Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN

Slippery Tilde

B4Ctom1 posted:

I forgot I had this. See if you can see what happened.

Crankshaft's broke.

E: Is this that 351c Mustang(?) engine that grenaded and split in half all the way around the water jackets but looks fine at first glance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN

Slippery Tilde

This came out of my buddies Grand Cherokee. He hadn't had the money or time to fix it for a while.

And this happened to my Forester just a couple months after purchase. Previous owner had said the timing belt had just been done, which was true, but their idiot mechanic didn't bother to replace the idler pullies that had over 200k miles on them. Really not sure how it didn't grenade the motor, I was accelerating up a hill in 3rd when it let go. Got really loving lucky I guess. When we pulled the timing cover off, all the ball-bearings were imbedded in the inside of it like buckshot. Some even made it all the way through.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 10, 2012

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN

Slippery Tilde

I could watch stop-motion engine overhauls all day and never get bored.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN

Slippery Tilde

Goddamn that was some automotive poetry right there.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN

Slippery Tilde

I see two, one is mostly hidden by the brake rotor, the other is concealed by the shower of sparks.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN

Slippery Tilde

e;f,b

Looks like somebody needs the "clutch pedal is not the same as dead pedal" talk.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN

Slippery Tilde

What company do you work for so I know to never apply for a technician job there? I'd have left by now and called OSHA as I was walking out the door.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN

Slippery Tilde

A brief check of this thread confirms that she also recently destroyed a clutch and flywheel. Some people just ain't meant for driving, your sister appears to be one of them. Get her a bus-pass and a can of mace, she'll probably be safer in the long run.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN

Slippery Tilde

British people can't figure out simple things like electrical systems that don't combust as part of their normal operation, what makes you think they can build a rifle?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN

Slippery Tilde

Tactical Bonnet posted:

At least they know the breaks work.

I'm really not sure if this was intentional, but .

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN

Slippery Tilde

Looks like the adjustment screw on the bottom of a coil-over shock.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN

Slippery Tilde

Cakefool posted:

Replacing a gearbox in one of our presses today, we've come to check the timing is still good & discovered the feeder angle display goes:

359'
360'
000'
001'

This is making it interesting.

Was the designer named Bloody Stupid Johnson, by chance?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN

Slippery Tilde

Dr 14 INCH DICK Md posted:

Turns out the 4.0 is siezed.

Behold, a god who bleeds!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN

Slippery Tilde

The failure was the head bolts only being torqued to ~50ft-lbs. Although if it lasted 2 years I would call it a mechanical wonder.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN

Slippery Tilde

1) Attach breaker-bar and socket to crank pulley bolt
2) Brace breaker-bar against ground, frame, or large boulder
3) Crank engine
4) Profit

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN

Slippery Tilde

E: aaand beaten

They probably (hopefully) have the body pulled off because it's literally the only way to do any sort of meaningful work on Ford's diesel engines, but the method is still very poorly executed.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN

Slippery Tilde

I had an Interstate green-top battery that lasted 7-8 years (had been in the car 2 years before I bought the car), and was finally killed by an exhaust manifold leak that semi-melted the case. I made jokes about it when I first bought the car, because I'd heard bad things about Interstate batteries. Guess it got the last laugh.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN

Slippery Tilde

c355n4 posted:

Was stripping out a BMW for a race car build and I find this gem in the trunk...

Upon removal of the device, a long-dormant sleeper cell was activated. They are converging on your garage as we speak. Do not attempt to flee. Remember these words: "The truth is an orange bowl". Good luck.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN

Slippery Tilde

Yeah, all the turbo-plumbing related clamps on my car look just like that. Out of curiousity, what is actually the best type to use in that application?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN

Slippery Tilde

poo poo like that is why I began refusing to do any more maintenance on a family members '02 Frontier, no matter how much they offered. Even stuff that should be stupid simple like a thermostat was a descent into hell and torn knuckles.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN

Slippery Tilde

No pics because I was driving but I saw an 18 wheeler broken down on the interstate, tractor seemed to be listing ever so slightly to one side. Got closer and apparently an axle shaft decided it wanted to see the world, and took its two drive wheels along. Saw the drives/axle stub about 50yards down the road, just chilling in the median still bolted together. Luckily there was nobody else around when it failed, that could have really hosed up someone elses day.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN

Slippery Tilde

My first thought was that someones kid had somehow gotten one of those sticky-stretchy-rubbery things you get out of 25c vending machines into an engine, which was then torn asunder. The bits of bearing make it look like the same sparkly crap those toys are made from.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN

Slippery Tilde

I made $8.25 an hour as the lowest tech at a small shop (three guys including myself). I literally got paid more to clean toilets at a ski resort than I did turning wrenches on Range Rovers and Jaguars. I love fixing cars though, to me it was an awesome opportunity as my first real mechanic job. My current job pays much better and is much easier, but the job satisfaction is lower and I really miss being elbow deep in engines all day.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN

Slippery Tilde

Just after I bought my first car and hadn't the knowledge or tools to do the work myself, I paid a shop to do the axles and tie-rods. Two days later, in the middle of Friday rush hour traffic on the D.C. Beltway, the drivers side tie rod comes out of the knuckle, causing the steering to do whatever the gently caress it wanted at random times for the rest of the trip to Maryland. Once I got to a place to check what was up I discovered that whoever had done the job hadn't put a cotter pin in the nut and it backed off. That was the first and last time I let a shop touch my personal vehicles.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN

Slippery Tilde

What happens with the car, legally, in that kind of situation? Isn't it basically totalled at that point since the floor-pan is a major component of the unibody?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN

Slippery Tilde

I've got two engines to pull and a cylinder head to remove to get my cars back on the road. It's been in the upper 20s every morning this week . Why does it seem like the only time I manage to work on my poo poo is when it's cold, dark, raining, or all of the above.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN

Slippery Tilde

Pfff, you can still see the lettering in those belts. They're good for another decade at least .

My grandmas '99 Corolla still has the OEM belts and plugs too, but it also only has 75k on it. Still been nagging her to do the timing belt before dry-rot gets it.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN

Slippery Tilde

They're light-years ahead of the lovely ceramic/tin (or copper if you are lucky) bullshit that Volvo managed to get away with all the way up to 1993 on the 240.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN

Slippery Tilde

I would argue that being an auto mechanic is better than working IT because at least in most shops the customer is not allowed into the shop, allowing you to work on their pieces of poo poo in relative peace. In IT they are right next to you the entire time shrieking in your ear and suddenly all the little tools in your bag start looking like excellent ways to torture the obnoxious waste of life until they stop making noises beyond maybe a softening gurgle, the light dimming slowly in their eyes...

I only work on my own computers these days.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN

Slippery Tilde

Friar Zucchini posted:

Not the case in the shop I took my Taurus to in Arlington. Good shop too. They'd literally bring me in there and have me stand next to it while it was up on a lift and point out what particular parts needed to be replaced. "These are good, these are worn out, these are getting old, these are good, see how these are leaking stuff? they'll have to go..." They probably woulda let me stand right under it if I'd tried, but my guess is a lift isn't something you wanna trust if you can avoid it.

Funny enough the job I had at a shop was also like that, it was a small two bay with no office so every customer got to walk right in. I spent many a smoke break showing the ones who cared the E-Type that was perpetually taking up one of the bays or explaining just what was wrong with their Rover. As long as we weren't actually trying to work on something right then I actually enjoyed talking to them.

But for the most part larger and more organized shops don't let customers anywhere near the work space.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Nov 22, 2013

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN

Slippery Tilde

The story I got with this picture was that the owner drove his '30s hot rod to a drag-strip, did some passes, and drove it home. Three weeks later he happened to look under the car and well, there you go.

e; holy loving tables, Batman

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN

Slippery Tilde

Can some kind person upload his pictures and post them? I can't see any of them, on the computer or phone. The picture posted has so much wrong it took a minute to notice the control arms, and now I really want to see the rest of this abomination.

Also I loving love it when kastein tears awful hack jobs apart.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN

Slippery Tilde

That poor XJ. External cages are pretty awesome when done right but that...thing is terrible and being made out of (I assume galvanized) trampoline tubing makes all the worse.

Also I'm pretty sure my loving stock 240 has just as much suspension articulation as his cludged together shitpile, haha.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN

Slippery Tilde

That man's a menace to public safety and shouldn't be allowed within 50 yards of a welder or really any tool that doesn't say PlaySkool on the side.

E; Is that bracket(?) made out of metal or a dish sponge?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN

Slippery Tilde

cursedshitbox posted:

To continue on with heater core hell
[timg]http://i.imgur.com/p5xNYxdl.jpg[/tig]

This was one I did in a discovery II early last year.
FSM says pull the dash. I say dislocate some body parts and pop in behind it. cuts 2 good hours off the time.

Always good when you can find a shortcut

I can't remember if it was a heater core or electrical issue, but the Rover shop I worked at had a Classic LWB come in and needed the dash pulled. The problem was it had sat in the sun for so many years and was so badly damaged that it had shrunk, and unbolting it allowed it to shrink even more, to where all the bolt holes were about half an inch off. Took most of the afternoon massaging it back into place without causing more damage. gently caress anything involving removing dashboards, on any car but especially that one.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN

Slippery Tilde

It's funny, just yesterday I learned that the Cat 793 is the only ultra-class dump truck that still uses a fully mechanical drivetrain, as opposed to the Diesel/Electric drives everyone else uses. It seems to have some downsides.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN

Slippery Tilde

Or, like me, you are in such a blind fury that your only means of getting to work is leaking and overheating again after you replaced the radiator (hooray for EJ25 head gaskets) that you immediately uncork the pressure cap after shutting off the car.

I don't think I've ever moved so loving fast in my life and have no idea how I didn't get my hand scalded. The geyser must have been 15ft high and covered the engine bay, roof, and soaked my hair in coolant. The only excuse I have for myself is that the cap was completely cool to the touch and in my rage that meant it was totally safe, never mind the pegged temperature gauge or the steam coming from under the engine. Grabbed the hose next to the gas station I was at, filled it with I've cold water, rinsed out my hair, and kept driving that fucker for 3 more months before the gaskets finally failed entirely.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN

Slippery Tilde

SouthsideSaint posted:

I am a mechanic in a lovely neighborhood. So that means smoking cars all the time, and if it was that bad I am sure we would have heard more about it. I mean I see mechanics all the time with there face in the engine bay as steam or smoke slowly rises. How else are you going to smell it and know what is going on?

Pro mechanics use all their senses, including taste, to identify leaks that aren't immediately obvious.

Except for gear oil, never taste gear oil.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN

Slippery Tilde

Chinatown posted:

From imgur.

Heh, a guy I went to college with did this to a brand new Chevy Impala rental car (while his '08 WRX was in the shop ). Turns out foot-operated parking brakes aren't so good for "drifting". Unsurprisingly he did not graduate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN

Slippery Tilde

Polymerized Cum posted:

Wow there are like ZERO redeeming features with the Rover KV6. The horsepower and torque are definitely not very impressive for a 2500cc engine in the early 2000s. And they come high in the RPM range - perfect for a 4WD SUV! Was that engine at least smooth, or did it sound cool, ANYTHING?

No, it was pretty much poo poo through and through.

Polymerized Cum posted:

What about the GM 3.1 / 3.4 V6, the one that was in dozens of absolutely forgettable cars from the mid 90s onwards. I haven't heard a single good thing about that engine.

Good things about the 3100, personal anecdotes:

Tolerated being flogged mercilessly on a daily basis, without an oil or filter change, for over a year/33k miles.

Ok I actually can't think of any more, that engine sucked too. At least it was durable.

E; shouldn't have left this tab open so long, I guess

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 19, 2013