Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So today when I got down to the garages after work, one of the tires seemed a bit deflated so I carefully took it to a gas station which is right across the street:

Must've caught a nail or something this morning and probably drove a good part of 20km this way. gently caress, I don't think I'll make it until spring now! They are PO's tires with just about the minimum amount of tread left for this season, so I really didn't want to shell out five hundred bucks for a new set only to use them for a month (plus, it snowed exactly once this year so far) and store them for the rest of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ultimateforce posted:

You sound like my uncle. Every tire is low profile these days.

Well, they're 195/50/R15, I think that's one of the stock sizes available on the NBs. If I were buying wheels too I'd probably go for a higher profile for the winter set. As for the tires, any brand I've heard of costs over $100 and/or is out of stock, so I've been looking at used as suggested. Thanks!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just came across an article by Matt Farah about Paul Walker's crash, and how old tires might have contributed to the incident: http://www.thedrive.com/opinion/5189/the-truth-behind-what-caused-paul-walkers-fatal-crash

Hopefully it doesn't surprise anyone that decade-old tires are super sketchy, but what I'm wondering is how bad they are. There's a pretty detailed paper here: http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/esv/esv20/07-0496-W.pdf but it has mostly to do with catastrophic failure and not reduced driving characteristics. FWIW: here's their results:

Has anyone came across a test where they drove on a track with old tires and then with new ones, ideally of the same model or at least brand and category? That'd be pretty interesting.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
We don't use fractions with metric measures :colbert:

Also I didn't use a torque wrench on my lug nuts and this is what happened: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YayFP8CxJok

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The Door Frame posted:

What's the deal with Australia and tools?
They imported a bunch from the British a while ago and it's been a problem ever since.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

sidewalk gum posted:

My E46 previous owner fixed that with a piece of wood, that's the right way isn't it?

I did that with my Miata. It's been fine for years and didn't even move after several track days. As far as I'm concerned, I just fabricated a custom battery mount :colbert:.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 23, 2016

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
That's what I say too for anyone concerned with TCO, and I've never owned either of those. Otherwise go ahead and buy your Audi or Jaguar and leave enough for maintenance.

The right headlight has been giving me some trouble, let's try to fix it:

So that's good, on the downside, it will sometimes also go out when driving over a bump :doh:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What a blast from the past, I remember seeing this on a bubblegum wrapper back in the 90s, that thing is pretty amazing.

And I think it's a pretty great solution for driver position but also a practical one when you don't really have enough space for two normal rows. I wish more cars did that.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You're saying... petrol is stored in the balls?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

my turn in the barrel posted:

His point was that if you lift a corner of the car with a jack at the approved jacking point you can't then place a jackstand at the same spot to move your jack elsewhere.

Chrisfix had these suggested as a solution for this exact issue:

https://www.etamfg.com/shop.html?store-page=Rennstand-Each-p252276669

they're $100 each and a pad adapter is 30 so I'd just go with a quick jack but it's an option.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Couldn't you just put some blocks on top of the QJ? Or it wouldn't be able to lift the car then?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That's what I have to do with my stick height Miata, otherwise my low profile jack doesn't reach the crossmember. Thankfully I can usually get by with just driving into some wooden boards first though.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

LifeSunDeath posted:

tbh it's just about getting the most from your brakes and other consumables.

Don't leave anything on the table, you paid for it!

(the caliper was stuck)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sure I mentioned it on the forums somewhere, but our old Ford Scorpio also had an event like that. Wasn't really the car's fault.

It had a separate throttle cable that was controlled by the cruise actuator. Apparently the cable broke at some point, and the PO repaired it by clamping the two ends togher with a contraption that had a bolt sticking out. Once the CC demanded enough throttle to maintain speed on an uphill section of the highway, it caught on something and wouldn't retract. So there was no way to close the throttle lol.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Supposedly that's still within range if you ask for approval from the canal authorities.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It says it has cost us 40 billion so far

Lol it hasn't cost me anything

Lucky, I already declared bankruptcy

E:

namlosh posted:

Any time I’m able to mention this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logistics_(film)

It’s the longest movie ever made, and tracks the progress of a cheap pedometer from creation to shipping in REAL TIME

51,420 minutes

There's an edited 70 minute version on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYFG0xP12yE

That's... More than enough, I think

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 27, 2021

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

No, the hard part was still the hard part. Experts with good tools and experience make it look easy.

Did they actually do anything or is that how I troubleshoot computers, just showing up is enough to get it working properly?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo, good joke though lol

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BigPaddy posted:

Not sure if it is a Ford design fault or them not reading the procedure before taking it apart and giving it to a newbie to do.

The design seems unnecessary stupid but that's not a great excuse as they've definitely should've checked the procedure if they're not familiar with that model. That's how a shop managed to screw up the calipers on my Miata because they just forced the pistons in.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Blindeye posted:

Wait what is tricky about Miata calipers?

Nothing, really, you just need to know the rear ones are retracted by turning an allen key gear that's hidden by a bolt on the back of the caliper

Brute force pills the calipers

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I think this could go here because it happened when getting out of the car and it's a mechanical failure.

My laptop bag fell off my shoulder because the strap detached itself on one end as I was taking it out. Because it's held by a tiny c-clip:

It's supposed to go in that narrow slot to keep the big clip and strap parts attached while allowing some rotation. Of course it went flying somewhere so good job Lenovo.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just had this concrete highway blow up a few days ago:

A few cars crashed and like 8 injured.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is that 9-10 dakkas or "dakka-dakka-dakkas"?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
:gonk:

Platystemon posted:

Don’t you hate it when your van has a loose seal?

Make sure not to blow the seal while trying to remove it from the vehicle

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/z6nJ0DP.mp4

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Large Testicles posted:

from GBS

he was in fact quite overloaded

Should've bought a bigger truck, loser.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Large Testicles posted:

That piece of poo poo transmission is gonna take me and my dog to Virginia whether it wants to or not and then it's getting warrantied once I get out there since it's not even 15k i've put on the new one. It's only grumpy on the 1-2 shift and I'm gonna be on the highway with no traffic for like 99% of the trip.

Is that one of those notorious dual clutch things?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Well it does seem to be working...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Powershift posted:

The acceleration just *feels* warmer, you know, just a little fuller and more rich.

I trust my butt dyno over your "facts" and "figures"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

kastein posted:

I've never paid over 2500 for any vehicle. I generally prefer to buy thousand dollar heaps and get them running and driving for under about 3-4. If I ever get a kei truck I'll likely be posting pics of its original drivetrain in this thread and then repowering it with dual electric motors.

You could probably do that if you imported one yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You'll probably be able to buy this MRAP from a Police auction in Germany for cheap soon

Duzzy Funlop posted:

So here's a very regional current event:
(Disclaimer: Sorry for the wall of :words:, read to the end or skip it and just check the end)

Around 50 polish lorry drivers have gone on strike and set up camp at a German Autobahn rest-stop just south of Frankfurt since the 30th of March.
They've gone on strike because their supremely-lovely boss of a polish international logistics company hasn't been paying them for months. The only power they have rests in the tractor units for the lorries, which are company-owned.
They haven't been hindering traffic or causing any other inconvenience since they set up, the cops have even swung by daily to see if everything's IN ORDNUNG.
They've also had support from several union-advocacy groups and the chairman of the German Federation of Trade Unions.

Fast-forward to the morning of Good Friday, April 7th. The owner of the logistics company has apparently enlisted the services of "famous private investigator" Krzysztof Rutkowski (he does actually refer to himself as the most famous polish private investigator in Poland) and his PMC :airquote: security services provider :airquote: "Rutkowski Patrol". Rutkowski himself has a bit of a history with shady "extraordinary international extractions" that he and his company did for clout since they had a deal with a Polish TV show and he may or may not have abused his diplomatic visa in the process.

But take my reporting on Mr. Rutkowski with a grain of salt, so to avoid bias, let's have a look at the man.

Okay, that's not fair, that's just an old Wikipedia pic making him look like a comical villain. Surely, his more recent lifestyle makes him look better.

Okay, this is probably all confirmation bias, let's disregard that the man has had some success and maybe likes expensive cars, gold chains, and pocket-rats.
Surely, the practices of "Rutowski Patrol" are all above board, to the letter of national/international law, and not at all scummy.

Oh, what's that? He loaded up 20 thugs in tactilol gear into several fake-official LEO vehicles (including, but not limited to, a mine-protected APC and a re-branded 90's style US police cruiser), recruited 20 strike-buster truck drivers into vans, crossed the border and drove 4 hours across Germany to beat up the striking truck drivers and have their trucks drive back to Poland?
Well, whoopsiedoodles.

Here's where their entire plan was foiled by a single Polizei squad car already being at the rest-stop when they pulled in:

Instead of driving past them, whooping up on their countrymen somethin' fierce, and getting out of dodge before the two cops would have chosen to interfere with their little PMC convoy (the aftermath would have been funny as hell, because there's nothing like a national police chase to stop a convoy of paramilitary idiots with 15 trucks in tow that needs 4 hours to get back into Poland), they decided to identify themselves as participants of the strike and let the extremely confused cops inventory and photograph their little convoy.

So the cops decide to stall them and give them a full "license-and-registration"-treatment, while - I assume - the other cop was on the radio going "Jah, Günther? Everything just zuper, just ein kleines little issue: I have ein small convoy of 30+ Poles in TAKTISCHE AUSRÜSTUNG und EIN MINENGESCHÜTZTES PANZERFAHRZEUG hier, could you maybe contact Hans-Dieter and have him send, jah, I don't know, EVERYONE? Jah? Das ist gut? Peachy, super-Hugendubel, mein Freund!"

After like 20 minutes, RUTKOWSKI-PATROL-COMMANDER goes "harumph, am I losing the element of surprise here? eh, what are these two cops gonna do, let's go!"
So they drive past them and do a full clown-car dismount from their MPV and several vans and start surrounding the strike.

Behold, the sheer force of imposition displayed by RUTKOWSKI-PATROL-COMMANDER: (not even gonna -timg this chonky-boi)

Extremely confused German Polizist trying to ascertain what the gently caress is going on as he is still under the impression that the very legal polish strike just got some "somewhat shady" polish reinforcements.

Rutkowski-Patrol members warming their hands and contemplating what to do next due to a lack of coordination:

The situation comes to a boil as the first unionbusters attempt to commandeer a lorry to drive it back to Poland:

A brief melee ensues between the drivers and the unionbusters:

At this point, roughly 6 more German cops have arrived on the scene, but seem to share the confusion of the first officers on the scene, thinking they're still facing an internal argument that got violent (because they someone can't separate a group of day-laborers and a bunch of kitted-up goons arriving in armored vehicles in their head), so they initially side with Rutkowski-Patrol against the strike.
Of particular note should be one particular rookie-Polizist that is faced with 30 angry and - supposedly - violent Poles, so he does the one thing that makes sense to him:
DOUBLE-FIST BEAR-MACE

Nothing comes of the confrontation, as the cops have now isolated the drivers from the union-busters, inadvertantly keeping Rutkowski-Patrol from driving off any more trucks (because they managed to commandeer one previously), so the cops are suddenly faced by a very cheerful and applauding group of Poles that are very much non-violent. Head-cop arrives on scene and goes "Uhhhh, who the gently caress are these kitted-up goons over there and why is there an armored personnel carrier with a Polish license plate blocking the street?!?"

The entirety of the state's police force arrive on scene, and box in all of Rutkowski-Patrol by sheer superiority of vehicles and bodies.

Representatives of the German Federation of Trade Unions also arrive - to great applause of the Polish drivers - and they let the cops know who they actually need to arrest.

Stefan Körzell, member-of-the-board of the German Federation of Trade unions letting the press know just how hot he thinks his moostache is, and that he does not intend to POLIIICE it at all.

Rutkowski-Patrol, here seen contained in the arrest-zone, secured by an inescapable barrier of caution-tape:

End of the story:
- 19 members of Rutkowski-Patrol were arrested
- all Rutkowski-Patrol vehicles were secured
- one or two government officials have probably gotten a phone-call and gone "uuuuuuhhh...?"
- the strike continues

If you'd like to get some while the gettin's good, Polish "news channel" PATRIOT24.TV was embedded with Rutkowski's goons and put the whole thing up on YouTube about 12 hours ago, but I'm assuming it'll be taken down before long when either the authorities or Rutkowski Patrol figure out there's a whole lot of juicy evidence in there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEWCY_QKFvY

Well, that's all for German current events, thanks for listening, namasté