Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010
That's why I like the TPMS implementation in my Mini. It goes by differential wheel speed so there are no sensors, it's just interpreting the ABS feedback signals. Works fine as long as one tire is low. If they're all low because of PV=NRT, it doesn't pick that up.

No pic, but I had the chromed alloy rims on our Chrysler start leaking because they corroded all around the valve stem hole. Plus there was rot underneath the chrome coating so the wheels were getting porous and wouldn't seal the bead anymore. Should have had some steelies for winter but I was a lot dumber then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

nitrogen posted:

This supercharger is a lifetime, maintenance-free part.

MINI supercharger? I keep reading about them eating all 4oz of gear oil in there, and glancing nervously at mine. I really need to pull it and drain/fill...

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

nitrogen posted:

Yep, this was on an '03 Mini Cooper S. midyear in 05 they coated the gears to help stave this off.

How many miles on yours and what year? This one had obvious oil leaks, and was making horrible noises, so as long as you don't see oil leaks or hear the supercharger death rattle, you shouldn't panic. Sometimes they leak from the back, so it's hard to tell, though.

I just passed 40k on my R53. I'll probably either do it, or have it done around 70k.

BTW, if you need a new remanufactured MINI supercharger, I recommend these dudes:
http://www.superchargertech.com/

I've got an '06 with about 96K on the clock. The leaking at the back is what I'm worried about, apparently it can suck small amounts of oil out through the seal. No noises, even with the high-tech screwdriver stethoscope. So far I've had the common stuff go out, t-stat leak and crank sensor leak. Cheap fixes but you're pretty F-ed if you let it get out of hand. Nothing picture worthy so far, gooey o-rings are boring.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

The Locator posted:

From that video it looks like the entire weight of the front of that truck was being supported by a single 5/8" (ball park on size) bolt on each side, with the coil overs attached to opposite ends (one on the head of the bolt, one of the threaded end), in horizontal shear.

Talk about an mechanical failure waiting to happen.

Yeah, but there's TWO of them so it's in double shear which is good right?

I really love the tragically undersized rotors. Probably not an issue because the braking system appears to be simply dropping the body straight onto the tires.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Rangers are the best thing. I put a Roush swaybar and some Edelbrock shocks on mine and it handles like a gokart. Turn in is even more ridiculously awesome when I toe out a bit in the front. It's the closest thing I can find to a Go-Kart-Tractor.

Do go on. The idea of a pickup that can handle intrigues me. I started looking and it seemed like more people are interested in bro lifts than re-creating an El Camino.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Please put a rubber snake up in there.

The "please call" note just screams 'crazy cat lady/dude'.

If my cat was in your engine bay I'd probably leave a note that says "blow your horn before you start your car, or your poo poo is gonna smell like charbroiled dead cat for weeks."

Just bounce on the bumper and set off the alarm. Easy peasy. If no alarm, just a quick B&E and TCB.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

Bovril Delight posted:

You'd be amazed at how many people tell me they didn't see anything and/or their backup sensor didn't detect anything when they back into poo poo.

Yup, some lady rammed her hitch receiver into the middle of my wife's hood because her ultrasonics didn't pick anything up. Problem being that the lady was driving an Escalade and my wife had a Tiburon so the sensors were probably pinging the windshield because the Escalade's bumper is so high.

The whole thing was a cock-up, actually. She was on the cell phone and stopped in an intersection halfway because she was about to run a red light, so she threw it in reverse to get out of the cross traffic. And she wasn't supposed to be driving that truck because it was her husband's company vehicle. Dumb all the way around.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Let's not forget that bigger wheels can also confuse the gently caress out of a car's ABS.

Or, the car's ABS could just be total crap like Subaru's was around 2003. Braking hard on a ripply surface in my WRX was rewarded with the ABS going apeshit and the pedal sinking to the floor. Stock wheels with whatever Falken's were popular at the time. It liked to do that in snow, too. Tons of guys just pulled the ABS fuse in anticipation of aggressive driving.

I also hate my Mini's traction control. It takes steering angle into account and won't let you give full throttle past X percent steering angle. End result is that it dies when you try to pull out in a hurry and make a turn into traffic. Luckily there's a big fuckoff switch to turn it off.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010
Three seems OK, it's a tripod. Two up front and one under the diff? Just don't lean on the back corners...

The mom-n-pop tire shop I use for rubber swaps uses low-boy jacks on the driveway. And of course Streetview has an action shot:

Hoverhonda!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dielectric
May 3, 2010
My hobby is walking through the Target parking lot looking at tupperware-clad SUVs to see what kind of bizarro cheap tires they found to put on those massive rims after they found out that a set of tires is pushing $800.