Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Very timely.... salvage of the TK Bremen, which ran aground in France.

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2012/01/salvaging-the-tk-bremen/100231/

Captain dropped anchor in a storm but the anchors dragged across the bottom and it went ashore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

opengl128 posted:

loving hell. No annual inspections in your state?

Wisconsin doesn't have an inspection of any sort (either)... you see some interesting heaps rolling around as a result. Or not rolling around, just sideways on the shoulder with broken tie rods after hitting a pothole.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

some texas redneck posted:

Mother of god.

Our roads buckle a bit during obscene summers, but nothing like that. Why the gently caress was the road even open?!

Despite the appearance, that is a rural road. My understanding is that it developed a ridge which led to Wisc DOT putting out those ridge signs. Later on as it got hotter the road actually buckled causing that accident. We're not used to heat like this in Wisconsin....

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Godholio posted:

I'm sure it's very common for customers to cross-shop M3s and Suburbans.

The point was not that the vehicles are comparable, but that the generalization that (all) DBW is crap is a false one.

The DBW system in the Suburban probably does suck, but it sucks because it's GM and not because it's DBW.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Not everyone is following that... every hydrant around here is top to bottom red.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Is that a Mazda engine by any chance? There was a recall on Protege's due to those little screws coming out and doing exactly that.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Two Finger posted:

Do you need me to start posting some ship-based failures?

Please. Always love seeing maritime disasters... I think it's that they're always much bigger in scale.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

That video led me to this wonderful clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufx5x1ZLmec

Whoops.

E: Unless it was an intentional beaching for a chop yard.

That actually seems rather deliberate.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Farking Bastage posted:

How can something that is shorter than the ink pen in the background and no more than 3-4" inches tall weigh 20 pounds without either being pure tungsten, lead, or a Meteorite. Even the first two is a stretch.

I think that's an optical illusion. The better size reference is the very blurry Canon lens cap (round black thing) in the second photo. That hunk is pretty big!

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Hey look someone who has worse welds than Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester!

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
It's not like anyone on the line would know any better, they just do what the computer tells them to do. It sounds like this was a widespread problem, so it was probably some fuckup by someone doing the computer programming of what should be put in where.

I like the letter, they at least tried to put some levity in the situation. I would have liked to have seen a blanket offer for a loaner/rental vehicle though, considering this was anticipated to take two days and it was their own error.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Polymerized Cum posted:

If the same quality assurance and inspection standards applied to your car as they did a commercial aircraft, they would never allow us to drive.

A entry level car would also cost $250k new.

http://www.cessna.com/single-engine/skyhawk

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Hurricane Katrina

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I always rent from Penske... the equipment has always been in good shape and with my AAA discount they're not a whole lot more expensive than the uhaul garbage.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
2013 Cadillac ATS heater core replacement:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
E46 BMW 3 Series

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

DefaultPeanut posted:

Warranty flat rate time ?

Image was lifted from Reddit, but the poster there said book time was 9 hours heh.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
2011 Camaro heater core replacement... also from Reddit where the OP said that the windshield has to be removed to get the dash out.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Warning, I'd guess this dude had some pretty serious injuries from this, but nothing gory is shown.

Tire explosion caught on video: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=9b7_1388141366

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Order soon, there is proposed regulation capping personal lasers at 500mw or something like that.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Whoops

http://www.jsonline.com/multimedia/photos/tipped-crane-crushes-two-cars-b99266733z1-258669371.html

Slide show/gallery

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
The overhead view is quite spectacular

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Found another pic of that truck/bridge impact.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Tactical Bonnet posted:

If that's a high enough speed bridge I bet some people did.

My first thought was "oh holy gently caress."

Did that pylon suddenly drop or was it gradual?

edit: content for ants

That's the Leo Frigo Memorial Bridge in Green Bay, WI.

Chemical contamination in the soil caused the concrete to basically fail and the sag was indeed sudden. The bridge carries I-43 so it's likely a 55 mph zone there.

This happened last fall, repairs are already completed

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
The picture is too confusing without the explanation, but :wtf:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Justrolledintotheshop/comments/2gkmbl/one_of_the_most_truly_evil_jobs_weve_had_in_while/

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I know I am like five pages late for rental car chat, but let's have a review:

Mazda 2: godawful
Mitsubishi Galant: really bad
Chevy Cruze: pretty good actually, not terribly fun though
VW Jetta: drives nice, lacked features
Nissan Sentra: tied for worst rental with Galant. The 2 gets a pass because it's a lower tier rental than
everything else
Mazda 3: fine, legroom sucks
Ford Focus 4 door: pretty decent, great gas mileage
Honda Civic Eco: pretty good

The Cruze is actually my favorite because it had the most extra features, but if I was going to buy one of these it would be the Honda most likely.

I also daily drive a Ford Escape awd, ecoboost turbo, and I actually like it a lot. Granted I do not pay for maintenance but the thing has serious power and pretty good features, wouldn't want to pay the asking price myself though.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

the spyder posted:

What's your MPG on the AWD Ecoboost excape? I'm looking at one this weekend, seeing as I need a 4 door car now.

It has a sweet spot between 65 and 70 where it can get close to 30mpg, anything above it and you're getting around 23-26.

City mileage is decent for an suv but certainly not great. It has great power though and zero turbo lag.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
zip tie on the drive shaft or CV

stick random wheel weights in random places (on the wheels).

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Preoptopus posted:

Why not just take the valve core out?

Because that would make sense and then we couldn't collectively piss our pants and try to out do each other in our expressions of pathetic terror.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Just some random crap from reddit

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Booourns posted:

I'd prefer if people would stop using this as a random chat thread honestly.

Says the guy who hasn't posted a single picture in the entire 524 page thread

Be the change you wish to see on the forums

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Powershift posted:

There is no god, only rust.

I sent my Protege to the scrap yard for less than that, dear rust

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Nah someone had bondo'd over the rust to make it look better, probably so they could sell it off and make it someone elses problem.

The PO is always a motherfucker.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
~~ just ford things ~~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czyaZmYz9FQ

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

some texas redneck posted:

Along these lines, all of my smoke detectors are of the ionization type (so radioactive).

They're supposed to be replaced every 10 years, technically. They're 21 years old, so we're wanting to replace them.

How the hell do I dispose of 8 of the drat things legally? 7 of them still work properly (1 has a very weak sounder, and causes all of the others to flip their poo poo if you so much as sneeze in its direction or even touch it - changing the backup battery in that one is always fun), but we plan to sell the house next year, and that's one thing we'll get dinged on if a remotely competent inspector gets hired (plus it's just the right thing to do.. and would take about an hour and less than $100 anyway).

http://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2012/pb22334/html/cover_025.htm

lol option: don't bother with looking up the brand, just mail them off to one of the manufacturers and don't use a return address.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Midjack posted:

Lol if you think anyone will ship a box with no return address.

What is the USPS gonna do if you toss the box in a mail collection bin? Nothing.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I really doubt the UPSP goes through that amount of trouble, either way you have won the game of hot potato. who cares if they xray the package, at this point it is not your problem.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Does every part on a car need to last the lifetime of the vehicle? At what point is it acceptable to expect that things will need occasional replacement?

This seems like a lot of teeth gnashing over something pretty minor.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Black88GTA posted:

The only way I can think that this would make sense is if the fuse box internals changed from normal size fuses to minis at some point during the model run, and someone with the newer type lost the lid / acquired the car used without it, and junkyarded a replacement that happened to be from an older car? Is this even a thing that ever happens?

The fuse size did change during the model run, but Toyota didn't update the cover or the spares. Came like that from the factory.