Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, how many tries did it take until the rock won?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer

dietcokefiend posted:

Chances are the truck didnt stop instantly when the thing blew up. The chains and gears were probably still in motion and that is impact damage from one case half making sweet sweet surprise sex to the other case half.

Oh, now that I look at it again, that makes more sense. Hitting a rock seems like it'd just knock a hole in the bottom instead of the thing blowing apart.

Hmm, content. Not horrible or really mechanical :ohdear: , but the ignition coil on my Neon (flaming molten goo not pictured):

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ab0z posted:

is this a problem

No I think the magnet got it all.

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Konigwheels posted:

The single tire is more than capable of holding the bus up. The fronts are singles forever. This happens all the time on busses, semis and regular dually trucks. I would be mcuh more worried about the towing.

No, you don't understand. There were two wheels on that side when they hitched it up. :v:

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer

gently caress. I somehow did that while changing the oil on my tractor (suspect pinched internal valve cover gasket), and it crushed my spirit so much I let it sit there for a couple of months. That is some serious pain in the rear end. I hope it happened while parts were not in motion.

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think if you drove it up alongside the edge of a cliff and pushed it sideways, it'd go over like a slinky down stairs. There's just...nothing laterally supporting at all.

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Not baffled (I'm not aware of a way to do that), but the fluid pretty much stays stationary inside the tire, i.e. the wheel rotates but the fluid doesn't. Not to say sloshing doesn't happen, but it's not like you're starting or stopping or changing direction rapidly.

Filled tires are also a lot nicer on axles and bearings than frame weight, not to mention that CaCl2 or beet juice is a lot cheaper than cast iron weights.

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Yeah, that generation goes through front wheel bearings like candy. Usually you don't notice until you're swapping wheels or the ABS light comes on. That can be a fun one, ABS system going haywire because the sensor is literally running into the tone wheel.

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer

sharkytm posted:

They don't if you take out the ABS sensor and grease the bearings. I've run those trucks (and vans) for years, never had a wheel bearing go. The front end on my '04 2500HD got replaced.... at 170K miles, and it was all OEM parts we removed.

2WD? My '02 Tahoe 4WD was unit bearings.

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer

sharkytm posted:

4WD.

http://www.silveradosierra.com/how-to-articles/how-to-pack-your-sealed-hubs-t18734.html

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=375102

Countless other threads. There's very little grease in them to start, and adding some every 15-20k seems to extend their lives.

Huh, cool! I've had plenty vehicles with sealed-bearing hubs but never considered preventative maintenance on them. I have a 2WD GMT900 and should probably think about checking those bearings.

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Shai-Hulud posted:

I was thinking that there's no way the 2015 astra has a solid rear axle. But it seems to be some kind of weird compound axle thing using a kind of stiff axle and some watts linkage.

That one looks pretty independent to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm the melted bedliner I guess.