Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lancer8XT
Mar 27, 2010
I've been lurking for a bit but decided that I might as well make a first post with some content.

1998 Pontiac Grand am gt, with the infamous 3100 v6. Was in the shop getting the headgasket replaced (lol GM3100 headgaskets) and apparently when the tech reassembled it he put the intake rods under the exhaust valves and vice versa. Turns out, one of them is longer. Bolted it all back together, turned the key, and bam. Free engine rebuild for me. I got to keep a few of the bent rods.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Also, pushrods. :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lancer8XT
Mar 27, 2010

ModernDayDiogenes posted:

As someone who works at a shipyard, I feel the need to see more examples of bad stuff happening on big metal floating things.

USS Hartford, aftermath of a collision with the USS New Orleans. The submarine is sitting even in the water. The sail is not.
15 members of the sub crew were injured, but no fatalities.

Click here for the full 600x896 image.

Do you by any chance work at the yard where they sent the Hartford for repairs? I was an intern there for a few years and am starting full time in july. Apparently they were at a training exercise and she tried to surface underneath the New Orleans. I wasn't there when she got brought in but from what I heard, it held up to the damage miraculously well for what had happened. A guy I know was stationed on her at the time of the accident, and he said he was sleeping in the torpedo room and woke up on the wall, since she was pitched about 45* off keel.

anyway, for content,

I was on my school's FSAE team (villanova) and although I wasn't at the competition when this happened, we show the video as a lesson why you put rod ends in tension/compression, and not bending. :science:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJL4-wGPjCo

The fact that both the wheels lose it at the same time shows that it was a suspension failure, and not loose lugs like the video implies.