Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Awesome house if you hate functionality and like houses that break a lot. It's fitting that it was posted in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bidikyoopi posted:

Haha, I know that spiteful driver, but I'm talking about the douches that pull fully into the oncoming lane when making a left turn. If someone lost their brakes or wasn't paying attention, they would go right into the driver's side door. And yeah, don't be a pushover, but you don't want to be that guy that's so afraid of getting traffic-goosed that they drive like a straight-up retard.

You really can't turn left anywhere without a signal inside of 128 without doing that though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

i had the opposite experience. i went and drove my car for the first time in 2 weeks today and everyone else who was out was creeping along at like 12 mph

In town here is super slow, but that's because lots of people are walking / biking / running in the shoulders of residential streets to maintain distance. People see pretty chill overall. Biek guys out in force. I haven't driven too far on the freeway so I don't know how that's looking but I assume people are drivin real fast because they already drive pretty fast here in Michigan.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

yeah this is what ive seen too. the only people out driving are the people who already rolled through stop signs and now they're emboldened because there's nobody out there to hit

definitely true, i see tons of people just blowin stop signs, making illegal turns, etc

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Darchangel posted:

One could argue that a significant portion of the people out driving around are the same folks who still think that COVID-19 is a hoax or no worse than the flu, given that they *are* out driving around. So, you know, stupid self-centered assholes.

true, i never really thought of that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BigPaddy posted:

Olds, Buick and Pontiac used the same platform but Olds went FWD because.... it was cool or something?

in complete earnestness: yes, it was cool and futuristic

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

StormDrain posted:

All of the futuristic technology of a 1937 Cord.

or a Traction Avant

but FWD was not really mainstream at that point

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

There wasn't any real advantage to it with body-on-frame construction. Early versions like Cord's were complicated and unreliable.

The move to unibody in the 50s got everybody to start taking another look at it. The Toronado was a niche market car that could afford to take a chance on something unique.

yes, aren't you agreeing with me here? FWD was seen as exotic and high tech so it made sense to roll the dice with one of the stablemates

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

very common in skiing/riding, surfing, powersports, other XTREEM sports

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

great song choices

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Godholio posted:

Well poo poo, I always assumed it was a physical connection.

Same, that's fascinating and makes complete sense now that I know it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Memento posted:

The driver has to countersteer constantly to keep it in the same lane.

this isn't necessarily true - the front and rear axles can be parallel without the body being true to those parallel lines - the car at that point is essentially a parallelogram.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

It wanted to turn right, not left :(

reverse nascar

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Darchangel posted:

As always, I am amazed at what people will ignore/put up with.

its mostly super poor people

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

sorry, i meant that really more specifically in reference to crabbing vehicles. they are almost always older BOF vehicles that are usually owned by less affluent people. you're absolutely right that people put up with all kinds of stuff. hell my wife will only occasionally tell me if the car is doing something strange.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Computer viking posted:

I wonder if these are the same people that walk around with weird medical issues until they are too critical to ignore?

again a lot of these people are poor or don't have health insurance but that's cool too

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

that's one of the problems with the giant wheels every OEM insists on putting on cars and CUVs. i'm glad the alltrack only takes 16" tires.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

taqueso posted:

Aren't tires for larger wheels generally less rubber and slightly less expensive? Assuming the same total diameter and model

rubber cost is not a major driver of tire cost

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

doesn't the i3 run some 22" moon wheel

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

for older cars a bunch of vintage small tires are being re-released but they're not that cheap

you can get cinturato CN36s new from pirelli, for instance

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Midjack posted:

I agree almost as hard as the jolt I took from a pothole that destroyed a tire and bent a 20” wheel.

I mashed the gently caress out of a 18" wheel last year and killed a 1000 mile PS4 :(

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Darchangel posted:

That reminds me that I had a pothole bite one of the 18s (245/45, IIRC) on my CV a couple years ago. Thankfully didn't hurt the wheel.

I found out that although it's still possible to get a Style 65 wheel from BMW but at minimum it costs $500. I killed the gently caress outta that wheel.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

chrisgt posted:

I dunno, I kinda get it. I'm complete poo poo at properly adulting with money. Not like I'm always broke or anything, I just hurfed all my money into a checking account until my wife said "you're a loving idiot, why don't you adult better."
I dunno, I just don't care? Can't be bothered to fix it? Don't realize it's bad?
I'm that way with a lot of things, I can see how people are that way with cars.

We're all obsessive about something and can't understand how the rest of the world treats that something with disrespect, but the converse is also true. You don't realize what you don't care about, so you don't know you're doing it.

yep, there's only so much you can actually really pay attention to, let alone do for yourself

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Darchangel posted:

Well, yes, but it seems like maybe one should pay attention to the multi-thousands or ten-thousands machine that makes it possible for one to do stuff like go to work and pay for the aforementioned machine, plus rent/mortgage, food, and other little details. I mean, if you need it for that. Some parts of the world have a reasonable mass transit system.

poo poo one would think that it might be beneficial to know how to cook, or to fix any number of things in your house, or adhere to a budget, or responsibly save money, or whatever, and you'd be right - but millions of people don't know how to do that poo poo.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Darchangel posted:

Almost like stuff like that should be taught in primary education. It sort of was when I was in junior- and high school. I took “Recordkeeping” which taught me how to make a budget, balance a checkbook, and other financial record-keeping stuff. “Keyboarding” (typing class, but on computers, because they were still sorta new in the ‘80s, yes, I’m old), home-ec, and such. We also still had a voc-ed program. I took metal shop, but wood shop and the mechanics shop would have been useful, too.
That’s all gone away, mostly, since it doesn’t count toward the standardized testing required to receive funding.

There's plenty of people older than me (or you) that don't know gently caress about this stuff either despite having been nominally taught it in school.

I agree with you that we should definitely encourage some practical programs, and vocational programs are really good. I took some auto shop and mechanical drafting and stuff like that, it was pretty awesome despite me being a "traditionally sucessful" AP class student.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

LifeSunDeath posted:

Died doing what he loved...being burnt alive.

dont kink shame

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i got my wife one of their hair dryers and evidently that thing is bitchin

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

LifeSunDeath posted:

reminds me of mid-engine that have a tendency to split in half

but it happened in the front lol.

the difference is that this is purposeful and the other was uh, not

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Plus you can make the occupant safety cage stronger and lighter since it is smaller.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

taqueso posted:

What is a bung in this situation? I'm imagining it has solid material on both sides of the wall, but I thought a bung was something like a cork. Also, what does the figure-8 shaped setup that fell over normally do?

a bung is the thing the cork sticks in to

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

STR posted:

Or refuse to come detached when they break, since GM decided to plastic-melt-rivet-whatever them to the door cards on some cars (looking at you, HHR).

dont look at a HHR you'll go blind!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the HHR answered the question "what if we made the PT cruister, but actually sort of decent"

nobody had asked that question tho

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

alfa mastered syncros on every gear but 2nd

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

their mission statement is do it as cheaply as possible, i think that's fine for some tools

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

AFewBricksShy posted:

The ones I have (69597) aren't even listed as an option. I have no idea if they are safe or not.

i don't think i'd trust them after all of this

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

I'd expect that unless the jackstands are clearly stamped MADE IN USA OUT OF BATTLESHIP STEEL they all come from the same three factories regardless of the manufacturer, and are all equally susceptible to the same types of manufacturing error. The fact that one model number hasn't been recalled doesn't necessarily mean that it hasn't got any hidden problems.

Maybe the best move would just be to use six stands instead of four, so one can fail without bringing the car down.

I think the manufacturing error was in the ratchet/pawl mechanism, so therefore just buy ones with pins.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the LLV is poo poo and I believe there were plans in the works to replace them with Transit Connects but that got axed because they are made in Turkey or whatever

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Darchangel posted:

At least you have one or more official languages.
The US has none, other than the de facto English, which, given how many people *in* the US speak (Mexican) Spanish, may not be de facto a whole lot longer. Pretty much all government forms are in both. I often wonder how that makes our fairly numerous Korean, Vietnamese, and Chinese citizens feel.

When I lived in Boston, documents were available in Vietnamese, Chinese, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, and Kreyol Ayisyen off the top of my head.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Colostomy Bag posted:

So, uh, where do you source parts for a Zamboni?

The manufacturer, which would probably be Zamboni, Resurfice, or Engo. A bunch of the running gear of older rigs is pretty standard automotive components.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

MrYenko posted:

:eng101:

The original Zamboni prototype, and all production models until the HD series starting in 1964 were modified Willys Jeep chassis and running gear.

I have literally no idea why I know this. I don’t skate. I’ve never skated. I grew up and live in a place where water doesn’t freeze outside.

:shrug:

Yup! I figured it wasn't that old though because all the OGs have rusted to poo poo.