/library2/the-case-of-the-rusty-assassin/

That's sort of how my great-uncle died aboard ship during WWII. He'd gone into a compartment where someone had opened a huge container of preserved fruit, and as it decayed it destroyed all the oxygen in the air. He went into that compartment and suffocated. My granddad, his big brother, was on the same ship when it happened.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

The stick-on Cadillac badge is killing me.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Cocoa Crispies posted:

You mean the"FIAT" logo?

Is it?

Godholio posted:

The photo quality is so bad it actually does look more like a Caddy badge.

Yeah, that's why I mistook it. My bad.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Enourmo posted:

Suspension, apparently.

:haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

I don't know, I once heard about a guy from Germany who was a pretty charismatic public speaker

That dude was Austrian, though.