Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Input shaft gear failure that also wrecked the countershaft on a ZF 5-speed mated to a Ford 460:

How? I don't know. I bought the truck knowing the trans was bad, although I'm sure the PO's running it dry (!) didn't help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

joat mon posted:

Input shaft gear failure that also wrecked the countershaft on a ZF 5-speed mated to a Ford 460

frozenphil posted:

Really? You have no idea how a transmission that dies behind the torque of a stock 302 died behind a 460? Those input shafts are notorious. Bob Cosby went through a couple dozen during his run for the championship in NMRA Factory Stock with his '99 Cobra making all of 350hp.

Bob Cosby thinks he broke 5 using a T45 in 2001:

quote:

Who's broke their stock input shaft launching on slicks? Who hasn't
12-27-2006, 10:29 AM
Never busted one on launch. However, in 2001, I broke five (5) T45 input shafts on BFG DRs. Three of them on the 3/4 shift. 2 of them on the 2/3 shift.

I sent the broken input shafts to TTC (the folks that make Tremec Trannies), and they summized that I was doing the damage to the input shafts on launch, and they were then snapping on the shifts into the higher gears.

99 Cobra
2005 Harley FXDWG Dyna Wide Glide
http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=866236

Also, I don't think the ZFs were stock for Mustangs, and the NMRA Factory Stock class rules in general seem to be pretty strict that only stock parts are allowed.
As for specifics,

quote:

2.12a) PERMITTED MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS:
Tremec T5, Tremec T45, Tremec T56, Tremec TR3550, Tremec TR3650, Tremec TKO, Tremec TKO-500, TKO-600, & Tremec TKOII.
http://www.stangcrazy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=468

And (although I don't know squat about drag racing) wouldn't a 5.72 first gear be too low?

On the other hand, there's a Ford Wrecker in my area that makes exactly the same sound as my transmission made.

As to how the input shaft failed, I was wondering about the immediate cause - a dumped clutch, a hard pull with too heavy a load, etc. or was it just too many miles with too much torque and too little lubrication?

As to how generally, the first owner had installed a Banks Powerpack that Banks says adds 95 ft-lbs, so the truck was capable of sending 485 ft-lbs through a transmission rated for 420. (He removed the powerpack before he sold the truck to owner #2)

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

ab0z posted:

Well a locomotive needs lots of torque and amazing reliability. I bet that 4000hp locomotive engine makes a lot more than 4000 ft-lb of torque.

23,342 lb-ft

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

meltie posted:

I don't wash my car when it's misbehaved.

Doctor Zero posted:

You have the cause and effect reversed. Clean cars run better. You're just getting it stuck in a vicious cycle.

jammyozzy posted:

You're doing that the wrong way around, clean it and it'll run better, neglect it and it'll break just to spite you. As soon as I washed my car it stopped pissing coolant and oil, then a bird shat on it, I haven't bothered cleaning it and it's started being difficult again.

meltie posted:

Woah, weird. One response and i'd laugh it off. Two and I guess it must be serious. I guess carrots work better than sticks?

meltie posted:

I've fixed two of the three main issues now, when i've fixed everything and it's being a good car again it will be rewarded with a detailing. I'm also torturing myself with blown speakers, I won't replace those until the rest of the car's behaving too...

NO NO NO. You can never fix the last thing on the list, because something new will go wrong, and you're stuck in a vicious cycle. Like the others said, wash the car; BUT DO NOT fix the last thing.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Slung Blade posted:

Falling Water for the trailer set.

e:clarity

joat mon fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 27, 2010

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

FatCow posted:

If there was a way to "win" AI finding the backstory for that would do it.
http://www.marinediesels.info/Horror%20Stories/testbed_smash.htm
This site doesn't know much more than that it was a MAN B&W 2-stroke testbed, but they have more pictures.

Other pictures and stories of horrible mechanical failures:
http://www.marinediesels.info/Horror%20Stories/horror_story_intro.htm

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Petekill posted:

I may be blind, but can someone point out to me where the problem is?

here?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Horrible biological failure:

An uncovered vertical exhaust pipe? How could that be a good idea?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

c355n4 posted:

Is that an acorn?! :psyduck:

Yes, but thankfully the mud daubers partially filled the exhaust pipe with mud so no more acorns would fit.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

EightBit posted:

The tip doesn't look too bad, just got some dirt on it. Hit it with some wd40 and get that crap off of it and it should be good. Now, if the rotor was that dirty, maybe the gasket around the cap was bad?

Also, the spark plugs in that thing must have hair-thin electrodes that are more carbon than steel.

What is the relationship between that dirty rotor and hair-thin spark plug electrodes that are more carbon than steel?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Does anyone else get a slight :gonk: feeling when they find a random wheelnut/bolt lying in the road?

Looks like you've got yourself a Thor with the Motronic system there. Just bear in mind if it's a 4.0, you probably don't get the cross-bolted mains, I think only the factory 4.6s get those.

Any particular reason for doing it? I've always believed that the only reason the Rover holds sway in the UK is availability and nostalgia, the US has so many V8s that will make more power cheaper and more reliably.

I believe when they went from the 3.9 (3946cc) to the 4.0 (3946cc) it got cross-bolted mains.

You could put it in my TR7...

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

InitialDave posted:

I wasn't sure. You definitely get the full-width bearing blocks, the different head bolt arrangement and so on, but I seem to have this thing in my head about the 4.0 not getting the crossbolting.

Not that it's hard to check. Bolt heads on the side of the block? There you go!

If Motronic can give a yes/no, I'd be interested in a definite answer.

FWIW: http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan/40difference.htm

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Brake shoes aren't supposed to fall off like this when you pull the drum off...

And wraparound adjusting levers weren't a factory option

definitely

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Raluek posted:

What gets me is that he was storing a tank without the heavy caps over the valves that keep this from happening. Every time I think about moving a tank I imagine how easy it would be to knock the valve into something or drop the tank onto the valve or something. Gives me the willies. Don't welding instructors always drill that into you? Always use the cap!

The little consumer sized tanks don't have caps.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Horrible entomological failure.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

JD Brickmeister posted:

In 1990-91 I had an '86 Chevette with about 60k, pulled out of a rest-stop on the interstate and had the thing floored and was frustrated that for some reason I couldn't get past about 65 or so. Took me awhile to realize I hadn't shifted to 4th(:420:), and thus had been well over the redline for at least 30 seconds.

No damage, amazingly enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlIlz1_a4-s#t=3m9s
WHAT GEAR ARE YOU IN?!?
GEAR?!?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

XK posted:

First she said the truck cut her off, now she says the brakes on an effectively brand new Porsche failed and did nothing when she pressed them. I'm going to say yes, Lindsay Lohan qualifies.

Duh, it was the ABS ice mode.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

kastein posted:

Do I spy water mixed in with that lube?
There was just enough lube mixed in with the water to make a very thin emulsion. (No chunks, though!)
The lube you see in the second and third pics was added after I opened it up.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Citroen DS had the spare in the engine compartment, too.
It did not come with a jack, though.
(because you didn't need one)

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

One of these poorly cellphone photographed oil pump drive gears is not like the other ...

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Savington posted:

I am not pedantic enough to torque most bolts, but flywheel bolts are on the "torque it" list.
The word you are looking for is punctilious, or perhaps fastidious.

peremptive edit:
yes. :thejoke:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Das Volk posted:

Shut up you Soviets!
:gonk:

So you can go faster if your speedo uses imperial?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Ferremit posted:

Seriously- how the gently caress do you crack a 42" thick reinforced concrete containment building?

First, you forget to add steel reinforcement to the dome on top of the 130 foot wide, 190 foot tall containment building.

Then, you repair the dome by adding more reinforcement to the dome but don't add any reinforcement to the walls holding up the now much heavier dome.

30 years later, hire Bubba to cut a 25 foot by 27 foot hole in the 42 inch thick reinforced concrete containment building in order to replace the steam generators. (Instead of hiring the $15 million eggheads who have already done it right several times)

Be surprised when the wall cracks.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

On the topic of nuclear reactors, Sweden's first experimental nuclear reactor R1 was built in the basement of the royal institute of technology, smack in the middle of our capital, in a time when nuclear research basically amounted to "let's smack these two things together and see what happens :pseudo:".

The first self-sustaining nuclear reaction ever took place a dozen years before R1 in the middle of Chicago, in a converted handball court under the grandstands at the University of Chicago's football staduim.
e: links

joat mon fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 9, 2013

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

(ball bearings)

joat mon fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 21, 2013

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

dietcokefiend posted:

What the hell happened to that thing? Did that transfer case /transmission eat a loving extension cord? What is all that copper wire from?

PainterofCrap posted:

First guess is: electromagnetic valve timing module.

or: magneto? Is that a small engine?

Slavvy posted:

Looks to me like an electrically controlled transfer case, the copper wire is from the magnetic sleeve that rams the hi/lo selector forward.

'95 Explorer. 4WD is actuated by an electromagnet (that is supposed to be sealed)

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Slavvy posted:

IV8 can you please explain to me exactly what truck ramps are meant to do? How does crashing the truck into a big mound of whatever help anything?

We don't have them here (or really, really big trucks for that matter) so I don't really get the circumstances that they're supposed to be useful in. Are they just dotted around everywhere because brake failures on trucks are really common? Or are they put in certain places because brakes fail more often there? Or something...?

American roads are weird.

Where are you? They're all over the world (where there are mountains)

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Slavvy posted:

I'm in new Zealand, we have an upper weight limit on our trucks that was only lifted recently. There are no such ramps in the north island, where I live, as far as I've seen. There may be some in the south island but I'm not aware of it. The overwhelming majority of very long straight sloped roads are motorways which are totally enclosed; there aren't many (or any) mountain roads I can think of that trucks actually use because most mountains are usually circumvented.

This is really interesting and I genuinely had no idea such things existed until reading this forum!

You're in luck!

Sort of. This one's on the south island.
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=&hl=en&ll=-44.041063,169.381333&spn=0.00268,0.005681&t=k&z=18

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

What utter poo poo. It doesn't look anything like the carbon fibre of a Veyron Grand Sport Vitesse. They should be ashamed, trying to race where they obviously don't belong. Why did they even show up? What were the organizers thinking?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

For better or worse, both decency and 'gently caress you' tend to be self-fulfilling.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

B-1 brake packs.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

kastein posted:

He posted more pics

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/1421993-lq4-lq9-flywheel-carnage-inside.html

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Right. If you turn on the lights, the foglights will be on.
I've fixed it now, but Jesus, who does that?
:911:
Americans.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

kastein posted:

Gee, wonder why the transmission wouldn't go into gear?

PS: transmissions run better on ATF than on water, especially when it's frozen.

(I am pretty sure that's a 93.5-98 jeep grand cherokee with a 4.0L engine, but could be wrong.)

So how can you tell what's wrong before you even remove the p...:aaaaa:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

tater_salad posted:

:stare:

I can't even fathom what allowed that huge rear end piece of metal to be bent like a banana.

The internet says that conrod is from a Wartsila-Sulzer RTA96-C, so depending on the number of cylinders,

between 2 1/2 and 5 1/2 million ft/lbs of torque.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

kastein posted:

Jesus christ. 5.5M foot pounds is literally half a mile-ton of torque.

Or 150 rod-tons.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Darchangel posted:

I'd be terrified to ride a bike that the SPOKES are stronger than the forks on.

Also, if the wheel had the full complement of spokes, this wouldn't have happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Can we not just look up the engine model and see if it's interference or not? What engine was it? The '97 A6 (C4 chassis) came with 8 gasoline and 3 diesel engines.

His picture looks like the passenger side bank of the 2.8l V6 which is an interference engine.
The 5-cylinder gas engines were non-interference but weren't available in 97(?)

http://raauto.com/pages/timing%20belt%20replacement%20guide.pdf