Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.

Valt posted:

I'm still confused at how this is in any way some kind of mechanical failure.

Obviously, it was another case of Toyota unintended acceleration into the semi's rear tardbar. I am tweeting CNN's Rick Sanchez to alert the public at large.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.

peepsalot posted:

A "High flow" cat after use. Sorry for blurry phone camera pic.

From what I've seen they all fall apart eventually, blocking up exhaust and causing poo poo performance.

I though this was the inside of a rotary engine at first glance. Is the steel wool stuff down there the apex seal?

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
What kind of failure mode is my tire in?

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009

Bucephalus posted:

You're not flush enough. The fender is cutting the tire too far down the sidewall.

Ding ding ding! The fender and tire decided to be friends when turning up a steep incline. Needs much more neg camber for that proper stance. (New tires & the original wheels are going on the next time I drive it)

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
The sticker on the back of many trucks needs an update.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
^^^Those (compressor attachment ones) aren't strong enough to boil away moisture

Why not R12 in an R12 system? It's readily available and $25/can the last time I checked at a local auto supply shop. You'll have to dick around with fittings that screw up the valve stem and so much other bullshit to use propane or those eBay motors blends. Those blends can't be topped off and contaminate R12 & R134a reclamation bottles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009

Das Volk posted:

I have to agree with djcommie here, they were overengineered but often it just made the cars a pain in the rear end to work on. It's possible it contributed to the useful lifespan of the vehicles, but they had terrible electrical problems and a lot of those cars have lots of poo poo broken. Those fuses alone were a crime against automotive decency and that fuel injection system was Kafka-esque.

There's definitely a 'bulletproof' myth about old cars that pops up on car blogs and forums. Sure, a Mercedes or Volvo 240 will run forever, but does anyone mention all the weekends spent wrenching, reading cryptic forums and the thousands of dollars for that to happen? I guess it's similar to when someone looks at an insanely difficult project car and thinks 'that's an easy fix.'

W124 build quality was pretty good for the early 80's, but the car came from the factory riddled with expensive and really stupid flaws caused by German engineerink hubris or something. And all of them on the road today need a rolling restoration. There are a few reasons to buy an elderly Mercedes-Benz, but safety, reliability and low costs aren't any of them.