Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

kastein posted:

Better than the alternative, which is pumping coolant into the fuel passages... and better than the alternative 6.ohno, which is great for stretching head bolts from what I hear!

Ask me anything about owning a 6.0 for one night and having blown HGs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Powershift posted:

What interest rate did you finance it at?

All of them.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Could be worse.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's not just retreads that separate. Any tire that's not correctly inflated and overloaded will.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

FuzzKill posted:

Those whiteblock volvo's have an aluminum 'valve cover' (really the cam cover as it has half of the cam bearing on it). What melted is the plastic coil/sight cover.

Something like this ...

May favorite part is the dual ports for the oil filler cap so they could put it in whichever location was best depending on the vehicle ... or you could run 2!

I always make sure to refill my oil equally from both sides.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Soon.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Safety Dance posted:

That happened to a friend of mine's RX7. I passed a car that had broken down in lane 3 of 5 lane Interstate and thought, "That looks like Chris's car!". Then I looked at the guy standing at the side of the road and thought, "That looks like Chris!"

Turns out he hadn't used a torque wrench, and had torqued his lug bolts unevenly. He learned that lesson. Fortunately, a cop was nice enough to grab his wheel, which wound up in the left side brakedown lane.

Who actually does that? I've never seen anyone do anything other than tighten them with a tire iron in a cross pattern.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

UraniumAnchor posted:

More like horrible mechanic failure:

(annotation not mine)

"Why won't the clutch disengage?"

It's the hot new thing to do.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

some texas redneck posted:

Go home valves, you're drunk.

Buy 7 new valves and a pot of lapping compound. gtg.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

kastein posted:

I'll be honest, I put the 4-way on mine and crank the motherfuck out of them. I do use the proper star pattern though. They're on and off the truck so often they never have half a chance of getting seized between removals, and I've never had a wheel come loose, except that one time where I wasn't careful to get all the grime off a wheel mounting surface after dropping a drum face down on a wet dirt road. Even then, I figured out what was going on well before the wheel fell off, and it wasn't really the fault of my torquing procedure, if it's worth calling that.

Never broken a stud, never stripped a lug nut, never had a wheel come off due to improper torque.

Those stupid OEM lug nuts with the chromeplate sheetmetal condom can go straight to hell though, I spent ten minutes digging a cap out of my lug wrench once and haven't used OEM lug nuts on the truck since then. The crapcan DD still has them on it, but won't within a few weeks. I usually carry the old OEM lug nuts and a couple lug studs in the center console in case someone I know ends up needing one in a pinch or something.

Same. When i tighten a lug nut, they STAY tightened.

(Read: Stir welded together.)

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
VREEEEEEWHOMPCRASH

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

chrisgt posted:

Another one that's hard to beat is an older subaru GL. Especially with a pushrod motor swap, nothing complicated at all.

A lot of messy wires, but fairly simple to work on.

Related content, I 1200 miles from home living in a stupid house (ruining the driveway with leaky oil and rust), when my clutch failed. This is how I fixed that situation.

EDIT: I have a rather wide screen, maybe everyone doesn't timg'd the last 2.

Daylight in your engine bay fight!

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

PainterofCrap posted:

Boy, does that ever belong in this thread. Enjoy the 3-second blizzard out your tailpipe the first time you floor it!

How? There's nothing in them!

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Vigo327 posted:

And there it is.

I assume you mean "Do you rev higher than stock?" when you say 'it' is a valid question. I'll give the benefit of the doubt and assume that was his NEXT question.

GUYS HELP ME FIGURE OUT WHY THIS PART BROKE AND ALSO WHY I'M A DICK TO PEOPLE I WANT THINGS FROM KTHXBYE

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Fart Pipe posted:

That car is so gorgeous.

He has nothing better to do than mess with fomocos up in the wilderness of canada.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Fart Pipe posted:

Yea that's the one I have but the other one looks better if it just pivots on that one point.

I have a Bluepoint tool that's basically a impact pen with a retainer holder. It's pretty awesome.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Slavvy posted:

I think you have what I was referring to.

Yeah, i didn't see your post when i made mine. It's listed by Blue Point as a Valve Keeper Remover/Installer. Surprisingly affordable too.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=643044&group_ID=675633&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Steam cleaning with a moderate chance of hydro locking.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Powershift posted:

Quick, how much do i bid.

$500, pray, make fummins.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Nah, it's fine.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Farking Bastage posted:

My first ride ( Early 1990's) '79 Wagoneer

Fucker would get past anything but a gas station. AWD with an AMC 360 2 speed Powerglide Auto. Almost hit a corolla head on overtaking in bad visibility, went into a ditch at 60+ MPH, came out the other side unharmed. The Corolla flipped. I was 16 and 2 months. Didn't drive again for a year. Luckily no one was killed.

To be pedantic, your '79 Wagoneer had a TH400 Three speed :)

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

InitialDave posted:

No, I understand that just fine. It doesn't matter. That issue affects your decisions for transportation between cities, the situation within the cities themselves is no different.

The Aussies don't drive roadtrains through dowtown Sydney (Unless they've been drinking, someone bet them they couldn't, or it seems like a bit of a laugh).

Awesome, so you have a great plan for 5% of the country. What about the rest of it?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

InterceptorV8 posted:

Yes, we should know, but that doesn't include people being fuckups.

See:

Road crews that patch roads too thick and cause an oops.

Drivers being dumb

New York using a retarded, non standard way to measure poo poo.

Case in point:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6114018,-119.8507659,3a,75y,209.3h,78.33t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sRIxDaPbru4femjLtPCerNA!2e0 I can't remember 100% if this is the case, but one of these is now a 13'11" overpass (in a 14' state) and will also be the main route to get to the new Amazon warehouse.

See anything missing in the picture?

As someone who just got his CDL-A in New York, gently caress bridge height signs. They are NEVER ANYWHERE near the actual heights.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'd put money on him switching jobs without switching programs.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Drive without shocks. That'll cure all the problems.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Splizwarf posted:

It's a BMW.

It's a bmw DESIGN.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Geirskogul posted:

No, it's a Soviet copy of a BMW design. And Chiangjiang is a Chinese copy of a Soviet copy of a BMW design.

You're saying exactly what i said. Ural makes a bike with (originally..) war captured tooling.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

More noise, more better.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Motronic posted:

Wait.....how did it fall OUT of the mounts? I get hitting the hood, but is there really enough space in there (presumably with bad transmission mounts also) to actually fall out of the actual metal mounts when the rubber mounts have failed?

Or is that a front wheel drive vehicle in which case I have no real interest or knowledge about how the mounts work?

FWD.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Show up and ask him to demo it for you.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I honestly don't know why people care about panel gap. As long as they're even, it's the last thing in my mind.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Safety Dance posted:

Panel gap is an obvious sign that build quality may be shoddy.

e. Also: my drag coefficient!

My avatar is a good sign of how much i value build quality.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Motronic posted:

Casting thickness in that area. They tried to shave metal from places it shouldn't have been shaved from and there aren't enough threads left.

The 3v "oops, my plugs all broke off" issue was a plug problem, not a head problem.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

kastein posted:

Can you tilt at this windmill in the chat thread so we don't all have to scroll past it maybe? Jesus. Also, you're arguing with totalnewbie, a guy who only like, does this professionally, while armed with google and forums knowledge.

PS: someone linked a video from some Bosch engineer (I forget who) who basically stated that EU emissions laws are much more political in nature and EPA ones are far more based in science. No one loving said anything about NOx's GWP, the problem is that it produces nitric acid when combined with water, and that NOx, SOx, and HCs cause smog. I don't know if the EU has smog issues anywhere, but American emissions laws are strongly based on the fact that you couldn't loving breathe in LA in the 70s because of it.

This is pretty lame as a mechanical failure, but at least it's a mechanical failure. My exhaust suddenly got a lot louder last week.

Backseat mod much? lol

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

kastein posted:

I don't give a poo poo if he catches a probation for it, hell I haven't used my report button in weeks. I just get tired of reading it/giving up and scrolling.

I'd pay to see what percentage of AI reports are from you, lol.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Gay Weed Dad posted:

Without adding to the fire, would a battery tender be able to resolve this issue?

No, you'd need to ban all the bad posters like totalnewbie, iwentdoodie, throatwarbler, etc and actually crack down on the AI cliqish cult bullshit behavior that is rampant here. Even the joke forums like GBS are better moderated than this shithole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Enourmo posted:

Jesus do I have to post the loving broken linkage on my umbrella to get this thread back on track?

Textbook fatigue failure, that's one of 2 that cracked and 2 more are broken already. Anyone know where I can get a steel-hinged one? :v:

Real men use a discarded highway hole plate as a umbrella.